Check 1 poop answer and 1 coal answer (you are limited to 2 answers)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
After listening to all the noise surrounding poop and coal, I figured someone had to come up with an idea to appease the masses. I initially proposed this on the test server and people seemed to like it; so I thought I'd release it to the public for all to see in all its ... um ... glory. If you like it, feel free to like or heart or whatever, but what is even more important is answering the poll. I hear the Otters like polls and have used them in the past to make decisions about certain things. So, let them all know what you want! And with that ... the proposal.

Here is my proposal for poop and coal replacements:

Poop: Gouger Poop
1642017922131.png
(taken from Gouger Fertilizer)​

Lore (I'm sure we can do better with some thought, but this will do for now lol):
Our Heroes learned many things on their journey through the Blight region. One of them is that gouger poop makes really good fertilizer. Armed with this knowledge the people now search gouger remains to acquire this newly discovered fertilizer.

How to Acquire: Semi-rare drop from any gouger in the game.

Coal: Temporal Coal
1642017933391.png
(taken from Eternal Coal)​

Lore:
One day an explorer found the charred remains of a treant (or tree) and took a piece with her for examination. It was discovered that this substance could be used as a combustible like Eternal Coal. While it wasn't nearly as hot, it lasted longer in all environments and it was abundant. While everyone had a different idea for what use this could have, they all agreed on one thing: They wanted more of it.

How to Acquire: There are multiple possibilities.
  1. Semi-rare drop from any treant in the game.
  2. Recipe involving wood at a smith.
  3. Semi-rare drop from gathering at any "wood lore" node.

Reactions: Tareco and Kaydee
  • Likex2

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
I like this idea, but what will we use the poo and coal for? Were you thinking the poo might be used to fertilize our gardens and the coal for crafting something? I need to know the purpose of these items, before I can vote please. 🙂

Imp

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Platform
iOS, PC
Poop and coal never had to have a use before. Why does it need a use now? :)

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Poop and coal never had to have a use before. Why does it need a use now? :)
It doesn't need to have a use, but if it's not going to be used for anything, then why should the Devs spend any time or resources making changes to it? 🙂

Reactions: XMerlindaX and Ekimie
  • Likex2

Imp

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Platform
iOS, PC
We are so quick to forget the poop riot of January 2021. Those were dark days.

In all seriousness, I agree. But this post is fun so we should debate the options that will never happen anyway!

Reactions: CaraLox and Zaphyra
  • Hahax2

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox/ShamRoc/Axalon/Mini me
Platform
iOS, PC
We are so quick to forget the poop riot of January 2021. Those were dark days.

In all seriousness, I agree. But this post is fun so we should debate the options that will never happen anyway!
I believe Sarah did say they were open to suggestions…. I would like to see poop used as fertilizer

• Likex1

Ashwyn

Reader
Platform
iOS, PC
The way I look at poop and coal: 😕 💩

They are great gag gifts and often surprise people who see them for the first time because they are not a common thing. This is what makes them special and fun.

I like the fact that they are rare and you only get the opportunity to grab some during the Winter Event Zone.

I DO wish they would remain in inventory after the EZ leaves, though.

If they became plentiful and everyone had thousands, it would no longer be a special item.

My vote is to leave them as they are, but tag them not to be removed after the EZ (similar to Last Year's Candy from the Halloween Event).

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox/ShamRoc/Axalon/Mini me
Platform
iOS, PC
The way I look at poop and coal: 😕 💩

They are great gag gifts and often surprise people who see them for the first time because they are not a common thing. This is what makes them special and fun.

I like the fact that they are rare and you only get the opportunity to grab some during the Winter Event Zone.

I DO wish they would remain in inventory after the EZ leaves, though.

If they became plentiful and everyone had thousands, it would no longer be a special item.

My vote is to leave them as they are, but tag them not to be removed after the EZ (similar to Last Year's Candy from the Halloween Event).
unfortunately Sarah said they are not changing their mind about the poop and coal.
but i do agree with rarity, whatever gets added should be uniquely rare so that it becomes a collector item.
or if it becomes very common, have it do something like fertilize our gardens

• Likex1

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
I, personally, am mostly indifferent about all this. My primary objective (at the meta level) was to test just how much the community actually wants poop and coal in the game. Is this just a vocal minority that wants something silly and stupid or is there a significant group of people who's gaming experience would be improved from adding something like this?

That said, let's see if I can answer some of the criticisms offered so far:
  • Lack of functionality: I intentionally left this open. That way, if the Otters so chose, they could easily add whatever features seem reasonable. Poop could work like a better form of water, but must be applied individually. It could also increase the benefits of Abundant Harvest or provide a shorter growth time if used BEFORE planting your garden. Likewise, coal could be used to create other items (like steel or flammables) or as an ingredient in certain cooking recipes (smoked salmon ... mmmm). The options are open, not excluded.
  • Too common for a gag gift: That was my fault! I created this in haste and didn't consider just how common this item would be even with a "semi-rare" tag on it. Initially I thought about a timer, but that would be an inventory nightmare. They could all be like relics instead, resetting at fixed times (maybe once a year or something - right before Grinchta perhaps). Another alternative is to make them much rarer ... like, rare zog or darrig chest rare. As they would be gag items in this scenario, there is really no incentive to farm them unless you really really value the stuff ... and so it fulfills its purpose.
  • Just don't remove them: Sarah has mentioned multiple times officially (only direct statements I could find are on the test server) and unofficially (link to discord - message in the image below) that the Otters will NOT be changing these items. As they are attached to an event, they will be removed at the end of the event to maintain consistency. We may not like it, but Sarah also said that if we wanted them, we should provide an alternative for something that could remain outside the event. Given no one else is doing this and the initial very divided responses so far, I severely doubt that there is a strong enough desire in the community for gag items (though that seemed quite different last year - link to that fiasco). But this is just one person's opinion and it remains to be seen, though.
1642113754907.png

• Likex1

Constantine ElSheba

Arch Wizard
Characters
ElSheba, ElMarie, el lisa
Platform
Android
Jokes apart, I do want some gag stuff but also functional ones. My ideas are:
Poop
  • gag - Golden gallbladder - a rare or even epic item dropped from ranch animals or beast type enemies.
  • Useful - fertilizer - dropped from ranch animals and found in zones. Like the dung we have to finf in the rye, but without the quest and in all zones.
Coal
  • Gag - Fiery coal - a rare or even epic item dropped from humanoid enemies.
  • Useful - coal - crafting item - found while mining

Jytal

Servant of Mallok
Platform
iOS
I voted for "want poop/coal but not the ones proposed."
I also do not know whether or not the "don't want any poop/coal" option includes not wanting the current reindeer poop and coal. If it does include current poop and coal, that is unfortunate that people want something removed from the game completely. If it does not, I wonder if it changes anyone's votes. From what it sounds like, reindeer poop and coal is only going to be around for the event zone.

Ideally reindeer poop and coal stay and are not removed imo. There are more inconsistencies in the game and don't know why gag items from an event zone take more priority than other things.
Last year, they took the time to add a NPC to give poop and coal to players, it doesn't make sense to now take that back; sounds like a lot of wasted time.
Finding a substitute for a gag item will not invoke the same feeling, it's pointless but it's nostalgic, and that's what matters. It's the same as a child's favorite toy, it could be as simple as a rubber ball, you can give them something that's basically the same thing but, they'll know and feel it's not their favorite toy; when you go to a restaurant and you think "WOW THAT'S AN AMAZING MEAL" and when you go back again, it won't be the same or as amazing as you remember it to be; your favorite childhood game, even if remastered it might be a good game but it won't be as good as you remember.
Once reindeer poop and coal are gone, so will the gag item (besides trader idols) gifts fun. As for trader idols, I have a vault and mailbox full of them, my friends and I enjoy gag items and will be sad when they are gone.

Giruv

Merchant
Royal Guardian
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
Last edited
I agree with what Jytal said. Replacing them is pointless, because most of the item value is in form of nostalgic and effort that have already put in to collecting it. Like last year I only got like about 100 of each, while this year I got about 2-3k of them, but when they are removed I'm way less mad about it this year, because the one I got last year was one that I've painstakingly collect over the years, while the few thousands I have this year is pretty much given out by the npc. So yeah if they want to remove them so be it, making a replacement is pretty much an insult.

What I'm annoyed the most is the precedent it make. It as if the Otter saying they can remove anything they want at any time without a good reason. Which devalue the activity of collecting items altogether.

Reactions: Jytal
  • Likex1

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
There are more inconsistencies in the game and don't know why gag items from an event zone take more priority than other things.
Because when they don't remove it too, there will always be enough players miffed that an item they wanted to keep from event has disappeared. 'BUT THE POOP IS FROM EVENT TOO AND THAT STAYED'. Even with a hundred messages which will stay and which will go at the end, as long there are items that stay players will claim false hope that maybe their item they wanted to keep would be an exception too. If everything goes, there is 0 discussion possible about it.
And surprisingly, otters don't want a discussion about every single disappearing item and having to justify it. Probably.

• Likex1

Constantine ElSheba

Arch Wizard
Characters
ElSheba, ElMarie, el lisa
Platform
Android
Because when they don't remove it too, there will always be enough players miffed that an item they wanted to keep from event has disappeared. 'BUT THE POOP IS FROM EVENT TOO AND THAT STAYED'. Even with a hundred messages which will stay and which will go at the end, as long there are items that stay players will claim false hope that maybe their item they wanted to keep would be an exception too. If everything goes, there is 0 discussion possible about it.
And surprisingly, otters don't want a discussion about every single disappearing item and having to justify it. Probably.
Maybe one of the npc will convert 100 of them into something that can be kept? I don't know, like
droppings→golden raindeer balls
coal →carved coal figurine
And only once will they convert it for coal and droppings.
I honestly don't know if it can be done as I think it's still from the zone event.
After all I like to keep them as nostalgic objects but I also don't want them to be the reason others point at when they want something else to be kept.

Ashwyn

Reader
Platform
iOS, PC
  • Just don't remove them: Sarah has mentioned multiple times officially (only direct statements I could find are on the test server) and unofficially (link to discord - message in the image below) that the Otters will NOT be changing these items. As they are attached to an event, they will be removed at the end of the event to maintain consistency. We may not like it, but Sarah also said that if we wanted them, we should provide an alternative for something that could remain outside the event. Given no one else is doing this and the initial very divided responses so far, I severely doubt that there is a strong enough desire in the community for gag items (though that seemed quite different last year - link to that fiasco). But this is just one person's opinion and it remains to be seen, though.
1642113754907.png
I understand and kind of agree with consistency. It takes the guess work out of what to expect when an EZ is over and I'm sure it cuts down on the CS tickets about 'My poop is gone!' I don't think adding more poop to the game, functional or not, would be worth the dev effort and resources though. I personally would rather see time spent on bug fixes, clarity and new content. Besides, there are already quite a few poop/dung/guts related quests in V&H. 😅

However, please remove last year's candy and my carrots and jelly beans too. (I don't WANT you to, BUT, consistency isn't consistent if I have moldy jelly beans)

Reactions: Zaphyra and CaraLox
  • Likex2

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
I chose the options for "I want poop/coal, but not this poop/coal"... but I'm not sure if that was the right option. :unsure:

What I really want, is for the EZ gag items like poop, coal and last year's candy... to drop during the EZ and remain after the EZ. So players may collect them and/or use them as gag gifts. 🤡💩

In order to prevent confusion, the Devs could simply update the item descriptions:

"Congratulations, you found a rare EZ item! This item will remain in your inventory, even after the EZ ends. Feel free to collect, trade and share these fun gag gifts."