IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I remember learning about Mana from heaven in Sunday School.

"Manna (Hebrew: מָן‎ mān, Greek: μάννα; Arabic: المَنّ‎), sometimes or archaically spelled mana is, according to the Bible, an edible substance which God provided for the Israelites during their travels in the desert during the forty-year period following the Exodus and prior to the conquest of Canaan. In the Hebrew Bible, manna is described twice also mentioned in the Quran three times. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna

happinessnjoi

Priestess
Platform
iOS
I remember learning about Mana from heaven in Sunday School.

"Manna (Hebrew: מָן‎ mān, Greek: μάννα; Arabic: المَنّ‎), sometimes or archaically spelled mana is, according to the Bible, an edible substance which God provided for the Israelites during their travels in the desert during the forty-year period following the Exodus and prior to the conquest of Canaan. In the Hebrew Bible, manna is described twice also mentioned in the Quran three times. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manna
I was brought up in the Catholic Church and I don’t recall anything about that. But they’ve been known to edit the bible over the years so not really surprising.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Here is a bit more: When God miraculously provided for the children of Israel in the wilderness, He sent them manna and this is what the psalmist called “the bread of heaven” (Psalm 78:24). The Israelites grumbled about starving to death that it had been better if they had “died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death” (Ex 16:3). The Lord then informed Moses that He would “rain down bread from heaven for you” so that they wouldn’t go hungry (Ex 16:4). That evening there were “thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor. When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was” (Ex 16:14-15) and the word they used for “what is it” is really “manna” so manna means “what is it?” The Hebrew word “man” means “what is it” and that is what manna is. Manna was the answer to what it was that they needed.

Reactions: Kaydee and happinessnjoi
  • Likex2

Sewer

Master Grubber
Platform
PC
I always thought that mana was just some random word that the very first RPG game developers invented, but as it turns out that word had origins in the Rapa Nui religion of Polynesian culture. Just a little something interesting I recently learned and thought to pass along. https://imaginaisladepascua.com/en/easter-island-rapa-nui/rapa-nui-culture/rapa-nui-religion-and-beliefs/
hey thanks for sharing that link--I too am familiar with the biblical manna from heaven foodstuff and had often wondered how it could have inspired 'magical energy' found in most rpg's. I prefer the Rapa Nui origin now. Thanks again!

Reactions: happinessnjoi
  • Likex1

Red Wizard

Arch Wizard
Characters
Red Wizard, Anyone
Platform
PC
Here is a bit more: When God miraculously provided for the children of Israel in the wilderness, He sent them manna and this is what the psalmist called “the bread of heaven” (Psalm 78:24). The Israelites grumbled about starving to death that it had been better if they had “died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death” (Ex 16:3). The Lord then informed Moses that He would “rain down bread from heaven for you” so that they wouldn’t go hungry (Ex 16:4). That evening there were “thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor. When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was” (Ex 16:14-15) and the word they used for “what is it” is really “manna” so manna means “what is it?” The Hebrew word “man” means “what is it” and that is what manna is. Manna was the answer to what it was that they needed.
Manna was miraculously produced food of the Israelites in the desert during the Exodus. According to the biblical story, the term originated from the mysterious nature of the food, as the Israelites asked "man hu"—translated as "what is it?" or "Is this manna?"

Red Wizard

Arch Wizard
Characters
Red Wizard, Anyone
Platform
PC
Mann-o-Salwa is a type of food that was gifted to Bani Israel (people of Prophet Musa A.S). When Prophet Musa (AS) was living with six hundred thousand people of Bani Israel in the field of Teeh at that time Prophet Musa (AS) asked Allah Almighty for the meal to fulfill the hunger of people who were with Him. Allah Almighty descended the two heavenly feasts for them from the sky on request of Prophet Musa (AS). One was “Mann” and the other was “Salwa”. Allah Almighty mentioned in Holy Quran: “O Children of Israel, We delivered you from your enemy, and We made an appointment with you at the right side of the mount, and We sent down to you manna and quails.” (Quran, 20:80)

Man meaning a type of sweet Man was like dew drops that can be found on trees, plants, and rocks. After that, it is used into sweet honey which they picked up and savor them with. Man used to descend on the as snow descends it is sweeter than honey and whiter than snow.

Salwa was a kind of Bird, a quail, People used to catch it and turn it into the roasted meat. It was such a blessing to eat the roasted meat of Quail which was indeed a blessing for Bani Israel after Prophet Musa (AS) prayed to Allah Almighty.

Manna takes place in the Holy scripture (The Bible and Torah). Christians call the halva as ‘tomana’ while Qur’an calls it as ‘manna’.
The following is stated in a verse in the chapter of Numbers in the Torah.
“And the manna was as coriander seed, and the color thereof as the color of bdellium. And the people went about, and gathered it, and ground it in mills, or beat it in a mortar, and baked it in pans, and made cakes of it: and the taste of it was as the taste of fresh oil. And when the dew fell upon the camp in the night, the manna fell upon it.”(Numbers 11:7, 8, 9)