Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited

It’s that merry time of year again! We invite you all to participate in the seasonal joy of gift giving and receiving, and doing it all in secrecy! Who will be your Secret Santa? And who will you be a Secret Santa for?

Please see the on-line registration form below. To preserve anonymity, since this is a ‘secret’ Santa event, we are not doing public registrations.

The registration period is for one week only. December 6th - December 12th. Please click on the link below which will take you to an on-line registration form, where you will enter your information.

Secret Santa Registration Form

*EU2 is doing an entirely separate event.

How It Works:

December 6th through December 12th: Open registration period. There is no limit to the number of participants. We want as many of you to sign up as possible! At the end of the day on December 12th, the on-line registration form will be removed, and registration will be closed. (This will happen at 5pm PST/8pm EST/02:00 CET)

Santa’s little helpers (also known as the VH Event Committee) will then randomly shuffle the names of all registered players and privately assign Secret Santas.

On every server, there are four special event characters: ElfHelper, ReinderRon, SnowmanStan, and StockingStuffer. All registered players will be assigned one of these event characters, who will act as your go-betweens for the event.

December 12th - December 14th: all registered players will receive in-game emails from their assigned event character. The email will tell you the name of the player for whom you are the Secret Santa for, as well as that player’s class, speciality, and level, and various other pertinent instructions about the event.

December 15th - December 21st: all registered players will send their gifts to their assigned event characters. You have one week to send your gifts! Please don’t be flaky or I will ban you. KIDDING. ;) But seriously, folks, please be sure to follow through if you have registered for the event, and send in your gifts!

December 19th - December 23rd: all registered players will be sent their Secret Santa gifts.

The Rules
  • You MUST register via the on-line form. If you try to sign up on this forum thread, I will lock the thread. And I’m not kidding this time. Don’t be that player who does that. 😁 Register via the on-line form only please! (The form link can also be found on Discord.)
  • In order to receive a gift, you must send a gift. If you register for the event, but do not send a gift, your name will be removed from the event.
  • This year, we are allowing crown shop items to be sent as gifts. HOWEVER, only up to 50 crowns may be spent. Any item(s) over that amount will be returned.
  • You can only send what can be attached in emails. In other words, how you choose to fill those three slots is entirely up to you, but please do not send second emails with even more gifts.
  • No alts. You may only register one time for the event. This ensures that when we randomly shuffle all of the names, players won’t be assigned their own alts as Secret Santas. However, if you play on multiple servers, you may register on more than one server.
  • Players must not give their gifts themselves to their assigned person, as it would defeat the purpose of being a Secret Santa. You must send your gifts to the event character.
  • We will not be revealing who the Secret Santas are. After the event is over, if players wish to reveal themselves that is entirely up to them, but we will not be publicly posting any of the names.
  • Please feel free to include special messages with your gift. The event characters will pass along anything you write in your email to your recipient.

Please absolutely do not feel as though you have to spend crowns on gifts! We are only allowing it this year, since a good many of you requested it. We want all players to have the freedom and creativity to create whatever they’d like for their gifts. The possibilities are wide open, and you will be told the class and level of the person you are sending a gift to so that you can craft specific items for them should you choose.

Free Gift ideas -- Gear, pies, buffs, boosts, gold, flowers, gems, zogs, gathered mats, mead, weapons, motes, supplies, and on, and on, and on. Feel free, too, to create songs and poems, or little creative rhymes, or a special V&H memory, or anything of the like!

This is going to be fun, and we hope to see a great many of you participating. 😀

And once again: PLEASE ONLY REGISTER VIA THE ON-LINE FORM ABOVE. Thank you!

*For our Brazilian friends, please see this translated post about the event: BR Secret Santa

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
  • You can only send what can be attached in emails. In other words, how you choose to fill those three slots is entirely up to you, but please do not send second emails with even more gifts.
To be clear, we’re only permitted to send what can be attached to a single email? So a full set of level/class-appropriate armor is out?

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
To be clear, we’re only permitted to send what can be attached to a single email? So a full set of level/class-appropriate armor is out?
Correct. We will be sorting through hundreds and hundreds of emails, so we just can't have double emails. Sorry.

Acornstu

Master Miner
Platform
Android
This is fantastic! Thanks devs! I was just sitting here trying to think up a way to give people things in game they might like.

The crowns are great because at level 21 wtf am I supposed to get a max level character? 3 stacks mid level fish? Lol.

Merry Christmas to folks!

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
This is fantastic! Thanks devs! I was just sitting here trying to think up a way to give people things in game they might like.

The crowns are great because at level 21 wtf am I supposed to get a max level character? 3 stacks mid level fish? Lol.

Yes! Absolutely! Give what is important to you, if that's what you want to give and can give it's a worthy gift.

But, you can also give supplies, fleetrinda, luckiniums, gralla seed, etc.

Alexis Phoenix

Grand Priestess
Characters
Alexis Phoenix,Lexi Phoenix
Platform
Android, PC

There's tons of things you can send to high level toons that would make them super stoked! Blue gathering supplies, overflowing cornucopias, villager/hero XP potions/turkey dinners....things that boost XP, elixirs, bouquet of "flowers" that I'm sure a high level player would gladly grow for you if you're in a guild (I'd offer if you were on US1), stack of unrefined mats (wood, ore, fleece) since many of the high level players are still working on getting their skills back to level cap), gobazollas/luckiniums/fleetindras and other finds from gathering are awesome options too.

Just a few ideas. :) I'd actually prefer not to receive gear or weapons since I've crafted all mine and a lot of times focus on certain stats, I'm sure a few high level toons would agree with me on that one. But yeah, there's tons of options! I was just shooting a few off the top of my head!

Acornstu

Master Miner
Platform
Android
There's tons of things you can send to high level toons that would make them super stoked! Blue gathering supplies, overflowing cornucopias, villager/hero XP potions/turkey dinners....things that boost XP, elixirs, bouquet of "flowers" that I'm sure a high level player would gladly grow for you if you're in a guild (I'd offer if you were on US1), stack of unrefined mats (wood, ore, fleece) since many of the high level players are still working on getting their skills back to level cap), gobazollas/luckiniums/fleetindras and other finds from gathering are awesome options too.

Just a few ideas. :) I'd actually prefer not to receive gear or weapons since I've crafted all mine and a lot of times focus on certain stats, I'm sure a few high level toons would agree with me on that one. But yeah, there's tons of options! I was just shooting a few off the top of my head!
THANK YOU SO MUCH ALEXIS!

Now I have a starting off point at least. I am the single worst mmo player but I'm working on it.

I jump in with 0 research, refuse to quest, and then mob grind until i make it or get bored.

Been trying to figure out how to help out my guildies and devs with money all month but most of it's soulbound.

I understand why and appreciate everything the devs and players standby.

I'm just finally to a point in my life I'd rather buy crowns for the devs and my friends than beer.

No i can figure out how.

You take care. And happy Hollidays!

Lucas Crowalker

Great Adventurer
Characters
Lucas Crowalker, Lucas Dragonheart, Lucas Pheonixfire
Platform
iOS, PC
Do we send the gifts in mail?

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
Do we send the gifts in mail?
December 15th - December 21st: all registered players will send their gifts to their assigned event characters.
The Rules
You can only send what can be attached in emails. In other words, how you choose to fill those three slots is entirely up to you, but please do not send second emails with even more gifts.
Players must not give their gifts themselves to their assigned person, as it would defeat the purpose of being a Secret Santa. You must send your gifts to the event character.
In short, yes. (And you might want to refer back to the very first post in this thread and reread every single word. I'm trying not to be mean here, but simply emphatic. The community doesn't want people missing out because they didn't fully understand how the event will be run, hence the lengthy intro which you NEED to read in order to sign up and then participate.)

Reactions: Sweets
  • Likex1

Allison Wonderland

Priestess
Royal Guardian
Platform
PC

Oh you would be surprised.. anyone who needs xp for village skills would love a stack of wild wood. fish or ore of Any level.

Reactions: Myst and Zazie
  • Likex2

Wait

Great Adventurer
Characters
Wait,Bubble O Seven, Powunow, Wait 4Bubbles, and Baby Bubble
Platform
iOS, PC
Maybe I will participate and it sounds like fun! Thank you for all of the suggestions for gifts too ! <3

Reactions: Allison Wonderland
  • Likex1

ZunaQ

Adventurer
Characters
ZunaQ-Sealab2021girl
Platform
Android
What will happen if second party never sends in the gifts? Will we be rematched with someone else. Also will we be matched with people around same level (asking for a few low lvl ppl that asked me being worried what to gift if they get matched with a high lvl player)

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
What will happen if second party never sends in the gifts? Will we be rematched with someone else. Also will we be matched with people around same level (asking for a few low lvl ppl that asked me being worried what to gift if they get matched with a high lvl player)
If players send in gifts, we can guarantee they will receive gifts in return. Nobody will come away empty handed. :) However, we are not matching people according to levels -- it's an entirely random shuffle. But check above for some of the great gift ideas people have been posting on this thread.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
But check above for some of the great gift ideas people have been posting on this thread.
And just as additional reassurance: Those gift ideas for lower level players who randomly draw the name of a higher level player? Those are coming directly from several high level players who have previously participated in the event.

Here's something I posted on the subject on Discord:
I participated last year, and I quite enjoyed it. Last year, I signed up on my nearly-capped priest. It didn't really matter to me what I received or whether the person who drew my name was much lower level than me. If you're looking for gift ideas, read some of the responses on the forums.

I had the most fun figuring out what to get the person whose name I drew! Being an anonymous Santa and sending a greeting is what I most love about the event. :D

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox
Platform
iOS, PC
Gifts for high level players could be gobazolla or luckinums

if you don’t have any, have fun hunting for plentiful nodes, I have found a lot of them by gathering.

Reactions: OceansDancing
  • Likex1

Concinus

Grand Priestess
Characters
Tindra Silvertass
Platform
Steam
Bingo!
And please don't let a present be a traders idol? I'm not kidding we had them last year
You're such a party-pooper, Eki. Reindeer poo is still an OK gift though, right?

Reactions: Zazie
  • Hahax1