Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Last edited
Hey y’all and welcome to my Lightning/Hybrid Warrior tank build guide nicknamed as the „Storm” (due to all the constant lightning/fury attacks). The first part of the build will showcase the base build while the second part will show off its 2 variants (more are possible and if you feel like it do experiment and let me know how it went), the Mana Storm and the Fury Storm. It’s important to note that this is an endgame focused build, which requires multiple rebirths (Mana Storm 4 rbs, Fury Storm 5rbs) and assumes you will have a socketed out gear.

The Storm base build (1 rebirth)
The Storm is a dps focused tank, capable of soloing heroic raids, or be the main tank of any group content, including heroic ladder runs, rift, elder 95 and EZ group activities. It offers good survivability and decent damage.

1) Origin
enchantThorncrest.jpgThorncrest. As the Storm focuses on having just enough defense to be a proper tank and everything else in damage/utility. For this purpose Thorncrest offers the most as it increases our damage output considerably.

2) Talents
www.villagers-and-heroes.com/talentbuilder/#?v=0,5,10,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,5,0,20,30,40

3) Feats
frenziedStrike.jpgPummel.pngThunderbirdStrike.jpgLightningBolt.jpgThunderbolt.pngPhoenixStrike.pngSword_slash.png
Weapon/Talent feats: Frenzied Strike, Pummel, Thunderbird Strike, Lightning Bolt, Thunderbolt, Phoenix Strike, Slash

Sword_titanicPower.pngSword_griffin.png
Extra Feat slot (Weapon): Titanic Power / Griffin Strike

Sword_surgingHowl.jpgTurnTheTide.png
Necklace Feat: Howling Surge / Turn the Tide

ExplosiveAnger.pngStormInfusion.png
Bracer Feat: Explosive Anger / Storm Infusion (whichever mastery is lower)

brutalForce.jpgzephyrsEnclave.jpg
Trinket Feats: Brutal Force/Zephyr’s Enclave (Honorable mentions: Deadly Tactics / Momentum Shift)

4) Stats
Masteries:
Try to keep them even or Lightning a tad bit ahead. This ensures maximum damage output, but not maximum threat (for maximum threat you need to invest a lot more into Lightning, around 75%-25% split)
Armor/Magic resist: ~45% can be with relic boost or without. Glory will boost you above 50% which is enough for any kind of content.
Vitality: ~280k without boosts. Try to have Vitality in every piece of gear where it’s possible.
Vigor/Intellect/Will/Clarity: No need to invest into these at all. Or if you do only a single stat rune for intellect/will/clarity, as food buffs, Surging Howl, Mana restoring talents and Mana potions will help us sustain our Mana.
Haste: 20-25%, with relic buff. Frenzied Strike will offer a big bump to this stat so it’s not a huge issue if it’s not super high by itself.
Expertise: 40-45%, probably the most important of all the stats, as it lets you use your feats more often.
Savagery: 20% at least with Thorncrest buff, but ideally a bit higher (23%).
Brutality: 190% at least with Thorncrest buff, but ideally a bit higher (200%).

5) Epic stats/ Glyphs
Primary:
These should be your main goals on gear, they offer the most for our setup. At lvl 95 try to aim for 30-35k of these.
Glory: By far the best epic stat to have. Great boost to offense and defense. When it’s a possible stat roll on a gear, you want it. Aim for at least 4% offense and 7% defense boost per stack.
Poise: Amazing in group (with a healer) a bit rougher in solo, Poise offers a decent permanent damage boost to both Fury and Lightning feats. Try to aim for 12-13% Ability Power.
Berserk: Just like Poise it shines more in group content as you usually get hit more. Try to aim for 14-15% Ability Power.
Flux: Works well in any setting and it boosts our Ability Power just like the other Primary epic stats. Try to aim for 12-13% Ability Power at least.

Secondary: Useful stats to have just not as much as our primary ones.
Onslaught/Void Strike/Juggernaut/Blasting: All of these offer some extra damage to our build. It’s more of a personal choice how much of each of these you’d want. Onslaught is good as it increases total damage and is a guaranteed activation every fight, but only at the start. Void Strike and Juggernaut can proc (5% chance) any time during a fight, with Void Strike being stronger against heavily armored enemies and Juggernaut hitting harder against the less defensive ones. Blasting has a higher proc chance (10%) and it deals AoE damage around you, which is useful in fights with multiple mobs nearby. My personal recommendation is to pick 2-3 of these to focus on and keep them evenish (at lvl 95 around ~15k each).

Tertiary: Try to avoid these they offer very little to the build.
Lifesteal: Healing should be a non issue, especially if you have a healer so Lifesteal is kinda moot.
Shielding: No, never.
Magic Find: If you wanna farm some epic/legendary gear, sure, but this build is focused on pushing the warrior class to its combat limit and as such it has no place in it.

6) Relics
Bitter chalice / Ember Chalice (Swamp / Orla's Veldt):
Bitter Chalice boosts our haste and its active ability (Rage) is a great damage boost, however you gotta use it carefully as it will stun you at its end. A more safer and AoE option is Ember Chalice, boosting Juggernaut while its active is an AoE DoT. Both picks are decent, so go with whichever feels better for your playstyle.
Book of the Dead/Grimoire of Fire (Cloister / Orla's Veldt): Grimoire of Fire is the optimal pick here, at least damage wise, especially since it's cooldown was reduced by a lot lately. But if you feel that you could use a bit more Mana boost or you are a fellow Mo fan, Book of the Dead it is.
Grim lantern (Cloister): A sweet boost to movement speed and Flux. Alternatively if your Health is too low get Hinkypunk lantern.
Primal Flute (Woods): CDR (cooldown reduction) boost, and a nice little active feat to go along with it.
Mirror of Echoes (Rookery): Poise boost, and we love Poise.
Crimson Mask (Palace): Glory boost, and an extra summon ability for some more damage.
Dead Crown / Red Crown (Cloister / Palace): If you are main tanking harder content go with Dead Crown as it offers extra survivability with its increased dodge chance and Magic Resist. If you are tanky enough or doing less damage heavy content take Red Crown, as it will boost Crit chance and also give an AoE dps/stun feat.

7) Blight Enchants
The goal of Blight enchants is to make up for potential bad stat rolls on gear. And as such try to get those stat numbers up a bit. Some potential picks: Vitality/Magic Resist/Haste for necklace and rings. For trinkets Flux (Jacinda)/Berserk (Lannox) whichever is lower.

8) Consumables
Blighted Mana Rolls, Blighted Fish Fillet, Hearty Brunch, Turgrid Dram of Liberty (for CC heavy encounters) / Blighted Dram of Malice. Major Mana (lvl 90) potions (or if you are very rich can go for Blighted Mana potions). Bottomless Half Heal / Mana are both handy to have. For some even more boost to Health and Mana, if you have plenty Charter Tokens, get Royal Health/Mana increasers (45 min buff).

9) Fabled Gear
With the addition of Fabled sets the question rises, is it worth running some pieces of it in a hybrid tanking build. The biggest issue is the loss of glyphs, which often boost the power of both fury and lightning feats, which means losing one makes it worse for both. Another thing to consider is that each set seem to only offer boost to its own mastery, which is yet again somewhat detrimental to a hybrid build. But let's take a look at these sets and their viability in our build.

a) Storm Guardian Set: As it is now, it is not worth it in any capacity. The focus of this set is to increase threat generation, which is already fairly good for this build. The 4 piece bonus offers some extra damage boost, however it is a very heavy investment to lose 4 glyphs for it, and most certainly not worth it.
b) Ravager Set: The fury variant is more up to debate and personal preference. The two piece bonus is a potential damage increase if you can lose a secondary or an overly high primary glyph. So going for a 2 piece bonus seems like a good choice, but even so not going for it won't maek your damage much worse, the difference is negligible. Going deeper in I wouldn't recommend as you'll be sacrificing quite a bit more and as a hybrid build you can't capitalize as much on the bonuses as a pure fury could.

10) Tips and Tricks
a) Try to use Zephyr’s Sanctum right after your big cooldowns (Brutal Force/Surging Howl/Titanic Power) to maximize its effect.
b) Titanic Power is a great utility skill, it can be used defensively (like against brawler bosses under 30%) or offensively to reset Titanic Wrath.
c) Always use Frenzied Strike/Rage before using Brutal Force so you can use more feats in that 5 second 100% crit chance window.

Dawnfire

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Last edited
3221-137b29a84f7fd2a17aac0202ace93d21.jpgMana Storm
Mana Storm is a more relaxed and chill variant of the two. It reinforces Mana sustain, so I’d recommend it to those who’d prefer to ease on Mana potion drinking or would enjoy a rotation that is less button mashy (it still is, just not as much as the Fury variant).

1) Talents
https://villagersandheroes.com/talentbuilder/#?v=0,5,10,0,0,0,0,0,0,5,15,5,0,20,30,40
Heart of the Mountain is the staple talent of this build. With this addition to the base build, you’ll be a lot more Mana efficient, making this build fairly chill to play. It’s my usual setup, and my Mana reserves very much like it. 5 points in Marat’s Vitality also gives some more leeway in tanking.

2) Feat
Sword_titanicPower.png
Extra feat slot: Titanic Power. A defensive and offensive ability in one. My go to panic button if things start going south, or if I need an extra dps boost. It also further enhances the more chill vibe of this variant because you can’t spam it.
Sword_surgingHowl.jpg
Necklace Feat: Howling Surge (gives even more Mana sustain).

3) Tips and Tricks
a) Don't use Mana potions unless you are very low on Mana (ideally under 15-20%). This due to the Wolf Song kicking in under 30% max Mana, which doubles the Mana regeneration boost from the talent, so you should try to maximize its effectiveness (using Mana pots sooner either keeps you out of this buff or takes you over the 30% threshold too quickly, so you can't profit from it).

3219-d03c05984bb45b0e9bac7fd5b235d6fe.jpgFury Storm
Fury Storm is for those who really wanna push the Hybrid way, and maximize their damage while still being a tank. Damage increase compared to base/Mana variant depends on the content you are running. Single target heavy encounters it can be 10-15% overall increase, while in mostly group fights it’s around ~5%.

1) Talents
https://villagersandheroes.com/talentbuilder/#?v=0,5,10,20,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,5,0,20,30,40
With the addition of Seething Anger to the base build it will increase our single target damage considerably, while Bloodlust will also offer a bit of Mana sustain, although not as strong as Mana Storm’s Heart of the Mountain.

2) Feat
Sword_griffin.png
Extra feat slot: Griffin Strike. Griffin Strike synergizes perfectly with Seething Anger and Bloodlust, and is the best dps increase you can pick.
Sword_surgingHowl.jpgTurnTheTide.png
Necklace Feat: Howling Surge (My pick, it helps with Mana sustain) / Turn the Tide (I’d only consider it for group play, as in solo the extra dps it gives is little).

3) Tips and Tricks
a) Try to keep both Griffin Strike and Slash constantly on your target, to improve the damage of your Phoenix Strike and Basic Attack due to Seething Anger's buff.

If you have any questions, comments, let me know! Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed my guide feel free to check out my other works too.

Grz

Reader
Platform
  1. Android
Last edited
Cool guide! I have swords for every occasion and it's cool to see the same runes you describe in this guide are found on a number of them too. I just have a few questions.

Except running Mana Storm build, how many lv90 mana pots do you burn per the ffg: H1 raid / Emp Ladder / Singular Prisma / Lv95 Elder / H1 15-man / Rift. And do you often need half mana pots to aid your mana recovery?

And, do you put Void Strike and Juggernaut runes on purpose or they just happen to be there on your best gear?

Lastly, when running your Storm base build, how would you gauge your heal-reliance on a Holy Priest, using Emp Ladder or Rift run as reference, using the ffg as rough guides:
0% being you don't need them at all at any point during the run
10% being you feel that mass heal is enough
20% you also need restore
25% you feel that as long as you constantly have Bless buff you don't need big heals
33% one big heal to save your hide per boss
100% being you need care all the time or you will drop dead any moment
This is all assuming you will never use a half-heal or the like to cover you up in times of need.

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1

Dawnfire

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Except running Mana Storm build, how many lv90 mana pots do you burn per the ffg: H1 raid / Emp Ladder / Singular Prisma / Lv95 Elder / H1 15-man / Rift. And do you often need half mana pots to aid your mana recovery?
I usually run Mana Storm, because it is convinient but can test out the Mana hungriness on said encounters on Fury Storm. Something to note though, as most of the encounters you listed are group based, it can heavily depend wether there's a water shaman and how the group itself performs. On solo heroic though, I did Cloister on Fury Storm and consumed ~5 lvl 90 pots + used bottomless mana (both Bloodlust and Thunderclap offer a bit of Mana sustain, so it's not all bad).

And, do you put Void Strike and Juggernaut runes on purpose or they just happen to be there on your best gear?
I think all of the secondary epic stats are just simply there, because other alternatives were less desireable (or I still did not end up with the perfect roll). I don't think I used any stat runes to improve them.

Lastly, when running your Storm base build, how would you gauge your heal-reliance on a Holy Priest, using Emp Ladder or Rift run as reference,
You need a healer, however it's not like you'll be dead in seconds (but again it can depend on the encounter, if you got a brawler boss with crit boost, you'll need more attention, but you can pop Titanic Power in those times and get through it). In raids depending on the tier and group size, you can do without a healer even, but higher tier and higher group sizes will warrant one, and while it's hard to give a number, i think in general you should take up only a fraction of a healer's healing attention (I'd sy 25-35% at most). This goes for Rift/Emp Ladder too, so unless you get a nasty rune combo at Rakicia or some heavy critting boss, you won't be needing constant heals.

Did I answer your question?

P.S.: what is ffg?

Grz

Reader
Platform
  1. Android
I usually run Mana Storm, because it is convinient but can test out the Mana hungriness on said encounters on Fury Storm. Something to note though, as most of the encounters you listed are group based, it can heavily depend wether there's a water shaman and how the group itself performs. On solo heroic though, I did Cloister on Fury Storm and consumed ~5 lvl 90 pots + used bottomless mana (both Bloodlust and Thunderclap offer a bit of Mana sustain, so it's not all bad).

I think all of the secondary epic stats are just simply there, because other alternatives were less desireable (or I still did not end up with the perfect roll). I don't think I used any stat runes to improve them.

You need a healer, however it's not like you'll be dead in seconds (but again it can depend on the encounter, if you got a brawler boss with crit boost, you'll need more attention, but you can pop Titanic Power in those times and get through it). In raids depending on the tier and group size, you can do without a healer even, but higher tier and higher group sizes will warrant one, and while it's hard to give a number, i think in general you should take up only a fraction of a healer's healing attention (I'd sy 25-35% at most). This goes for Rift/Emp Ladder too, so unless you get a nasty rune combo at Rakicia or some heavy critting boss, you won't be needing constant heals.

Did I answer your question?

P.S.: what is ffg?
Yes, thank you for indulging me. 😁

I missed the part where you said Mana Storm was your usual setup so I assumed Storm base was your default build and it was looking painful to be sustainable in the long term unless you have pre-crafted several vault pages of lv90+ mana pots before the mana patch went live. I left my LW the same build as your mana storm except I have 10 on mana and 10 on vitality.

About the Void strike/Juggernaut I personally don't think they were worth any rune slot invested in as compared to the skill+ runes. Would've asked why if you thought they were a good idea.

Ffg is following.

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Happyx1

Dawnfire

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Updated the original post a bit to reflect on current raid season's changes, namely Relic changes and Fabled gear

Reactions: Xantia and Ashrelia
  • Likex2