Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi, Everyone,

Our latest build has brought with it an unusual amount of lag. I just want to assure everyone that all hands are on deck working on this issue. We will keep you posted. You can likely expect a follow up fix-it patch as soon as we have diagnosed the root cause. So please just know that we are aware of just how severe the lag is, and hope to have a fix as soon as we can.

As always, thank you for your patience. We know the lag issue hardly makes for an enjoyable game playing experience, and we are eager to get this solved! As I said before, we will post with updates as we know more.

Thank you, Everyone.

Ghaal

Citizen
Characters
Ghaal, Baahl, Khaali, Fiona Ghaalene
Platform
iOS
Well, good thing you are working on the issue. Right now the game is for the special interested.
Ill take a few days off myself since the game is hardly playable.

Reactions: Perlio
  • Likex1

Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Last edited
Hey Everyone
We plan to push a build LIVE on June 22 to reduce the newly introduced lag. This will be a "server-only build" so it should be quick to push it (and you won't have to update to a new client).

Thanks!
Damon
p.s. By the way, this was a bit of a reverse-heisenbug: the new lag was probably introduced by the instrumentation we added to track lag. We kept this instrumentation, but switched to a method that is more performant.

p.p.s. For those who enjoy Python programming, we were calling a function inspect.getframeinfo( currentframe() ) to get the metadata to track file and line number (this is slow); and switched to sys._getframe(1).f_code.co_filename and .co_name for the metadata (this is about 100x faster than the former method).

p.p.p.s "Heisenbug": a bug that when you look for it, it goes away; but when you aren't looking for it, it presents itself. Named after Heisenberg, one of the physicists who studied light... Heisenbugs are hard to find. I'm sure some of the more technical players know why this type of bug is called a Heisenbug.

Platform
PC
Hey Everyone
We plan to push a build LIVE on June 22 to reduce the newly introduced lag.

Thanks!
Damon
p.s. By the way, this was a bit of a reverse-heisenbug: the new lag was probably introduced by the instrumentation we added to track lag. We kept this instrumentation, but switched to a method that is more performant.

p.p.s. For those who enjoy Python programming, we were calling a function inspect.getframeinfo( currentframe() ) to get the metadata to track file and line number (this is slow); and switched to sys._getframe(1).f_code.co_filename and .co_name for the metadata (this is about 100x faster than the former method).

p.p.p.s "Heisenbug": a bug that when you look for it, it goes away; but when you aren't looking for it, it presents itself. Named after Heisenberg, one of the physicists who studied light... Heisenbugs are hard to find. I'm sure some of the more technical players know why this type of bug is called a Heisenbug.
You lost me after "new build tomorrow".... but thanks to all the Otters for getting things straightened out!