Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi, Everyone,

As most of you already know, account sharing is not allowed, and this is standard policy for almost all gaming companies, the numerous reasons for which have already been outlined in this post regarding account sharing and ToS.

However, we recently had some issues come up concerning the use of the program, TeamViewer, which caused a great deal of confusion and problems. So hopefully this post will prevent such issues from happening again in the future.

TeamViewer allows one person to remotely access another person’s computer or device. Players sometimes like to view each other’s character builds or help find an answer to a problem, etc. The way our tech is set up, if a person logs onto someone else's device remotely, then logs into that person’s VH account with that person’s credentials, then our system will not tie the two accounts together, and the TeamViewer program can be used safely without issue as it should.

HOWEVER, if a person using TeamViewer remotely logs onto another person’s computer, and then logs into VH using their own VH credentials, and not the credentials of the person whose computer they are remotely accessing, then our system will automatically tie the two accounts together because at this point the system sees the one device as having been used on two different accounts. The tech is working correctly when it does this. Which means: ban tech will apply because the system shows all the accounts tied to an account. So if one account gets banned, so do the others tied to it.

So please. If any of you do feel inclined to use TeamViewer, please never use your own VH credentials when remotely logging onto someone else’s computer and into VH. And for those of you who are letting others remotely access your computer (which needless to say comes with its own set of risks in general), please be sure that only your own VH credentials are being used.

As mentioned before, our tech is working correctly, so the burden is on players to ensure that the TeamViewer program is being safely used as outlined above, should players choose to utilize TeamViewer.

Thanks, Everyone!

Reactions: BadgerReborn and Rohana
  • Likex2

Jodwop

Priest
Platform
Android, PC
In response, I agree and support, though, my opinion on that is not needed. Although, you brought up somewhat of an issue, Builds, gear. Since we can not link items ingame, screenshots are the only way. Could we get something like Magelo added? Even a very dumbed down version would be extremely helpful. Being an armorsmith, it is like pulling teeth trying to help guildies figure out where there are lacking. Mostly from the more part time players or casual. Theoretically, the info is there, just need a simple breakdown that is linkable or even ïnspectable if toon is targetted (option to toggle off/on since I like privacy). Many of our guildies do not or will not use services like discord or even email for screenshots, so some compromise in this area would be more than appreciated.

My opinion is if someone is legitimately using something like teamviewer to help, going this route could clear up some issues.

Jodwop

Priest
Platform
Android, PC
I can only help my guildies so much. Being more fluent in crafting than they are or being able to suggest options they did not know or realize, would be fantastic. Opening up outside linkage to a port outside the game increases security risks, but at the least inside game, I could inspect toon, then screenshot. And go from there.

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

KitzyKitt

Shaman
Characters
Kitzy
Platform
Android, PC
Just curious,

My husband and I both play, and have a few children who want to play. We're considering creating accounts for them. Doing so would create logins to more than one account per device. Would this set off the ban tech?

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Wowx1

Stella StormSong

Huntress
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
My husband and I both play, and have a few children who want to play. We're considering creating accounts for them. Doing so would create logins to more than one account per device. Would this set off the ban tech?
No, the only way in which your family may end up in a snafu would be if one of the accounts were to incur a ban (which only happens for a grievous ToS breach) then the other accounts which have been logged into on that device would get caught up by the ban. You and your family should have no issues playing :) - but if something unforeseen were to happen someday, a CS Ticket sent to the devs could help you clear it all up with them.
Happy gaming

Reactions: Zaphyra and KitzyKitt
  • Likex2

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Just curious,

As in the past all families can play V&H together. There is a different signature by different machine types. Too technical for me but they can see it. I would suggest using their own email accounts and have them choose their own passwords, some siblings have been known to mess with their siblings game LOL.

Reactions: Zaphyra and KitzyKitt
  • Likex2

Perlio

Villager
Platform
iOS
I do not agree that the onus is on the player To determine if an account is being shared or such, multiple factors should be used to determine a likelihood score.
  • How many times did the same IP login different accounts? Consider dorms, which could share an IP and have multiple players. Starbucks. Etc. Then also look at the other IPs that each account ever logged into. Is one account 99% logged into a IP from Sweden, and the other account is 99% logged into an IP from China...then probably not the same person, unless if using a VPN...but again, it's a likelihood score.
  • Has each account bought crowns? If so, was the same payment used for both?
  • How many logins and playtime does each account have?
  • Look at the email addresses and other information collected during registration. Is there a pattern?
The onus is not on a player to make sure a program won't trigger your security software. It is the developer to critique and improve their algorithm to prevent as many false positives as possible.

Panthera

Grand Priestess
Platform
Android, PC, Steam
As in the past all families can play V&H together. There is a different signature by different machine types. Too technical for me but they can see it. I would suggest using their own email accounts and have them choose their own passwords, some siblings have been known to mess with their siblings game LOL.
Sometimes though it is the same machine that is being used for the different sibling accounts (not in this game but in another My Niece wanted to play the game I played so I helped her create an account but she used the same computer I did), would this trigger the shared account tie alerts?

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here.

In the first case, there is no system of alerts in terms of the ban tech mentioned in the O/P. So no, your niece, child, spouse, sibling or significant other playing the game on the same device as you will not trigger any such alert.

Secondly, O/P is not saying that option 1 (which I agree does indeed sound a lot like account sharing) is ok. All they are saying is that doing that will not tie your account to the account of the device owner (since the account logged in on that device is the same account as always). Option 2 on the other hand will.

Thirdly, there is no onus on the part of Devs to investigate – though in fact, as clearly stated in the O/P they did in fact do so in this case. This particular situation had not arisen before, and Devs did test to see how, or if, the use of teamviewer software could cause the link between accounts. As a result of those tests, the Devs have posted this thread to make players aware of the situation. O/P is simply warning players of the facts – if you allow another player remote access to your computer (and seriously why would you allow someone you don’t actually know to do that?) and that person not only uses that access to view your characters build but also logs in their own account whilst still remotely using your computer to do so (and again, why you would need to do that anyway?) then the tech in place will register their account as having been logged in on your device (for the very simple reason, that it has, in fact, been logged in using your device). So, should that player and all accounts linked with them later incur any ban, your account will be banned with them.

Fourthly, the tech in place does not ban anyone using a single device to play more than one account. All it does is register and link all the accounts logged in from a single device. That is what it is designed to do. It works precisely as intended, and O/P is merely giving due warning to players not to allow any other player to follow option 2 – or face the consequences should that player later do anything to incur a ban.

Perhaps I can offer my own personal simpler (though less technically complete) suggestion. This is my personal advice if you really want to allow another player to remotely access your computer, with all the potential hazards that entails (though on a purely personal note I think you are absolutely crazy if you do, but maybe I’m just too cynical). If you do want to let that person have potential access to all your personal data just to see your character’s build, then follow these steps.

• Log in to your account yourself (no exchange of log in details, so no account sharing)
  • Confirm that they understand that they must not log in their own account whilst remotely accessing your comp.
  • Allow them the remote access
  • Watch while they study your character’s build
  • Confirm that they have ended remote access as soon as they are done studying your character.
O/P was expressly written to warn players what will register two accounts as linked and what will not. Option 1, though undesirable, will not link the accounts. Option 2 will. End of story.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Sometimes though it is the same machine that is being used for the different sibling accounts (not in this game but in another My Niece wanted to play the game I played so I helped her create an account but she used the same computer I did), would this trigger the shared account tie alerts?
No, because you would not be using it at the same time.