Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
Hello, Everyone,

In the past few months, and especially in the past few weeks, it seems that the climate on US3 has changed considerably -- more strife, more attacking of others, more inappropriate chat, increasing complaints about a “toxic environment,” and, in general, an overall sense that many players no longer feel comfortable with what takes place in world chat.

So we’d like to see if we can’t change that. All players should always feel comfortable and unthreatened in our game, and at the very least, should be able to enjoy themselves without being routinely assaulted by unending conflicts or ugly chatter.

So we’re going to tighten things up on US3. What does that mean? It means some stricter policies will now be going into effect.

The basic rule of thumb is this: if a player is disrupting the enjoyment of the game for others in world chat, they will receive one whispered warning and then will be muted if they persist.

(In other words, please take your conflicts and inappropriate conversations to private channels.)

‘Disruption’ can mean any of the following
  • Carrying on an argument with another player
  • The use of derogatory remarks
  • Name calling of any kind
  • Inappropriate comments of a sexual, violent, or vulgar nature
  • Deliberately provoking world chat to get into heated arguments
  • Spamming chat in an effort to get blocked players to unblock you
  • Guessing games, numbers games, etc, must be done in Local Chats if there are large numbers of participants because it is disruptive to all others who do not wish to partake in them.
  • Other

When a Moderator whispers a player with a warning:
  • Player will be told exactly why they are being disruptive, and told that it will be their only warning -- that a mute will immediately follow if the disruptive behavior persists.
  • If the player then proceeds to publicly argue with the moderator about the warning they were given, thereby disrupting world chat, they will be muted.
  • If other players then proceed to disrupt world chat as a result of that player’s mute, they will in turn, be warned themselves and muted if it continues.
*If a player has been muted, and then goes to another server, they will promptly be muted wherever they go.

We, Mad Otter, trust our game moderators to use their own common sense in applying these recommendations. If you genuinely feel that you have been treated unfairly by moderators, please submit a CS ticket with screenshots showing why you feel you were treated unfairly. Arguing with moderators in public chat is never appropriate

V&H has always been a family friendly game, and these new policies are meant to serve as a reminder of that.

Thank you everyone for your understanding and cooperation.

Rock

Lumineer
Characters
Rockbane, Rockshot, Doc Rock, Rocklord, Rockette, Axelrock, Aquarock
Platform
Android, PC
Can a mute work across servers? I know in the past some offenders have brought their drama to other servers after being cracked down on their own.

Sultan

Hero
Characters
Faisalkhan, Sultan, 3 More!
Platform
Android
Thank you For Adding These Features! 😘

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I'm hoping there is going to be increased mod activity on US3 as well? I hope these "new" policies remain in effect, frankly.
I'm confident that the new policies will remain in effect and will be enforced.

My thoughts are this: Perhaps we all need a refresher of how to handle a situation where there appears to be no MOD around? It doesn't happen often (generally speaking, taking screenshots, blocking and submitting a CS ticket suffices), but when there is a situation "beyond the pale" on my server, I have been known to ask for a MOD on Discord. If I don't have luck with that and the situation continues (or escalates), I know that I can always server hop in search of a MOD if the situation is too awful to bear.
Please add additional mods. We don't have access very late at night and often times during the day.
Those are the times when I'll either post on Discord, asking for a MOD or go server hopping -- Especially during those situations where players are not properly using the block feature, which causes the trolls NOT to receive the attention they're seeking! (It can also be helpful to be aware of who the "night owl" MODS are and which server they're on. Also, EU MODs are about 5-7 hours ahead of US MODS, so sometimes late at night, if you can't find a MOD, there might be one already awake on EU1. And US1 has a couple of MODs who are often around during the daytime. )

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I'm confident that the new policies will remain in effect and will be enforced.

My thoughts are this: Perhaps we all need a refresher of how to handle a situation where there appears to be no MOD around? It doesn't happen often (generally speaking, taking screenshots, blocking and submitting a CS ticket suffices), but when there is a situation "beyond the pale" on my server, I have been known to ask for a MOD on Discord. If I don't have luck with that and the situation continues (or escalates), I know that I can always server hop in search of a MOD if the situation is too awful to bear.

Those are the times when I'll either post on Discord, asking for a MOD or go server hopping -- Especially during those situations where players are not properly using the block feature, which causes the trolls NOT to receive the attention they're seeking! (It can also be helpful to be aware of who the "night owl" MODS are and which server they're on. Also, EU MODs are about 5-7 hours ahead of US MODS, so sometimes late at night, if you can't find a MOD, there might be one already awake on EU1. And US1 has a couple of MODs who are often around during the daytime. )
Or, you know, just screenshot and block, and let us sleep

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
My thoughts are this: Perhaps we all need a refresher of how to handle a situation where there appears to be no MOD around?
You can utilize screenshots on tickets or capture offending chat and add it to a ticket with Customer Support if a mod isn't present.
Then block the person so you won't have to see their chat.
Actually the above quote of my post has always been in effect, it is just that these days with instant gratification no one has any patience. Please remember, MODS are volunteers doing this for the love of the game and to help the community. I am not sure how I feel about being "hunted down" across the game because some won't just block and report bad actors.

dustbunny

Squirrel
Platform
iOS, PC
LOL you all know, there will always be those handful of players who feel it is their duty to feed the trolls, engage in banter because they like a good argument and have no self control to stop themselves. As people have said, I don't want to block, then I can't see what they are saying. Or, in other words, I want to see the drama, complain about it, feed the drama, then complain no mod is around to deal with it after stirring the pot even more.;):ROFLMAO: Sometimes, well most of the time, it is the players and not the trolls who cause the most problems. :devilish:

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
That was also suggested a while back, but the community really does like to help new players with issues.

Reactions: shoel8ces
  • Likex1

Kitty the Hunter

Adventurer
Platform
PC
Back in the 90's a MUD I played had a similar issue, new characters had immediate access to general chat and someone wanting to be disruptive (new player, or simply a new character for an existing player looking to cause trouble). Their solution was to prohibit characters under level 10 from speaking in main and restricting them strictly to a 'newbie' channel that anyone had access to. It basically put an end to the immediate disruption and had the benefit of giving new players a place where they can discuss the important issues to them as well as players wanting to be helpful somewhere they can provide guidance.

Obviously this isn't going to resolve issues with higher level players slugging it out, but mute will still take care of them.
This would amount to rewarding trolls with their own chat lol. In any case, I want to hear from the new players :)

Reactions: Red Wizard
  • Likex1

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Actually the above quote of my post has always been in effect, it is just that these days with instant gratification no one has any patience. Please remember, MODS are volunteers doing this for the love of the game and to help the community. I am not sure how I feel about being "hunted down" across the game because some won't just block and report bad actors.
Don't get me wrong... if there is a serious issue, something that does need immediate attention then by all means ask for a mod.
But someone swearing can simply be screenshotted and blocked... by all present.

Reactions: Zazie
  • Likex1

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
This would amount to rewarding trolls with their own chat lol. In any case, I want to hear from the new players :)
Everyone can see and hear the low level chat channel - the only difference is the low level players can't use any other channels, so anyone who doesn't want bothered by the trolls just leaves that channel.

But of course you can achieve exactly the same result by using block, which for some incomprehensible reason, some players refuse to do. I imagine those players would equally refuse to close the "new player" channel, so I don't see where that gets us.

Reactions: Ekimie
  • Likex1

Concinus

Grand Priestess
Characters
Tindra Silvertass
Platform
Steam
Last edited
I think it is important newbies get to know oldies and the community through the chat right away, not be segregated from it through a newbie-chat, so they can pick up on the in-game culture the moment they set foot in the game. You don't want a disruptive chat culture to form early on in a newbie-chat that then can be brought over into the regular chats as they level up. By then they'll think being disruptive is OK because that is what they know and they've gotten away with it. They've never been confronted with the family friendly way we want and which is passed on by oldies. Oldies' help, friendliness and intolerance for BS are what keep the chat and community wholesome and just like in a family disruptive individuals should be told to shape up with love and firmness.

Panthera

Grand Priestess
Platform
Android, PC, Steam
Remember someone who is below 10 could be someone on a rebirth I would not want to be restricted because I decided to rebirth nor would I want to be restricted because I am on a new character. One of the games I played would restrict repeat chat offenders by restricting them to Canned Chat (it was an option in that particular game because it had a y10 rating and had parental controls in place over chat)

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna, Lord Villian
Platform
Android
As people have said, I don't want to block, then I can't see what they are saying.
It's not about seeing what the annoying troll is saying, it's about seeing only half a conversation which is more confusing. So, if I had to pick between being confused or being annoyed, I'll pick annoyed.

Xloui

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Aloui Bloui Cloui DeLoui
Platform
iOS
Putting kids in the “shame-corner” has never worked.
Will not work with grownups either.
Ppl will get it if told politely. Eventually.
Lynching is not a done thing any more.
We are not the wild wild west, we have sheriffs. :ROFLMAO:
Mods are mods for a reason.
Let it work itself out.
Love your fellow players anyway.
❤🧡💛💚💙💜🖤

Reactions: Irrelevant and IrishElf
  • Lovex2