Elijah Lin

Lumineer
Characters
Fairy Prince Eli
Platform
  1. iOS
Last edited
Hi, everyone, theres a huge discussion on the wc this evening about Earth Shaman skills… are they physical or magical?

It was prompted since ppl were hitting Prisma and it had Arcane! Dampening 30% magical dmg!!

And to this question, is earth shaman skills considered all physical or magical or half? Does anyone know?

I know some ppl already said on the skill descriptions, it says earth. (For sure on mobile but thats very vague) And on the pc, I hear they can see if its magical or physical.

I am intrigued to know. Is it a fact or speculations? I always thought Earth Shaman were physical dmg class until someone told they were magic! 😳 (shock)

Thanks!

Reactions: Xantia
  • Likex1

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
The game implies magical because warriors feat tool tips say specifically on them physical damage and other classes say there damage type as there mastery type. However I have tested earth shaman using the bounties in the Minotaurs lair (they get trinket effects including the ones that get immunity to specifically physical and magical damage) and can confirm that earth damage is physical.

Devs might want to look at feat tool tips and clean this up a bit.

Elijah Lin

Lumineer
Characters
Fairy Prince Eli
Platform
  1. iOS
The game implies magical because warriors feat tool tips say specifically on them physical damage and other classes say there damage type as there mastery type. However I have tested earth shaman using the bounties in the Minotaurs lair (they get trinket effects including the ones that get immunity to specifically physical and magical damage) and can confirm that earth damage is physical.

Devs might want to look at feat tool tips and clean this up a bit.
Oh yes! Thats pretty good way to test if something is considered magical or physical! The minotaur lair… 🥹 Good one, Anta!

(Quietly sneaks over to the minotaur lair to do some shady expriements)

Reactions: Antavious
  • Likex1

Heisi

Shaman
Platform
  1. Steam
Earth damage is treated as physical damage.
An Earth Shaman with 30 points in Erosion converts almost entirely the damage taken into earth damage. As a result you can clearly see on the damage charts under the category "magical damage taken" that the Earth Shaman tank takes less magical damage throughout an elder run as the other classes and an enormous amount of physical damage (as long as this Shaman is the main tank^^). That is because despite receiving actually more magical damage as the other players it is almost entirely converted into earth damage (physical).

Reactions: Alfred and Elijah Lin
  • Likex1
  • Wowx1

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
This explanation will be a bit confusing, but it will answer the question about earth and all other types of damage as well.

The short version is that there are 3 major types of damage (physical, magical, and void) and earth happens to fall into the "physical" type. So you will deal less damage to enemies resistant to physical damage and enemies with the Steeled affix on them.

The long version is that there are 3 damage types and [at least] 13 elements. Each element falls under one of the 3 damage types as follows:
  1. Physical type
    • Earth
    • Fury (exists in code only - their damage is physical element)
    • Physical
    • Marksman (exists in code only - their damage is physical element)
  2. Magical type
    • Fire
    • Ice
    • Holy
    • Lightning (exists in code only - their damage is physical element, which is just plain weird to me)
    • Nature
    • Shadow
    • Water
  3. Void type
    • Void (this element is essentially "pure damage", ignoring all resistances)
    • Threat (the game treats it as damage that doesn't remove health points)
You only see the void type in a couple of enemies. I believe one of them is the level 40 elder (Ux? I think.) and there is one other but I have completely forgotten what it is. You also see void damage in the Voidstrike effect. Threat is done by pretty much everything, but is a hidden value for all but certain Earth Shaman and Lightning Warrior abilities and maybe a weird ability here and there I'm not thinking of.

I guess you could have Void and Threat be different types (really those are their own beasts), but they are virtually identical from the game's perspective. The only difference is that threat causes a number to go up (which is used to determine enemy attack priorities) whereas void damage is just like any other damage.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
  1. PC
Once upon a time, back in the dim and distant past, the various sub-classes did different types of damage.

My memory is more than a little hazy about the details but in fact, I think it was a bit more complicated back then, in that priests for example did physical melee damage with their mace and either holy or shadow from feats (or both of course). Hunters had physical and poison (rather than nature as it is now) and I think the lightning feats of warriors may have been different from the physical effects of their swords. At some later stage the various types listed above were "simplified" into just two types - magical and physical type. (Excluding water and earth, since this was before the Shaman class came out of hiding.)

From the perspective of most players the major significance was that holy priests had a big advantage against undead mobs (which helped make up for them being painfully slow fighting anything else) and ice wizards had a really hard time in shiverspine since many of the mobs were immune to ice damage. On the plus side, Vesessia back then was VERY vulnerable to ice, so for a short while during Vale, every ladder run wanted an ice wiz along. I don't think there was really much difference in practice between for example fire and shadow damage, but I pretty much played holy priest, ice wiz and defender warrior back then, so those are the ones I remember.

I actually think it is a shame the different types were "simplified" but such is progress.

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
  1. PC
I remember hunters arrows only flew in straight lines. Small hills, trees and other things would block there shots. I think many of the other features where "simplified", because we wanted to solo zones. A fire wiz could burn a tree mob, where a warriors blade could not cut the bark. We all wanted to be able to kill everything.

Reactions: Zazie
  • Likex1

Illuthas

Wizard
Platform
  1. PC
You only see the void type in a couple of enemies. I believe one of them is the level 40 elder (Ux? I think.) and there is one other but I have completely forgotten what it is
I have a distinct recollection of getting 1-shotted by a 300k+ void attack. That kind of thing is more common in raids but i cant remember void being an issue there. The most likely culprit would be Hox. I know that he can kill you even if you stack armour and hp way beyond what you need anywhere else.

Reactions: Elijah Lin
  • Likex1

Elijah Lin

Lumineer
Characters
Fairy Prince Eli
Platform
  1. iOS
Earth damage is treated as physical damage.
An Earth Shaman with 30 points in Erosion converts almost entirely the damage taken into earth damage. As a result you can clearly see on the damage charts under the category "magical damage taken" that the Earth Shaman tank takes less magical damage throughout an elder run as the other classes and an enormous amount of physical damage (as long as this Shaman is the main tank^^). That is because despite receiving actually more magical damage as the other players it is almost entirely converted into earth damage (physical).
Wowy… that make sense! I havent really looked into the erosion description in detail about converting everything into earth dmg (which is physical rather than magical or even converting magical into physical) 😳 Bravo! 🥳

Thanks everyone for chipping in some great insight about class type and how things were simplified 💀 Who’d think it was all mere complicated before 🤷🏻‍♂️ And those knowledge now, forgotten or not ever passed on 👀 Its great to read 🥰

SprigOfHalcyon

Master Farmer
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
My memory is more than a little hazy about the details but in fact, I think it was a bit more complicated back then, in that priests for example did physical melee damage with their mace and either holy or shadow from feats (or both of course).
Ah yes, I remember sitting there casting heal over and over until I got it to proc holy ardor, then walking up to smack the enemy with a melee smite.