KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
As a Guild Leader I tend to take notice whenever I see players fading away. Throughout the game, there is one particular level range where this happens far too often and must be addressed. That is the level 78 - 90 content range. I've seen daily players who used to log upwards of 4 hours a day drop down to the occasional 30 minute login to clear a few bounties then depart. So, what is the problem and how can it be fixed with relatively little development time?

The issue is that this range of content used to be end-game, however, it is still treated as such. Whenever a level cap raise arrives, the previous high level content's experience requirements are usually dropped in conjunction. This did not happen with the introduction of the Blighted Isles as far as I'm aware. Thus, problem number 1 is the experience requirements for progression from 78 - 90. This is actually a pretty quick numbers tweak on the development side of things. It is not the only issue though.

Next is the linear nature of content. From levels 78 - 90 players only progress one zone at a time. As soon as they unlock the next zone and complete the 1 - 1.5 hours worth of new content within, they are then stuck from progressing further due to a level gate. For example:
  • Rye: Requires level 79
  • Dartrey Woods: Requires level 80
  • Pools of Andorra: Requires level 82
  • Glendergan: Requires level 84
  • Turnapin Peak: Requires level 86
  • Gortrin Passage: Requires level 88 (?)
  • Zorian: Requires level 89
The issue is that the amount of content that comes with each new zone you unlock isn't enough for even a single level. Actually, it's usually not even enough for half of a level. For instance, my Holy Priest on US1 is level 86 and only now have I decided to work on this content. I did the main quest and bounties in Dartrey Woods, Pools of Andorra and Glendergan. 3 zones! I did not gain a single level. That is with membership, bounty badges and pies as well. The amount of content in this range is lacking, and the EXP requirements require too much grinding. Players are falling off the radar due to the excessive level gating. The solution is to either increase the XP from the quests / bounties, or add more content for players to gain experience in.

A potential solution could be to level scale 3 specific zones. The Arcane Rift of Pyrron, Maldwyn's Tomb and Fungal Caverns of Basido. This would allow players to complete bounties and quests in those areas for additional XP. Perhaps even add a weekly quest in Rift. This is a great way to keep great content relevant and ease the grind on players.

The final suggestion which others have proposed is to add daily quests in each of the zones from 79 - 90. These zones are barren in activities once the bounties and main quest segment is complete. Having a few daily quests sprinkled in for additional XP gain will keep players much busier than their current 25 minute bounty sessions do.

Please post your own experiences and observations for this content as well as suggestions. We need to fix this content range or suffer the consequences of player retention drop-off.

Characters
Tiffa, Ruby Wolf
Platform
Android, PC
Kave what we need is more Daily quest and a lot more Side Quest in these Zones. Just running Bounties gets boring after awhile.
Having some long multizone Quest like the History of Pyrron 1 & 2 would help keep players intrested in playing as long as it is tied into unlocking the later zones and the Elder bosses.

Platform
PC
I personally know a lot of players that left the game as soon as they entered rye and dartrey because of this level lock... including myself i try keep my characters in low levels because of this... i did this content only once to zorian and never again in this way.... this need be changed for sure.. and even i noticed drastically xp lowering from quest for example in pyrron zones, traven and such... side quests, history of pyrrus and such quests seems like give a half lesser xp than before... so that make us leveling even slower

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox
Platform
iOS, PC
I posted about this in game suggestions forum some time ago, about adding daily quests or more side content. Even a rebirthed toon with RB buff is a painful grind.

Last time I rebirthed before blighted isles we could supplement the dungeons to break up the grind, now that doesn't happen.

Reactions: Allison Wonderland
  • Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
I think daily’s would help. But the amount you’d get would still be little to none in those zones. I remember before the Xp drop doing your main quest and all bounty’s for the first time would get you at least one Lvl so you really only had to grind 1 lvl before the next zone was unlocked. Now it’s a lvl and a half give or take. And honestly who wants to use badges there the only thing it gives is Xp. Iv always said they need another fungal zone there. Just use the zone they have placed in Pyrron . Change up the colors and maybe change up the bounty’s a bit to match those zones. And you have a bit of side content that helps with lvling through those zones. I don’t believe you’d even need daily’s in the thee zones. Just the one zone. Scaled unlocks at 80 maybe.

Reactions: Catori and CaraLox
  • Likex2

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna, Lord Villian
Platform
Android
I'm glad you brought this up! At the rate that these things are addressed I'm sure there will be some adjustments next year!

Reactions: ASDFGHJKLQWE and Pookey
  • Likex2

Raelin

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Raelin, Shandri Blaze, Kayle Fyrefly
Platform
iOS, Android
Actually, Gortrin unlocks at 87, and Zorian unlocks at 88. So I think that the really difficult range is 78-86. After that you have a zone per level. But I am totally agreed that this is the most horrific grind of this game.
My warrior is currently on rebirth, has AS membership and uses lvl 90 pies and buffs when questing and bounty hunting, and it still takes me 3-4 days to get through each of these zones. The grind is way too difficult with very little content to keep players interested. I understand that as you are getting into the end levels you don’t want to blow through them too quickly, but surely there is a better way to keep players ENGAGED during this grind?

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
It's one of the reasons I ended up with 5 toons.... One does the limited bounties in the 80's, the next toon does quests and other fun stuff, .... basically I have one toon at each level range --- 1-20, 20-30, 60-70, 80-90 and now one at Blighted :)

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
I really like the Idea.
The things that can be done to improve them easily and quickly is to change the bounty exp multiplier that change way too fast, that if the zone is 5 level under us the exp is barely anything, and so at those level we usually only have 3 Zone that have bounties that give decent exp.
Or just scrap the requirement to level up before going to the next zone, and it will make leveling up there much better already.

Reactions: Good2DBone and CaraLox
  • Likex2

Jolon

Adventurer
Characters
Jolon, Aeyan, Jenalya
Platform
iOS
I think there is a lot of potential within these zones (only having seen up to Pools thus far since I am in that grind for the first time). I absolutely love Copse & Coile (incidentally a duo name that I hereby trademark for future artistic shenanigans 😁); the phenomenal quest line kept me eager to engage, and the repetition of bounty hunting did not feel terribly grind-intense until I got to the Rye and had to go back so many times making my Copse path runnable while blindfolded juggling delicate glassware. After the great Treant-Spriggan war quest, I had high hopes that the kobolds in Pools would offer up a similar engaging experience, but alas, I have not seen that and it sounds like nothing is waiting for me to discover and then return. I also think there could be some interesting side quests from the kobolds, dailies and one-offs. They are bookies so why aren't they cultivating wagers and offering up timed quests for eager heroes? The Pools quest line is fun, but I resolved it so much more quickly than I thought it warrants. The central figure has a lot more pathos just waiting to be tapped.

Since I am in the middle of this level range, I also keep daydreaming about side zones akin to Maiden, another favorite zone with a plethora of quests. Mayhap something involving the minotaurs - Goldenvale taunts me with those minotaur invaders, I would love to see more of their culture beyond the peek we get in the Lair. And while I'm requesting cultural enrichment - more Verda! Would love to see a much larger gnomic cityscape. 👾

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
Android, PC
Well, I support a simple solution. New content is hard to do, and would be the best, but simple daily quests or level scaling existing content or removing the level requirement for accessing new zones would help a lot on the XP front and get folks through that area faster if they wanted to play a lot.

I guess the original idea of bounties is to prevent people who play a ton from running away from people who don't, though, so that's the only "downside".

But... from my standpoint, I want more players to make it through to level 95 and get to run the L95 elders with me!

Queeny

Citizen
Royal Guardian
Characters
Jenny The Brave ...
Platform
Android, PC
Tbh between level 1-40 (50) we are spoiled with xp (xp main q) and zones - there are so many of them. That is why we are grumpy whenever we hit a roadblock like not having enough zones to run to level up.

So yes we do need more content/zone (scaled). The easiest, imo, would be as suggested above: to scale up the Fungal to a level 80-84 zone.
Also let's not forget about BFG, a zone that has been neglected for years now :(

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
( I also think there could be some interesting side quests from the kobolds, dailies and one-offs. They are bookies so why aren't they cultivating wagers and offering up timed quests for eager heroes?
this

Good2DBone

Adventurer
Characters
Good2DBone (Hunter Priest etc)
Platform
PC
It's one of the reasons I ended up with 5 toons.... One does the limited bounties in the 80's, the next toon does quests and other fun stuff, .... basically I have one toon at each level range --- 1-20, 20-30, 60-70, 80-90 and now one at Blighted :)
That's what I do, also. When I hit the level required zones, I run that toon through three zones for bounties every day and then park them to play another toon. Eventually, the blocked toon will get enough exp to advance to the next zone where the same thing happens once again ... Run them through three zones for bounties then send them back to the farm while I play another. It's simply not worth bounty hunting more than three zones below the toon level as the experience gained does not justify the time spent. I don't know the solution to this mind-numbing grind but it is both frustrating and annoying. Maybe that's why I have six toons (Good2dBone Hunter, Good2dBone Priest, Good2dBone Warrior, Good2dBone Ice, Good2dBone Fire, and Good2dBone Shaman).

Reactions: Pookey and Zazie
  • Likex2

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
That's what I do, also. When I hit the level required zones, I run that toon through three zones for bounties every day and then park them to play another toon. Eventually, the blocked toon will get enough exp to advance to the next zone where the same thing happens once again ... Run them through three zones for bounties then send them back to the farm while I play another. It's simply not worth bounty hunting more than three zones below the toon level as the experience gained does not justify the time spent. I don't know the solution to this mind-numbing grind but it is both frustrating and annoying. Maybe that's why I have six toons (Good2dBone Hunter, Good2dBone Priest, Good2dBone Warrior, Good2dBone Ice, Good2dBone Fire, and Good2dBone Shaman).
here i thought i was 😜 crazy,keep resisting that sixth toon. I like your naming convention, wish i had planned mine ahead better.

Reactions: Good2DBone
  • Likex1