Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
I know, I know... the Blighted Isles can't be beautiful, because they're BLIGHTED... but maybe there's a way to make our 90-95 maps beautiful and enjoyable, while maintaining the Blighted storyline... :)πŸ‘‡

One of the things I enjoy most about V&H, are the beautiful and interesting maps. So, you may imagine my disappointment at opening the Blighted Isles and finding dreary, depressing monochrome maps... full of dead trees, black water and motes/mobs that are hard to see, because everything is the same color. Then realizing that I will be spending the majority of my time running these maps, as I level from 90 to 95... and throughout all of my end-game. πŸ˜―πŸ˜°πŸ˜©πŸ˜–

I know there will be some players who feel the Blighted Isles are fine, as-is... but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of players will find them unappealing and we might even be losing some end-game players, because they don't enjoy running these ugly maps... and we have no idea when/if new content will be added. 😬

So, I'd like to suggest the following changes... which will maintain the Blighted storyline, while giving players beautiful maps, to enjoy during their end-game:
  1. Instead of making each Island entirely Blighted, make each Island partially Blighted and change the narrative to say that we're helping to keep the Blight from spreading.
  2. Make about 1/4 of each Island Blighted and leave the Bounties/Mobs Blighted... to give the impression that these foes, are spreading from the Blighted areas.
  3. On the small Islands, place the Blighted area around the portal to the larger Islands... giving the impression that the Blight is spreading from the Elders on the larger Islands.
  4. On the large Islands, place the Blighted area around each Elder (or their lair)... once again, giving the impression that the Blight is spreading from the Elders.
  5. Outside of the Blighted areas, make the rest of the maps beautiful and interesting... so players may look forward to running these zones each day.
Bevyn's Coille is a good example of how these changes might look in the Blighted Isles. In Bevyn's we have a "blighted" area in the center of the map (around Bevyn), then the rest of the map is beautiful. I believe our Devs already have many landscape assets available and they would only need to change the graphics and tweak the quests a bit... to give us beautiful and interesting maps, that will make the 90-95 grind more enjoyable. ☺(y)

Reactions: Sigfrido and CaraLox
  • Likex2

sirbabbo

Warrior
Platform
iOS
Have you been to Shadenor and quietus??? :(

Those are my two favorite areas that are really beautiful! I wish we can have those areas as an option in our village!!

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Shyama

Bog Frog
Characters
way too many... :)
Platform
Android, PC
Shadenor & Dusk Twins are my favorite zones in the game, I love the blues & purples. Sometimes when I have a stressful day, I'll take a toon & just go stand around in Shadenor for a while to relax. I'd hate to lose my happy place! I might be in the minority because I actually like all the blight islands, but I do enjoy the difference in these zones from the rest of the game. The starkness of the ash islands can make for some great screenshots! :)

As far as the Elders, I don't see any benefit from moving them out of the bountylands into the outer blight islands. It would just mean having to port between multiple zones which would be a pain.

Sigfrido

Warrior
Platform
PC
What saddened me playing the 90+ zones is to discover that the islands were civilized but there is no trace of cities, collapsed buildings (perhaps with the possibility of entering them), ancient foundations or statues. Except Shanedor, all the other islands are flat and barren. I mean, they don't give me the feeling of traveling a territory with a past history or glory. :(

But above all, why when you run in Ash White and Cinder Starnd does my character get stuck on invisible walls? Hidden buildings?:p

Reactions: Anthem, Zaphyra and Neia
  • Likex3

Giruv

Merchant
Royal Guardian
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
Instead of making each Island entirely Blighted, make each Island partially Blighted and change the narrative to say that we're helping to keep the Blight from spreading.
I think instead of making partially like Bevyn's Coille, I prefer if it is more like Summers Hollow where the environment change bit by bit reverting the curse. I think that will make it more consistent with the lore too. Tho if it is done that way, we might have to wait for new content till "the actual 95 elder" is out

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Finally some feedback on my suggestion, ty all for sharing your thoughts. πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

I haven't unlocked the large islands or done a 95 Elder run. I wouldn't want to change the Elders... I just wanted the partial Blight, to emanate from their location.

I understand that some players enjoy these monochrome Blighted maps and that's a valid opinion. My suggestion wouldn't remove the Blight entirely, just make the Blighted areas smaller.

I find the intense red of the Scarlet Isle jarring and the dull black/white of Ash White to be the worst map in the entire game... it feels unfinished, like the Devs just dropped some black/white graphics into the game. πŸ˜–

I would love to run end-game maps with a 25% Blighted area, full of ancient ruins... as if the main cities were destroyed by the Blight... then hunt the Blighted Bounties and mobs throughout beautiful maps full of forests, groves, springs and waterfalls... to prevent the Blight from spreading.

A few more gathering nodes, would be nice too. 😊

Reactions: Sigfrido
  • Likex1

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
What saddened me playing the 90+ zones is to discover that the islands were civilized but there is no trace of cities, collapsed buildings (perhaps with the possibility of entering them), ancient foundations or statues. Except Shanedor, all the other islands are flat and barren. I mean, they don't give me the feeling of traveling a territory with a past history or glory. :(

But above all, why when you run in Ash White and Cinder Starnd does my character get stuck on invisible walls? Hidden buildings?:p
When the blight hit, the islands were reduced to a mere shadow of their former selves.... So were their buildings... Maybe if you start digging you'll find some foundations :p (please don't make that a quest)

Jolon

Adventurer
Characters
Jolon, Jenalya
Platform
iOS
Shadenor and Dusk Twins I find absolutely beauteous and coming upon the hints of ruins there and a few other places is fun. I find Cinder and Ash White to be actually rather calming. The blood isles tend to strain my eyes if I’m running them too long, and the death isles are like an explosion of overwhelming cold color tones creating an odd cluttered feeling (particularly the small isle) in my slightly colorblind vision πŸ˜‚.

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
I've now opened all the Blighted Isles and these are my thoughts:
  • I truly feel like the black/white maps are the worst in the game... they literally feel unfinished... like the Devs were tired and just wanted to complete the zone. If the partial Blight idea (from my first post) doesn't appeal to our Devs... then perhaps they could liven-up this zone with some embers? Since it's an "ash" zone... I'm assuming this was/is some sort of Fire Blight? If so, why not give us some dark patches on the ground with orange/red glowing cracks, that look like the ground is perpetually burning... also some trees and rocks with the ember effect... then some tiny floating embers in the air. Keep it Spooky, Burnt and Blighted (but make it lovely, like Zorian Marsh)... and add some smouldering ruins. Actually... if this is some sort of magical Blight, then the burning ember areas could be dark with glowing magical embers in green, purple, blue, etc... I think our Devs could really have fun with this idea.
  • The red Islands still feel jarring and unpleasant. It's too monochromatic and it's hard to see mobs, bounties and motes. Again, if the partial Blight idea isn't appealing... then maybe our Devs would consider adding a few more colors? Perhaps the ground could be a much darker red... so the red rocks, mobs, etc will contrast with the ground. Maybe the trees and shrubs could be in fall colors of brown/orange/gold... just to break up the monochrome?
  • The green Islands are ok... although I find them dreary, the map has plenty of color and texture.
  • The purple Islands are lovely... but once again, I'd like to break up the monochrome. Maybe add a bit more lavender-blue to the foilage and make the ground a darker purple... so mobs, rocks etc will contrast more against the ground.
I still prefer my original suggestion, to make each island partially Blighted and have players do bounties and quests to keep the Blight from spreading. I'd love to login each day and run beautiful maps, like: Copse of Treants, Bevyn's or Traven... but if not, then I hope our Devs will consider some small changes, to break up the monochrome color schemes and make it easier for players to see mobs, bounties, motes, etc.

Thanks for listening and considering our feedback! πŸ‘‹πŸ˜Š

Reactions: Zysen and CaraLox
  • Likex2

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Personally I think that a dreary, solemn atmosphere can be very beautiful in its own right. :)
I agree with this sentiment, there are a few dreary maps in the game that I really enjoy... Zorian Marsh and Zombie Town are good examples of "Dark and Dreary" done right. πŸ€©πŸ‘

However, I truly feel that the Blighted Isles missed the mark. IMHO, these end-game maps should be some of the most beautiful and interesting in the game. They should reward players for making it to level 90 and encourage them to keep logging in, because the maps are fun, beautiful and interesting. I thought they might be partially Blighted, like Bevyns... or challenging, like the Drom (but with beautiful floating islands instead of platforms). 😍

I love this game and have been playing off-n-on for several years (I began playing, when it was "A Mystical Land)... I finally made it to 90 and was really disappointed to unlock the Blighted Isles... only to find these dreary, simple, monochrome maps. I truly believe that you will retain more end-game players, if you improve these maps and make them something end-game players enjoy running each day. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

We also have many older players, with eyesight issues... and I've read a few posts where they complain about the difficulty of seeing mobs/motes on the monochrome maps. 😬

So, please understand that I appreciate the Otters listening to feedback from players... and every suggestion I make, is NOT intended to criticize our Devs... but rather to provide honest player feedback... in the hope that it might improve the game... and allow me to continue playing, for years to come. πŸ˜πŸ‘

Improving the game and growing our player base, is my only agenda. πŸ™‚

Thanks for listening. 😊🍻😊

Kitty the Hunter

Villager
Platform
PC
I agree with this sentiment, there are a few dreary maps in the game that I really enjoy... Zorian Marsh and Zombie Town are good examples of "Dark and Dreary" done right. πŸ€©πŸ‘
This has me thinking of Summers Hollow and the Miscreant quest and how the zone gets darker and gloomier the farther into the quest we go but instead add quests in the blight zones that slowly brighten the zones as parts of the quests are done (one quest for each zone) so that players can choose their dreary and gloomy levels by stopping, or not doing, the quests.

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Blight won't always be end-game, who knows what is in store after? Hopefully a contrast! After villager stuff ofc ;)
I'm really hoping they'll raise the level-cap and give us new content... but I still hope they'll consider improving the Blighted Isles. There are so many beautiful, interesting and challenging maps in this game... I just know they can do better. πŸ™‚