Jalandra

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Zorlanda, Lenada, Jalandra, Zorlan, Yuju, Queen of Darkness
Platform
iOS, PC, Steam
Like many guilds I know mine has members from a range of nationalities. While English is the common language on EU1 we have several non-English guild members who speak almost no English. I do sympathise for some of them as they must feel alienated playing a game they like but find it difficult to communicate with other guild members and even the community as a whole.

This issue became foremost in my mind yesterday when I was asked to help someone who was stuck doing The Unfolding Tale. It was clear fairly quickly that English wasn't their native tongue. After some attempts he finally told me he was Turkish. So, I dusted off the translator and we started talking. It's easy to copy and paste another languages text into a message but if that language uses accented or foreign characters that my language is not setup for then they show as "?" in the text. This is frustrating as I end up replacing the "?" with English characters that look similar. This all takes time but fortunately they can usually work out what I'm saying.

After 1h 20m, a marathon time for The Unfolding Tale, a very delighted Turk told me he had got the reward he wanted and even offered me gold. I politely declined but was equally delighted that I had helped him get the reward especially given the language difficulties.

This got me thinking. With so many non-English speakers now playing the game and probably more to come in the future, it would be great if the chat interface auto-translated any type of chat into the language of those seeing it. I know no auto-translator is perfect, especially certain ones with major brand names, but they are now far better than they used to be. Could you look at including this in the game? I know it's probably not simple as
  1. it would likely increase the size of the client program significantly if held in that but then the server could just pass it on to the client with an original language code to tell the client what language to translate from OR
  2. Have the server translate it into lots of languages before passing it on to all the recipients. This may put undue stress on the server so perhaps 1 above is better.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not aware of any game that has an auto-translator build into it yet. This could be a first and great marketing to get more players from lots of nationalities.

DanFarrands

Black Thrush Agent
Platform
Android
Los juegos multijugadores globales, el chat suele tener la opcion de traducir a tu idioma natal, o en el que tengas configurado el juego,cada frase que publique cualquier jugador en cualquier idioma con un solo click en el icono de traduccion, rapido y eficaz.
En este juego los usuarios de ordenador podeis copiar y pegar los textos al traductor pero los jugadores de movil tenemos que hacer captura del texto, traducirla y leer lo mas rapido posible antes de que el juego se te cierre y tengas que iniciar de nuevo

Reactions: Sumi
  • Likex1

Jalandra

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC, Steam
Los juegos multijugadores globales, el chat suele tener la opcion de traducir a tu idioma natal, o en el que tengas configurado el juego,cada frase que publique cualquier jugador en cualquier idioma con un solo click en el icono de traduccion, rapido y eficaz.
En este juego los usuarios de ordenador podeis copiar y pegar los textos al traductor pero los jugadores de movil tenemos que hacer captura del texto, traducirla y leer lo mas rapido posible antes de que el juego se te cierre y tengas que iniciar de nuevo
Using my favourite translator this translates as
"In global multiplayer games, the chat usually has the option to translate into your native language, or in which you have configured the game, each phrase that any player publishes in any language with a single click on the translation icon, fast and effective.
In this game computer users can copy and paste the texts to the translator but mobile players have to capture the text, translate it and read it as quickly as possible before the game closes and you have to start again"

I've never played any mmo game with a translation feature.

Cosmickitty

Bog Frog
Platform
iOS
The last mobile mmo I played had a chat translation feature. you could tap a players message then tap translate and it would translate to your language. I think they generally all use google translate, but not perfect is much better than nonexistent. You just had to be careful and not use shorthand

Jalandra

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC, Steam
Every translator I've seen is better than Google or the one used by Instagram! After having tested a few the best I found is Microsoft Translator. It's free for both PC and Mobile and was used for the above translation.

Perhaps I should have qualified my original post. I am almost exclusively a player of PC games so not familiar with any in-built translators available for mobile games.