Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
I read your entire post - and there's some good information in there. Thank you for taking the time to read all of the comments and collectively address many claims.

I'm curious - how often do you, as a moderator on US3, use your purple text "power?" Do you casually chat with purple chat activated? Most of the complaints from US2 players that I've seen involved one mod (who will not be named), accused of using purple text far more often than needed; for casual chat, actually. This individual was also accused of "targeting" specific individuals in-game.

Long story short: Said individuals that felt "targeted," blocked the mod in question. This mod proceeded to talk in purple text even more so in the public chats. Coincidentally, users can't block speech from mods when purple text is used.

My point: There are GOOD, and respected mods on US2. However, using purple text as a power flex (for what appeared to have been) to stroke one's ego does not imply the character of good judgment. After all, is the purple text for "fun," or does it serve an in-game purpose? I can tell you I've only ever witnessed one mod in question using the purple text feature for casual chatting and on a consistent basis...

@everyone, please don't hit me with an "It'S nOt AgAiNsT tHe ToS fOr A mOd tO uSe PuRpLe TeXt."
The use of purple varies per mod. Some mods (current and former) use purple all the time, others use it only as last resort, and then everything in between. As far as I'm aware none have been notified directly that their use of the purple chat was considered annoying/powerflex/abuse of power. Although of course I could have missed that.

Roak

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Last edited
There are GOOD, and respected mods on US2. However, using purple text as a power flex (for what appeared to have been) to stroke one's ego does not imply the character of good judgment.
This reminds me of something i've been thinking for a while: our usual US2 mods are people we often interacted with and have fun. They're not just mods, they're friends, we know them and they know us. The unusual mods that recently appeared dont know any of us and we dont know them, we're strangers to eachother so when they coldly interact with us people might feels attacked.

Those unusual mods sure do their job as mods by being informative and all, but they kinda feel like machines. If they were making jokes , or saying ''lol'' on wc when someone says something funny, they'd feel more like people and players might be more receptive when they give warnings. In comparaison, when one of our usual US2 mods tells us that we've crossed the line and to take it down a notch, it feels like coming from a friend, not some random stranger that we can suspect is just having a power trip.

Also, being whispered '' Stop it'' as a warning sounds pretty cold. I'd rather being given a warning in the form of '' Sorry mate,but i'm gonna have to give you a warning number 1'' .

LegendOfZelda

Razorback
Platform
iOS, PC
The use of purple varies per mod. Some mods (current and former) use purple all the time, others use it only as last resort, and then everything in between. As far as I'm aware none have been notified directly that their use of the purple chat was considered annoying/powerflex/abuse of power. Although of course I could have missed that.
I don’t have screenshots. However, I don’t think you’ll find anyone to argue against my claim about the ONE individual I referenced. Of course, I’m gathering that most of the “vocal minority” fail to take screenshots on a consistent basis and submit cs tickets - based on reading the comments here.

If that discredits my opinion, that purple text should be used to enforce the mod role function, and not for casual conversation, then case closed I suppose.

LegendOfZelda

Razorback
Platform
iOS, PC
This reminds me of something i've been thinking for a while: our usual US2 mods are people we often interacted with and have fun. They're not just mods, they're friends, we know them and they know us. The unusual mods that recently appeared dont know any of us and we dont know them, we're strangers to eachother so when they coldly interact with us people might feels attacked.

Those unusual mods sure do their job as mods by being informative and all, but they kinda feel like machines. If they were making jokes , or saying ''lol'' on wc when someone says something funny, they'd feel more like people and players might be more receptive when they give warnings. In comparaison, when one of our usual US2 mods tells us that we've crossed the line and to take it down a notch, it feels like coming from a friend, not some random stranger that we can suspect is just having a power trip.

Also, being whispered '' Stop it'' as a warning sounds pretty cold. I'd rather being given a warning in the form of '' Sorry mate,but i'm gonna have to give you a warning number 1'' .
Our mods are great, even the new guy.

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
I don’t have screenshots. However, I don’t think you’ll find anyone to argue against my claim about the ONE individual I referenced. Of course, I’m gathering that most of the “vocal minority” fail to take screenshots on a consistent basis and submit cs tickets - based on reading the comments here.

If that discredits my opinion, that purple text should be used to enforce the mod role function, and not for casual conversation, then case closed I suppose.
Over the last few years Iv played Iv seen some mods never almost never use their purple text (unless they have too) then there have been a few that always used their purple text when they got on and not because anything was going on. everyone would joke or say hi and how are you and conversation would be great. I don’t think a single person on our server thought oh great a mod. But yay this person or that person is on. Anyways i personally don’t see a problem with it. It makes for some funny convos and sometimes them just chatting on a server with their purple chat on will stop any convo that might be going bad with out them
Having to say a single word.

Reactions: Anthem and Zaphyra
  • Likex2

Tiberius

Neonga Nation
Forum Moderator
Last edited
After all, is the purple text for "fun," or does it serve an in-game purpose? I can tell you I've only ever witnessed one mod in question using the purple text feature for casual chatting and on a consistent basis...
There is of course a reason why moderators and all Mad Otter employees (plus me, as an employee of the German publisher responsible for the German server) use a chat color that normal users can't use: if you see somebody in purple, you can be sure that it is indeed a genuine moderator or game developer speaking and not let's say somebody impersonating a mod (for example by chosing a name similar to a known moderator or dev or by naming himself Gamemastr, InsertnamehereMOD or whatever). This was unfortunately necessary, because incidents with fake devs/mods have happenend in the past and those people usually have something sinister in mind, so one reason for the purple colour is to protect you. And no, it's unfortunately not possible to block all those names in advance, since the spelling possibilities are virtually endless. Human ingenuity and stuff. :)

Edit: I really can't spell today :p

Tiberius

Neonga Nation
Forum Moderator
(...) it feels like coming from a friend, not some random stranger that we can suspect is just having a power trip.
All our mods invest countless of hours per week, free of charge I might add, to help our players. part of it is enforcing rules, which unfortunately sometimes equals reprimanding or warning players or at least reminding players of our rules. But that's only part of it and most of the time they'll help players with whatever problem you can imagine, test stuff for us, help with events and lots more. If a mod turns up on your server that you don't recognize (or if we install new moderator), it's usually for a reason. It's not because they are stalking somebody or are on a power trip or whatever other ulterior motive you automatically seem to insinuate, but because there's the need for moderator presence. Usually somebody asked in Discord/PM/ticket/Mail/whatever for a moderator and if a regular mod on that server is not available, somebody else who has the time goes and solves that problem (or tries to at least).

So why don't you just approach all our moderators with the same courtesy, regardless if it's your favourite mod or not, maybe even try to get to know them, and you might discover that all our mods are pretty nice guys/girls and really only there to help you, and not powertripping moderating robotniks or whatever you seem to think. (And no, punishing users is really the last thing any of our mods want to do. They really don't do it because they like it. Promise!). As a last personal remark, I'm really baffled about the hostility some of you are exhibiting towards our mods.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
One of the things I have personally found to be extremely depressing about this whole sad episode is the way in which long term players have been so quick to jump on the bash a mod bandwagon.

US2 has indeed had it’s own character for many years. The farting and pooping jokes have been around for a long time. I’m not going to pretend I personally don’t consider it all a bit infantile and frankly irritating, but you know what? I’ve been a moderator for seven years, I created my first char on US2 the day it launched on steam, and yet I have never once muted a player or even warned them for a fart joke.

On these very forums, I have personally been described as a “war dog” who needs to be “muzzled” and my actions equated with police brutality. I mention this, not because it was offensive, personal and deeply hurtful (although it was) nor even because it was part of a sustained, malicious and vindictive attack (although it was) but because it’s still there. Mad Otter are so committed to the right of players to freely express their views that they left a post which directly and viciously attacked one of their own moderators for simply doing their job. I’m not going to pretend that I was happy about that decision. I felt that the post should have been removed or at least edited. In many ways the fact that it wasn’t, was more hurtful than the post itself. But today, for the first time, I can honestly say I’m glad it’s still there. Why? Simple. I’m glad it’s still there because it provides clear and irrefutable proof of Mad Otter’s commitment to the absolute right of free speech.

But I don’t really need to tell you guys this. You all know it already. You know it from your own personal experience. You know it because you have seen the livestreams. You know it because you have read Sarah’s wonderful writing of the storyline in the game. You know it from these forums and from the friendly, helpful and wonderful chat you see every time you play the game. You know that friendly atmosphere is of course mostly down to the players themselves but is also fostered by design choices made by the Devs, and yes, by the efforts of the moderators. And you know the mods themselves, too. Yes, of course you know “your” US2 mods best, but many of you also play on other servers, or know players who do, and you know those mods too. And you also know that those mods are just as well known and popular on their servers as “your” mods are on yours. Yet despite all this players are perfectly willing to believe that mods from other servers are stalking players or harassing people they don’t like, based on nothing more than rumour and hearsay.

So the question I have to ask is this. Why believe rumour and hearsay over your own personal experience and knowledge? There are numerous accusations of improper behaviour or over reaction from mods on this thread, but not one specific piece of evidence other than hearsay (I just heard…) long forgotten incidents (when I started playing…) and totally unjustified or merited speculation (I hope this doesn’t mean …). Most laughable of all, we have an accusation of power crazed mods “over using” purple chat.

So, think it over for a moment, and those of you who know and love the game and it’s community ought to realise Mad Otter aren’t fussing over the odd wtf or fart joke.

LegendOfZelda

Razorback
Platform
iOS, PC
There is of course a reason why moderators and all Mad Otter employees (plus me, as an employee of the German publisher responsible for the German server) use a chat color that normal users can't use: if you see somebody in purple, you can be sure that it is indeed a genuine moderator or game developer speaking and not let's say somebody impersonating a mod (for example by chosing a name similar of a known moderator or dev or by naming himself Gamemastr, InsertnamehereMOD or whatever). This was unfortunately necessary, because incidents with fake devs/mods have happenend in the past and those people usually have something sinister in mind, so one reason for the purple colour is to protect you. And no, it's unfortunately not possible to block all those names in advance, since the spelling possibilities are virtually endless.
Not arguing there, I think it’s an important feature in game

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Warning! Incoming TLDRpedo! Estimated impact in 3... 2... 1......

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. There is even more misunderstanding on Discord, in-game, and possibly Xanadu. Some of it is little more than a matter of perspective. Some are a result of incomplete information, and some of it is outright misdirection. It's not my intent to single out individual members and assign intent. What I do wish to do is single out a few perceptions that I feel have missed the mark for one reason or another.

Why do they say there are no new rules when they go on to list all the new rules?

The short answer to that is there ain't no new rules. Every "new rule" that is in the OP is drawn directly from the existing ToS.
The thread title is "New US2 Policies". The new policy is that the existing rules will be enforced more strongly for the simple reason that they are, with increasing frequency, being violated more strongly. See how that works? This is nothing new. It is a reaffirmation of established and acceptable conduct that is as old as the game itself.

Mad Otter has singled out US2 because they don't understand our totally rad brand of humor and are overreacting to it.

Ahhh... No. Mad Otter and its moderators have not singled you out because they don't get you. They have singled you out because the majority of your fellow players don't get you and made that opinion known in a massive number of CS tickets. The number of complaints about the over-moderation of US2 humor and expression is dwarfed by the number of complaints about that particular brand of humor and expression. So no, you did not draw their attention to you. Your fellow players drew their attention to you. The only thing that Mad Otter is doing is responding to its majority player base. Contrary to what many seem to believe, those that are deeply offended by these "new rules" are a small but vocal minority.

Moderators play favorites and target players they do not like. There have even been examples of Mods hopping to servers they do not moderate in order to stalk and harass disliked players.

Let's address the last part, first. I'm of the opinion that when players see threads such as "Our New US2 Moderator!" it gives the impression that all moderators have been assigned a single server to moderate. I can see where people would interpret it this way but that is not how it actually functions in reality. It is true that all moderators are assigned a primary server to monitor and are expected to spend the majority of their time there. That said, the moderators work together as a group. The vast majority of them have characters on multiple servers and are always available to assist wherever needed. Yes, they are server Mods, but they also function as Global Mods. I, for example, am a US3 moderator but my authority to moderate any other server is no more nor less than that which I possess on US3.

As for complaints about Mods playing favorites and targeting disliked players, all I can say is that it's not something I've ever had to witness. I've seen several complaints about it but I have yet to see any evidence of it. Hey, we're not perfect. we don't always get it right and we don't always catch everything but we try to be fair. And when we do get it wrong... the Otters have no problem with letting us know about it. Like you, we are held accountable for our actions. Mad Otter has zero-tolerance for player harassment and Mods have no exception for that rule. If anything, they are held to a higher standard. In my experience, those that tend to draw a lot of attention from the Mods are generally worthy of that attention. If you honestly believe that you have been unfairly treated by a game or forum moderator, report that conduct in a CS ticket and provide any mail, text, or screenshots to support your complaint.

Players were prevented from having a discussion of WW2 because Mods were afraid it might get out of hand. A player was reprimanded for saying Pirate Booty. And many, many more...

These are but a couple of examples of excessive moderation but they are the two most recent and that's all that's really needed to examine the issue. First, it's all true... more or less... which makes a powerful statement. Sadly, they are also examples of restricted and misleading context.
The WW2 discussion was not discouraged because it was relative to WW2. It was discouraged because it devolved into a discussion of Fascism, Nazism, Concentration camps, and how comparable these things were to the Mad Otter Gestapo and its jackbooted SS moderators that dared assault the sacred institution of free speech and US2 humor. It was an opportunity to bash at the game and its moderators, carefully packaged within a broader conversation. One of the things that annoy me most about current popular culture is how it devolves the language. Nazi has been redefined as anyone that disagrees with you on any issue. Damn Nazis! I've no doubt that this will offend some of you but if the strongest point you can put forth is to call your opponent a Nazi, you have already ceded the debate. It was highly disruptive and that's why it was discouraged.

The Pirate Booty comment would have been ridiculous if there was a warning or a mute for simply saying Pirate Booty. Arr-har-har. ;)
Frankly, I regard Pirate Booty as a harmless bit of sexual innuendo... if it was limited to that... but it wasn't. It was simply a small snippet from a much longer conversation that became less restrained and more graphic the longer it continued. It's all about boundaries and context. It's been remarked that even Mad Otter uses humor like this in its character dialog. This is true but the lead writer of Mad otter understands restraint and context where others tend to ignore these things, altogether. If you are going to cite examples of excess moderation, please feel free to provide actual examples that can stand up to the chat logs. When a fact is revealed as little more than half a fact, it is little better than an honest lie.

On a side note. The most frequent reason for warning a player is usually based on something said. On an ironic note, the mute is not usually based on what the player said but is generally a result of the player choosing to ignore the warning and/or arguing the warning in world chat.. Contrary to what some believe, a good day for a Mod is a day without warnings, mutes, or kicks.

We need clearly defined rules. Moderators are inconsistent when applying rules. How can we be expected to obey the rules when even the Mods can't agree with what they mean?

Correct. I could not agree more. Unfortunately, that which sounds reasonable is not necessarily practical. So you want a list of unallowed terms, phrases, and acronyms, with a description detailing when said comments may be allowable? No problem. It will be about the size of an unabridged dictionary, but I'm sure all you guys are gonna read it, right? Of course, it will have to be constantly updated in order to stay current. Perhaps Mad Otter can hire a wordsmith whose sole function would be the official keeper of the sacred naughty words. No?

Fine. I get it. Different Mods have differing standards and are left to their own discretion. It's messy and sometimes it's a little frustrating. Believe me, it ain't so pretty from my side either. So here's the thing. A word is akin to a handgun. It's not always the gun that's dangerous. It's the intent of the holder of the gun that matters. Words are tools and timing, context, intent, and a million other things define the tool. Do you really want Mods to come hammer down because you slipped and used a forbidden phrase in a moment of frustration? Would you prefer that the Mods lay off and let the chat go where it will, regardless of how disruptive or offensive it may become? Neither of those two options is acceptable and this is where the discretion comes in. There will always be those that think I did not moderate as hard as I should have while others might feel I went overboard. I'll never make all of you happy and I'm not even going to try. I'm just going to do what I believe to be is in the best interests of the community at that particular point and time. It's messy. It's complicated. It's human, and it's all I got. But I promise to always use it fairly.

Now Get offa mah lawn and go play a game. I gots Trolls to whack!

BOOM!
This was very well said. Thank you for giving us context and a Mod's perspective, about the incidents leading to this discussion... and please keep up the good work. 🙂👍

LegendOfZelda

Razorback
Platform
iOS, PC
One of the things I have personally found to be extremely depressing about this whole sad episode is the way in which long term players have been so quick to jump on the bash a mod bandwagon.

US2 has indeed had it’s own character for many years. The farting and pooping jokes have been around for a long time. I’m not going to pretend I personally don’t consider it all a bit infantile and frankly irritating, but you know what? I’ve been a moderator for seven years, I created my first char on US2 the day it launched on steam, and yet I have never once muted a player or even warned them for a fart joke.

On these very forums, I have personally been described as a “war dog” who needs to be “muzzled” and my actions equated with police brutality. I mention this, not because it was offensive, personal and deeply hurtful (although it was) nor even because it was part of a sustained, malicious and vindictive attack (although it was) but because it’s still there. Mad Otter are so committed to the right of players to freely express their views that they left a post which directly and viciously attacked one of their own moderators for simply doing their job. I’m not going to pretend that I was happy about that decision. I felt that the post should have been removed or at least edited. In many ways the fact that it wasn’t, was more hurtful than the post itself. But today, for the first time, I can honestly say I’m glad it’s still there. Why? Simple. I’m glad it’s still there because it provides clear and irrefutable proof of Mad Otter’s commitment to the absolute right of free speech.

But I don’t really need to tell you guys this. You all know it already. You know it from your own personal experience. You know it because you have seen the livestreams. You know it because you have read Sarah’s wonderful writing of the storyline in the game. You know it from these forums and from the friendly, helpful and wonderful chat you see every time you play the game. You know that friendly atmosphere is of course mostly down to the players themselves but is also fostered by design choices made by the Devs, and yes, by the efforts of the moderators. And you know the mods themselves, too. Yes, of course you know “your” US2 mods best, but many of you also play on other servers, or know players who do, and you know those mods too. And you also know that those mods are just as well known and popular on their servers as “your” mods are on yours. Yet despite all this players are perfectly willing to believe that mods from other servers are stalking players or harassing people they don’t like, based on nothing more than rumour and hearsay.

So the question I have to ask is this. Why believe rumour and hearsay over your own personal experience and knowledge? There are numerous accusations of improper behaviour or over reaction from mods on this thread, but not one specific piece of evidence other than hearsay (I just heard…) long forgotten incidents (when I started playing…) and totally unjustified or merited speculation (I hope this doesn’t mean …). Most laughable of all, we have an accusation of power crazed mods “over using” purple chat.

So, think it over for a moment, and those of you who know and love the game and it’s community ought to realise Mad Otter aren’t fussing over the odd wtf or fart joke.
Idk how to formally quote specific things and then reply so I’m doing it this way:

“…servers as “your” mods are on yours. Yet despite all this players are perfectly willing to believe that mods from other servers are stalking players or harassing people they don’t like, based on nothing more than rumour and hearsay.”

While I respect your opinion, I find it hard to believe that this entire argument is based on rumor and hearsay. Why would veteran players that have played for years voluntarily deceive their peers? If a majority of players respect the mods in a given server, except one - it might be time to start asking questions about the one in question, instead of the server response.

I would also further argue that as a current US2 player that spends a significant amount of time online, it seems like tensions are actually cooling overall. There are some still upset, as can be witnessed in the world chat, but it’s definitely headed in an uphill direction.

“There are numerous accusations of improper behaviour or over reaction from mods on this thread, but not one specific piece of evidence other than hearsay (I just heard…) long forgotten incidents (when I started playing…) and totally unjustified or merited speculation (I hope this doesn’t mean …). Most laughable of all, we have an accusation of power crazed mods “over using” purple chat.”

Again, if multiple people complain about the -one- mod, and not others, I find that highly unlikely to be on the basis of hearsay.

I figured my argument would be dismissed - that the purple chat feature should be used as a tool instead of a “coolness” aspect. Sadly on the notion that “I don’t have screenshots.”

Bold of you to assume the “minority” is upset over rumors. Especially considering the veterans in the group that have played for years.

Can’t help but wonder - if the mod in question was 100% in the right the entire time, why were they recently relieved of service on the US2 server?

Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Can’t help but wonder - if the mod in question was 100% in the right the entire time, why were they recently relieved of service on the US2 server?
They were not relieved of service on US2 -- the mod in question, whom I 100% believe has been correct and justified in all of their actions, stepped back from the server at my request because many players on US2 seemed to have turned that individual into a focal point for their enmity, which was creating even further conflicts on the server. (And on a personal note, I think the lack of respect shown to this individual, and the treatment that mod received from US2 players was wholly out of line, if not shameful.)

Roak

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Last edited
Why would veteran players that have played for years voluntarily deceive their peers?
I dont think there's a voluntary will to deceive here, i suspect that some players perceived what some of the unusal mods told them as power tripping, abuse of power and what have you due to some of those mods being pretty direct and blunt. Those players shared their view of the mods in public, which influenced how other people view the mods.This create a toxic atmosphere for those mods to work in, putting pressure on them which makes them slowly become what they were accused of being.

Hmm, i feel like i'm slowly becoming a sociologist, lol

Anyway,that's just my two cents 🤪

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
They were not relieved of service on US2 -- the mod in question, whom I 100% believe has been correct and justified in all of their actions, stepped back from the server at my request because many players on US2 seemed to have turned that individual into a focal point for their enmity, which was creating even further conflicts on the server. (And on a personal note, I think the lack of respect shown to this individual, and the treatment that mod received from US2 players was wholly out of line, if not shameful.)
I hope they are still a mod on other servers. Whoever it may be. With the game becoming more popular we definitely need our mods regardless of what people think, they do a lot to keep our servers friendly.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Idk how to formally quote specific things and then reply so I’m doing it this way:

“…servers as “your” mods are on yours. Yet despite all this players are perfectly willing to believe that mods from other servers are stalking players or harassing people they don’t like, based on nothing more than rumour and hearsay.”

While I respect your opinion, I find it hard to believe that this entire argument is based on rumor and hearsay. Why would veteran players that have played for years voluntarily deceive their peers? If a majority of players respect the mods in a given server, except one - it might be time to start asking questions about the one in question, instead of the server response.

snip

Bold of you to assume the “minority” is upset over rumors. Especially considering the veterans in the group that have played for years.

snip
my emphasis
Point 1 "I find it hard to believe that this entire argument is based on rumor and hearsay. "
So do I. That's pretty much the whole point of my post.

Point2 "Bold of you to assume the “minority” is upset over rumors."
I didn't. I said a minority were creating the rumours which sadly the majority seem to be accepting as gospel despite common sense or knowledge based on personal experience.

Reactions: Kilgharrah
  • Likex1

Kilgharrah

Adventurer
Characters
Kilgharrah, Gwayne, Sylvaena, GeraltOfArdent
Platform
iOS
I dont think there's a voluntary will to deceive here, i suspect that some players perceived what some of the unusal mods told them as power tripping, abuse of power and what have you due to some of those mods being pretty direct and blunt. Those players shared their view of the mods in public, which influenced how other people view the mods.This create a toxic atmosphere for those mods to work in, putting pressure on them which makes them slowly become what they were accused of being.

Hmm, i feel like i'm slowly becoming a sociologist, lol

Anyway,that's just my two cents 🤪
This 100%. It seems to me that a lot of the anger has been based on unsubstantiated assumptions about certain veteran players/ mods acting in bad faith, because they're sometimes being pretty blunt and enforcing ToS more strictly than has been done in recent months. To me, that mindset spreading among enough US2 players appears to be at the core of the whole blow-up last week.

Reactions: Zaphyra
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
I read your entire post - and there's some good information in there. Thank you for taking the time to read all of the comments and collectively address many claims.

I'm curious - how often do you, as a moderator on US3, use your purple text "power?" Do you casually chat with purple chat activated? Most of the complaints from US2 players that I've seen involved one mod (who will not be named), accused of using purple text far more often than needed; for casual chat, actually. This individual was also accused of "targeting" specific individuals in-game.

Long story short: Said individuals that felt "targeted," blocked the mod in question. This mod proceeded to talk in purple text even more so in the public chats. Coincidentally, users can't block speech from mods when purple text is used.

My point: There are GOOD, and respected mods on US2. However, using purple text as a power flex (for what appeared to have been) to stroke one's ego does not imply the character of good judgment. After all, is the purple text for "fun," or does it serve an in-game purpose? I can tell you I've only ever witnessed one mod in question using the purple text feature for casual chatting and on a consistent basis...

@everyone, please don't hit me with an "It'S nOt AgAiNsT tHe ToS fOr A mOd tO uSe PuRpLe TeXt."
The direct answer to your question is that I seldom use purple text in a casual fashion. That's not to say I have never done it but that it's somewhat rare for me to do so.

The moderator group is very diverse and there is a lot of variety in how they choose to interact with the community. We lost a much-loved moderator a year or so back that left their purple text on 100% of the time. It was seen as a bit of a quirk and it was rare for anyone to take issue with it. It was simply an extension of her personality. I miss her very much and am not alone in feeling that. By contrast, I can think of a current Mod on another US server that I have not seen use purple text for months. I know that they employ it when they moderate behind the scenes in one-on-one conversations but they avoid using it in world chat unless they feel it absolutely necessary.

I have seen many instances where a confident and capable individual with an outgoing personality was mistakenly perceived as arrogant. I believe that to be the case with the moderator you mentioned in your last post. In my opinion, they are being mischaracterized and are not being judged fairly.