Chris30s

Reader
Platform
PC
Is there a reason why the new character calendar resets once a day (every 22 hours)? Why doesn't it reset at midnight Pacific time like the regular monthly calendar? Or is this a bug?

If it's not a bug, I would like to suggest that it be put on the same reset schedule as the regular calendar, please.

Lord Pyrrus

Servant of Mallok
Platform
Android, PC
Just curious. Why do you want it changed? A new player can finish the calendar that much quicker if they desire to sign in every 22 hours.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
A dev could provide a more detailed response, but I'm pretty sure it is not a bug.

The daily calendar is time-based and will reset whether or not a player makes use of it. The new character calendar is activity-based and the reset is not triggered unless it is actually used. If you were to create a new character, play it for a few days and then miss a few, you would return to find it had only advanced one day. This guarantees that a new character will get every reward from the new character calendar, regardless of how long it takes them to complete it.

Chris30s

Reader
Platform
PC
Last edited
Just curious. Why do you want it changed? A new player can finish the calendar that much quicker if they desire to sign in every 22 hours.
It's just a matter of convenience. The time of day that I can get in game is never the same. If the time span between 2 of my "play times" hasn't been 22 hours, I have to wait an extra day. But, if it were changed, as long as my 2nd opportunity is after midnight Pacific, I'd be able to collect from the calendar again.
A dev could provide a more detailed response, but I'm pretty sure it is not a bug.

The daily calendar is time-based and will reset whether or not a player makes use of it. The new character calendar is activity-based and the reset is not triggered unless it is actually used. If you were to create a new character, play it for a few days and then miss a few, you would return to find it had only advanced one day. This guarantees that a new character will get every reward from the new character calendar, regardless of how long it takes them to complete it.
Yes, thanks Layla... I am pretty sure it isn't a bug, myself. A dev providing a more detailed response about why it's different is exactly what I'm hoping for, really.

Again, yes, thank you... I understand how the 2 calendars work and how they are different. The 2nd part of my post is a request/suggestion to change it. If that change makes it more convenient for me, I would think there are other players that feel the same.

(and if that request/suggestion means that a Mod moves this thread to the Suggestions subforum, that's certainly fine with me)

Reactions: Allison Wonderland
  • Likex1

Erwalt

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Yes, thanks Layla... I am pretty sure it isn't a bug, myself. A dev providing a more detailed response about why it's different is exactly what I'm hoping for, really.
Written in patch notes 4.14:

There is a completely new 30 day calendar, just for new players.
  • With 30 days to fill, there are plenty of new awesome rewards.
  • Unlike before, this calendar doesn’t allow for skipped days, so all characters will always get all of the rewards.
  • Once completed, the character will then begin seeing the normal monthly login calendar.
  • All new player calendars give soulbound items.

The old calendar worked exactly like you are suggesting it to work and I'm pretty sure it will not be changed back since there were so many posts about people losing valuable starter rewards because not being able to log on every single day which as a result brought this new calendar system.

Chris30s

Reader
Platform
PC
Thank you, Erwalt, but I've read that and it doesn't answer my question. What I'm wondering is why they chose to make the new character calendar have a 22 hour reset, vs. the midnight Pacific reset of the regular calendar.

I am NOT suggesting that it be changed back to the way it was or changed to be exactly like the daily calendar. I really like the fact that new characters can log in and get the next item on the calendar, even if it's been more than a day since they last logged in. I don't want anyone to lose out on any of the items.

All I'm suggesting is a change to the reset TIME. Once you've claimed a day, then let the next day's item become available at midnight Pacific... and stay available until you claim it.

Chris30s

Reader
Platform
PC
... linking it to midnight pacific time?
Because that's the time that the regular daily calendar resets.
... given a fairly predictable schedule.
My computer time/gaming schedule is not the same from day to day.
... If it were tied to an arbitrary time, such as midnight pacific, I would have to remember to log in again at a time which would most likely be inconvenient for me and possibly the majority of other players. If I did not or could not log in again, the timing of the gifts would be pushed back a day for every time this happened and would take longer to collect all the gifts.
But it's not arbitrary. As stated above, it's the time that the regular calendar resets. And, in fact, I feel that changing it to reset at that time would get new players used to/familiar with that time and, therefore, have a better sense of timing for once the regular calendar begins for them.

As a player with a regular schedule, there really shouldn't be any problem if the calendar timing were changed. Let's say you log in at 5pm Pacific time and claim today's item. The calendar will reset at midnight and the next item box will open. When you log in tomorrow at 5pm, the calendar will be ready for you. You don't have to remember to log in at any specific time, so it wouldn't be inconvenient.

If the timing were changed, as I stated in a previous post, it would make it more convenient for me (and probably others) to have the next calendar box open at a set time every day, like the way the regular calendar timing resets, rather than "wait 22 hours from now to claim again." That way, whenever I get the chance to log in during that day, the item would be available to me. There are quite a number of days where I get to play during the evening hours Pacific time, but the next day my only chance is before lunch. With the clock set the way it is, I would end up having to wait until the *next* day to claim the calendar item. My feeling was that changing the time reset to match the regular calendar would be a good compromise between those that have a regular playing schedule and those of us that don't.

Thank you for taking the time to post and share your point of view.