• Hanks

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Total voters

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
Hi, Everyone,

Here are the twelve different Villagers & Heroes thirty second influencer ads we showed you all on our recent livestream. We’d love to hear what you think! Who are some of your favorites, and why? Those you didn’t care for as much? Why not?

For those who missed the livestream, to recap: We hired a company who specializes in creating ‘influencer’ advertisements. This company chose all of the individuals you see below. Each individual then played the game, and wrote their own script entirely themselves. The company then edited their filmed clips and put together all of the visuals in the backgrounds for each video.

Each individual appeals to different demographic groups, which is why they were chosen by the company. They are all quite varied as you will see! (Some were as much of a surprise to us as they will be to you. ;)) These ads are currently being rolled out on Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms. The goal of course is to bring new players into Villagers & Heroes, and we are already learning much by watching the numbers and learning which videos are performing better than others. (By ‘better,’ we mean, which videos are directly responsible for new player installs.)

In several months, we will be commissioning a whole new set of influencer ads with different individuals based upon the data these ads generate. We’d love to get your feedback on these current videos, since your perceptions and opinions will greatly help contribute to the next round of ads which go out. Thank you! :D

KEVIN

LISA

JUPITER

ZABRACUS

SONNY

Reactions: KatieElf Queen
  • Likex1

Argus

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Argus Jessengith, Argus Shadow, Argus Skyhawk
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
Next time my lightning warrior will charge i will scream "THUNDER GOD" 🤣. I wished we had a voice system haha.

On a serious note i want to point something here. Apart from kevin none of the ads mentioned this game is cross platform. Neither on their speech nor on the background images. Only at end the steam option (Steam doesn't have cross platform feature, not yet so the official website would have been nice imo) is mentioned. If i am a completely new player and this ads suddenly pops out i would totally missed the cross platform thing. Mobile mmo doesn't have a good impression overall on players due to the fact that their pc version are hundred times superior then the mobile one. But as this game was ported from pc to mobile that quality issue is not there. This has been skipped by almost all of them. At least background image should have displayed desktop with mobile devices.
Also they never mentioned No PVP and failed to mention what good it can bring. So this can lead to few cases where players joined the game and thought they will see pvp which they won't and will be disappointed.

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
I'm no marketing expert, but somethings I'd keep in mind:

1) Avoid being unfaithful to your product. Especially with mobile game ads I see this a lot. Their ads have almost nothing to do with their game. I personally find this pretty horrid, people download the game expecting the things from the ad and they get something entirely different. I'm sure some will leave a bad rating due to this on the playstore. While these ads are not so bad in this regard, it's clear that majority of them have very little knowledge of the game and said some odd things. I'd prefer if it was more faithful to the game which brings me to the 2nd point.

2) Know the strengths of your product. V&H while far from perfect has many great things about it. Some were mentioned, some were not. I think it could be a good idea to have each ad focus on a certain aspect or two (or even more), and empashize those. At least on mobile the average user will most likely see multiple ads from the same game, so they would most likely get the bigger picture even if an ad doesn't list all the good stuff. Somethings that I think many users would appreciate about the game: vast world to discover, PvE only, no PvP, no auto, full fledged crafting and gathering system, regular events, raids, transmog/wardrobe, friendliest community ever, cross platform, constant updates, no P2W only pay for convinience.

3) Know your target audience. I think Diet mentioned this too, I think so as well that knowing who you want to attract to the game is vital. If it's going to be a gang of zoomers coming to bish slap everyone alive and grow swords in their garden then go raid the village vault, I'm sure while it will be fun at first, it will get old and painful for all. Those people will leave anyway, since it won't be the game for them, and not much good will come out of it. If we know who we want to play this game, it will be easier to know what to emphasize (I still think the previously mentioned things would attract the right kind of people who would fit in well).

4) Use your community. Word of mouth is a big thing these days. I'd even say you could launch a referal program, maybe it would motivate some of the current players to have their friends/communities join, or make some content creators more active. The refered people creating their first character, joining AS, buying crowns, reaching a certain level, these could offer some rewards to both players.

5) Understand why people left. While I'm sure there's some ideas/statistics, I think it would be beneficial for future plans/development to see, why people are gone. Maybe send an email after they have been gone for a while? Or an email with a bonus if they comeback? I'm getting off topic here. But it would be good if there was some way to know why people are not players anymore.

Argus

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Platform
Android, PC
Use your community. Word of mouth is a big thing these days. I'd even say you could launch a referal program, maybe it would motivate some of the current players to have their friends/communities join, or make some content creators more active. The refered people creating their first character, joining AS, buying crowns, reaching a certain level, these could offer some rewards to both players.
This could definitely give incentive to the existing and the new players to bring more players into the game. Leading to an effective utilisation of the community itself.

Math Fish

Squirrel
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
For every influencer I will give one of the following ratings:
  • -1 - Counter: Not only is this one just bad, it runs counter to what makes this game and its community great
  • 0 - Awful: I have things to say and all of them are probably bad
  • 1 - Bad: While there are some redeeming features, I'd say this one just won't cut it.
  • 2 - Okay: The good and the bad balance out pretty evenly.
  • 3 - Good: While there are some nit picky things that bring it down a bit, I'd say this one is a good ad for this game.
  • 4 - Awesome: This ad does everything well. It is about as good as a 30-second ad make this quickly is going to get.
Then I will make a statement or two explaining why I thought in more words than "Bad" or "Good".

Kevin - Good
I'd have preferred he stopped with the first 25-ish seconds before that cut-off. The last few seconds of the video almost made this just "Okay" by itself. He does a good job describing what the game looks like on the surface, which I feel is the point of a 30-second ad. He is also the only one who mentions cross-platform, which is one of your big selling points as this was ported from pc rather than from mobile like so many other sh ... crappy games.

Lisa - Awesome
Lisa does a very good job talking about the one thing I love about this game more than anything else you will ever put in: Community, friends, getting together and doing stuff. And the tone gives off a more balanced casual versus hardcore vibe: You are going to go do stuff with friends and have fun, but you are going to craft your armor and make potions to prepare first. There are always events going on and right now it's all about Spooky Druda. I'd actually ask her if she wants to change the event part of the script for Grinchta so that you can keep using that through the Christmas event. Lastly, her voice (similar to the vibe) sounds just like the kind of person I'd expect to see playing Villagers and Heroes.

Jupiter - Bad
She is very ... random. There is no particular structure or order to her script and her posture and delivery of that script is wholly inconsistent. It also appears that minimal effort was put into the script overall: "You can take on world bosses or you can just take on the normal bosses. It's up to you." It's like she doesn't understand why she's doing this ad: To help people make a decision to play *this* game. The only redeeming features are the good things she says about the game.

Zabracus - Okay
The good and the bad kind of run together with this one. More than anything she emphasizes the grand scale of the game and how "THERE IS SO MUCH TO DOOOO", but she doesn't do a particularly good job of communicating through her tone that she (and by extension, you) enjoys doing all these many, many things in the game.

Sonny - Bad
I kinda feel bad putting a bad rating on this one as I can tell she put some effort into thematic phrasing of everything: "I craft my own timber" etc. But unfortunately the inauthentic tone and facial expressions completely ruined this ad for me. Personally, if I saw this ad for a game I would be very, very skeptical.

Sean Ryan? ... No, just Sean - Counter
Sorry Sean, but this Sean doesn't to Villagers and Heroes justice. We have a randomly generated script, grammatical errors, inauthentic delivery, and that ending of being "the king of this land". The people answering this ad will be looking for raids, dungeons, and pvp ... and will be disappointed that there is no pvp. Granted some of our best players love some good pvp, but I'm afraid that those who come here looking for that first thing will be met with disappointment at best and hostility at worst.

Jen - Bad
This one took a few views to get a rating that would stick. The first, and biggest, thing I notice with Jen is that she is looking at her script wayyyyy over there somewhere and NEVER looks at the camera, even when she invites us to be her friend in game. After getting past that, I realized that she actually does a decent job listing a lot of things that exist in the game (and quests twice). That last comment though: "And if you don't HAVE any friends ...". Omg why? There isn't much worse you can do than imply that someone doesn't have any friends inside an ad ... for a game where friends is encouraged.

CLASICKTV - Counter
Oh heck no!! Initially I wasn't even going to comment on this one, but I will give it my best shot anyway. This guy is the antithesis of what I expect to see in this game:
  • He puts far too much emphasis on raids, making them out to be the big thing in game that everything is built around. Raids are but one facet of this game (and a new one at that) and one that a portion of our community has been known to try shoving our so-called "elites" into. Just imagine if a group of actual elites come to Villagers and Heroes. This thought brought to you by Mr. Hot and Heavy.
  • Speaking of hot and heavy, can we not have such lewd insinuations associated with this game, please? And thank you!
  • "A little bit of cookin' in the KITCHen" - a little misogynistic, are we? Perhaps this isn't what he meant, even subconsciously, but that's what it sounded like and that's what matters with ads.
  • "Takin' over the entire village" ... just no.
  • "Are you going to be a villager or are you going to be a hero?" That question goes against the very name of the game: Villagers AND Heroes. In addition it incites more of the hostilities that I, for one, never want to see.

Denise - Good
Denise will absolutely appeal to busybodies and anyone who has that amazing grandma in their lives that everyone loves. Like Zabracus she emphasizes the scale of the game, but she does a much better job of communicating that this this something you will enjoy. She even gave a hint of "this game is addicting" at a couple of points. The only real downside keeping this from being amazing is that the content is not much more than a list of things you can do in game. It is still quite good, but it doesn't quite make it all the way up there.

Gattis - Awful
Apparent humor aside, Gattis really does a poor job of putting ... stuff ... in his ad. He shows a remarkable lack of understanding of MMOs in general, much less Villagers and Heroes. Everything he does put in is just so generic as to leave people clueless. If I saw this ad on social media I would forget what I saw 5 seconds after it started. (notice I didn't say "after it ended")

KHADER - Bad
This one is simple: He's just so inaccurate.
  • There is no hunting in the game. Yes there is a hunter class, but I seriously doubt that is what he meant.
  • "You can even talk to your companions." Given that this is supposed to be a surprise, I actually have no idea what he is talking about here. Are your companions pokemon? players? those cute little 10-minute summons?
  • "You are the hero". In the main quest line ... technically not. But I could see how that could be confused. Outside the technicality, there are very well-known players that are essentially pure villagers or socializers who roam randomly. There is more to this game than the adrenaline rush of being Neo *cough* the One *wheezes* the hero.
His redeeming features are a good delivery and a mostly good order to the script (minus the raids insert).

HANKS - Good
This one is close to awesome. He has an excellent delivery, sounds relatable, and points out both villager and hero components to the game while treating them as equals. Unlike any other influencer, HANKS appeals to both sides of the combat spectrum. The only real downside is that there just seems to be something missing there ... but I can't really put my finger on it. It's like I saw all of it, liked it, and am left wondering "what's next". Perhaps this is a sign of a poor ending? I'm not sure.

Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
Hello All!
First, to everyone who has posted: I LOVE ALL YOUR COMMENTS! Thank you for sharing these. I am taking notes. This is the beautiful part of game development- talking, discussing, iterating, improving, to make the game better and better - and now, finally- the marketing side. Personally, I have always been on the dev/builder side of the game business- but the marketing side matters also- and it's not all about stupid marketing slogans. It's about really really trying to understand the game on a deep level - and more specifically, on how the game speaks to and resonates with the community- all of you-- and then, perhaps the hardest part, trying to find a way to communicate that in a short video! It's really really really really really really hard :) We need Don Draper from Mad Men here to figure this out- well, I guess, maybe better would be the otter equivalent, so instead Don Otter from Mad Men Mad Otter. :)

This process is interesting: We put some ideas down on paper and send them to the ad company- the influencers then react to the game and our notes - then, we post their videos here on the forums (and on the Twitch livestream) - and all of you react to the influencer's reactions to the game. Then, we read over all of your reactions, and we react to them (by coming up with a new set of directives for a second batch of ads-- so it's a reaction to your reactions to the influencer's reactions to the game. This is not an exaggeration... and with the second batch the cycle will continue again.

By the way, during the Twitch livestream, one of the more astute viewers noted that "In the end, our opinions don't matter- it's really all about conversion rate." To some extent, that is true. We are carefully monitoring the metrics to see which videos do the best, and those are the ones we'll use more.

However, community feedback from all of you does REALLY HELP US. It is in this way: in the future, we will make new videos- and to make the new videos we want to combine the best elements for a new set. The metrics we get back from the campaign don't have this level of detail- they only tell us which ones are doing well, but they don't tell us WHY. That's where human judgment is needed. Perhaps you all like one influencer for a specific reason ("beards!" or "he's funny!" or "she comes across as a real player", etc.)-- and maybe there's a specific element apart from the influencer that really appeals to you- for example, maybe you love a line like "I was a total hermit as a gamer" or you like a video for the specific reason that it emphasizes cross-platform. That's what really helps us - hearing some specific comments.

The poll itself is also really good, too, even though it doesn't have that level of detail, but it does help us to measure community feedback vs. the metrics we get from the campaign. We are doing the same thing with our own internal opinions- seeing not only where we accurately predicted a successful influencer, but also where we were happily surprised when someone we thought wasn't very good, actually does well.

So, thanks for sharing your views on these!
Damon

p.s. Apologies that some of the ads are off point and have made some big errors about the game itself- like, "will you be a villager or a hero?", etc. Influencers spend a few hours playing and making the vids, so they don't have a deep understanding of the game. Future video iterations will have tighter scripts, and should hone in more tightly on an accurate portrayal of the game.

Sultan

Hero
Characters
Account Deleted!
Platform
Android
Idk Ads is Good Idea or bad but some people are Criticizing it.

I find some Ads Quite Cringey. What I mean by that is... some of the Character faces on video doesn't match too well and some of them having bad timing on Showing stuff and few of them Cover the mobile Screen Just Reading Script..

The Thing about ads is... that many youtubers will make a fun of it and the meme Community will turn our ads into meme and it most likely gonna get 90% Dislike ratio on YouTube If it's pop up on YouTube ad in Home page...

Why did I said it may turn into meme?
Because it's remind me one of the Rpg Game ad where the Lady says "OMG IS HE FLYING?! NOW WAY"
That part made me Laugh so Hard. 😂
And it became a meme. But it's dead

When its come to ad. Influencers are not Neccessary. If you use their voice in the Background and hide their faces. It will make it better.

Other than that. I voted for 2 of them that are Kinda good for it.

Reactions: Argus
  • Likex1

Argus

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Platform
Android, PC
My personal favourite villagers and heroes trailer 👇🏼
Within 30 seconds it actually show nice portion of actual gameplay, zones, crafting and cross platform.
I agree with sultan. Many places the acting was turn into overacting with inaccurate gameplay trailer. If without face showing it can be done with a well written script and only using the voice could have been nice.

Imp

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Impresario | Divindi
Platform
iOS, PC
In my opinion, thanks to Math Fish, we can close the thread. :ROFLMAO: Math Fish provided excellent analysis and I have nothing to add beyond his feedback.

Reactions: Nadiria and Ize
  • Lovex1
  • Likex1

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Indeed Math Fish's feedback is fantastic and much appreciated!

Though on a side note, we totally have hunting in the game! Going out into the wilds, finding animals to kill for their pelts and resources, well that's as close to a hunting mechanic as it gets :D

Reactions: Nadiria and BadgerReborn
  • Likex2

AraldirR

Citizen
Characters
Amaranth Ashrose
Platform
PC
This’s just a personal reflexion…

We live in a global world, technology has made everybody can access contents in a fast and easy way. There’ll be millions of options, and you’ll see millions of ads wherever you go. If you’re a developer or creative, you’ll want to announce your product and make people believe how good it is, but even if you have got a wonderful project in your hands, if you publicize it a standard way the others do, people will surely never know how worth your product is to try. You can hire an agency and the 90% they’ll be showing you is a standard ad they’ve made before to anyone else. Your ads can be starred by influencers/youtubers or others supposed to be the stars of the moment. That won’t make your message believable most of the times, because they’ll surely sound like a bunch of “blahblahblah”, and hypothetical clients will think “I have heard/watched this before, haven’t I?”. You can’t catch the attention of someone, if that someone doesn’t think what you’re saying is interesting or different.
Perhaps the great question is, what makes an ad good or useful? As simple as, an ad can be good if there’s authenticity and truth behind it, and if some originality or difference is shown respect to the sea where all ads announcing similar products are (and your product will be in the same sea than the others… and you’ll have to survive the fierce competitiveness out there). If you have strong points, use them. If you have fortitudes, use them.

So, I wonder:
  • Why don’t you, developers, show yourselves and the true playerbase of V&H in an ad? Why should I remember an ad of those and think V&H ca be worth to try because… where is the originality there?
  • You’ve got a cross-platform. Why don’t you use all the potential, and just stay with a little part of it?
  • You don’t have abussive politics with players. This’s something many video games companies can’t say.
  • You take direct part in events in servers. Many others will never do that.
  • You listen to your players. Other developers live in their cloud world, and act like a fictional entity who’s there but the player will never have direct contact with it.
  • What range of age group has got money? Perhaps some people won’t agree, but (with some little excepcions) a 18 years old person won’t have much money as usual (not speaking of younger ones, it can be even worse). What’s the target public of this campaign? Perhaps if you make it 25-50 years old(or even a bit more, there’re players in V&H even in their seventies) can bring better results.

Well. Enough for now, and enough to think, I guess. Apart from it, wish you a truly successful campaign. V&H deserves the best, sure it does <3

Stella StormSong

Huntress
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I appreciate that you guys came to us, the players, for a sounding board on your foray into advertising. In some ways, we know your game better than you do! For my 2 cents, these 'Influncers' largely missed connecting on an emotional level. Ive been playing V&H over 6 years, Ive been a volunteer Moderator for you for over 3 years. I understand you are looking to attract people, but I'd like to tell you what makes people Stay.

V&H is immersive, lets face it, the world is NUTS, V&H is our escape. Id have future ads inform potential players that V&H has over 100 unique zones, each full of detail and creativity. There is rich lore, hell the questlines are written by a screenwriter! V&H isnt a game, its a world. You wanna smash bosses? you can; wanna fish in peace for an hour? you can; wanna run around with people from all over the world killing mobs? you can.
Play to your strengths: quality, creativity and versatility. Your game is not like the hundreds of other toxic, P2W, carbon copy mmos out there.

I second Imp's statement that MathFish broke down each clip thoughtfully and thoroughly, so I wont be redundant.
Good luck in your adventures in advertising!
~Stell

Characters
Tiffa, Kitty Witch
Platform
Android, PC
I think the Otters should contact some of YouTube's gaming reviewers like Biffa @ "Biffa Plays Indie Games" and Seniac @ Seniac & Seniac Two
to have them review the games, both do City Skylines game tutorials and review other game.

Reactions: Nadiria
  • Likex1

Argus

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Platform
Android, PC
Agreed, look into sponsoring a YouTuber to play the game. LazyPeon springs to mind instantly.
That is most effective way which all the big titles do but i believe that is very costly. But hopefully in future there will be some twitch livestream from professional gamers. That can be a good advertising.

AraldirR

Citizen
Characters
Amaranth Ashrose
Platform
PC
Last edited
That is most effective way which all the big titles do but i believe that is very costly. But hopefully in future there will be some twitch livestream from professional gamers. That can be a good advertising.
Yes, true. What reminds me of: there're speedrun events almost every week (schedules're usually posted in horaro.org), and most of those will be streamed in twitch. Some are not that small and are watched/followed by thousands of people, as well as will make people discover games they didn't know existed . What about ESA and Awesome Games Done Quick? contacting a speedrunner who takes part and do a showcase, or even making a little sponsoring in ESA or AGDQ (those who sponsor these events're publicized a great way while the shows last, and ESA/AGDG last for a week each).
Concluding, this can be another alternative way to be added as possibility, because can help to make V&H more known and it's not as expensive as others :)

Reactions: Argus
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
I had to drop a cross-platform game earlier this year because they decided the PC market simply was not worth the expense and effort of maintaining. Their reasoning was that the move would have near zero impact on the average player because everyone pretty much has mobile capability these days, and at its worst, this would only amount to a minor inconvenience to the overwhelming majority of its player base. As one of the underwhelming minority of the player base, I was instructed to exercise option B and play on PC via an emulator. I opted for option C. I dropped the game and spent more time on other titles like Villagers and Heroes.

After watching all of these ads I'm wondering if, in hindsight, I made the right decision. In not one of these clips was the SAC for PC even mentioned. All of the influencers were playing on mobile and the majority of them closed with the line "Available on Android, ios, and Steam." Kevin was the only one that made mention of the fact that the game had true cross-platform capability that allows users to play the same account on mobile and PC. Aside from Kevin, Jen was the only one that even uttered the word PC, but I think she may have meant Steam when she did so. Do you feel that mobile play needs the extra push or, are you, like my other game, relegating PC users to the dinosaur bin of history? I ran across a mobile player the other day that was mind-blown to learn he could download the game on PC and asked me how long that option had been available. After these ads go out, I imagine I will be running into more players like that on a regular basis. If I did not already know V&H was a PC game, I would certainly not learn so from the majority of these ads. I can understand why you would want to feature mobile play in order to attract that growing market. What I don't understand is the deemphasis on the PC version. Perhaps it's unintended, but it's there all the same.

Okay, that's the end of my semi-rant. As for my impresion of the ads, I tend to disagree with Math Fish on several of them. I found all of them to have elements that I liked and disliked. If I were to score them on a 1-10 scale, I would have given them all 7's and 8's, so why bother? Well... I would have given most of them 7's and 8's, but there were 2 in particular that stood out from the rest...

CLASICKTV & GATTIS

These two guys stand out from the others because they both excell at being awful. I'll give credit to Gattis for actually looking at the game enough to have an idea what it might be about, which is more than I can say for ClasickTV. The demographic these guys would attract to the game is one I would rather see stay far, far away. Their followers will come on the game to find that it IS moderated and does NOT have PvP, at which point they will scurry off to give you a 1-score on the google playstore. Whether or not some of them will remain to troll us is yet to be determined but we can always hope not.
These are the kind of guys a father does NOT want to see his daughter bring home to meet the family. If my stepdaughter had drug one of them across the doorstep, my first thought would be to formulate contingency plans on how best to dispose of the body.