Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
US3 - Your behavior was unbelievable last night! Why? Why was it so necessary to carry on such ugly conflicts and drama? I'm about to read all of the chat logs, because that's absolutely how I want to spend my Saturday morning, and then I am going to ban. I'm not going to write a long post right now, because I'm too angry.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
that’s what I thinking or get on us3 early mornings when there’s very little chat. Sigh. I wish it wasn’t this way.
Maybe just use /block name for all who are making the game unhappy for you while we work behind the scenes to make things better?

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
Last edited
Maybe just use /block name for all who are making the game unhappy for you while we work behind the scenes to make things better?
Unfortunately a few are players that I run elders with or are constantly chatting on world I don’t like seeing half convos. Sometimes the chat is informative so I like to see all’s responses. I’m not to game savvy so learning any little bit helps. 😁 Iv been turning chat off completely lately but the environment to me is still very toxic... anytime I read it I’m usually disappointed...

I know I’m not perfect and Iv had my moments in game. Where I wasn’t very nice so to speak. I think we all have. But I think maybe in my opinion that the toxic behavior just went on for too long unfortunately. it’s no ones fault really. You want people to enjoy themselves, get to know others have fun. And I do agree with lams post about maybe having a mod around a bit more having their presence known. When I started there was a mod on a lot. Just chatting With players and yada yada. But then again if I was a mod and every time I got on I was attacked or belittled I probably wouldn’t want to get on at all only when I was needed. I’m hoping this toxic behavior can get turned around and back to the way it was when I first started.

Reactions: Lamorack
  • Likex1

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
The atmosphere has been fairly tense on US3 as of late. There are some who feel that it has come to the Mods vs the general community, and this could not be further from the truth. The goal has always been to maintain the friendly environment that V&H is known for. To foster cooperation, generosity, and welcome new players into the community.

Unfortunately, there is a price-tag for this goal. Rules could be considered strict here in comparison to the loose regulations of other games. Moderator presence is heavier in times of turmoil. Punishments are actually dished out rather than just acknowledged and ignored by management. This is the cost, and I am willing to pay it. Some have deemed it as censorship. Call it what you will, but which version would you rather have? I for one prefer public channels that I actually feel comfortable participating in, where I do not have to worry about seeing derogatory terms or profanity slinging left and right in a constant stream. I enjoy reading the conversations of others, and note those who pitch in and assist players in need by answering questions or slaying Elders. I love hearing from my friends that they feel it is safe to bring their children into this game because they know we consider 'family-friendly' a priority.

This would not be possible without the existing guidelines which prohibit much of what runs rampant in other games and the Moderators who volunteer their time towards ensuring chat remains within the bounds of the Terms of Service. All we request is that players keep public chat clean, move arguments to a private venue (or better yet, cease arguing entirely), and use the correct channels when questioning the decisions of authority figures.

Like all trouble, this too shall pass, given time. But, it is possible to better the situation through community intervention. For those tired of seeing the drama and strife, I would highly recommend either blocking problem players or pursuing an alternative solution. Join in the chat and change the topic. Be the community you want US3 to be. This is the most effective tactic in my opinion and everyone can play a part. If you notice chat is getting out of hand, bring up and discuss something else for example.

US3 is a wonderful server full of amazing people. Let's focus on building each other up and promoting the type of atmosphere that draws new players in and keeps them around long-term.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Be the community you want US3 to be.
This...exactly!
US3 is a wonderful server full of amazing people. Let's focus on building each other up and promoting the type of atmosphere that draws new players in and keeps them around long-term.
I saw this, the people who were in the game, having fun, being helpful. You all are really great assets to US3.

Reactions: Allison Wonderland
  • Likex1

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
I did some banning just now. If you are one of the players last night who created unnecessary ugly drama and conflict, and disrupted the enjoyment of the game for others, then proceeded to carry on the arguments everywhere else and were combative with the mods, then I banned you just now.

Don't blame the mods. Blame me.

This nonsense is stopping. And it's stopping now.

Allison Wonderland

Priestess
Royal Guardian
Platform
PC
I don't know what the population is on any of the other server or know how active but I do know US3 is highly active with new players daily. I am sure there are more than 15 new players per day. Some of the new players enter Summer Hollow are just looking for the PVP areas and sticking around long enough to reek havoc. I do hope we can consider the ratio of new players to veteran players on the server. I would expect stellar behavior on servers well established population to have fewer problems with rudeness. The population of US3 is clearly visible by the number of villages that are at or near max.

We do have a good core base of wonderful players who thankfully have chosen to help players who are interested in playing a friendly game. They have blocked the "veteran drama queens/kings" and have learned the best way to deal with new drama is to /block <name> and walk away.

I am not sure what would be a solution. I wonder if there is a way to switch default servers based on the population of active players on the server. It may not make a difference but it might be worth at try.

Allison Wonderland

Priestess
Royal Guardian
Platform
PC
Last edited
I counted. There are less than 400 lots available on US3.
US1 has about 2000 open lots
US2 has about 2000 open lots
USEU EN has about 2000 open lots
EU-DE has about 2000 open lots
Kudos to you Sarah. I wish there was a way we could help you get through that list. You can't want them out of the game more than me. I do hate it is messing up your weekend. Since you can't get out because of how you have chosen to keep our sweet game healthy I will at least wish for bad weather in Eugene so at least you would not be able to go out and play.

Reactions: CaraLox
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Honestly I’m tired of it from all party’s involved. And I’m ready to leave US3 completely. I’m tired of the attacking, the belittling the constant drama. So which server has the least amount of world chat? I’m more then willing at this point to change servers And start over completely to get a break from the constant noise and bickering. And that’s a serious question...I normally play to clear my mind so having very little chat will be helpful.
@Halleebell
Hi. Sorry you feel this way. It's hardly the impression we strive to convey to a newer player. I've never made any attempt to recruit a player to another server but my advice to you would be along the same lines as what IrishElf posted. V&H allows players to create characters on any server and I'm sure that both US1 & 2 would be more than happy to have you visit them to see if the community there is a better fit for the gaming experience you are looking for.

Based on your comments, I think you would fit well on either, but I believe US1 has a smaller daily player ratio and the average player age is a little older. I have characters on every server so feel free to look me up wherever you go. My most advanced characters are on US1 so if you happen to come that way, I would be happy to do what I can to help you get kickstarted.

As for US3, I have hope that the current drama is a temporary thing that will settle in time. The majority of the US3 player base is as friendly as you will find elsewhere, but it only takes a few to spoil the enjoyment of others. Just leave your US3 character/s as they are and they will be there should you desire to return to them.

Welcome to V&H. I have been here for over 6 years and it has become one of my top "go-to" games. I hope that you also will come to find what you are looking for.

Reactions: Red Wizard
  • Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
@Halleebell
Hi. Sorry you feel this way. It's hardly the impression we strive to convey to a newer player. I've never made any attempt to recruit a player to another server but my advice to you would be along the same lines as what IrishElf posted. V&H allows players to create characters on any server and I'm sure that both US1 & 2 would be more than happy to have you visit them to see if the community there is a better fit for the gaming experience you are looking for.

Based on your comments, I think you would fit well on either, but I believe US1 has a smaller daily player ratio and the average player age is a little older. I have characters on every server so feel free to look me up wherever you go. My most advanced characters are on US1 so if you happen to come that way, I would be happy to do what I can to help you get kickstarted.

As for US3, I have hope that the current drama is a temporary thing that will settle in time. The majority of the US3 player base is as friendly as you will find elsewhere, but it only takes a few to spoil the enjoyment of others. Just leave your US3 character/s as they are and they will be there should you desire to return to them.

Welcome to V&H. I have been here for over 6 years and it has become one of my top "go-to" games. I hope that you also will come to find what you are looking for.
Thank you.... Iv been around awhile nymph I’m sorry I gave you the impression I’m a new player ☺ My tank is 95 haha.. I’ve just watch it dramatically deteriorate for some time now and I’d have to block a pretty long list of people.. To make it non toxic. This is why I’m thinking of just switching servers. Starting fresh and removing the negative energy that is us3 right now. Again I hope this can get turned around I started on us3 and it’s where I’d like to stay but right now it’s either take an extended break from the game or hop over to a new server for awhile. 😐

dustbunny

Squirrel
Platform
iOS, PC
Last night, a moderator felt the need to communicate with a player via a whisper. They did so in the manner described in the OP of this thread.
When that action failed to produce the desired result and further disruption occurred, they applied a mute in the manner described in the OP.
Following that action, members of the community came into world chat to protest the action and demand an accounting from the moderator. They did exactly what the OP asked them quite clearly NOT to do. I watched in dismay as several other players joined the criticism in support of those that brought this disruption into world chat. The moderator did exactly what they were supposed to do, as described in the OP. The community ganged upon them in an exact manner the OP warned them against doing. As a result, the world chat was dominated by this disruption for a prolonged period of time, ruining any enjoyment of the game for all that were online at the time. It's as if this thread was never posted. Perhaps it would be more accurate for me to say that it's as if players read it word for word to make sure they disrupted the game in the most effective manner possible. I do not care what caused the angst. To respond to it in the manner I witnessed is intolerable. I expected more from one of the online gamings "best communities ever" and am disappointed in any and all involved.
This! I loved my time as a moderator for this game. Sure there were ups and downs, but during a time in my life when I was dealing with an ailing mother, I would come into game to enjoy the community and get a break from RL. But all too often, if I had to put on my mod hat and deal with someone being disruptive, I was the bad person. Those who called me friend the day before, got mad and upset with me as a mod because I did not allow them to do as they wished when it broke the TOS. Moderators hate when they have to MOD the community because it causes rifts with people in game they have called friend. But they do it, put up with it, and possibly ruin friendships just to keep chat safe for all. They are players too. They are not here to ruin your day but to keep someone else from ruining it.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Last edited
This! I loved my time as a moderator for this game. Sure there were ups and downs, but during a time in my life when I was dealing with an ailing mother, I would come into game to enjoy the community and get a break from RL. But all too often, if I had to put on my mod hat and deal with someone being disruptive, I was the bad person. Those who called me friend the day before, got mad and upset with me as a mod because I did not allow them to do as they wished when it broke the TOS. Moderators hate when they have to MOD the community because it causes rifts with people in game they have called friend. But they do it, put up with it, and possibly ruin friendships just to keep chat safe for all. They are players too. They are not here to ruin your day but to keep someone else from ruining it.
This is spot on.

We are player/ moderators which means we play the game too. When moderation is needed, either on our assigned server or any other we are needed, we go there and do what we agreed to do; Restore a peaceful and enjoyable game! It disrupts our gameplay but we knew this going in and we take our responsibility seriously. That's what we do, so others who play can play in peace and not be embroiled in someone else's drama! I personally have had to mute people who were friends, it's not wonderful but we do it. You all don't know what we are doing behind the scenes because that would also disrupt the game, but we are there to make the game flow smoothly. We are not able to be around 100% of the time but we do try, so we do ask that when you see something you believe is breaking TOS to screenshot and report it to CS. Sometimes it takes a few reports to see patterns but just because you don't see immediate action don't believe for a minute that it is going unnoticed.

We really hate to have to moderate anyone! And just to put this out there, we do not hold a grudge or have hatred for people we have moderated. But we agreed to keep the game a fun and enjoyable place for everyone, so we do. When anyone decides to go against TOS or policy, we have to act and sometimes act quickly. We try to keep any moderation private but at times people who were moderated take their anger public, and it is usually to gain support of others. Sometimes they are untruthful about the events, but we keep copies of chat and the devs can see all logs of the game to check on what happened. So that's why we always tell players if you feel you were wronged, do open a ticket with Customer Support. They will and do check. We all make mistakes, we are after all only human!

We have no reason to lie about events because we all know there are computer logs since day one. Those computer logs are accessible by the devs, they can see all chat, all whispers, everything. And we try to grab chat logs ourselves of all chat with moderated people; whispers, mail, world and all chats. These files are there for them in case they need to check or verify reports, however they are not available to the public.

Just a FYI from here https://villagersandheroes.com/tos/:
"§ 14 CONDUCT OBLIGATIONS AND DUTIES OF USERS
14.2 Users are aware that they are playing the Game together with numerous other Users, and/or that they are communicating with various Users over the additional services. In order to facilitate vigorous interaction, observance of the rules is necessary. Users acknowledge the Game rules and the participation requirements of the Game as binding. Users shall comply with the instructions of Mad Otter or one of its designate representatives. In all other respects, Users shall refrain from any action that disturbs the Game and the additional services and the vigorous interaction. The User is particularly obligated to not bring in and/or transmit into the Game any content that is against the law or public policy. This particularly includes content that spurs racial hatred, is likely to endanger the moral welfare of children or teenagers or impairs them in their well-being, or could damage the reputation of Mad Otter. "

Users shall comply with the instructions of Mad Otter or one of its designate representatives. In all other respects, Users shall refrain from any action that disturbs the Game and the additional services and the vigorous interaction.
This portion specifically means; when a moderator asks you to do something or stop doing something, please comply.
You can and may refer to Customer Support for an explanation of why you were asked to do something, but you may not argue in public.
Because arguing in public causes a disruption of the game and a disturbance within the game for others.

So please know... we want everyone to enjoy their time in V&H and want it to be a fun way to pass the time. But the events of the recent past will not be tolerated. Please use /block when others irritate you, it really is a great tool! Please do not join in the fray when one or more start an argument in chat.
As you can see, the open hostilities are hurting others... that is sad!

Reactions: Littlenymph and Zazie
  • Likex2
Characters
Tiffa, Ruby Wolf
Platform
Android, PC
Suggestion for Redoing the TOS:
Because most players do not read the full Terms of Service page, I suggest having it broken down into several sections where all players must read and accept each section of the TOS. This way no player can feign ignorance.
Also having to reaccepting sections the TOS at random times when logging in.
Yes, this may turn off some players, but no one can say they did not know about specific Rules.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Suggestion for Redoing the TOS:
Because most players do not read the full Terms of Service page, I suggest having it broken down into several sections where all players must read and accept each section of the TOS. This way no player can feign ignorance.
Also having to reaccepting sections the TOS at random times when logging in.
Yes, this may turn off some players, but no one can say they did not know about specific Rules.
The ToS is really not much more than basic courtesy. No cursing, no scamming, just do legal stuff and be nice and you're good.
You dont even need to have read it, just use common sense and you got it all covered

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
We all accept TOS all the time and most go unread. But clicking to accept means you are bound by the terms no less. They are there for all to read by simply clicking on "terms and policy"

Reactions: Joleen, Zazie and Rohana
  • Likex3

Annaliese

Huntress
Platform
iOS, PC
What players also have to understand that we moderators also play the game. If you read this snippet here "These hard working individuals can be found on every server, and act to assist players with any help they might need. Game Moderators act as liaisons between players and management, and help to ensure that the rules and policies outlined in our Terms of Service are upheld within the game." As much as some people like to think we enjoy having to moderate anyone I can tell you right there we don't. We try to keep the peace at all times. Does this make me a bad person? No. Do we make mistakes? Yes. But calling us liars and saying that we are picking favorites is far from the truth. Do remember that devs that can pull up chat logs and in situations like this one it is well needed. So understand we are not trying to ruin anyone's day we are simply trying to keep the peace. It a shame that the level of hostility has reached new heights to the point where you are hurting your fellow players. So when someone is starting trouble please do not join in it only makes things worse. I will say that this back and forth between players vs mods in public channels has to end. Just remember that you can /block players that disrupting your game-play. It makes your life much easier. US3 is an awesome server and I love seeing when we all help each other out. I know we can get back to being the awesome community we are. So please help us by helping you.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Last edited
Thank you.... Iv been around awhile nymph I’m sorry I gave you the impression I’m a new player ☺ My tank is 95 haha.. I’ve just watch it dramatically deteriorate for some time now and I’d have to block a pretty long list of people.. To make it non toxic. This is why I’m thinking of just switching servers. Starting fresh and removing the negative energy that is us3 right now. Again I hope this can get turned around I started on us3 and it’s where I’d like to stay but right now it’s either take an extended break from the game or hop over to a new server for awhile. 😐
Doh! :oops:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Far from the first time Layla has been confused about something
. :p ;)

Reactions: Halleebell
  • Likex1