Characters
BashaDrake, Elmeti, Knytro
Platform
Android
The Quality of Life thread is full of many great and interesting ideas, but it's also hard to work through to find things already covered. I thought this was one of the more talked about ideas, so wanted it to have its own thread.

Separating Guilds from Villages has a lot of good points. Right now the only advantage of being in a Guild without a private village is a dedicated chat channel ( and the members to talk to, but that's not a game feature). Small Guilds don't have dedicated storage unless they can control a village. Larger Guilds are always worried about losing control of the Village. Having Guilds tied to villages is a source of stress, not community.

The ability for Guilds to create a dedicated Guild Hall would make a space for the Guild to come together without needing to have houses in the same place.
I see the Guild Hall as a large room, like Liliths throne room. There would be a Guild vault. It would start with basic decor, that could be changed from options added from Guild Hall projects. For instance something like the Minataur Lair, or Red Cloister. Perhaps Greenhaven grass for a forest clearing look. You could also have seasonal decorations. Haunted Moors cobwebs and pumkins; Grinchta lights and Christmas trees.

I just wanted to put this out there, and have a thread for discussion.
Thanks for your time.

Rachielle

I totally want ours to be the throne room for King Minos. Guild officers get herds of minotaurs to follow them around everywhere - the higher you are in guild rank, the bigger your herd.

sirbabbo

Honestly, I think this would cause more stress in trying to keep and maintain another piece of land in the game. Be like diverting traffic from one area to another, it’s not solving the issue with the traffic it’s deflecting it to another area. Then how would we all go about getting a guild hall outside a village? Would that have to be private as well?

Maybe lowering the cap to 20, would solve guild headaches trying to maintain the numbers and in addition allowing new guilds a realistic goal to going private. Guild halls in the village as an additional piece would be better off to give off buffs in the games or upgrade the village to hold more capacity.

How point of the guild is to help as a villager and a hero,and taking away the village aspect is more of a headache.

Respectfully

Reactions: AirAmy222 and Zaphyra
  • Likex2
Characters
Platform
Android
Guild Halls would be separate from villages. You could access them from a portal in Ardent/Summers or teleport there like a zone. It wouldn't take traffic away from the village, because guild members could live in "any" village. With the Guild Hall being completely separate, they could even raise the guild cap if enough people wanted it....because Guilds would no longer be tied to any particular village (unless they wanted to be).

Reactions: Allison Wonderland
  • Likex1

Xhukari

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
I would actually suggest the opposite; instead of splitting the Guild from the Village, just strengthen the control & reliability a guild has over their Guild Village! It can no longer become public, Villagers who leave the guild, lose their house from there. Though a different layout and theming could be cool for this, and help solidify it as something separate from the open villages. :)

Reactions: AirAmy222 and Tiggery
  • Likex2

Xhukari

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
How small are these guilds then? I don't know what village locking is, but could just not have it function for Guild Villages.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
In order to get a guild village you need to have 40 guild members with houses in the guild village - and at present you need to keep 40 guild members in the village to retain the guild village.

If villages were to remain private regardless of the number of guild chars in the village, you would end up with "ghost" villages with only one or two remaining active guildies still having their own private village. That would mean either Devs kept creating new villages, adding to server strain, or many players would not be able to get a house, since the only remaining spaces would be in ghost private guild villages.

Personally I believe that the possibility of a guild having their own village - as long as they have enough active members to keep it - is fine as it is. Remove the link between guilds and villages and, as things stand, there is literally no reason to join a guild other than the purely social aspect, since all the bonuses associated with guilds actually come from the village. Move those bonuses from village to guild hall, and there is no incentive to develop villages - and public villages in particular would therefore simply become the location of your house.

Perhaps having a guild hall with some additional benefits might be worthwhile, since that wold be a way to add game benefit value to guilds - but that begs the question - do we want guilds to remain social constructs or do we want guilds to be just another way for min maxers to gain some tiny increase in power, inevitably leading to a slow drift of the "top" players into just one or two elite guilds?

XMerlindaX

Wizard
Royal Guardian
Platform
PC
Perhaps having a guild hall with some additional benefits might be worthwhile, since that wold be a way to add game benefit value to guilds - but that begs the question - do we want guilds to remain social constructs or do we want guilds to be just another way for min maxers to gain some tiny increase in power, inevitably leading to a slow drift of the "top" players into just one or two elite guilds?

that would be a horrible idea!I can imagine how these elite guilds want to dominate everything with their ideas and actions towards the general public.
Already there are guilds that think they belong to the elite, and feel superior to other players and treat them condescendingly.
It has happened in the past, and I think it is happening now on some servers, and I am glad because we are relatively calm at the moment.
But this can change again at any time, we have all experienced that there were periods of calm and war.
Therefore, I would be for it let the guilds as they are, together with their villages.....

Reactions: AirAmy222
  • Likex1

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Guild Villages with maxed crafting and gathering stations, offer a variety of buffs... including extra experience, abundant harvest, crafting cost reduction and the ability to fully enhance gear. It takes a LOT of time and resources to upgrade a Village. Therefore, a fully upgraded Guild Village is a valuable asset and an excellent recruitment tool. I think we should leave Villages the way they are and consider adding a Guild Hall project to each Guild Village. With Combat and Treasure buffs granted by the Guild Hall, as it's improved... and perhaps a maintenance cost, to keep Guild buffs active? Or it could work like the Wellspring, but grant Combat/Treasure buffs instead of Villager buffs? Guild Halls might also offer exclusive drams, that will work for a whole party. 🤔

Characters
Platform
Android
I understand what you are saying, Zaphyra, but how does that help small Guilds? Families or groups of friends that only have 10 or 15 people? They will almost never be able to control a village even if they wanted to. As it is now, they receive no real benefit from Guild other than the social aspect...no shared vault, no dedicated area.
My thoughts on a Guild Hall unconnected from any Village was an attempt to create a starting place to add value to Guilds, not as the end result.
I am not saying my idea is right and others are wrong. Just my opinion. That's why I wanted a discussion...to get many opinions. I see all of them as valid :)

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
The only way there is right now for a group of 12 players to show they are a team is to form a guild. Calling it an Assembly Hall, Guildhall, or a Team hall they would all be the same thing. The perks of the "Hall" just need to be chosen with care so it does not give too much power to a group.
I just want to see Villages split from guilds. I dislike the insecurity of village life as it is now as it is for public villages and small guilds.

Reactions: Littlenymph and Catori
  • Likex2

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
If any type of "Hall" reduces the need for players to live in fully upgraded Villages... then players will stop wasting their time/resources upgrading Villages and the whole Village system will be ruined.

It sounds like the real problem, is that public Villages may be subject to hostile takeover... which makes it difficult and stressful for new/small guilds to try and upgrade their Village.

Maybe we should be talking about changes to prevent hostile takeovers? 🤔

What if new guilds could start with smaller Villages? Maybe 20 houses to begin with and unlock more houses, as their guild grows? As long as 80-90% of their current houses are occupied, they can keep their Village private.

This would allow new guilds to slowly increase their membership and upgrade their Villages, without fear of hostile takeover.

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
It is not guild villages that are most subjected to hostile takeovers, it is the public, open villages that suffer most from this system. Generally, guilds lose their private villages as their members stop playing. This opens the village to becoming public again, but it is not a takeover.
What you are suggesting is essentially a takeover of public villages by smaller guilds. If only 20 guild members could take over a public village there would be very few public villages remaining. As soon as a guild reaches 20 members, which is very easy to do, they could take over a village. This is the opposite of what is needed to prevent takeovers.
Hmm, I must have done a poor job of explaining my idea. 😬

What I meant was, that normally Villages have 60 Housing spots and it might be hard for new guilds to keep at least 40 Houses full, to maintain their private status. So, what if new guilds could open smaller Villages, starting with only 20 Houses and unlocking more Houses, as their guild grows? I don't mean that small guilds of 20 people could takeover an existing village... I was suggesting that they might start with a new, smaller village that will grow with their guild.

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Still not sure I understand you... do you mean to say that a 20 member guild should be able to make a public village private? Or do you mean guilds should be able to open new villages (not convert public ones) on the server? Also, when you say unlocking more houses do you want the houses to be private instead of villages or was that a typo?
I don't care for any of these. Although the private house idea is interesting.
I meant that guilds should be able to open new, smaller, private villages with only 20 houses to start and the Mayor/Guild Leader could unlock or add new houses to the village, as their guild grows and more houses are needed.

The idea is that smaller Villages might use fewer server resources and will require fewer members to maintain their private status, which would prevent takeovers and encourage new guilds to upgrade their Villages.

And it's ok if you dislike my suggestions... I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Villages used to be just 35 by default - you had to complete projects to open up the lakeside and graveyard (now the borough). Most villages never did, and the result was almost half the potential housing was wasted - yet there was still the same server load. After US2 and US3 both had to have extra villages created, Devs made the decision to open all villages up to 60, so as not to waste the resources on small villages.

It also used to be possible to create a new village to become a guild village - but only when Devs added the empty villages. That was dropped and for a while, Devs manually converted existing villages according to a set criteria - and almost always after the Devs spent time doing that, the villages went public again in a matter of weeks.

So finally Devs created a system which allows villages to convert back and forth automatically, but because they do not want lots of small villages (which still use the same resources as the larger ones) they set a limit on the number of players in the village to maintain it's private status. That is the system we have now. It may not be perfect, but it is the best compromise between on the one hand needing as much housing available as there are chars that need it, and on the other hand having guilds able to control their village.

There is literally no advantage being in a fully developed guild village compared to a fully developed public village - except the fact that it is private. Why should it not be the case that keeping it private should actually require that the guuild in question is at least active enough to have 40 members who log on once a fortnight?

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
It may not be a Hall, but I want Guilds to have their own vault. Whether it comes from a Hall or something else. That would leave the village vault free for village use. The Guild Hall is just a place for the project. I don't know if a Guild Hall would put the same load on the servers villages do. So each guild regardless of size could have its own. I think there is also a Server divide here. US1 has fully built open villages with room for more players. Many of the players want more projects to work on.

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
After thinking about this for awhile. I personally think villages need to remain as is. Private for guild public for solo/alts. Personally I’d hate to be in a guild that didn’t have their own village. Yea sure a guild hall sounds great and all but I like the fact that my neighbors are in my guild. I like that when crafting the person next to you is again a guild member. Some guilds only use guild chat while others use village/local chat to communicate. I do think guilds need more projects to do together. That could be a hall or simply more projects in village(which seems more realistic anyways). Personally if guilds didn’t have their own villages where they could build and hang out and grow together I wouldn’t be in a guild period. Even if there was a hall. A hall isn’t a “home” it isn’t a neighborhood of people you choose as your own. That’s my take on it anyways.