Paper Tiger

Squirrel
Characters
Paramol, Druadan, Kej
Platform
  1. iOS
I recently read a post on here regarding a specific problem for holy priest on mobile :-
Firstly only being able to see 4 party members so problems selecting the right person to heal.
Secondly, the big spell button in the bottom right corner becoming a speech button instead of a heal spell when targeting a friendly player.

This was described as almost game breaking for holy priest on mobile ui at endgame.

I don’t wanna level all that way to find that it’s a huge problem at endgame, as I play exclusively on phone and iPad.
Could any full time holy priest using mobile UI please weigh in regarding whether this is a big problem?
TIA

Doorena

Squirrel
Characters
Doorena (fire wizard), Tahana (holy priest), Liza Doorlittle (earth shaman)
Platform
  1. iOS
I am a full holy priest at level 95. You can now select targets from the chart on the right hand side thanks to the efforts of Sean. It's still troublesome because you can't watch everyone's health and for some situations, an open chart can cause bad lag. That being said, it's been a fantastic update that has really changed my healing game for the better.
And yes, sometimes you open whispers to your target and it's annoying. I'm getting pretty good at not doing that now though.
I wouldn't say any of that is game breaking for me and I play on an iPad. I find healing pretty fun and most of the time when players die in my group it's because we have an imbalanced group or the player doesn't dodge big damage. But we all have our different play styles and frustrations. Compared to water shaman (word of warning: my water shaman is still quite small and hasn't raided so my experience is limited), I would say holy priests excel as tank healers and water shamans as group healers.

Paper Tiger

Squirrel
Characters
Paramol, Druadan, Kej
Platform
  1. iOS
I am a full holy priest at level 95. You can now select targets from the chart on the right hand side thanks to the efforts of Sean. It's still troublesome because you can't watch everyone's health and for some situations, an open chart can cause bad lag. That being said, it's been a fantastic update that has really changed my healing game for the better.
And yes, sometimes you open whispers to your target and it's annoying. I'm getting pretty good at not doing that now though.
I wouldn't say any of that is game breaking for me and I play on an iPad. I find healing pretty fun and most of the time when players die in my group it's because we have an imbalanced group or the player doesn't dodge big damage. But we all have our different play styles and frustrations. Compared to water shaman (word of warning: my water shaman is still quite small and hasn't raided so my experience is limited), I would say holy priests excel as tank healers and water shamans as group healers.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I’m really relieved to hear that you don’t find it game breaking. It was the accidental whisper that was most concerning for me, but I guess when I get there I will learn not to do it :)

Ademo

Citizen
Characters
Ademo, Erolisi, Phileas
Platform
  1. iOS
That "game-breaking" comment might well have been me. Different strokes for different folks. If someone can work-around it, much respect to them. I've killed so many people by "whisper death" I don't subject other players to my ineptitude anymore.
I cannot conceive of a realistic situation where whispers are of such importance that it supersedes the use of your primary skill button. The frustration is half severity of the consequences, and half principle of the stupidity of the function.
I was leveling my Holy Priest back from the 90 RB, and in truth, just not having fun this time around. I stalled out at 45, choosing to play my Warrior tank or Nature Hunter. Poor Ademo is a farmer now.

Reactions: Mudcart
  • Likex1

Paper Tiger

Squirrel
Characters
Paramol, Druadan, Kej
Platform
  1. iOS
That "game-breaking" comment might well have been me. Different strokes for different folks. If someone can work-around it, much respect to them. I've killed so many people by "whisper death" I don't subject other players to my ineptitude anymore.
I cannot conceive of a realistic situation where whispers are of such importance that it supersedes the use of your primary skill button. The frustration is half severity of the consequences, and half principle of the stupidity of the function.
I was leveling my Holy Priest back from the 90 RB, and in truth, just not having fun this time around. I stalled out at 45, choosing to play my Warrior tank or Nature Hunter. Poor Ademo is a farmer now.
Ademo it wasn’t you I was referring to, so maybe take small comfort in knowing that you are far from alone in your frustrations with the “whispering death”.
Maybe, just maybe the devs might add it to the list of things to fix, as I know it’s been raised by others.

Ademo

Citizen
Characters
Ademo, Erolisi, Phileas
Platform
  1. iOS
Last edited
Ademo it wasn’t you I was referring to, so maybe take small comfort in knowing that you are far from alone in your frustrations with the “whispering death”.
Maybe, just maybe the devs might add it to the list of things to fix, as I know it’s been raised by others.
I hate to say this, because it sounds overly pessimistic, but:
You can find threads discussing this going back YEARS. There was a thread from something like 2018? 2019? that was recently revived discussing it. The frustration isn't new, but it is apparently falling on deaf ears.

I can appreciate that there is more nuance to it than "just kill that function", because it is a primary function to interact with NPCs- questgivers and vendors, but whispering to other players is badly implemented, if for no other reason than it plainly eliminates the "big primary skill button" for anyone tossing heals.

Can you imagine the outcry of rage and frustration if tanks and DPS had to play using only the 'small buttons', and accidentally tapping the big right-hand button opened a chat with the boss, rendering your screen blocked and you were unable to move?
Edit: tanks and dps get 9 buttons to put skills in, why do priests only get 8, because the big right-hand button has to be a 'throwaway DPS' and all the heals are small buttons on the edge?

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
Bear in mind that V&H began as a web browser game that grew into a PC game.
A very small but talented group continued to develop and expand the game, eventually reaching the point where it became available for mobile devices. It was the first in this industry to offer true cross-platform capability where you could play the same account on more than one device, all within the same community of fellow players. That, in and of itself, is quite an accomplishment. It's even more of an accomplishment when you consider the fact that it was achieved well in advance of much larger companies that poured significant resources into accomplishing the very same thing. Many of them still haven't gotten it right and many others have abandoned any pretext of accomplishing it.

The first mobile players to come to V&H had to contend with the fact that mobile devices could not offer the same functionality as those playing on PC. Since then, the compatibility between devices has steadily improved and remains a work in progress. Yes, this is an old issue, but let's not lose sight of the many other issues that have been resolved since mobile was first introduced. The current state of mobile play is vastly superior to its first rendition and continues to improve.

I'm aware that problems persist, but I'm impressed at how small the remaining number of problems are. V&H has come much farther, much faster, than I ever imagined a team of this size would be able to accomplish. Yes, it's hard to be patient when an annoying problem persists, but I'm confident that this team continues to seek resolutions for those problems, all while continuing to expand and improve upon the existing game. If I felt otherwise, I would be among the first in line to offer criticism. Thus far, I feel no need to join that line.

Paper Tiger

Squirrel
Characters
Paramol, Druadan, Kej
Platform
  1. iOS
Bear in mind that V&H began as a web browser game that grew into a PC game.
A very small but talented group continued to develop and expand the game, eventually reaching the point where it became available for mobile devices. It was the first in this industry to offer true cross-platform capability where you could play the same account on more than one device, all within the same community of fellow players. That, in and of itself, is quite an accomplishment. It's even more of an accomplishment when you consider the fact that it was achieved well in advance of much larger companies that poured significant resources into accomplishing the very same thing. Many of them still haven't gotten it right and many others have abandoned any pretext of accomplishing it.

The first mobile players to come to V&H had to contend with the fact that mobile devices could not offer the same functionality as those playing on PC. Since then, the compatibility between devices has steadily improved and remains a work in progress. Yes, this is an old issue, but let's not lose sight of the many other issues that have been resolved since mobile was first introduced. The current state of mobile play is vastly superior to its first rendition and continues to improve.

I'm aware that problems persist, but I'm impressed at how small the remaining number of problems are. V&H has come much farther, much faster, than I ever imagined a team of this size would be able to accomplish. Yes, it's hard to be patient when an annoying problem persists, but I'm confident that this team continues to seek resolutions for those problems, all while continuing to expand and improve upon the existing game. If I felt otherwise, I would be among the first in line to offer criticism. Thus far, I feel no need to join that line.
I totally agree that the game is awesome. I have huge respect for the devs and what they achieve. I love that they remain in touch with the player base and that they haven’t resorted to quickly bleeding the game dry through the iap greed that other games have. The reason I started the thread was because I was concerned when I saw that other players had raised concerns over the ui on mobile for healers. Even though I’ve poured countless hours into the game I haven’t experienced group healing yet, and I was basically checking that I’m not wasting my time levelling a holy priest on mobile and iPad. I hope that makes sense, and since I raised the question I’ve been reassured that it’s not “game breaking” so I’ve continued to enjoy levelling my holy priest :)

Reactions: Littlenymph
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
  1. PC
  2. Steam
I totally agree that the game is awesome. I have huge respect for the devs and what they achieve. I love that they remain in touch with the player base and that they haven’t resorted to quickly bleeding the game dry through the iap greed that other games have. The reason I started the thread was because I was concerned when I saw that other players had raised concerns over the ui on mobile for healers. Even though I’ve poured countless hours into the game I haven’t experienced group healing yet, and I was basically checking that I’m not wasting my time levelling a holy priest on mobile and iPad. I hope that makes sense, and since I raised the question I’ve been reassured that it’s not “game breaking” so I’ve continued to enjoy levelling my holy priest :)
Thanks for that comment. :)

Just to be clear, My comment was in no way based on anything that you posted.
You asked an honest question, brought attention to an existing issue, and did so in a polite and constructive manner. That's a big part of what the forums are for.

I'm glad you are enjoying the game thus far and hope you will continue to do so as your character progresses.
I'm not on US1 as much since the character migration but still visit there on a regular basis. Feel free to give me a shout if you see any "Littlenymphs" wandering around the Realms.

PS: That's a very cool forum handle you picked there. Just sayin' ;)

Reactions: Paper Tiger
  • Likex1