Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hello, Everyone,

We will be bringing the servers down this morning to push a small patch to live. Servers will be down for about 30 minutes. We'll provide the usual in-game warnings 15 minutes prior to bringing them down.

Patch Notes 5.21.0

Improvements

• [changed] Increased the size of the Heart Chair.
  • Updated the Map Travel Screens.
Removed
  • [removed] Disabled Sugarsweet Summit.
General
  • Added a name to the Fallen Heroes Memorial

Bug Fixes
  • [fixed] Fixed incorrect dialog belonging to Flavia:
  • Old: Did you bring me something to drink?
  • New: Did you bring me something to eat?
  • [fixed] Fixed guild village membership requirement text.
  • [fixed] Fixed an issue that caused some effects (like Sugar High) to round up instead of showing the correct decimal value.
  • [fixed] Fixed the missing collider on the gate in Halls of Salvation at E4 (coords: -57.6906 3.3864 27.4347).
  • [fixed] Leaderboards were missing players.
  • [fixed] Fixed missing Myriad of Legs hat.
  • [fixed] Updated greet text of Nisissi:
    • Old: "The crocosaur's, they haunt..."
    • New: "The crocosaurs, they haunt..."
  • [fixed] Fixed incorrect dialog belonging to Flavia:
    • OLD: Did you bring me something to **drink**?
    • NEW: Did you bring me something to **eat**?
  • [fixed] Fixed grammatical error in the Warpainted Boar description:
    • Old: "...slain more men then most warriors..."
    • New: "...slain more men than most warriors..."

Mobile Only
  • [changed] Updated the whisper button on mobile to the following rules:
    • If a player is in-combat, then the button *always* stays as the user assigned slot regardless of selection.
    • If an enemy or another player is selected, then the button stays as the user assigned slot.
    • If a friendly NPC is selected and point #1 is `False`, then the button is changed to a talk button.
    • If an inanimate interactable is selected and point #1 is `False`, then the button is changed to an interact button.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Steam
I LOVE the new loading screens! There are so many gorgeous ones, I cannot decide on a favourite. I want one as off-screen for my TV.
The only thing I was disappointed about was that almost all of Pyrron has the same one. Pyrron already is 99% the same inside the zones, it would be nice if at least there was a difference when loading into the zones. The feeling of deja-vu is serious there. But then, I never did like Pyrron much, so perhaps I am just prejudiced

KitzyKitt

Shaman
Characters
Kitzy
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
I LOVE the new loading screens! There are so many gorgeous ones, I cannot decide on a favourite. I want one as off-screen for my TV.
The only thing I was disappointed about was that almost all of Pyrron has the same one. Pyrron already is 99% the same inside the zones, it would be nice if at least there was a difference when loading into the zones. The feeling of deja-vu is serious there. But then, I never did like Pyrron much, so perhaps I am just prejudiced
Ohh, we should have Fan Friday artwork contests for most loading zone screens!!!

Elijah Lin

Lumineer
Characters
Fairy Prince Eli
Platform
  1. iOS
Please change back the village loading screen to the old, boring pictures.

Raid bosses jumping up in full frontal while going home is very unnerving.
And on that note about loading screens, switching character is just a screen to an oblivion. Unconsciousness... 💀 Nice...

Reactions: Got No Pupil
  • Hahax1

cheesedust

Squirrel
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
Last edited
I have to agree that the old loading screens were better. While the new artwork is nice they just don't look anything like the actual game which is quite confusing.

I want to suggest that these loading screens with raid bosses only show up in their respective raid, and to go back to the idea of showing helpful tips like the ones we had about gnogmenting and gathering/crafting which were simple to understand for new players.

Reactions: Elijah Lin and CoolGamer
  • Likex1
  • Happyx1

Grz

Reader
Platform
  1. Android
Cool update! Had a fun time loading through areas looking for the various artworks, checking out how close the artworks were to their in-game counterparts. I haven't checked everything yet but the Maiden and Shiverspine were the best so far (y)(y)(y), maybe someday these areas will be expanded on for high level content and such so we can view these loading screens past a once-only area bounty clear? Goldenvale's just a bunch of autumn trees (n). The Drom is just nowhere near how it looks with its darkness, fear of heights, and iron chains. As it is the one of the most notorious map in the game it gets the lowest personal rating for me (n)(n).

For completeness, the loading screens still need to include the place they are describing before the descriptions, like this:

Summer's Hollow
This bustling little town... etc.​

So that by the picture itself it doesn't look like it's just describing a random scenery.

Reactions: Kookaburra
  • Likex1

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Steam
I have to agree that the old loading screens were better. While the new artwork is nice they just don't look anything like the actual game which is quite confusing.
Personally I actually felt that lots of the screens captured the feel of the actual zone quite well. The only screen that mismatched strongly (imo) was the Keppel cavern one. But personal preferences, of course. It is often that games have loadscreens that are not in the same style as the actual zone build.
I for one hope these are kept

Reactions: Jackar and Kookaburra
  • Likex2

Elijah Lin

Lumineer
Characters
Fairy Prince Eli
Platform
  1. iOS
Last edited

I want to suggest that these loading screens with raid bosses only show up in their respective raid, and to go back to the idea of showing helpful tips like the ones we had about gnogmenting and gathering/crafting which were simple to understand for new players.
I do wonder... how are we comparing the two and defining what's "better"?

I joined the game a few years ago, and there were none of this prettifying whatsoever to the characters, maps, monster, mounts or fashion. 🤣🤣 Honestly, i enjoyed the game as it was raw and... unpolished unlike now. 🤔

With this new pretty map illustrations, I can see where the devs are going (as they explained on their livestream) to help build atmosphere and setting the feels and moods. I admit the travelling illustrations are quite beautiful to look at but it disappoints me when I appear to the actual map and it's nothing like it seems. I suppose in some way, I feel like I am being sugar coated about the game even though I know how it looks like (been playing 4yrs now). I don't have much opinion of the old travelling illustrations but I think, because they are always there, we just get used to them and accept them as part of our everyday gameplay. Until it's gone, ofc, i think we take it for granted. 🤔

Though, I would consider if I just started playing VnH for the first time, seeing all the new illustrations and exploring the new maps, I believe, it would stir my imagination and perception of the game and become mere immersive. But being a mature player, I've come to learn that the value of a game is weight by its heart rather than the skin. 💖

(Not that good looking game is bad, but if potentiality of a game is only about cosmetics, leggy items and no driven story or vision, the water is gonna run dry fast)

Reactions: Родосвет
  • Likex1

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
I like all the loading screens. Good work if you ask me. I hope they add more for each zone as time goes on so it's not the same one everytime. Like randomly drawing an image out of a set of images for each zone.

cheesedust

Squirrel
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
So after porting through all the maps to form a better opinion I'm finding there's quite a lot of unique loading screens, and a majority of them do match the vibe of the location. But I think some screens could use a rework (like maps that don't look anything like it does in game -such as summer's hollow, cooks village, traders path. Also Shiverspine text is a bit hard to read. And lastly I don't recall Rackabone being that gigantic, lol)

But really I hope we get a better loading screen for our village because currently it's just random raid boss. I assume the devs are aware of that and will add something soon.

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1

Inasani

Citizen
I tried to find out the artists myself and after my research I now fear that most of the stunning images are AI generated. On the one hand, image searches yield a variety of similar-looking images, all of which are AI-generated. And on the other hand, there are clues in the images themselves, such as in 'Tower of Storm' and 'Ash White' where cryptic and ornate letter-like characters can be found, which indicate AI, because the AI can't read out that they are letters and they are simply randomly smashed.

unterschrift.jpg

sturmturm-schrift.jpg

For us players and end users, it doesn't really matter - the pictures look great and create a good atmosphere.
But for real artists, this might be a slap in the face. I'm a bit ambivalent about this at the moment.

But who knows... In a few years, we may be playing a completely AI-generated game that uses, well mixed with other games, all the creative ideas and implementations of 'Villagers and Heroes' to a few percent and hardly comprehensible or provable. And we players and end users laugh about many years of self-made creative creations. And things like this were the beginning. Who knows, who knows...

Reactions: Got No Pupil and Renaiss
  • Likex2