SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
Android, PC
I wanted to post saying that it's ok to use sockets!

I have heard people saying they are going to save all their sockets until they are level 95 with 5 rebirths.

And.... that's crazy! :D Maybe don't use too many sockets for the first few levels, but definitely start socketting out your weapon in the 50's. It makes the game a ton more enjoyable to have more than 3 weapon abilities.

On armor and other gear pieces, it's nice to put one or two vitality and magic resist runes on some pieces. It really helps you survive better!

Don't get me wrong, when you're flying through the levels and not blocked at all, just carry on without sockets, but once things start to slow down a tad (40's or 50's?), it's nice to craft some gear and use some sockets to get all of your abilities!

P.S. it will realllly help you in scaled content (dungeons/event zones). People say "I can't help much, I'm only lvl 42" in EZ and dungeon, but really they mean "I can't help much, I haven't spent sockets". My lvl 42 warrior tanked the halloween bosses over some lvl 90+ lightning warriors, so it's not about your level! (The content is scaled after all.)

/end rant.

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
I wanted to post saying that it's ok to use sockets!

I have heard people saying they are going to save all their sockets until they are level 95 with 5 rebirths.

And.... that's crazy! :D Maybe don't use too many sockets for the first few levels, but definitely start socketting out your weapon in the 50's.
This is fairly common guidance given to newer players. Save your sockets! That is because end-game gear is very expensive socket-wise. Even if you simply want to upgrade an existing socketed slot, it'll cost you. There are 36 socketed slots total across gear, but due to how gnogmentation works, your average player will inadvertently use extra.

• For example, let's I have a piece of gear with 5 slots filled, one of them being with a Stormpower rune.
  • Next, I gnogment this item with another piece of gear which has a slightly more powerful Stormpower rune and a Savagery rune.
  • I want the Savagery rune (1 socket cost), but the gnogmentation interface will swap out my old Stormpower with the new Stormpower as well. Even if it is only 0.2% better. This will cost another socket unless I catch it. People usually don't catch this. They lose a lot of sockets to stuff like this :(

It makes the game a ton more enjoyable to have more than 3 weapon abilities.
It really does. This is why I believe abilities should not cost sockets. This isn't about min-maxing or increasing performance incrementally, this is about actually being able to engage in combat and fight! Ability Tree or bust!

P.S. it will realllly help you in scaled content (dungeons/event zones). People say "I can't help much, I'm only lvl 42" in EZ and dungeon, but really they mean "I can't help much, I haven't spent sockets". My lvl 42 warrior tanked the halloween bosses over some lvl 90+ lightning warriors, so it's not about your level! (The content is scaled after all.)
This is true, barring talents / rebirths and what-not. But the reality is that premium resources such as sockets are hoarded just like other premium resources. I know someone who has 200 sockets stashed and never used a single one besides for his weapon. He's level 95 with 5 rebirths. This is human nature, and even I hoard my sockets for this reason. Sockets and their relation to gear is actually very important, and I'm quoting one of my previous posts on the topic below.

Here is what I feel are the pros and cons of sockets:

Pros
  • They serve as a source of revenue for the developers. Obviously, revenue is a top priority
  • They act as an inhibitor to maxed out builds. Without sockets, everyone could be at max potential without much cost
  • They enhance the economy. Premium resources are good for the market
Cons
  • They nullify the depth of the gear system until end-game. Players are unable to explore and customize their builds without wasting these resources. This results in players who have no idea how to build their characters during end-game
  • They are an indirect pay wall. If players struggle through challenging content such as Pyrron, and have to spend sockets in order to progress, this will hurt them later on once they eventually run out. I know level 90+ players with less than 10 sockets because they blew them all while leveling. Guess what? I'm one of them, because I spent a ton when level 90 was the cap.
  • How do you balance content? Are we balancing content for maxed out builds or free to play players who don't use any sockets? Level 1 to 30 is fairly easy but difficulty ramps up in Traven and especially Pyrron. How do you balance content when the disparity between fully slotted and partially slotted players is so wide?
  • They potentially result in a net loss of revenue. I have seen responses on the Discord poll from newer players that they are quitting due to one of the above reasons. The lack of customizability without shooting yourself in the foot for once you reach end-game, or the progress wall once they cannot advance without spending sockets. Loss of customers means a loss of potential revenue.
Those are my opinions on Sockets. They aren't entirely evil nor good, but I feel the system could definitely be improved upon.

New players need to be eased into the system without punishing them for customizing their gear. Honestly, I find that to be the worst part. Customizing gear for a large chunk of the game is a waste... so are we really giving players a good impression of the gear system at all?

Potential solutions are tricky, since this is a revenue source. Maintaining that attribute should be the priority when discussing our options. Perhaps decrease the amount of free slots on gear based on its level?
  • Level 1 to 30: No sockets
  • Level 31 to 60: 2 sockets
  • Level 61 to 90: 4 sockets
This will ease players into the process and allow them the opportunity to actually experiment with their equipment. I am sure, with 36 sockets for a maxed out build, that most of the profit comes from end-game players. So, what is the harm in allowing new and mid level players some leeway? By the time they reach end-game, not only will they understand the ins and outs of the gear system, but they will likely have a solid stash of sockets remaining before having to purchase additional ones.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Whenever I hear someone say "Don't use sockets till at least level 75" or equivalent, I generally say "Start using sockets when you feel you need them."

Not only is the game more fun if, as you hit 50 + and it becomes slower and harder to level, you actually use some sockets to improve your gear, but stockpiling them till you reach 95 and giving up the game at 70 cos you can't stay alive is almost as sensible as stock piling loo roll over a virus ... oh, wait a sec ...

Reactions: Panthera, Zazie and Joleen
  • Hahax2
  • Likex1

Joleen

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Kavita, Katona, Chephirah
Platform
Android, PC
I've been saying this forever. All of my toons do quite well and it's not because I'm some genius. I use sockets.

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
Android, PC
Yeah, spending 36 every 5 levels does not sound good. But, I think people should spend 4-6 every 5 levels starting at 50. If you were spending crowns, that's 150 crowns ($9) for 30 sockets, so $9 for "25 levels" of sockets. But, there are a lot of free opportunities for sockets, too (leveling and elder restoration achievements), so that should stretch much father.

Jack13Renewed

Adventurer
Characters
Jack13Renewed, Actinus13
Platform
Android
Yes, I agree, if you need to use the sockets, use it. However, in my experience, I don't use it until lv75+ because you rarely don't level up too quickly here. During my rebirths, I ask for help when I see I need help. This is only because of my gear that I haven't updated yet. Blue crafted gear suffices to do most zones if you know the correct stats to choose off the base stats and the 2-4 runes you get with is okay. Maybe at lv25-35ish I add an aoe feat coz no longer single bounties, you vs 4-7 mobs now. Aswell as lv55+ pyrron having an aoe feat will defs help.

Reactions: chocaholic
  • Likex1

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
Android, PC
I think the other thing to think about is: once you're level 95 with 5 rebirths, how much are you going to play?

I've seen quite a few get there, get their gear, do the level 95 elders a couple times, then that's it. They're off for a while or off to play an alt.

So, have fun now, use a few sockets! (and make the dungeons easier on yourself!)

Reactions: Joleen and Zazie
  • Likex2

Andral

BRA Member
Platform
iOS, PC
I do tell people not to use sockets until at least Pyrron - and I add that by then you have a sense of the worth of things. Players in the first month (and the first levels) get the impression that sockets are plentiful. So, when they post "how do I get more sockets", many feel a bit cheated to find out they've already wasted many of the ones they'll get. And, then the hoard them.

Perhaps an analysis of how many sockets a FTP player can reasonably expect to get with some kind of budget to using them would be helpful. And, with the information on dollar cost for sockets in that analysis (mentioned in a previous post. good information), people can make the decision when/where it makes sense to "use a few sockets"

BTW - I have seen people make the decision that since they are not FTP, sockets are cheap. They use them all the time from a very early level. It is more fun with sockets.

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
I consider Dawnfire’s guide to be ‘required reading’ for any new player that wants to make informed decisions on when/how many sockets they should spend.

Five stars. Would recommend.

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1

Andral

BRA Member
Platform
iOS, PC
Dawnfire, nicely done. exactly the kind of analysis needed to make socket decisions. I'm going to change my recommendations now. Still "don't use sockets until you know what they're worth", but I'll point people to your analysis to accelerate that knowledge - along with Kave's comment that people use more than they intended

Reactions: Dawnfire
  • Likex1