Valkeri

Squirrel
Gold to make the 1000 pieces of gear to get that one gold one that is worth keeping 😵💫
Recipes - in hopes that the NS RNG (not so random number generator) gives that one still needed 😩
Community- it’s fun to gather with mostly skilled players to achieve a goal without a level 4 attacking the main mob (see most EZ runs) 🤣

Reactions: Ellusive
  • Likex1

Pieberry

Master Villager
Royal Guardian
Characters
Berit, Pieberry, Sumida Gawa, Ephie
Platform
  1. iOS
Hi,
Many players run the level 95 elders often- as much as every day. In order to create more things like these that players enjoy doing, can you let us know why you do the level 95 elders?

Thanks, Damon
As a potions maker I want all the blighted potions recipes and I'm still trying to find some on Berit.
Sellables for gold
I do wish there was more variety in the gear enhancement drops or that they could, I dunno, maybe combine enough of them to create a great trinket or add new abilities to a necklace or something.
Definitely fun when there's a first timer and we hold the dragon parade in Ardent for them afterward

ParmaV

Hunter
Platform
  1. Android
Last edited
Firstly lvl 95 elders aren't interesting. They are dull and repetitive.
I do them to get gold.
You have to do them for the recipes but as I have only dropped 5 recipes that are any use to me it's not exactly a main motivation. Usually the recipes are duplicates or smithing recipes that I can't use and don't need. I am a potions master and have only dropped 2 cooking recipes (manna pots and malice drams).
I have dropped the boar and fungus mount but don't use either as they don't suit my character. I would like the horse so do them occasionally just in case.
I put the trinket buffs on the trinkets I use both offensive and defensive ones but now they're all buffed up so there's nothing to do with the rest of the buffs, I can't even sell them so they just get deleted. Same with elder fragments, occasionally you get a new look bow but the jerkins are all the same just different colours (for all elder bosses on hunters it seems) so they're just a bit of cash.

Secondly, my main issue is that I don't ever feel like I have actually completed the lvl 95 elders. I turn up, run around following the group and shoot at things I can't see for the players. Assuming I got the start right and didn't miss a mob, get to elder boss and shoot until it dies for Lannox and Baldok. Shoot until Jacinda clones herself, do my best to follow what's going on but at some point just stop shooting and wait until she's been killed.
For Hox it's a case of run over the bridge, target Hox, shoot him until his first scream, die and lie there until everybody else kills Hox, take the credit for something I didn't actually do.
Now given that in order to progress onto any new lvl content I have assumed I would need to kill the lvl 95 elders I am very glad that I have 'done' them otherwise I may be waiting a very long time until I could move on. However, in reality I have never actually completed them so I feel like I have cheated.

If I wasn't there the group would still be successful and get a gold run (usually) so I don't feel like I have contributed to the success of a run.

It makes no discernible difference if I go all out or just use the odd feat so I I just shoot blind until it's done, not satisfying or fun at all.

The damage chart blocks out a large chunk of the screen on mobile and as I am reliant on following the group and seeing Antavious' commands I never have it open so the elder run is of no use to me regarding my stats.

I don't know the route as it all moves too fast for me to know where I am, so again just feel like I'm tagging along.

If you want to know why players run the elders almost daily I would suggest it's because there's not a lot else to do at lvl 95.
The Blighted Isles are boring and grindy, the rift takes a long time for not a lot of reward, if I don't die most of the gear I drop is for other classes and I frequently die. At least on the elders if I die it's not all wasted I just feel cheaty.

If the purpose of this thread is to get opinions on what content players enjoy and why, then I enjoy solo questing because I have actually done that myself not just taken credit for it.

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
  1. PC
I have not done the 95s since the lag fixes, but most of the time I could not tell what to hit. My screen was just too full of flashing feats to know what was going on. I never feel as can contribute, so I hate to join runs.

Reactions: Lamorack
  • Likex1

Desaraiyah

Shaman
Platform
  1. Android
Last edited
Hi,
Many players run the level 95 elders often- as much as every day. In order to create more things like these that players enjoy doing, can you let us know why you do the level 95 elders?

Thanks, Damon
Because they are literally unique as in we just dont kill them and stuff drops. Its a whole 20-30 mins and its the only set of eldrs to come with a timer and 4 individual quests. Plus primals, motes, and elder treasures<3 (especially the visages and challices when you get them.) the motes, primal, and treasures are the only reason why i still run them. And i think its cool that their chests(and to a much much lesser degree) their satchels can drop their mounts. They are the only set of elders to have mounts that you can get from them via gold chests.

Pieberry

Master Villager
Royal Guardian
Characters
Platform
  1. iOS
There's generally a leader saying to target, open, then take the quest. On mobile, I have to position myself so that the tiny portion of visible screen in the tiny gap in that enormous open quest dialog is showing me the path ahead - I can't see chat at that point since it doesn't pop up over quest dialog and I can't see any players to know when they move but if there is a wizard I can see the orange running flames and know I can take the quest. I do so and of course hope I can still run there and still get credit so far behind the pack. The alternative is to just take it early and hope we are a fast enough group so I don't time out.

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
Simply put, there are useful rewards that you can't get other places or can't easily get other places. Recipes and mounts. Everything else is fairly easy to get.

I wish we could get access to unique seeds that when you harvest them, you get the item, say Verda 2.0 (I know it's not creative with the name) and more seeds that we could sell to other players. It'd make a whole new market. Might not work well though. Not sure.

-M.

Desaraiyah

Shaman
Platform
  1. Android
Last edited
Straight on elder fight is preferable; like the 85's are. Having them timed isn't as bad as having to get all the mobs in the 95's. (Often some players miss a mob or two and then cannot finish. That is frustrating. ) Having to tag a NPC that is really tiny when they are surrounded by a whole lot of players is usually why people miss mobs, they tag and get the quest last and some players are already in the midst of killing stuff.

Edit to add... I am mostly doing the elders for the recipe books that don't seem to drop as often as I'd like. The reward of a mount is a nice thing. And I do like the drops pf preparations... those are great!
Theres a work around to the tagging. Use the big attack button to target, then use it again to take the mainquest(this works with all npcs in the game, not just those with quests. Heck, it even works on the elemental golemn.)

Reactions: IrishElf
  • Likex1

Desaraiyah

Shaman
Platform
  1. Android
Last edited
There's generally a leader saying to target, open, then take the quest. On mobile, I have to position myself so that the tiny portion of visible screen in the tiny gap in that enormous open quest dialog is showing me the path ahead - I can't see chat at that point since it doesn't pop up over quest dialog and I can't see any players to know when they move but if there is a wizard I can see the orange running flames and know I can take the quest. I do so and of course hope I can still run there and still get credit so far behind the pack. The alternative is to just take it early and hope we are a fast enough group so I don't time out.
Theres a work around to the tagging. Use the big attack button to target, then use it again to take the mainquest (this works with all npcs in the game, not just those with quests. Heck, it even works on the elemental golemn.)

Pieberry

Master Villager
Royal Guardian
Characters
Platform
  1. iOS
Theres a work around to the tagging. Use the big attack button to target, then use it again to take the mainquest (this works with all npcs in the game, not just those with quests. Heck, it even works on the elemental golemn.)
Targeting isnt the problem, it's that you can't see when they say Take Quest once you have quedt open so the choice is... target but don't open and go throught dialogue prompts until after said (in which case you're last one running) or open it and get ready but barely can see if they said it based on a glimpse of a wizard run streak (in which case you're the last one running)

Urzaa

Adventurer
Characters
Urzaa
Platform
  1. Android
I'm not sure I understand the problem but I want to help.
Targeting isnt the problem, it's that you can't see when they say Take Quest once you have quedt open so the choice is... target but don't open and go throught dialogue prompts until after said (in which case you're last one running) or open it and get ready but barely can see if they said it based on a glimpse of a wizard run streak (in which case you're the last one running)
The way I do it on mobile is I tap the main attack button to get the target NPC, then wait. At this point no dialogue should be up. Whenever the person says take quest, that is the point at which I press the main attack button again. Then the dialogue pulls up and I accept the quest quickly and take off.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I didn't understand the issue properly. Please explain it to me more if I wasn't helpful.

Best Regards,
-M.

Lamorack

Great Adventurer
Platform
  1. iOS
Last edited
When I have most of the recipes I need I will probably only go occasionally to help.
I ran the 95s religiously early on over my first 3 toons, particularly my armor and weapon specs to get the recipes primarily, though the gold was nice initially. To be honest I’ve barely run them in years, and only on newly 95 toons or to help out.

I don’t miss the length of time or the nightly ritual repeating the same thing. I agree with others that the 95s aren’t the model I’d replicate but are run because they have to be, primarily. It’s a right of passage for most I’ve known. For armor and weapon specs need lasts longer, of course.

I give great credit to those who run them continually for new 95s. Personally, I have found running the blight dailies more likely. I want the blight notes and can do this when I want and start and stop in between if needed. Solo or with anyone who happens to want to team up.

Reactions: Zazie
  • Likex1

Lamorack

Great Adventurer
Platform
  1. iOS
… They are the only set of elders to have mounts that you can get from them via gold chests.
That is a good reward and idea, I agree. I don’t know if it’s improved, but the drawback with mounts and recipes is the lack of some kind of weighting to address the tendency to repeat the same drops. I don’t know how many mounts and recipes I’ve deleted.

After hundreds of runs across multiple toons there are still some recipes I never got on any, let alone the relevant spec. Yes there’s even a mount not one of my toons has ever had drop. I realize that’s an extreme statistical anomaly. I know of at least one player that got 3 on their first ever run, but it’s a good example of something that could be improved within an otherwise good idea that I’d be happy to see replicated in a future end game elder challenge build.

Reactions: Desaraiyah and Zazie
  • Likex2

Evanlyn

Huntress
Characters
Evanlyn the Hunter, Evanlyn the Priest
Platform
  1. Steam
I ran it daily for years for:
1. The rewards. (Even now just the gold makes it worth it.)
2. Organised group teamwork, working together for a common goal, which is always fun.
3. Competition - I started at the bottom of the charts and gradually worked my way up by improving my build, using this as a monitoring tool.
4. Challenge of completing each elder boss within the time limits.
5. I also rather liked the fact it was arranged for a set time daily.

Reactions: Desaraiyah
  • Likex1

Elloque

Citizen
Platform
  1. Android
I’m running it mainly for recipes and rewards, gold. Sometimes run it to check a build on the charts to see where I’m at. The area is too dark for me. My eyes are bad and I feel like I strain them a bit in there. That’s with the brightness all the way up.
I think it would be interesting to add a guild/village dungeon with the portal in the village. Maybe it could be leveled like the other village areas. Idk if that would take a type of fighting exp points dumped into it or fortifications from ore and wood? The fighting area we have is underused and not all that great, would rather have a dungeon.
It could be a “capture the flag” type dungeon where another guild issues a challenge to get their item, not pvp, but fighting through puzzles, obstacles, monsters to find the object as a timed event. Or trying to beat the other villages time.
Just looking for something new to do that isn’t like what we already have.

Reactions: Evanlyn
  • Likex1

ParmaV

Hunter
Platform
  1. Android
Really annoyingly for me on the elders is the issue of what I call judder. The image judders and jitters making it very hard to watch and hard to play. It is not a drop in frame rate as things are moving usual speed. I always have camera shake turned off so it's not that. If I knew how to take a video of it I would but I am not even sure I can on mobile. It happens in event ladders too, whenever there's a large group of players. I know this is slightly off topic for this thread but it is a reason NOT to do the elders for me.

Lag issues don't seem to have been mentioned lately but I am certainly still getting lag. I don't seem to get it on elders and lag doesn't matter to me on elders, as I said in a previous post I don't make a significant contribution so what if my feats are a bit slow. I do get it in raids and general questing though.

Yuriza

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Yuriza, Gaia Xiao, Apollymi, Hari, Shaysisisisislia
Platform
  1. Android
I'm gradually stop attending 95s, there like 3 run a day on us3. The 95s runs don't have the complexity combat to keep me entertained, like rift, empower ladder in vale. (Prefer the challenging fights that requires EVERY ROLE class, not just DPS and 2 healer)

One 95s run was so boring and mindless, didn't realize that the group already arrived at the elder into walking up the summit.

Another issue, the repeats of recipes. It took me a month to unlock a new weapon recipe, when doing it daily. By the time I get the last weapon recipe (if even attending 95s dailies still) the new content would be here making it moot, good springboard into the content, but moot regardless.

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
I don't do them any more than I have to.

When Raids were being developed, I was not a fan. Even though the content did not appeal to me, I never said anything against them. I had two reasons for doing so.
The first was that while they did not appeal to me, I knew several people who looked forward to them. It would be rare for someone to like every aspect of an MMO, and I am no exception to that rule. I believe an MMO needs a variety of content that appeals to a broad audience. The Raids added something different to the game and regardless of my personal feelings, that's a good thing.

The second reason I did not object was because we were assured that Raids would be optional content and not required for character advancement. If I didn't want to do them I would not be under any compulsion to do so.

So what do Raids have to do with the 95 Elders?
Elders are NOT optional content. They ARE required if one expects to follow the story arc of V&H and experience the full picture. In the case of the 95 Elders, they are designed as a Raid. The one thing I like least about the game; The thing we were told would be totally optional, has been inserted squarely in the middle of the path to game completion.

I would have had no problem with seeing a top-tier, permanent Raid, added to the current end-game. In essence, that's what the 95 Elders are, and that's why I only engage in them to the level I must. Making content like this a must-do aspect to reach the end-game is at odds with everything I expect from this game and runs contrary to all other must-do content that precedes it.

So, to answer the original question;

"In order to create more things like these that players enjoy doing, can you let us know why you do the level 95 elders?"

I'm afraid I can't help you because THIS player would not particularly enjoy doing even more of this type of content. When I first started playing this game it was more rounded. There was a near-equal emphasis on combat and non-combat activities. Hence, the name, Villagers AND Heroes. What I would really like is to see something entirely different, but that's not what this thread is about so I'll just leave it to resume it's intended course. My apology if I have thrown it off-topic but I felt it would be remiss of me if I didn't take this opportunity to remind the devs that there are more than a few of us here that are not hard-core combat enthusiasts at heart. All gamers want more content. If more of this is the content the majority of your players want, so be it. Speaking for myself, I remain unconvinced that's the actual case.

ParmaV

Hunter
Platform
  1. Android
Damon's original question included the statement: "In order to create more things like these that players enjoy doing..."
The implication being that Damon assumes that because players run the elders as much as daily they are doing this because they ENJOY it. It seems from the replies that players run the elders as often as they do because they NEED to, most importantly to get recipes to make gear and weapons, the gold is nice and the chance of the mount is a consideration but as with any chance may never happen.

I do not ENJOY the 95 elders, I do not ENJOY raids, I do not ENJOY the rift. I do all of them if I need to, usually to try and fill the numerous gaps in my gear due to the lack of drops of my subclass and the lack of both crafted MM gear and dropped gear generally in AH.

If you want to create more content that players ENJOY and that isn't skewed towards the opinion of lvl 95s with 5 rebirths, usually guild members try asking players of all lvls what they ENJOY.

I am 95 with no rebirths as I couldn't see the point given the terrible talent trees for MM hunters, I enjoy questing, cooking and looking after my animals. I think the main quest line is really well written, with drama, pathos and humour aplenty. I am eagerly waiting for the new content so i can get back to what I enjoy - questing.

I am rebirthing my fire wizard and holy priest as I can see the benefit for them of the extra talent points and enjoyed going back over the early quest line. Certain points still have me screaming "no don't do it" and the subsequent rollercoaster of emotions my actions result in. I'm coming up to another "hits you like a ton of bricks" moment on my priest and it's still emotional.

I don't like or want any of the mounts apart from the zephyrstone and one of the fellcats (reminds me of a certain main quest line kitty), neither of which involve grinding for medallions or zingara and am sad to see the amount of contention, stress and animosity their introduction has caused.

What I would like is for the devs to focus their efforts on completing the new quest line content and bringing that out. At present it feels like they are fobbing the lvl 95s off and trying to distract them with the introduction of new mounts. And fingers crossed the new content will be quest based and not just more lvl locked progression and grinding for medallions.

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
Several people who disagree with the fact that people are different from them simply want to disagree with the original question which for those who choose to ignore it was “why do you find the 95 elders interesting”.

This simply isn’t meant for anyone who doesn’t find it interesting. I’m frankly shocked at any who are using this thread to moan. If you don’t have anything to add to why you find the content interesting or you simply don’t find the 95 elders interesting make a post in a different more appropriate thread as not to undermine what this thread is trying to do.