Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
I've seen this done in other games and thought it was a good formula for both player/consumer and develepor/business side. As the name implies it is a way to support the game while also offering some goodies. So here's how it works: (example from lotro)

Supporter packs have different tiers, higher tiers will always include everything from a lower tier (save from the premium currency which is crowns in our case). So a potential way this would look like is this:

Tier 1: 350 Crowns, Unique Flair pack - 19$
Tier 2: 1000 Crowns, Unique Flair pack, Unique Wardrobe set - 49$
Tier 3: 2000 Crowns, Unique Flair pack, Unique Wardrobe set, Unique Mount- 89$

As you can see the prices match the current Crown package prices. You can also upgrade from a lower tier. In this case you need to pay the difference, but you'll also get the difference in crowns among the extra goodies (example to tier 1 -> tier 2: would cost 30$ (49-19), would give 650 crowns (1000-350) and the wardrobe set). Items could vary too, toys can be included, and in the future furniture.

So why is this good?
  • On the player side you get extra stuff while buying crowns, which always feels nice to get more for the same price. It is also an additional way for players to support the game.
  • On the business side, some people will be inclined to buy any of the packs for the cosmetic, and not for the crowns. Also as the name implies some will buy it to support the game.

I'd vision it to run for a year (or two) before changing its contents. How do you feel about this? Would you like to see it? Would you buy one? If not, why not?

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I'm just not entirely sure what it adds to the current system. Buying crowns and then getting what you want from the shop? If it's in a pack you don't even know if you already have it or like it?

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
I'll try to clarify this system a bit more. So we have a system now, where you can buy crowns then you spend it on whatever you want. This is all good, and this system stays and will most likely continue to be the main source of crowns.

My proposal is to have another option to get crowns. Supporter packs are a one time purchase. The extra items they give are unique in a sense that they are not available in the store or in game (think like how AS gives some unique items for your 1st purchase). Also you are fully aware what you get, it's not a lootbox with a random roll. For example tier 1 gives 350 crowns and black knight's flair. Tier 1000 crowns, black knight's flair and black knight's set, etc. These should be shown on the purchase page.

And why is it good, in super short, it can incentivize more purchases (either to support game, to get new cosmetics, buy higher tier because i want the mount etc.), while also making those purchases feel better (for those who are interested in said extras).

Reactions: Helos
  • Likex1

Xhukari

Bog Frog
Characters
Nolaasc
Platform
PC
It's a great idea, I feel! It does help sweeten the deal for sure, and I am a bit of a sucker for exclusives.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Last edited
I'm just not entirely sure what it adds to the current system. Buying crowns and then getting what you want from the shop? If it's in a pack you don't even know if you already have it or like it?
It's actually somewhat common on games these days. It's all about exclusivity.

You don't have to worry about whether or not you already have something in the pack. Everything in it is new and is only available through the exclusive offer. The point of buying the pack is to directly support the game by funding further development. The motivation for buying it is to gain exclusive items that will never be repeated or made available through other means. The company gets more funding. The customer gets bragging rights by having cosmetic items that will forever be rare and at some point unobtainable.

In a nutshell, it's a variation of a founders pack.
They are sold for a limited time. Usually an extended period of a year or so, and once that period expires they become unavailable. This ensures the rarity and exclusivity of the item(s).
It's not something that I would normally invest in but I'm 100% on board with them being offered. It may not interest the average player but whales love em and I love whales. :love:

Reactions: Renaiss
  • Hahax1

Jytal

Servant of Mallok
Platform
iOS
I have concerns about an exclusive supporter pack, mainly the fact that they are exclusive to paying players.

In raid season 4, the nether camel was the gold tier raid reward which had no special abilities at all. Raid season 3 had a red dog mount which had a small speed and jump boost, raid season 2 had a speed boost, and raid season 1 had no abilities. I do want to point out that raid season 1 mount also predated mounts with abilities by a few months so the tech was not there yet. During raid season 4, this thread was opened to add an ability to the mount because that is what players was expecting and felt with no ability it wasn't worth the grinding required.
One of the most commonly stated argument to not have an ability on raid mounts is that they were exclusive to raiders which was not fair for others such as villagers or people who would want to buy it from the crown shop.
My suggestion was to have different mounts with the same abilities sold in the crown shop/different version of the mount sold in the crown in ducat shop with the same ability. It keeps the raid exclusive mount exclusive but the ability itself is offered in multiple places but was largely ignored and gained no traction.
In event zones, typically they offer new items in both crown and vendor shops or in older ones an alternate version in crown shop but one version in both the crown and vendor shops so that free and paying players can obtain such items.

Main point being, there should not be paying player exclusive items if there is no alternate version for free paying players.
If there is paying player exclusive items implemented, then likewise in other parts of the game there should be exclusive items you have to earn and can not pay for.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
The problem with exclusive content is cosmetics versus abilities. That was what some were complaining about when it came to the Raid mounts.
I don't know what to tell people that have an issue with a cosmetic reward that comes with participation in optional side-content. I simply don't see why that should be an issue. When that exclusive content starts including benefits and abilities, it becomes another topic altogether. In a F2P game, I think it's best to exclude abilities from exclusive content.

More relative to the topic, I don't see an issue with having exclusive content as part of a supporter's pack if that content is cosmetic and/or convenience oriented in nature. Objecting to that would be like objecting to the cash shop.A cash shop is the only viable means for a F2P game to survive.

On a side note, achievements are also something serious gamers cherish. I like the fact that I can buy an event item for crowns if I don't have the time or desire to grind in the event zone. I also believe this helps the dev monetize the game. That said, I think there should always be some subtle difference between the two to denote the difference between that which was earned as opposed to that which was purchased.

Xadi

If there is paying player exclusive items implemented, then likewise in other parts of the game there should be exclusive items you have to earn and can not pay for.
I know this thread is like...a month old lol, but I just wanted to add that, off the top of my head, there ARE exclusive items that you have to earn and cannot pay for. The 95 elder mounts that are included at random in the elder chests cannot be purchased. You can only get them by running the 95 elders over and over again until you get all of them, and raid tier reward mounts also cannot be purchased.

I have no issues with having a support package like this as long as the items received are, indeed, cosmetic in nature. Depending on the item being offered at the time, I would be among those that would purchase one. Crowns + exclusive cosmetic item? Count me in!

Reactions: Renaiss and IrishElf
  • Likex2

Sumi

Arch Wizard
Characters
Sumia, Sumie, Sumii, Sumio, Sumiu
Platform
iOS, PC
Main point being, there should not be paying player exclusive items if there is no alternate version for free paying players.
Do you mean this in general? Or only in instances where the item grants a pure benefit. Because yes, pay to play (or pay to be better) is bad. But "paying player exclusive" COSMETIC items? There's nothing inherently wrong with that in the logical objective lense. I think this thread's idea is a great one! Wooo dev money

Reactions: Helos
  • Likex1