Gadzooks1

Great Adventurer
Characters
Gadzooks1, gadz
Platform
PC
So i haven't been playing much lately because my PC is really not handling the game well. Every update results in less response to my outdated computer. I get about 4-12 fps and thats on low settings. I'm not even sure this question is technically allowed but I was hoping that other players can suggest some lower priced PCs that can handle this game decently. The PC I have is a very basic everyday PC and I don't expect it to be able to play intensive games but it used to work OK. I am pretty clueless about technical specs of PC's so researching something that can play games on is confusing to me. I don't necessarily want a gaming computer, especially since they cost so much.

Other types of games I used to play are Fallout series, tomb raider, Nancy drew, witcher and other similar open world type games or story based games. I was able to play witcher 2 barely on the lowest possible settings and FO4 caused my PC to constantly crash, so I gave up (a least it was free!)

I would love to get back into this game but it takes 5 minutes or more just to load the main screen and playing on the lowest settings is frustrating. It takes me 10+ minutes just to log in enough to renew my rent. Any advice that could be given is appreciated!

Miss everyone! Hope you all have a great Holiday season

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Are you looking to get a desktop PC or a laptop?

Here's a few basic guidelines:
  • You'll want something that has a dedicated graphics card rather than integrated graphics. Generally if the specs mention "Nvidia" or "AMD" you're good to go, although there's a few exceptions. This will be the most influential decision you can make, since a proper GPU makes for a night and day difference in terms of framerate.
  • You'll want an SSD rather than a hard drive - this will make a huge difference in how long the game takes to start and load between the levels, not to mention overall computer performance.
  • You should look for at least 4GB of RAM, preferably 8GB or more. These days it's very unlikely a new computer has less than 4GB.
  • The CPU should generally be pretty decent if all the above checks out, I wouldn't worry about it all too much.
  • If it's a laptop, don't neglect the build quality! Some laptops are advertised with fantastic specs but they are flimsily built with poor screens and keyboards/trackpads that are hard to use. For this is makes sense to look up reviews.
I'd say that if you want to play V&H as well as FO4 on medium settings, you can easily get a desktop computer for below $500 that'll do the job just fine. Oh, and if you happen to know someone who is decent at building a PC, hand them this list - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F4nyXv - and enjoy a fantastic PC for the price :)

Gadzooks1

Great Adventurer
Characters
Gadzooks1, gadz
Platform
PC
Thank you for the suggestions! This is very helpful.
I was looking for a desktop vs a laptop.

Omnigma

Merchant
Characters
Omnigma
Platform
PC, Steam
While it may be more difficult to run in some areas (like Pyrrus where u want to see the effect on the ground or get turned to stone) I have noticed that turning off zodiac in event zone reduces lag, as well as showing others effects. Note: shutting off additional apps in background can do wonders for FR! GL!