Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
ardent_ledger_pic.png

It's baaaaack! We've got a brand new issue of the Ardent Ledger for you all! Find out what's coming in 2024, see who the new Royal Guardians are, get the scoop on lag tech from Damon, have a look back at all the fun had in recent Christmas contests, catch up with the Sneaky Scribbler, and more!

You can read the new issue of the Ardent Ledger HERE. :)

(Or just click 'Newsletter' on our website.)

ishanroyc

Warrior
Royal Guardian
Characters
ishanroyc, ishamanroyc
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Yahooo! Ardent Ledger is back! Congratulations to all newly appointed Royal Guardians!

Reactions: Xantia and Zazie
  • Lovex1
  • Likex1

Dawnfire

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Congrats to the new royal guardians, especially Fire Fly, well deserved, she does a whole lot for a lot of folks on the server (myself included!).

Also super excited about the upcoming new zones, raid and wait you really bringing back the legacy raid rewards? Man, Christmas came super early this year <3

Xantia

Arch Wizard
Characters
Xantia
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
I'm so excited for the new content and happy to see some player ideas being implemented. 🤩👍

I'm going to start grinding and saving Ducats for Legacy items, right now! 🏃‍♀️💨

Thanks so much! 😍💕

Reactions: Dawnfire and Zazie
  • Likex2

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie, Neither, Baa
Platform
  1. PC
Congrats to all the newly-named Royal Guardians, especially Ryvyr, who has been constantly helping players during the many years I’ve known her! Kudos!!

I had an idea regarding lag. Several months ago (when the most recent changes were made), I was talking about it in world chat, when I suddenly realized that one of the biggest differences remaining between pc and mobile lies in how the existence of lag is communicated to the player!

If you’re on pc, you SEE your feats turn green, or you SEE that red X in the top right corner (letting you know that your device has lost connection with the server), or you SEE the box in the top right, indicating that you’re experiencing severe latency and packet loss. (PC players can also use Shift-Z to SEE exactly what their packet loss is, along with other stats.)

Why can’t mobile players see ANY of this helpful info when they’re experiencing lag??? If they’re not seeing that one of their feats has turned green, then of course they’re just going to experience increased frustration over the lag as they (unknowingly) pointlessly try spamming feats until one finally works!

Couldn’t mobile at least have icons visible for these situations, giving them just a little more info about the lag they’re experiencing?? It’s far easier to be a little more patient if you’re seeing some indication of what’s actually happening! :D

Pieberry

Master Villager
Royal Guardian
Characters
Berit, Pieberry, Sumida Gawa, Ephie
Platform
  1. iOS
Yay Crux! But... is that a sneak peek? Do i see treehouses with high walkways? Love the look! Watch out below for me falling off a lot (anyone else remember Kelethin, the elf village in Faydark over in original Everquest and the splatter zone below the village? lol)

Reactions: Massakari and Xantia
  • Lovex1
  • Hahax1

Grz

Reader
Platform
  1. Android
For the first time, this ledger feels like its directly speaking to me. I'm looking forward to those "stimulating rewards!"

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
So this is happening no debate needed but the new crux stuff sounds cool, once again not enough is really known yet to form any definitive opinions but it sounds like good stuff.

the raid reward changes: it sounds to me like we will be rewarding those who can do high lvl heroics vs those who cant. Not a problem for me of course but looking at the bigger picture it means some players will have easier access to dropped legendary, epic fabled gear and celestial relics than others. that’s slightly concerning but I guess we shall see how it goes.

as for old raid rewards on a selfish note I’m a little sad to see some of my rarer items become less exclusive but I think overall this is a good move as others do deserve a chance to earn some choice items too. One true concern I have is I don’t really want everyone (or a large portion of the population) to use the same mount, so this might be an unpopular suggestion but maybe speed boosts from the old mallocks wind and zells fell hound could be removed? They pose a serious threat to individuality as they are just flat out better than all other mounts. I would rather lose the speed boost than lose my individuality so if everyone started using it I would have to change my image not based on choice but instead I would feel forced to do so.

Squonk

Master Villager
Characters
Squonk, Auburn Bow, Morgawa, Auburn Shade, Auburn Flame, Auburn Assassin, Medusala, Auburn Saint, +2
Platform
  1. PC
Last edited
as for old raid rewards on a selfish note I’m a little sad to see some of my rarer items become less exclusive but I think overall this is a good move as others do deserve a chance to earn some choice items too. One true concern I have is I don’t really want everyone (or a large portion of the population) to use the same mount, so this might be an unpopular suggestion but maybe speed boosts from the old mallocks wind and zells fell hound could be removed? They pose a serious threat to individuality as they are just flat out better than all other mounts. I would rather lose the speed boost than lose my individuality so if everyone started using it I would have to change my image not based on choice but instead I would feel forced to do so.

Overhauling mounts so that you can apply earned speed boosts, jump boosts etc from one mount to another mount you own would be a better option than removing earned boosts (which should never be considered) that threaten individuality.
This way you wouldn't feel forced into using a particular mount all the time.

Mock-up of what I'm trying to suggest:

mount_menu.jpg

Choose your mount from all you've bought/unlocked, choose it's passive skill and choose an active skill.
Could even add a mount equivalent of wardrobe slots to save more than 1 preset and sell those for crowns for convenience.

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
Overhauling mounts so that you can apply earned speed boosts, jump boosts etc from one mount to another mount you own would be a better option than removing earned boosts (which should never be considered) that threaten individuality.

View attachment 22315

Choose your mount from all you've bought/unlocked, choose it's passive skill and choose an active skill.
Could even add a mount equivalent of wardrobe slots to save more than 1 preset and sell those for crowns for convenience.
Better option? Different option I say, but either way something the devs should consider based on how much work it will take them to implement.

Reactions: Renaiss and Xantia
  • Likex2

Dawnfire

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC

View attachment 22315

Wish they did this, would make so much sense, it lets you use whatever mount you like with whatever passive/active skill you enjoy or need. I think having more customization options is always better than being limited to a few (which is the current system, because quite often the mount whose looks you like might not give the passive/active you need, so you are forced to either don't like the mounts look or not have the passive/active boost [yes I know you can mount switch after using the active]).

Stephen Huszar

Adventurer
Characters
Stephen Huszar
Platform
  1. Android
I am not big fan of this green mallok horse but it can be useful with gouger speed to get back to place when u die or in very big zones ... My favorite mount ever is gargoyle so i love Squonks idea to give him abilities i want, i am tired of switching mounts constantly from gargoyle to gouger for speed then to phoenix to fly over water and back to gargoyle and so on ...

Reactions: Massakari, Zazie and Xantia
  • Likex2
  • Hahax1

Xantia

Arch Wizard
Characters
Xantia
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
the raid reward changes: it sounds to me like we will be rewarding those who can do high lvl heroics vs those who cant. Not a problem for me of course but looking at the bigger picture it means some players will have easier access to dropped legendary, epic fabled gear and celestial relics than others. that’s slightly concerning but I guess we shall see how it goes.
I understand the desire to be fair and inclusive, but (IMHO) it's very important that VH offers challenging content with worthwhile rewards. Because the desire to conquer challenging content and earn valuable rewards, is the incentive for players to spend their time and resources, building a strong toon and grinding content. 💪🏆🤩

I am soooooo happy to have the opportunity to grind for Ducats and earn the raid rewards I missed. Not only because I want those rewards, but also because it gives me a reason to spend more time raiding. Which is why I believe this will be very good for the game, as players will have more rewards to work towards.

However, I totally understand your desire for individuality. I mix-n-match outfits, pets and mounts for the same reason. But honestly, even with the speed buffs... I hardly ever use my Zell or Mallok mounts, because I don't really like their esthetics. 😬🫣

But I do have an idea to share... since adding previous raid rewards to the Ducat Vendor is a big change, maybe the Otters should consider:
  • Making 2 versions of each raid mount:
    • Raid reward mount, with speed equal to Mallok's Wind.​
    • Ducat store mount, with normal speed.​
  • Make these changes retroactive. So all existing (and future) raid mounts will have a speed boost, while mounts purchased with Ducats will have normal speed.
I think this might maintain the value of earning speed-boosted raids mounts, while also giving players the opportunity to grind for normal mounts... AND... since ALL raid reward mounts will have a speed boost, players will have more speed-boosted raid mounts to choose from (to help maintain their individuality). 🙂

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
Lots of cool ideas/thoughts on this and maybe my concerns are baseless, whatever the devs ultimately decide to do or not do or what they can or can’t do I’m sure it will all be ok in the end. All I’m saying really is I’m not really sure how I’ll feel about any of it till it’s actually done, it certainly isn’t clear and it might have unforeseen consequences.

Reactions: Zazie and Xantia
  • Likex2

Massakari

Shaman
Characters
Massakari
Platform
  1. Android
Yay Crux! But... is that a sneak peek? Do i see treehouses with high walkways? Love the look! Watch out below for me falling off a lot (anyone else remember Kelethin, the elf village in Faydark over in original Everquest and the splatter zone below the village? lol)
Ohh, man!! Lol .. lots of times there would be corpses lined up and down below the treehouse walkways. Thanks for that memory! Good times!

Reactions: Pieberry and Xantia
  • Hahax2