Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Thank you, to Everyone! To all the organizers who worked so put this event on, and to all the players who showed up, all in their best outfits to show the beautiful spirit of the community. I am always amazed at all of your creativity and aesthetics when I go to events like these.

We set a record today! There were 250 players in one zone at one time. The original tech requirement for V&H was to be able to handle 50 players at once... so we have exceeded that amount by far. This was a great stress test. Of course, we don't expect that players should be able to do 250-person raids, or anything crazy like that, but extreme stress tests like today give us assurance that the game servers can handle a normal load of 50 people in a single zone at once.

Behind the scenes, the otters were collecting video footage to use in some upcoming advertisements- we got a lot of great footage that was smooth and hitch-free. When the ads are complete, we'll post them for you to see.

Happy May Day :)
Damon

Characters
Joycelynn, Kaylann
Platform
iOS, PC
Thank you, to Everyone! To all the organizers who worked so put this event on, and to all the players who showed up, all in their best outfits to show the beautiful spirit of the community. I am always amazed at all of your creativity and aesthetics when I go to events like these.

We set a record today! There were 250 players in one zone at one time. The original tech requirement for V&H was to be able to handle 50 players at once... so we have exceeded that amount by far. This was a great stress test. Of course, we don't expect that players should be able to do 250-person raids, or anything crazy like that, but extreme stress tests like today give us assurance that the game servers can handle a normal load of 50 people in a single zone at once.

Behind the scenes, the otters were collecting video footage to use in some upcoming advertisements- we got a lot of great footage that was smooth and hitch-free. When the ads are complete, we'll post them for you to see.

Happy May Day :)
Damon
Although I wasn’t able to enjoy it, I am happy that you were able to gather the footage you needed. This game is great and the fact that so many ppl participated in the event, it was definitely a success! I am looking forward to seeing those ads! Congratulations, Otters!
😁✌🏼

Reactions: IrishElf
  • Lovex1

Zyani

Jack Of All Trades
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zyani,Borghilde,Jitlayda+4more
Platform
PC
it was just a big chaos, everyone started running around, too many chats made it impossible to even know what had to be done.
Even after repeatebly asking what it was we where supposed to do i got no answer at all.
No fun if you do not know what is expected so left.

Bluerider

Reader
Platform
PC
Last edited
Help the Otters create fantastic video footage of our game in a fun-filled server vs server competition and celebration! Games, prizes, and of course mayhem await!

Once the five server teams have been formed, well, then, let the games begin! We won’t tell you just what we have in mind for you all, you will all just simply have to come and find out!
Calling May Day Mayhem a server vs. server event created many expectations Quite a few players from EU2 went to great length to prep for May Day Mayhem by leveling up their new (or old) toons to a level where they would be able to participate in the festivities without being constantely attacked by mobs (same probably is true for ppl from the other visiting servers) . People from US3 wrote in world chat about buying new outfits to showcase the warddrobe possibilities. The EC put in a lot of time and work and players where asked to log onto US3 well in advance to join the server guilds. But your announcement stated
Games - one game that didn't really work because of too many chats and terrible lags and the second game was over before a lot of players realized what was happening and what they were supposed to do (+ players with 100 or 150 speed competing against 215/240 or higher speed was kind of useless) .
Prizes - Check for EU2 and hpefully all servers
Celebration - Running around a tree is imo not a typical party activity neither is forming a long line of players (or was that another game?)

The way the "event" went most of the expectations were not met and that caused a lot of grumbling.

So for the next time think about this:
Most if not all players will probably be willing to help you out if you want to stress test the servers. The same goes for showing up to create video footage for some new ads for V&H.
Just tell us in advance (e.g. via forums) what you want US to do and and limit the number of people giving aut orders to one or two. Moreover make sure they only post in zone- or group- oder guild chat, depending on the number of people involved!
If you want to create video footage with a lot of players don't be too spontaneous with regard to what's going to happen and rather give us a basic script like:
1. Players sit in groups around telepad
2. Players move to point X on the map and do ... (movement can be random, or as a group, mounted/dismounted.... just tell us!)
3. Players gather at location X and dance/run/jump.....

We really want to help YOU so please tell US what you plan - and server vs. server event should only happen on the forum. Maybe it's because I'm German but for my taste we had too little fun and lots of mayhem ;)

Reactions: Perlio and Fluffed
  • Lovex1
  • Likex1

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
I was thinking, that if the Devs would like videos of our players engaged in group activities... maybe they should have a contest? 🤔

Something like... players may submit unedited videos of their group activities (dance parties, crafting parties, drake parades, fashion shows, etc)... featuring 20 players or more, along with a list of all the players who participated. If the Devs use their footage, as part of an ad... then all players listed as participating in the video, will receive a prize.

Devs would need to set time limits for each video and tell us if they should be recorded with character names shown or not... they might also suggest some activities or map locations they'd like us to use. Prizes could be something simple like Crowns or premium consumables... OR something unique... like a new Troubadour fashion. 🙂

Jytal

Servant of Mallok
Platform
iOS
I was thinking, that if the Devs would like videos of our players engaged in group activities... maybe they should have a contest? 🤔

Something like... players may submit unedited videos of their group activities (dance parties, crafting parties, drake parades, fashion shows, etc)... featuring 20 players or more, along with a list of all the players who participated. If the Devs use their footage, as part of an ad... then all players listed as participating in the video, will receive a prize.

Devs would need to set time limits for each video and tell us if they should be recorded with character names shown or not... they might also suggest some activities or map locations they'd like us to use. Prizes could be something simple like Crowns or premium consumables... OR something unique... like a new Troubadour fashion. 🙂
They actually did that last year (see link to post below) but the only ads that I've seen for VnH were the ones they shown on a livestream back in December that were made by 12 influencers that were commissioned (see other link).

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Malys Rath

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Malys Rath, Malystorm
Platform
PC
Anyone who went into this not expecting lag and chaos had rather unrealistic expectations. I'm sorry that it affected the enjoyment of players who weren't attending the event, but it really didn't last that long, and it was a unique experience for those of us who were there. It was a chance for us to support our game and the devs who make it possible for us to share this world. There or not, everyone received generous gifts, and I, for one, had a great time being a part of it, stinky eggs and all lol. Thanks devs, for all your hard work, and thanks to the moderators of the event, whose job must have been a lot like herding feral cats lol...