Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
View the full patch notes here, or by clicking "Patch Notes" in the top header.

And here we go! Welcome to the live ‘Beta’ season of The Shadow of the Eclipse! Unlike previous expansions and builds that we’ve released in the past, we are going live with this new feature in a deliberately unfinished form so that we can iterate and improve upon it based upon the experiences and feedback of you all, our live player community! So please consider yourselves all to be Testers, so to speak, for the next two months, and help us to perfect what we hope will be a truly exciting new addition to the game. Jump in, have some fun, and tell us what you think! :)

Also catch up on the backstory here if you haven't already:
villagersandheroes.com/eclipse/

The beta of the Shadow of The Eclipse expansion will release on Monday, May 18th.

🐐

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Question: why is lv95 Crown reward removed?
Crowns are inherently a premium currency and the means by which the game can afford to stay online. While there have been some ways to get free Crowns in the past, and some still exist (e.g. Fan Fridays), generally speaking they are intended as being obtainable by spending money. If this wasn't the case, we couldn't keep running and updating the game.

We understand, of course, that not everyone is willing to spend a lot of money on premium currency, but for that reason we are designing the game around making it enjoyable even without any Crowns at all. It's always a tricky balance since Crowns have to stay valuable enough to allow the game to continue development, and in the case of the Elder Level crowns they have simply gone too far in the opposite direction.

Hopefully this is understandable! At the end of the day, we simply want the game to stick around for as long as it can :)

Aurius

Priest
Platform
Android
I hope to one day see a locked 30 FPS option to mobile settings. I always check patch notes to see if it was finally added, but disappointed every time:cry:

Reactions: Chopst1xx and Katie4567
  • Likex2

Tomgtu

Hero
Platform
iOS
Crowns are inherently a premium currency and the means by which the game can afford to stay online. While there have been some ways to get free Crowns in the past, and some still exist (e.g. Fan Fridays), generally speaking they are intended as being obtainable by spending money. If this wasn't the case, we couldn't keep running and updating the game.

We understand, of course, that not everyone is willing to spend a lot of money on premium currency, but for that reason we are designing the game around making it enjoyable even without any Crowns at all. It's always a tricky balance since Crowns have to stay valuable enough to allow the game to continue development, and in the case of the Elder Level crowns they have simply gone too far in the opposite direction.

Hopefully this is understandable! At the end of the day, we simply want the game to stick around for as long as it can :)
Like mentioned on the discord chat. For some level capped players, crown was an incentive for keep playing the game. Now that it is no longer available, a new incentive must somehow replace that. otherwise there’s no point in continuing after reaching the level cap. personally if it was the issue of increasing the value of crown, reducing drop or drop Chance will be more than suffice, but removing it feels like its farther out of reach for free to play players. Thus, Feels like why anyone even bother.

IoOvOo

Wizard
Characters
loOvOo
Platform
Android, PC

Maybe give a cap to elder soul? lol

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
@Ivar Hill Thank you for shedding light on this change.

I do believe though that Crowns were the main driving force for pursuing elder ranks (I only consider the XP boost the other somewhat worthwhile perk to it), but it being removed, I think it could get an overhaul, to incentivize players to actually pursue XP farming at max level (I really loved the rework of AS, maybe something in similar fashion? Special unlocks at certain levels (cosmetics/toys/mounts/extra unique wardobe slot/etc)? Account wide boosts? Currency rewards? Discount on item shop? etc.)

GoGoGadget

Servant of Mallok
Characters
GoGoGadgetGo
Platform
Android, PC
Removing crowns from elder lvls might not translate to crown sales automaticly thou. I think you guys should revise the crown costs or item cost in itemshop. Currently many things just are tad bit too expensive to get. Paying price of new game for mount and few outfits seems excessive. Maybe it would be better way to drive in sales with the removal of free crowns.

Reactions: Chopst1xx and Red Wizard
  • Likex2

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
I do believe though that Crowns were the main driving force for pursuing elder ranks (I only consider the XP boost the other somewhat worthwhile perk to it), but it being removed, I think it could get an overhaul, to incentivize players to actually pursue XP farming at max level (I really loved the rework of AS, maybe something in similar fashion? Special unlocks at certain levels (cosmetics/toys/mounts/extra unique wardobe slot/etc)? Account wide boosts? Currency rewards? Discount on item shop? etc.)
We are absolutely considering this! Things like unique icons, nameplates and cameos for higher elder levels I think would be a great addition and provide a meaningful reason to keep leveling up :)

And on a more general note, to quote a response I made earlier:

Also - most of the time, if you know you'll want some crowns, one can also save up some money over time and eventually, simply buy crowns. Of course not everyone wants to spend a bunch of money on game premium currency, and that's completely understandable. And not everyone has the income for any sort of non-essential purchases, and that's also entirely fair. But for most people, at least sometimes, money that would have gone towards any other kind of recreation (lunch at a restaurant, a month of subscription to a streaming service, and so on) could be saved up and put towards a crown purchase.

Given that a non-F2P game can often cost upwards of $60, I don't think it's unreasonable to, if you end up really enjoying it, treat it in a similar manner. Not that anyone by any means have to, that's the point of F2P after all! But if you do specifically want crowns, that does represent the non-free aspect of the game and can be approached as such. :)

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
We are absolutely considering this! Things like unique icons, nameplates and cameos for higher elder levels I think would be a great addition and provide a meaningful reason to keep leveling up :)
I think it would be more practical to allow players to show their crafting specialization on their nameplate, or for guild leaders and guild officers to show their status on their nameplate. (The first option would help crafters who are trying to promote their business. The second would help with guild recruitment.) Nameplates which are serving a necessary purpose helps to improve the game. Showing how many elder levels you've earned on your nameplate is really just bragging rights.

GoGoGadget

Servant of Mallok
Characters
GoGoGadgetGo
Platform
Android, PC

And on a more general note, to quote a response I made earlier:

Also - most of the time, if you know you'll want some crowns, one can also save up some money over time and eventually, simply buy crowns. Of course not everyone wants to spend a bunch of money on game premium currency, and that's completely understandable. And not everyone has the income for any sort of non-essential purchases, and that's also entirely fair. But for most people, at least sometimes, money that would have gone towards any other kind of recreation (lunch at a restaurant, a month of subscription to a streaming service, and so on) could be saved up and put towards a crown purchase.

Given that a non-F2P game can often cost upwards of $60, I don't think it's unreasonable to, if you end up really enjoying it, treat it in a similar manner. Not that anyone by any means have to, that's the point of F2P after all! But if you do specifically want crowns, that does represent the non-free aspect of the game and can be approached as such. :)
I think you are risking alot of subscriptions thou with removal of crowns from elder lvls. Many capped players propably keep paying for sub to gains those lvls faster. Now as that incentive is gone there is chance that you will lose the cash on that side wich you think you would be gaining on crown sales. Just for thing to consider.

Reactions: Red Wizard and lujo
  • Likex2

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
I think you are risking alot of subscriptions thou with removal of crowns from elder lvls. Many capped players propably keep paying for sub to gains those lvls faster. Now as that incentive is gone there is chance that you will lose the cash on that side wich you think you would be gaining on crown sales. Just for thing to consider.
We definitely will take these things into consideration! All your feedback is heard :)

Reactions: Alexa412 and GoGoGadget
  • Likex2

Taneriana

Reader
Platform
Android
Will the sounds on mobile ever be changed? I enjoy the music and ambient sound but everytime I move or interact there is a clicking sound. Is there a way the sounds can be separated/silenced so that the music and other things can be enjoyed.

Reactions: Seawolf
  • Likex1

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
1589569840951.png
Will there be different towers for different seasons, or will seasons 'highlight' specific Raids to complete? Curious minds wish to know!

Ivar Hill

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Will there be different towers for different seasons, or will seasons 'highlight' specific Raids to complete? Curious minds wish to know!
New seasons will have a combination of returning and entirely new raid locations, and may also feature different tower layouts.

Reactions: Lamorack and KAVE
  • Likex2

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
This is an important question, as people may have their toons on a toon now that is not their most preferred toon and will need to move them before Monday!
Packs already opened before we go live, will not have the change. But any players who purchased a pack, but have not opened it yet, and then we go live, they will have the change.

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox
Platform
iOS, PC
I am thinking the OP announcement should be condensed and announced in game a few times after patch. I lose track how many time I have had people say they never visit forums or discord.

Reactions: Chopst1xx and IrishElf
  • Lovex1
  • Likex1
Status
Not open for further replies.