• Note: The forums are now a part of the new V&H website. For technical reasons, existing users will need to log back in with their forum username and password. Forum accounts are separate from game accounts - if you have forgotten your forum username or password, you can reset it here.

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
Thornhide - Has 30% chance upon taking damage to deal X% damage to the attacker based on your armor+magic resist. Higher amount of Thornhide increases X (damage conversion from armor and magic resist), while higher armor and magic resist increases your damage too.

Retaliation is coming with Earth shaman (although you could say Blasting was sorta like that too), and I figured it could be a good time to make tanky characters less of a pain to level, doing dailies with. Tanks pretty much only shine in group situations, where they can do what they meant to: take hits, keeping others safe, and letting other people do the killing. The trade off for high defense is usually a lack of offense, and while that's fair, I do believe adding ways that turns defense into offense (while not making it more viable than regular dps setups) is something worth exploring.

We already have Juggernaut which kinda favours high Health based (tanky) builds and Berserker (tanky/melee), but nothing that interacts with the increased resistances of a tank. That's why I feel like Thornhide could be a good addition. It shouldn't deal insane amounts of damage, glass cannons deserve that privilege, but could offer a damage boost that would make them a bit more viable in damage and easier to level and play outside group setting.

What are your thoughts on this?

Zellgoddess

Warrior
Platform
Steam
blasting already dose some of that not based on armor or magic resist but it dose damage to your attacker when you are attacked.

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
The warrior classes are my least favorite in the game for the simple reason that I play solo a lot and combat takes so long to resolve. While I do have a couple I have not really played them enough to give any real insight, but I think the idea is worthy of some consideration.

• Likex1

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Stormborne
Platform
Android, PC
@Zellgoddess Yes and I mentioned it in my post too. However Blasting scales with itself only and it is an AoE damage. Thornhide on the other hand is single target (though yes it could hurt multiple enemies granted it procs on each attack) and it scales with defensive stats. Blasting is good for any class, while Thornhide focuses on tanky setups. Surely it could work somewhat different like Berserker (Thornhide actives after getting hit 20 times, and gives a retalition buff for 15 seconds), it's the general theme I felt worthy of exploration, turning defense into offense.

@Littlenymph thank you, I guess with Earth Shaman we'll see how good is retaliation and if there's any demand from players to have something like Thornhide :)

Roak

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Last edited
For having level up as a tank pre-Starfall,I think tanks are now doing good when it comes to deal damages,but I like your Thornhide idea.

(Leveling up as a tank was a pain pre-Starfall,but now everything's fine,imo).

• Likex1

Zellgoddess

Warrior
Platform
Steam
sadly starfall really did a number on warriors. as there really are not any defining traits between tanks and non tanks as far as warriors.
swords with swashing can no longer be used with shields, strength of arms is not as great as it should be to stop using over a shield for a fury warrior. seriously fury warrior can still maintain high end damage and using a shield lets them be just as tanky as any lightning warrior tank. vis versa any lightning warrior tank can maintain a decent amount of damage to easily keep up with any fury warrior.

there is no defining points between the them anymore other then when a lightning warrior goes pure tank they drop below a margin for damage. the same is sadly not said for fury warrior going all out damage you can still maintain a decent amount of defense.

Characters
Tiffa, CyberElf
Platform
Android, PC
sadly starfall really did a number on warriors. as there really are not any defining traits between tanks and non tanks as far as warriors.
swords with swashing can no longer be used with shields, strength of arms is not as great as it should be to stop using over a shield for a fury warrior. seriously fury warrior can still maintain high end damage and using a shield lets them be just as tanky as any lightning warrior tank. vis versa any lightning warrior tank can maintain a decent amount of damage to easily keep up with any fury warrior.

there is no defining points between the them anymore other then when a lightning warrior goes pure tank they drop below a margin for damage. the same is sadly not said for fury warrior going all out damage you can still maintain a decent amount of defense.
In the new upcomming update you will be able to use your Shield while having Strength of arms or Swashing According to the Twich feeds ( during the Hack downtime) on all 3 Warrior power sets