Votes: 8 53.3%
  • The War Machine

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Total voters

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
Last edited
To return to the Critique Series (Reference Page), simply click this link.​

This thread is part of a series on the analysis of everything in Villagers and Heroes from the point of view of one of its long-time players. The point of this series is the highlight the highs and lows of every mechanic I can think of so that we can discuss how to further refine that which is already in the game. Without further ado, here is my analysis of Gathering.

After looking at a lot of the side quests (skimming over the list in the wiki and picking 10-15 of the ones I didn't remember at random) I noticed that there just wasn't anything like a quest line that was outside of an event zone or the main quest line. It is possible I missed one or two, but the point is that there are not a lot of them. And I know there are no longer any quests leading to side content (like raids, repeatable scaled content, new areas, that sort of thing). So, I took it upon myself to conjure up a handful of quests. I tried to make all the quests fit these criteria:
  • They fit into the lore of the game relatively easily.
  • They provide some form of repeatable content.
  • They are different. There has to be something that makes them stand out in the game.
  • They have to be relatively easy to implement (this one I was a bit lenient with).
So far I have 4 of them in addition to a potential quest line for Safe Gathering Locations. What I present here is only the repeatable content at the end. The side quests that lead up to them are left wide open.

Zombie Town Uprising
Lore
The zombies of Zombie Town have arisen. Someone make one too many mummy jokes and they have had enough! Talk to Gobnait to find out what is going on.

Rough Idea of Quest
  • Once started you will need to deal with a massive, but very slow-moving, horde of zombies trying to ravage Zombie Town and ultimately kill Gobnait.
  • The horde is infinite. To fight them back, you will need to take various items to certain locations to pacify the horde.
  • Protect Gobnait at all costs. The horde will destroy all the buildings in Zombie Town before attacking Gobnait. As long as he stands when you complete your objectives, you win.
  • You may attempt the quest once daily (every 16-22 hours). Failure and success both reset the timer (this is subject to change if it seems a bit harsh).
Implementation
The questline leading up to the uprising will be unlocked upon the completion of Dealing with Zombies. Since the player needs to talk to Gobnait to start the Searching for Samuel quest immediately after this, it may be best to add a new NPC near him at some point (either during the Dealing with Zombies quest or just have them be there from the beginning) that will handle the side quest. After completion of the side quest, Zombie Town Uprising will be unlocked. The uprising will take place in a copy of Zombie Town with every "living" entity stripped from the area but Gobnait (and possibly the new NPC). The Gobnait in this copy (or the new NPC) will be one who handles the uprising quest. I will leave the technical details of the quest itself to the devs as there are many ways in which this can be done and explaining a bunch of them here would just clog this post.

Purple People Eaters
Lore

(Feel free to tone this one down if it is a bit dark)
The poor purple people prayed for peace, but a mystical mage manipulated the humble members of The Rye. This time the Rolumbites are capturing people for food! Please free them before they are served for dinner.

Rough Idea of Quest
  • Utilize your surroundings to get around the Purple People Eaters (Rolumbites) and free their captives.
  • No killing of the Purple People Eaters is allowed. Doing so will fail the quest. You must do your best to avoid them while freeing the captives.
  • Mods attempting this quest will periodically be put into a trance (we all know why).
  • Purple People Eaters have access to a basic spell of their class and a random debuff (should be hallucinogen-related).
Implementation
The questline leading up to this quest will be unlocked upon the completion of Saving the Sacrifice. The difficulty with this one is who gives the quest, as no matter who gives the quest ... it will be difficult to find or only exist temporarily. Perhaps someone can be placed at the Lumineer camp just before the completion of this so that the player sees them. Regardless of how this is done, the quest itself is probably going to be very short unless you want to create a new storyline like the one in The Rye again. Basically, just take the player to a copy of The Rye and start the quest. Otherwise, this one would take a while to implement for lore reasons. The copy can be largely the same, just without all the quests.

The Mischievous Malcontent
Lore
A suspiciously familiar sounding character has appeared. He claims to have raised up the army of Mallok and threatens to take Ardent by force. Go face the army and deal with this Mischievous Malcontent.

Rough Idea of Quest
  • This will be group content. You can try it solo, but it will be rough (like trying the 95 elders or the old dungeons solo).
  • It will take place in a copy of Blackfury Gorge, but the layout of enemies will be a lot different (more dense).
  • Enemies in this area are group-scaled and respawn quite frequently.
  • Your group is to kill a large number of mobs and zingara in the area. Then you go fight the boss. Other objectives can be added for flavor if desired.
  • The boss itself is meant to be a more powerful version of the Malicious Miscreant with a more "Mischievous" feel to it. Have fun with it. :)
Implementation
There are many ways you can go about putting the side quest in here. And it can be as short or as long as you desire. It should start sometime after Plotting the Course. Any NPC in Ardent City could give the quest. I will leave the details of how this is set up to the loremaster Sarah Otter.

The War Machine
Lore

After Lord Pyrrus was vanquished one of Mallok's followers found the remains of his research into a massive construct of pure destruction. Somehow the followers of Mallok managed to construct this War Machine ... and were summarily destroyed. Head deep into the Pyrron region once more to dismantle this atrocity before it finds its way to civilization.

Rough Idea of Quest
  • The only (perhaps the only one) objective will be to destroy the War Machine.
    • There are 6 turrets on the machine: 2 with attack together against the machine's target and 2 on the left and right sides which independently target the nearest target (ignoring threat).
    • Massive area effects are shot from the top at random targets.
    • The back will occasionally spew noxious fumes as it moves around (it occurs after moving a certain distance, not after a certain time).
    • At every 10% HP lost swarm of drones will leave the sides and back to target random players.
    • It will on occasion attempt to ram its target into a wall. Any target pinned by this attack will be instantly killed. Behind it will be a toxic cloud that will deal massive damage to the unwary.
Implementation
As this will likely require a brand new area, I don't see this ever making it into the game ... but in case it does: The questline leading to this quest should start after The Beginning of the End. Outside of that, do what you will.

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
All the ideas sound like fun, but if I remember correctly... the Rolumbites weren't evil, they had been drugged. So, there would need to be some new catalyst, turning them into cannibals... perhaps the Rolumbo plants have been tainted with a strange mold and the spores are infecting the farmers? 🤔

Giruv

Merchant
Royal Guardian
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
Last edited
Not sure if I understand the original post correctly, but to me the idea posted doesn't really sounds like a side quest, but more like a new side content altogether that happen to be a quest. They are great ideas and I'd love to have them, but won't comment further about them.

For me side quest doesn't have to be complex with cool and new mechanic, a simple errand tasks will suffice, but it still need some thought behind it. Which is my issue with almost all of the side quest we have, which is just do A, collect B, and I'll probably forget to do it the next day, because again they're just there without much thought behind them. Some stuff that I think need to be improved :
  • Memorable.
    I think side quest should at least be memorable. Like right now most side quest you do in game probably you'll forgot the next day. It doesn't have to be anything grand to make it memorable. A good example for this is Scruffles quest(which sadly is removed), the quest is really simple, but the the characters is so relatable and have good backstory too. I think most players that have done the quest still remember Scruffles and some even regard him as their pet.
  • Connection
    Most side quest right now feels like is just there for the sake of being there and feel disconnected with the rest of the game. A good example for this would be Ultrauniquium(Which sadly was removed too). This side quest is used to tell the lore of Greenhaven and the relation between King Leo and King Salvator. Again a good story telling can make a simple quest feels great. Another way to do this is for example using the same NPC for multiple different side quest at different area, which can make it feel like we're getting to know the NPC like Gatus from the Traven Isle master key quest that we meet again at Blight Bay as the NPC for 95 elder teleportation since he is an expert in that area.
    So reusing the same NPC can make side quest better and should be less work to, since you have to make less new character
  • Make use of the game feature/content.
    The best example for this would be Ultrauniquium quest again. This quest make us travel to many different zone, that normally we won't revisit or even visit in the first place. It also make use of gathering/crafting and even zog, which make feature that is already there have even more purpose. The other example would be the husband and wife quest in Ardent where they search for each other. This type of "hidden quest" make me want to talk to all different NPC. or just other hidden NPC in general also make me want to explore every nook and cranny of the zone and pay attention to every little detail of the zone.
  • Enhance the experience of other content.
    A good example for this one will be the Songscrap quest or the Anobri Ring quest. If you look at the quest alone, it is more add the annoying side, but what they did is making things we already want to do anyway become even better. Like when we grind for +2 or +3 ring in the Old Maldwyn Tomb, having extra stuff to do on the side, make the experience even better.
  • More Side Quest
    This one is self explanatory, pretty much just put a whole lot more side quest here and there and give more things to do on the side.
That's all in my head right now.

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
Last edited
Not sure if I understand the original post correctly, but to me the idea posted doesn't really sounds like a side quest, but more like a new side content altogether that happen to be a quest. They are great ideas and I'd love to have them, but won't comment further about them.
I will go into a lot more detail on this when I elaborate on side quests in general. I just thought these would be interesting to add into the game. That said, they are very much like what you said: side content more than side questing. I could have made up a better title. lol

Edit: I changed the name of the thread. :)

Reactions: Zaphyra and Giruv
  • Likex2