Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi, Everyone,

This post is to help clear up some confusion on a number of different topics surrounding the event zone.

First off, I can tell you that the Twilight Vale will not be leaving before August 24th. (It will either leave on the 24th, or after that, but definitely not before then.)

Instances. This has been a hot topic of debate. To be clear: instances were added to the game for the purpose of helping to reduce lag in event zones. (i.e., when one instance is crowded with people, a second instance opens up so that another large group of players can partake of the zone as well.)

If players hop back and forth between instances -- utilizing a mechanism that we put into the game -- it is not considered an exploit. HOWEVER, if players deliberately keep and hide toons in the second instance for the sole purpose of keeping it open when otherwise the instance would not be, we do consider it an exploit. Players who do this will be temporarily kicked from the game.

We do understand that hopping back and forth between instances for double rewards does indeed create issues of unfairness. So, though we will not be making any more changes to the Vale at this time, in the next event zone (and the ones after), we will be implementing cooldown timers on the boss rewards which will entirely remove the incentive to channel hop.

A few other things, we will most likely be adding/changing with the next event zones:
  • Main EZ bosses will not have random spawn points, but fixed ones
  • System messages will be in yellow (or another distinctly visible color) instead of white, and will not blend in with world chat
  • The broadcast messages will possibly be increased by a few more minutes, giving players more time.
  • Travel to Event Zones will be free for all players

I put ‘most likely’ in italics, because of course nothing is one hundred percent certain at the time of writing this, but those are some of the issues we do hope to be addressing with the next event zone.

Lastly, to avoid any confusion on this subject: When we added the five minute broadcast alert for Prisma’s spawn time, it was done so that the moment she spawns, all players may start attacking should they choose to and nobody should have to wait, or force others to wait. So please do not chastise players for doing what they are allowed to do. Thank you!

(As mentioned above, in the next event zone, we plan on implementing mechanisms to help smooth this all out even more.)

Thanks, Everyone!

Rohana

Adventurer
Characters
Rohana - Romilly
Platform
PC, Steam
System messages will be in yellow (or another distinctly visible color) instead of white, and will not blend in with world chat
my suggestion for the color: something purple, next to the chat colors of the moderators, maybe for all system messages like reboots and such.
Thanks for thinking of solutions to make EZ maps more fun!

Reactions: High Inquisitor
  • Likex1

Chloe Mare

Citizen
Platform
Android
Hi, Everyone,

This post is to help clear up some confusion on a number of different topics surrounding the event zone.

First off, I can tell you that the Twilight Vale will not be leaving before August 24th. (It will either leave on the 24th, or after that, but definitely not before then.)

Instances. This has been a hot topic of debate. To be clear: instances were added to the game for the purpose of helping to reduce lag in event zones. (i.e., when one instance is crowded with people, a second instance opens up so that another large group of players can partake of the zone as well.)

If players hop back and forth between instances -- utilizing a mechanism that we put into the game -- it is not considered an exploit. HOWEVER, if players deliberately keep and hide toons in the second instance for the sole purpose of keeping it open when otherwise the instance would not be, we do consider it an exploit. Players who do this will be temporarily kicked from the game.

We do understand that hopping back and forth between instances for double rewards does indeed create issues of unfairness. So, though we will not be making any more changes to the Vale at this time, in the next event zone (and the ones after), we will be implementing cooldown timers on the boss rewards which will entirely remove the incentive to channel hop.

A few other things, we will most likely be adding/changing with the next event zones:
  • Main EZ bosses will not have random spawn points, but fixed ones
  • System messages will be in yellow (or another distinctly visible color) instead of white, and will not blend in with world chat
  • The broadcast messages will possibly be increased by a few more minutes, giving players more time.
  • Travel to Event Zones will be free for all players

I put ‘most likely’ in italics, because of course nothing is one hundred percent certain at the time of writing this, but those are some of the issues we do hope to be addressing with the next event zone.

Lastly, to avoid any confusion on this subject: When we added the five minute broadcast alert for Prisma’s spawn time, it was done so that the moment she spawns, all players may start attacking should they choose to and nobody should have to wait, or force others to wait. So please do not chastise players for doing what they are allowed to do. Thank you!

(As mentioned above, in the next event zone, we plan on implementing mechanisms to help smooth this all out even more.)

Thanks, Everyone!
What about those who arrive late because they login after 5 minute notice was given, or aren't in position yet to attack Prisma, and end up dying from Prisma's rain of fire,and get no credit for her? Wouldn't it be good form to give a small period to ready themselves? It doesn't seem fair in a communal game for a select few to make this game unenjoyable for many because they can't wait for everyone who wants to attack her.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
What about those who arrive late because they login after 5 minute notice was given, or aren't in position yet to attack Prisma, and end up dying from Prisma's rain of fire,and get no credit for her? Wouldn't it be good form to give a small period to ready themselves? It doesn't seem fair in a communal game for a select few to make this game unenjoyable for many because they can't wait for everyone who wants to attack her.
The trouble is, if you apply that logic, you wait forever.

What about the people who logged in 2 minutes after she spawned? Shouldn't we wait 3 minutes for them? But then what about those who logged in three minutes after? It just goes on forever.

There is a message - from then you have 5 minutes to get to her. If you log in less than 5 minutes before she spawns, then that unfortunately is just bad luck, just as it is for those who log in 10 seconds after she dies. At least with the former case you might still get there and get credit for the kill.

Chloe Mare

Citizen
Platform
Android
The trouble is, if you apply that logic, you wait forever.

What about the people who logged in 2 minutes after she spawned? Shouldn't we wait 3 minutes for them? But then what about those who logged in three minutes after? It just goes on forever.

There is a message - from then you have 5 minutes to get to her. If you log in less than 5 minutes before she spawns, then that unfortunately is just bad luck, just as it is for those who log in 10 seconds after she dies. At least with the former case you might still get there and get credit for the kill.
No im not talking about players who login after she spawned, that's just stupid, im talking players who login between the 5 minute warning and her spawning... Its not fair to all who need her for a few select who think just because they've been playing long they don't have to give all an opportunity.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
No im not talking about players who login after she spawned, that's just stupid, im talking players who login between the 5 minute warning and her spawning... Its not fair to all who need her for a few select who think just because they've been playing long they don't have to give all an opportunity.
Yes, but you are talking about people who log in after the message, which is practically the same thing. The message is your 5 minute warning. Why should those who were there for the warning and subsequently are there in time for her spawn have to wait for people who weren't even logged in 5 minutes before?

Reactions: Rohana and Clonkie
  • Likex2

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I have had that happen a good number of times; I log in and miss Prisma, that is going to happen no matter how long we wait, no matter how many messages get posted in chat. I just wait for the next one :)

Mad Otter has installed a warning system and players are helping out by also posting in chat to let people know. The way we used to do it was: wait for Prisma to spawn and post in chat (if we remembered) and wait 5 minutes (if people were so inspired to do) then kill Prisma. People missed being there then too, that's going to happen no matter what system is used.

Chloe Mare

Citizen
Platform
Android
Yes, but you are talking about people who log in after the message, which is practically the same thing. The message is your 5 minute warning. Why should those who were there for the warning and subsequently are there in time for her spawn have to wait for people who weren't even logged in 5 minutes before?
Fair play, its that simple, im not saying wait 2 minutes or more either, I'm saying just waiting for a moment to have everyone in zone in position ready to attack, now you're just being ignorant to the fact that the game isn't just about a select few, if you're in zone you shouldn't have to die while shes being attacked because you weren't as close as others, and not get credit.

Chloe Mare

Citizen
Platform
Android
Fair play, its that simple, im not saying wait 2 minutes or more either, I'm saying just waiting for a moment to have everyone in zone in position ready to attack, now you're just being ignorant to the fact that the game isn't just about a select few, if you're in zone you shouldn't have to die while shes being attacked because you weren't as close as others, and not get credit.
I've logged on after the 5 minute warning, requested an eta, ported into zone just before she popped and by the time I got to her she was under attack by a select few, while others were cordially waiting for all the dots to converge, and those that were being courteous and ended up perishing from her rain of fire, were unable to receive credit for her kill and received nothing

Sewer

Master Grubber
Platform
PC
Bad luck is sometimes unavoidable and because there is no perfect system to address all concerns, there are going to be times where players just miss out. The bright side is that Prisma will re-spawn in approximately 70 minutes. Anyone can set a timer and make another attempt.

chocaholic

Great Adventurer
Platform
Android, PC
Thank you Sarah for clarifying the timer system, there has been much discussion about wait times for Prisma. This is now clearly written for all players to follow and hoping the debates ease now. Happy gaming all.

Black_Cvlt

Arch Wizard
Characters
Danger Zone, Black Cvlt, Coup de Grace, Crafty Hands
Platform
Android, PC
and ended up perishing from her rain of fire, were unable to receive credit for her kill and received nothing
If you have big problems with survivability, 1) Click on Prisma to track her hp; 2) Stay far from the boss in a safe area, and come closer on 20-10% hp.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
Maybe we can have a /prisma command or something so that we can check when the next prisma spawn in on demand?
If something like this could be added, I feel it would be ideal if we could have the option/display on the character select screen, once you have chosen your server. Next best thing would be a chat command, once you have actually logged into a server. (I view the option to be able to see her spawn timer on demand as further tweaks to an already improved, yet still a WIP system.) :)

And I am SO looking forward to having the consistent spawn locations!!! That will cut down on so much of the headache and heartache. :love:

Reactions: Kaydee
  • Likex1

Jytal

Servant of Mallok
Platform
iOS
I have some ideas I believe will help but of course have pros and cons.
1) Instead of a message that Prisma is spawning in 5 or whatever minutes, have a permanent timer displayed on the world map next to the event zone (or anywhere). This would allow people who logged in at any time, even people right after the message was sent out or a minute before spawn, know when she is spawning and can port to the zone as needed.
If the idea of a permanent timer is not liked, have it start after the 5 minute message instead. One of my problems with the message is that I frequently log in between the time of the message and the timer. Because the system message is in place, not many people inform others that she is spawning soon thus, a player who could've easily been in the zone misses it. (Or have multiple messages ie, 5, 2, 1 minutes)
2) Create a new zone just for Prisma and similar event bosses which people enter through a system invitation. This is my first event and I have no idea if this is even possible and regardless would need more resources to do so please criticize this idea and make it better. Let me better explain this idea, 5 minutes before a boss spawns, an system wide invitation is sent to everyone playing and will stay active unless closed or the boss spawns (for people who log in this is the first thing they see). In the invitation it says boss is spawning, click okay to challenge. After clicking okay, the player is ported to a special boss zone where people gather, if there are too many people, it will automatically send players to a second hop. After a few minutes, the boss then spawns, players challenge the boss, and once defeated or 10 minutes pass, the zone releases the players back to where they were.
With this invitation, there is no early kills/leeroys, removes hopping for multiple boss rewards, and anyone who logged in during that period will undoubtedly know about the boss happening. The problems with this is creating a new zone for this and the invitation/loading to the zone.

Rizzo Celestone

Bog Frog
Characters
Rizzo, Azzurra, Menolly, Mysty
Platform
Android, PC
My issue is that those with basic slower mounts, like my 2 young grandsons and those that have trouble navigating the terrain, like me, even when we arrive to the vale before Prisma shows still get there after others have started and die before we can get ready and it's over by the time we get back to her. What was my favorite event zone has become a nightmare this year. All the bickering, fighting and people not willing to help make sure everyone can get to Prisma before firing the 1st shot. What has happened to our family friendly community?

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
Instead of a message that Prisma is spawning in 5 or whatever minutes, have a permanent timer displayed on the world map next to the event zone (or anywhere). This would allow people who logged in at any time, even people right after the message was sent out or a minute before spawn, know when she is spawning and can port to the zone as needed.
Earlier today, I was very happy that I had set myself a 70 minute Prisma timer, as I was switching toons when the system message popped up. If I hadn't set my own personal timer, I wouldn't have had any idea that she was going to spawn in 5 minutes.

It's also worth noting that if the system message pops up while you're zoning, you won't see it then either.

Just two minor details that are worth noting. :)