SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Last edited
So, I got my plaugebringer gear set put together. One thing I was interested in was how much it would affect my stats. The gear wasn't ideal and I was using 5 rares and 1 epic. In primary stats ,the losses were actually pretty minor, from 195% to 187% critical damage was the only significant change. Gained some haste, lost some expertise. I lost a lot in the epic glyph abilities. Poise, glory, and flux, all down significantly. I don't know if modifying my rune selection (which is mostly primary abilities) would be. I also lost a decent bit of holy power, but I could shuffle some of that back in by switching some things.

Here are the bonuses listed for reference:
2 pieces: Corrupting plague's duration reduced by 50% (so from 60s to 30s)
4 pieces: Upon completion, Gloom afflicts the target with "Shadow infusion", increasing the critical strike chance of your curses by 30% against the target
6 pieces: When your shadow curses end, you gain between 1 and 5 stacks of "Pestilence". Your next curse consumes up to 3 stacks, increasing its damage by 25% per stack.

So, I was firstly curious about Shadow infusion and Pestilence and how they worked.

Question 1: Does detonating curses with shadow orbs would give me either of those buffs?
A1: It definitely does not.

Question 2: If an enemy dies with a curse, how does this affect the buffs?
A2: If you don't have shadow weave talent, nothing happens. If you do have shadow weave talent and there is another enemy nearby, the curse goes to that enemy. If the curse finishes before killing that enemy, then you get (Edit: you get pestilence stacks, but the enemy doesn't get shadow infusion).

Question 3: If you re-cast a curse, what happens?
A3: If you re-cast a curse before it is finished, then you do not get a buff.

Question 4: How long do pestilence stacks last?
A4: "forever" that is, until you case a curse, which does use 3 stacks up each cast. Of note: Vile echoes doesn't seem to get any benefit from pestilence.

Question 5: How long does Shadow Infusion last?
A5: 10 seconds. Gloom takes 10 seconds, so you should be able to keep it up almost all the time once you get it (as long as you aren't detonating your curses)

With those questions answered, I just ran through some heroic raids and tried to just "play normally". I virtually never got the buffs except on final raid boss. Either I exploded the curses before completion, or things died. Once in a while a miniboss would result in a buff, but the boss was so close to death, I rarely had time to even cast another spell.

So, I changed my talents, I removed Unstable power, so I couldn't detonate curses. This did result in me getting the buff more, but things were still mostly dead before I got the buff (and I suspect I was just taking longer to kill things, except maybe the end boss). Of special note: given the removal of hexing shadows, it did cross my mind that Expertise became much less useful. No point in recasting a DoT if it's already up.

I did intentionally try a few things like stacking up some pestilence stacks and then running into a boss room "stacked" from the start and that does work out pretty well. Popping gloom, shadow bolt, and corrupting plague on a boss each with +75% damage and then exploding them with brutal force shadow orbs was pretty darn sweet.

I tried it in sugarsweet on some open world bosses and it was very frustrating that I couldn't see my DoT icons on the boss buff bar. I think I accidentally re-cast some DoTs sometimes when they were still running.

All in all, I think the set isn't quite good enough to go for it all the time.
Assuming you have Unstable Power, the corrupting plague boost is worthless. You can cast shadow orbs every 5 seconds. Over the course of 30 seconds, you can cast shadow orbs at least 5 times. There is a 1% chance that you will not have detonated corrupting plague by that point.

The second ability seems better, 30% increased crit chance - but, the ability doesn't work if you detonate your gloom curse. You'll probably get 2 shadow orbs casts off during each gloom duration, so that's a 16% chance that it didn't get detonated. If you remove unstable power, then this ability becomes pretty reliable in the toughest boss fights - elders, event zones, raid bosses, and I think it would be worth having just for that. You might not top the charts by mowing the trash down, but would be quite powerful for the boss. But, giving up unstable power's huge benefit with regards to exploding corrupting plague (which you can recast every ~15 seconds.) cuts your benefit down.

The third ability is equally hard to get stacked - you pretty much have to drop unstable power to benefit from these. Situationally, it can be really nice, but it's hard to force it, and the gameplay makes it very tough to achieve (have to avoid re-casting an active curse). You'll likely have to accept some "curse downtime" to get any stacks of it.

Other than a complete rework, I don't know what would be best to improve this. I have brainstormed 3 options:
Option 1: Detonate for half benefit. Getting 100% benefit from detonation seems a bit OP, but maybe a 50% benefit from detonated curses wouldn't be? Detonating gloom has a 50% chance to apply Shadow infusion, and detonated curses have a 50% chance to give stacks of pestilence (or maybe detonated curses each give just 1 stack of pestilence every time vs. if they complete, they give more).

Option 2: Buffs ignore re-casts and detonations. Shadow infusion appears 10 seconds after gloom is cast. Period. Detonating or re-casting gloom doesn't block it from appearing. Pestilence charges would be trickier, but my suggestion would be to gain a pestilence charge with each tick of every DoT, then rescale the power values. Some rough math says that right now, if you never detonated or recast, then you'd gain roughly half of a charge per second if casting all your DoTs. You have 5 DoTs. So, instead of 1 charge being +25%, if you made one charge +2.5% (25/5 DoTs *0.5 per second), and then each tick of a DoT gives you a charge (or can double the value and make each tick have a 50% chance to give you a charge) and each cast consumes 30 charges.

Option 3: Additionally reduce the durations of gloom and shadow bolt (and vile echoes?). If the second tier skill reduced shadow bolt's duration to 5 and the third tier took shadow bolt's duration to 6, then the abilities would still be complex to take advantage of and would still sort of require turning off unstable power. But, it would add a non-detonation pathway for a build choice in shadow.

Has anyone else tried this stuff out? What did YOU think?

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
I mistook something in the original post: Shadow Infusion does not currently trigger if the gloom spell was cast on a different enemy.

Example: Cast gloom on enemy 1. Enemy dies, due to Shadow Weave, it bounces to enemy 2. Gloom finishes on enemy 2. Shadow infusion does not trigger. (Pestilence stacks do trigger.)

Reactions: Urzaa
  • Likex1

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
I have been using this set nearly since it came out. What I myself have determined is orbs are no longer useful. I also use the target swap to stack curses as fast as I can on multiple enemies. Doing this makes expertise still useful and I also have many stacks of pestilence a lot of the time during raids.

All the play style changes makes my toon very good at multi enemy battle DPS but it's at the sacrifice of single target DPS. To be precise, I cannot compete single target with a mythic shadow priest of equal stats but they cannot compete with me in multi target battles.

The biggest issue I've found is you need all your rune slots for the augmentation runes because you lose your glyphs on the gear but if you do that, the penalty of not having the blight runes during 95s is very punishing.

This has caused me to run a mythic set for 95s and a fabled set for raids. Gets old changing the talents back and forth.

Best Regards,
Urzaa

Reactions: Yuriza
  • Likex1

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Last edited
I have tried the plaguebringer set a few more times.

I tried it bounty running - it's pretty useless there (as to be expected, everything is dead before you get any of the benefits).

I tried it in Rift - there, it was more complicated. The main problem was that I could not see when the DoTs were up or down because the debuff bar is full in a party. So, it was suuuuper annoying from a gameplay perspective. I honestly don't know if I was doing "well" or not, haha. I really want to like it, but need some modifications to make it more playable in the group setting.

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
That's the problem I run into. I wish they'd put all of the effects for the player clicking on the mob at the beginning of that list or something. It's a very powerful set. I can top the damage charts myself in a lot of cases but it requires me to constantly stare at the little squares at the top. Glad you tried it again.

-M.

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Yeah, I still have trouble believing that math-wise, it can beat out having the explosions.

On multi-target situations, things die too fast for it to be useful and then on single target situations, the explosions accelerate things so much.

But... it's pretty hard to figure out you'd calculate or determine it.

Reactions: Urzaa
  • Likex1

Hotdogs and Milk

BRA Member
Characters
Hotdogs and milk
Platform
  1. Android
yup one thing I've noticed in this game is gear is irrelevant lol it's such a focus on solo content and nothing is impossible to accomplish. Gear just makes you look good to players who are watching the dps Meters. But those players are also the ones who have the best gear possible for what reason they just want to have the best gear it doesn't matter on the end a player with full green can still accomplish what a player with full legendary is able to.

Reactions: CoolGamer
  • Likex1

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
Gotta admire the dedication to trolling. In game and in forums. That's commitment.

-Urzaa

Reactions: Sewer
  • Hahax1