IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I also just read that people with dementia/alzheimers are more susceptible to gagging on thin liquids. Just another thing to consider.

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
Anyone have any bathroom tip? One of my big problems is knowing when mom is done on the toilet. I am not always sure she knows what to do there. This is a new change with her.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
If you worry she needs help, stay by her to see how she can manage. If she seems to do OK without your help but needs help walking or standing, put a bell nearby for her to use.
Maybe call about getting a home health aid to help you to learn how to help her. Medicare will pay for the aids for a specific amount of time.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Anyone have any bathroom tip? One of my big problems is knowing when mom is done on the toilet. I am not always sure she knows what to do there. This is a new change with her.
If you feel a bit awkward just standing around, go do some things in the bathroom and around the corner, where you can keep an eye on her. When it's been silent for a bit, you just ask if she's done.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
If you feel a bit awkward just standing around, go do some things in the bathroom and around the corner, where you can keep an eye on her. When it's been silent for a bit, you just ask if she's done.
It IS awkward I admit, even for a daughter with a mother. I remember feeling unsure and luckily the nurses helped give hints and my Mom's home health aid also gave great tips and hints.

Always remember, you are a wonderful person for helping your parent!! Even if they don't or can't tell you, they appreciate your help!

Reactions: Anthem
  • Likex1

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I worked in elderly care for a year or so, I felt awkward (especially in the start). For me it helped to do some small things while waiting. refreshing that bin bag, putting some clothes in the laundry or back in the wardrobe, piling up the wash cloths neatly when they fell over, rearranging the toothbrushes, taking a cloth over the sink. Small things, more for the sake of having something to do and not just standing there. It might help you too.

Reactions: Anthem and IrishElf
  • Likex2

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
Thanks all for the ideas. I have been helping her in the bathroom for over a year. Neither of us are awkward about it anymore. Its just she is not sure if she is done or not.... I find out when she gets up (not the best way). She will never say she is done if I don't ask. Just not sure how to get her to understand if she is done.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Thanks all for the ideas. I have been helping her in the bathroom for over a year. Neither of us are awkward about it anymore. Its just she is not sure if she is done or not.... I find out when she gets up (not the best way). She will never say she is done if I don't ask. Just not sure how to get her to understand if she is done.
I was told by nursing staff, have her press on her lower abdomen to see if she feels pressure. If yes she should wait a bit. If not she's likely done.

Reactions: Anthem
  • Lovex1

Pookey

Hunter
Characters
Pookey2
Platform
PC
Been trying to give mom something to look forward to every day. Even something small like tomorrow we are making hamburgers and watching fiddler on the roof 🙂

Reactions: Shash and Anthem
  • Likex2

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
Been trying to give mom something to look forward to every day. Even something small like tomorrow we are making hamburgers and watching fiddler on the roof 🙂
That sounds so nice. I will see if I can come up with things for my mom.