Kookaburra

Bog Frog
Characters
Kookaburra, Kooky
Platform
PC
Last edited
Fortunately I have never run into this, but I do have a question. How do I "find a mod"? I know a couple - Iri and Rishi - on US1 but I know there are more. Would I just call out in world chat?

ps. thank you to all the mods. I know it is often a tough and thankless job but you make the game better for the vast majority of players who just want to relax and hang around with their friends.

Reactions: Greer
  • Likex1

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
How do I "find a mod." I know a couple - Iri and Rishi - on US1 but I know there are more. Would I just call out in world chaps.
The easiest way of finding a mod is by asking for one on Discord. If they happen to be logged into Discord and have their notifications enabled, they'll be pinged, even if they're logged in on a different server. Don't give any details or incriminating info in public, of course, but you can then privately share any screenshots you have through Discord after you receive a reply.

And yes, simply ask in world chat for a MOD to whisper you and then privately explain the situation. It's mostly a last resort, but when it becomes unclear who the real trolls are and/or certain players refuse to block, instead fanning the flames, there are times when you really need a MOD's help! Cause the best thing you can do is to screenshot, block and ignore the troll. However, on occasion, not everyone will buy into the concept of blocking the troll (which causes them to be quiet, since they're not receiving any attention, and attention is most often what they're looking for), if there's no mod present. And those are the times when a more level-headed player can help improve the situation by quietly finding a mod, who actually has the power to mute people, before things really get out of hand!

At times, over the years, I've seen such awful trolling that it has caused players to log out of the game, simply because they couldn't stand it anymore -- When there was no mod around to help improve the situation, and most players felt helpless. (Of course, these players loudly announcing that they couldn't take it anymore and then logging out would have helped to feed the troll, too!) But as an average player, your only options are to block and ignore, try to encourage everyone else to do the same, and if all else fails, try to find help. :)

ps. thank you to all the mods. I know it is often a tough and thankless job but you make the game better for the vast majority of players who just want to relax and hang around with their friends.
I wholeheartedly agree!!

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
The easiest way of finding a mod is by asking for one on Discord. If they happen to be logged into Discord and have their notifications enabled, they'll be pinged, even if they're logged in on a different server. Don't give any details or incriminating info in public, of course, but you can then privately share any screenshots you have through Discord after you receive a reply.

And yes, simply ask in world chat for a MOD to whisper you and then privately explain the situation. It's mostly a last resort, but when it becomes unclear who the real trolls are and/or certain players refuse to block, instead fanning the flames, there are times when you really need a MOD's help! Cause the best thing you can do is to screenshot, block and ignore the troll. However, on occasion, not everyone will buy into the concept of blocking the troll (which causes them to be quiet, since they're not receiving any attention, and attention is most often what they're looking for), if there's no mod present. And those are the times when a more level-headed player can help improve the situation by quietly finding a mod, who actually has the power to mute people, before things really get out of hand!

At times, over the years, I've seen such awful trolling that it has caused players to log out of the game, simply because they couldn't stand it anymore -- When there was no mod around to help improve the situation, and most players felt helpless. (Of course, these players loudly announcing that they couldn't take it anymore and then logging out would have helped to feed the troll, too!) But as an average player, your only options are to block and ignore, try to encourage everyone else to do the same, and if all else fails, try to find help. :)

I wholeheartedly agree!!

Okay, no. You do understand that mods have lives, right? These are volunteers who have jobs, and families, and kids, and lives. So in the off hours, it's up to you all to use common sense. You know how to report, do it. Don't blame mods for not being around at 3am in the morning. Come on, people. Just sayin.' 😉

Red Wizard

Arch Wizard
Characters
Red Wizard, Anyone
Platform
PC
May I suggest locking this thread and policy guideline has been spelled out and we have had enough discussion on it.

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
It’s important to welcome new players and engage them early and often. For a given number of new players, a number will be there just to be disruptive. They don’t get what they need from V&H and eventually move on, usually after the first mute.

That said, having to deal with “is there a way to have sex in this game” and “how do I make my character raping another character“, trolls creating new characters with names directing other players to kill themselves, trolls creating new characters with names describing explicit sex acts... these are all examples of the type of behavior all from a single day last week, but it feels like we’re dealing with something like this every 🙌 single 🙌 day 🙌.

In my experience, the problem of ‘why US3’ is because it’s been the default server for far too long. New player intake has always had a number of individual who are there just to disrupt and try to trigger people... but do we have to be the only server that has to live with this problem for months on end? Changing the default wouldn’t make the problem evaporate, but at least it wouldn’t be concentrated to just the server I play most. *wink*

Cardqueen

Arch Wizard
Royal Guardian
Platform
iOS, PC
Hello everyone!
People come to this game from other games which are not actively modded. I can't tell you how often I have made the announcement to keep world chat clean and heard that that's what profanity filters are for. Well, mods are to catch what no profanity filter can as we ae real live people playing the game.
It is only through player cooperation with mods that we can convince people it is fun to play in a less stressful and hostile environment where people actually help each other and don't put others down. Once upon a time, I remember some of the remarks made by long term players who first came here with that attitude. (names will not be named lol) who are now wondering what they were thinking when they first started! Please cooperate with the mods and try to influence new people in a positive way and try to remember what it was like coming to this weirdly wonderful mystical land of villagers and heroes!
Cardqueen

Leyaa

Citizen
Characters
Leyaa
Platform
PC
This comes as a surprise to me. I began playing the game a few weeks ago and so far the community (on EU1) has been nothing but a delight. The people are very friendly and even the forums are a nice place to hang out (that is rarely the case in my experience).
It is sad to see this development and I hope the situation on US3 will improve. As people are present on other servers as well, I hope we all can prevent that this behavior spreads to other servers.
I have seen this behavior in other games and never has the community team (or the devs) taken any action. In this regard, I wanted to thank the Mad Otter Games Team for their efforts! (y) This is not an easy task and requires a lot of monitoring, patience and strong nerves. I wish the team and our community the best of luck, so that we can overcome these unpleasantries and enjoy once again a peaceful environment on every server.

Lamorack

Great Adventurer
Platform
iOS
It’s interesting to me that the preponderance of commentators on a US3 pattern seem to be from US 1 on casual review.

There is no doubt that the seemingly permanent status as default server plays a role, as, no doubt, does the increased exposure that the game seems to be achieving. I have no issue with being the main default, but there needs to be a break to allow things to settle.

We have also seen a significant decrease in mod involvement. Mods who were frequent and known have become occasionally or a surprise to see in recent months. In my mind there is a direct relationship between this and the current, real, souring.

Finally, we have had serial irritants returning. Some palpably change the feel. I think it is only fair to say that this has discouraged many from standing up when no mod is around or from screenshooting.

In my view we need new blood. I’m grateful for what the mods do. I have noticed a few from other servers ( thank you) and a couple I have barely seen recently. I do think one or two (if we are to continue as the default) more are called for, however, and I welcome the more rigorous attitude presaged by your announcement.
I hope we will see an early impact and return to the server being a afun place to play in part because it is so cooperative and a pleasure to be in once again. Sadly, that now requires action not just good intent in my view.

Platform
PC
It’s interesting to me that the preponderance of commentators on a US3 pattern seem to be from US 1 on casual review.

There is no doubt that the seemingly permanent status as default server plays a role, as, no doubt, does the increased exposure that the game seems to be achieving. I have no issue with being the main default, but there needs to be a break to allow things to settle.

We have also seen a significant decrease in mod involvement. Mods who were frequent and known have become occasionally or a surprise to see in recent months. In my mind there is a direct relationship between this and the current, real, souring.

Finally, we have had serial irritants returning. Some palpably change the feel. I think it is only fair to say that this has discouraged many from standing up when no mod is around or from screenshooting.

In my view we need new blood. I’m grateful for what the mods do. I have noticed a few from other servers ( thank you) and a couple I have barely seen recently. I do think one or two (if we are to continue as the default) more are called for, however, and I welcome the more rigorous attitude presaged by your announcement.
I hope we will see an early impact and return to the server being a afun place to play in part because it is so cooperative and a pleasure to be in once again. Sadly, that now requires action not just good intent in my view.
US2 was the 'default' for a long time. And while yes - we did get a few trolls here and there - it was never enough to 'disrupt' the server. Most of the 'regular players' would not interact with said trolls and the mods could do their job and everything was taken care of quickly and efficiently. Note - there ARE exceptions - there were some weeks that were worse than others...and some regular players have bad days and decide to troll the trolls...but in general, the trolls were few and far between....and we got a LOT of new and great people to play with - which made the game even MORE fun!

As for the 'current' situation with US3, I have checked in a few times since this post was put up...and it appears that the impact has already been made. The last'trip' I made to US3 was for a 'mod call'. Logged in and the world was a wreck - players attacking players, names being called, profanity thrown about. I gave one public warning to all and then started muting people in the order that TOS was broken. Once things had calmed down, the pot got stirred AGAIN by people attacking ME because I took action. The past few days - I have not seen ANY of the above referenced actions. Things on US3 seem quite friendly and helpful again.

All that to say that I disagree with the assessment that more mods are needed....I think that things HAVE calmed down and that with continued monitoring of the rules that are in place, things will continue to go as they should. :)

Panthera

Grand Priestess
Platform
Android, PC, Steam

The Default server is not always US3 it is changed periodically, perhaps it is time for it to switch (only the otters Know for sure what determines the switch) US3 already has more mods than any of the other servers if you look at the game mod list here or on discord, things will settle down (and I also play on us3 as well as US1)

Reactions: Littlenymph
  • Likex1

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
snip
We, Mad Otter, trust our game moderators to use their own common sense in applying these recommendations. If you genuinely feel that you have been treated unfairly by moderators, please submit a CS ticket with screenshots showing why you feel you were treated unfairly. Arguing with moderators in public chat is never appropriate

V&H has always been a family friendly game, and these new policies are meant to serve as a reminder of that.

Thank you everyone for your understanding and cooperation.
(My emphasis)
For all those who felt it necessary to disrupt US3 for some time last night by continuously arguing with moderators and accusing moderators of favouritism etc, I would just like to draw their attention to this last part of the policies outlined above.

There is a procedure to voice your concerns if you truly feel you have been unfairly treated by moderators. Disrupting other players's enjoyment by bickering in world chat (or on discord) is not it.

And just for the record I was not involved at all last night (at the relevant time I was fast asleep in bed).

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
I like entertainments. I like to read books. I like to watch movies. Most of all, I like on-line games. The reason I like them is that they provide me with a little escapism from the stress and drama that often accompanies reality. The reason I like on-line games more than other forms of entertainment is that they provide an interactive element that others can not. It is that interactive element, the ability to share the entertainment with others in a real-time environment which makes it special. Sadly, it is that same interactive element that can turn the best of games into a nightmare. Last night was one of those nightmares.

Like any MMO, V&H is there to entertain you. It's supposed to be fun. When you drag your real-world drama and angst into this fantasy environment you ruin that fun; not just for yourself, but for anyone and everyone that is on-line to witness it. It is perhaps the most self-centered, selfish act that a player can inflict upon the community. I'm sure you have reasons that sound perfectly acceptable within your own mind, but the fact remains that you have no right to inflict the entire community with your angst by putting it on public display. It is disruptive for the server and disrespectful of the community.

Last night, a moderator felt the need to communicate with a player via a whisper. They did so in the manner described in the OP of this thread.
When that action failed to produce the desired result and further disruption occurred, they applied a mute in the manner described in the OP.
Following that action, members of the community came into world chat to protest the action and demand an accounting from the moderator. They did exactly what the OP asked them quite clearly NOT to do. I watched in dismay as several other players joined the criticism in support of those that brought this disruption into world chat. The moderator did exactly what they were supposed to do, as described in the OP. The community ganged upon them in an exact manner the OP warned them against doing. As a result, the world chat was dominated by this disruption for a prolonged period of time, ruining any enjoyment of the game for all that were online at the time. It's as if this thread was never posted. Perhaps it would be more accurate for me to say that it's as if players read it word for word to make sure they disrupted the game in the most effective manner possible. I do not care what caused the angst. To respond to it in the manner I witnessed is intolerable. I expected more from one of the online gamings "best communities ever" and am disappointed in any and all involved.

Be angry with me if you wish. Disagree if you are so inclined. You are more than free to do these things. What you are not so free to do is repeat the travesty I witnessed last night. I would strongly advise you to not repeat it. It will not be tolerated. Don't resist doing it because I'm telling you to. Do it because you owe that level of respect to your fellow players that simply want a little escapism from their own reality. They did not log on to have your realities inflicted upon them. They do not deserve it, and you do not have the right to force it upon them. Last but not least, do it for the moderator that was doing nothing more than exercising their best judgment in an effort to maintain a friendly and enjoyable environment that all can enjoy. Remember that they are volunteers, and beyond that, they are players, just like you. Are they perfect? No; just like you. Do they make mistakes? Sometimes; just like you. When that happens, give them the benefit of doubt, and if you can not do that, use the method outlined in the OP to express your concerns with the producers:

"If you genuinely feel that you have been treated unfairly by moderators, please submit a CS ticket with screenshots showing why you feel you were treated unfairly.
Arguing with moderators in public chat is never appropriate."

Let us treat last night as a learning experience in what not to do. It is a new day. Let us all work together to make it a better one. Despite recent events, I'm still of the opinion that this is one of the best online communities available. I have faith that in the end, you will demonstrate the accuracy of that statement. Yeah, I'm mad at you guys, but I still love ya. How about returning the favor and showing a little love for your fellow players. And for God's sake, if you still want to pop a gasket, can you at least find somewhere other than a public chat channel [or forum] to do it?

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
Honestly I’m tired of it from all party’s involved. And I’m ready to leave US3 completely. I’m tired of the attacking, the belittling the constant drama. So which server has the least amount of world chat? I’m more then willing at this point to change servers And start over completely to get a break from the constant noise and bickering. And that’s a serious question...I normally play to clear my mind so having very little chat will be helpful.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I hear you, maybe take a small break and go visit US1 or US2 and play for a bit. Your characters will be there when you return.

Reactions: Halleebell
  • Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
I hear you, maybe take a small break and go visit US1 or US2 and play for a bit. Your characters will be there when you return.
that’s what I thinking or get on us3 early mornings when there’s very little chat. Sigh. I wish it wasn’t this way.