KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
I play a game on console known as The Division 2 and they recently did a massive gear overhaul. Part of this update included an interesting feature that I think would suit V&H quite well.

It is known as the recalibration library. Essentially, you have a library of all stats, glyphs and runes in the game. It starts off empty, and you can fill it out by extracting these properties from gear you find or acquire. By doing so, the gear is destroyed, but the property you extracted remains within your library for future use.

This allows players to create their own custom builds with the stat combinations and runes they desire so long as they put in the work of filling out their library.

So I could head to the recalibration station with my Helm and opt to swap out my "Shielding" Glyph with another Glyph that has been unlocked in my library and is compatible with that gear type. Say I choose blasting, pay a gold and material cost, and my shielding is now replaced by blasting!

It's important to note that you need to acquire the stats, runes and glyphs per gear item. So if you have found blasting on armor and extracted it into your library then you have that Glyph for Armor only. You'll need to extract it from other gear pieces as well in order to use it for them.

This library also keeps tracks of rolls! It will display the strength of your roll on a bar, so you can judge whether it is poor, decent or a god roll. You can replace poor rolls with better ones and improve the quality of your library over time.

Anyways, I feel like this could go a long way towards exploration and customization. We could have new glyphs and runes added to the game which are only available through crafting, quests or loot so that players truly have to put in some time towards filling out their library. Those that do are rewarded with finally being able to create their own personalized builds.

Look up Division 2 Recalibration Library for some images of the UI if you would like to see for yourself.

Myst

Squirrel
Characters
Mystic Fox
Platform
PC
This idea sounds like it could work much like the Wardrobe.

Concinus

Grand Priestess
Characters
Tindra Silvertass
Platform
Steam
Last edited
If I have extracted the properties of a mace, would I (a) only be able to use it on one mace or (b) on all maces I make?
a) If I can only transfer the extract properties to one other mace, how's that different to gnogging? Gnogging extracts the properties of one mace to another, destroying one of them in the process.
b) If I get to keep the best extracted properties in my library and use it on as many maces I want, will that not ruin the gameplay and market for maces? If someone have found a mace with the best properties and runes, they can just mass-produce it, flooding the market and then there will be no market for other maces or need to find anything.

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
This idea sounds like it could work much like the Wardrobe.
Yeah that's a good comparison!

If I have extracted the properties of a mace, would I (a) only be able to use it on one mace or (b) on all maces I make?
a) If I can only transfer the extract properties to one other mace, how's that different to gnogging? Gnogging extracts the properties of one mace to another, destroying one of them in the process.
b) If I get to keep the best extracted properties in my library and use it on as many maces I want, will that not ruin the gameplay and market for maces? If someone have found a mace with the best properties and runes, they can just mass-produce it, flooding the market and then there will be no market for other maces or need to find anything.
It would be for all your maces, not just one.

Stat Recalibration would make your item soulbound. So this is for your personal benefit only. This will help the market I feel, as players can buy and sell goods from others so that they can fill up their own personal library with stats, runes and glyphs they are missing as well as farming or buying from players who produce the highest quality gear with the best rolled stats.

Concinus

Grand Priestess
Characters
Tindra Silvertass
Platform
Steam
Stat Recalibration would make your item soulbound. So this is for your personal benefit only. This will help the market I feel, as players can buy and sell goods from others so that they can fill up their own personal library with stats, runes and glyphs they are missing as well as farming or buying from players who produce the highest quality gear with the best rolled stats.
Ok, so you still get the randomized stats and runes when crafting gear like today. The library is just an alternative to gnogging for your own build?
But how does this tie into combat and gear levels? Usually the level of the runes and the quality of the gear affects each other, how would this work in this case? Can you only transfer runes between gear of the same level?
If you add runes of a higher level than the gear, the gear will in some but not all cases be level up as well, lowering it's quality. Would this system be scrapped or would the library keep track of which runes can be transferred between gear without changing it's quality? E.g. Starter gear which is Lv 1 but with runes of lv 5 (or is it lv 10?). These runes I can transfer to another Lv 1 gear, but I can't take a regular lv 10 rune and put it on a lv 1 gear without making the gear lv 10 in the process.
Would there be a cap on what you can use depending on your level or are we going to have Lv 5 players with lv 90 stats and runes?

ripcord

Wizard
Platform
iOS
I really like this idea.

I think it should be rather restrictive so that you HAVE to collect and fill the library to use it for your level.

To make it different than gnogmenting I would say you can only apply a given property of the same level gear or higher. So you could put level 1 blasting on any gear but you can only put 95 blasting on 95 gear... because that’s what we get now and we don’t want to make that broken.

Also if you want to put level 93 blasting on a piece of gear you need to have 93 blasting in the library. It’s not that level 94 will unlock 93. I understand this will result in high level players running all over Ardent to fill up their libraries but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree it needs to make gear soulbound.

One thing I’m not sure about though is use. There has to be a fairly high cost - because what you are ultimately doing is taking away the grind for gear. IMO single use is the highest cost, but that is the same as gnogmenting. Perhaps dismantling gear could give a mat that is used as currency in this process.

Reactions: Concinus
  • Likex1