Brother Alf

Squirrel
Characters
Brother Alf
Platform
iOS
Last edited
Usually when an update is done, they wait until after they have received approvals from Apple and Google before they push it to live. So, whether it happens on Friday or not, it's not an issue . Devs have stated (repeatedly) that what happened on Friday was supposed to be a Hotfix - not an update.... but, they made a mistake and it became an update instead.

In short, they already have a system in place to avoid extended outages for mobile users (including ios). They have taken accountability. I don't know what else you're looking for. A mistake happened. The results were devastating. The devs have taken responsibility. The devs have offered a generous compensation package. The game is currently up and running for all.
I thought we were closing the thread?
*Takes a sledgehammer to the soapbox*

Reactions: IrishElf and CaraLox
  • Likex1
  • Hahax1

Slaybelle

Lumineer
Platform
iOS
Usually when an update is done, they wait until after they have received approvals from Apple and Google before they push it to live. So, whether it happens on Friday or not, it's not an issue . Devs have stated (repeatedly) that what happened on Friday was supposed to be a Hotfix - not an update.... but, they made a mistake and it became an update instead.

In short, they already have a system in place to avoid extended outages for mobile users (including ios). They have taken accountability. I don't know what else you're looking for. A mistake happened. The results were devastating. The devs have taken responsibility. The devs have offered a generous compensation package. The game is currently up and running for all.
Please point me toward where it was stated that they have a plan in place to ensure extended outages will be avoided for mobile users moving forward. Commitment to word is what I'm looking for. Otherwise I'm not renewing my membership or ever buying more crowns to invest in supporting this business. I see no reason for other players to be upset at me for not wanting to waste my time and money on products that are unreliable. That is just unfathomable. Just play your own game and move on if you disagree. Thank you to the devs for the gifts that were allotted, but I am cautiously moving forward in the coming months and will decrease time and energy spent if bugs continue to hinder performance in such a way that makes the game unplayable for days on end.

Reactions: Brother Alf
  • Likex1
Platform
PC
Please point me toward where it was stated that they have a plan in place to ensure extended outages will be avoided for mobile users moving forward. Commitment to word is what I'm looking for. Otherwise I'm not renewing my membership or ever buying more crowns to invest in supporting this business. I see no reason for other players to be upset at me for not wanting to waste my time and money on products that are unreliable. That is just unfathomable. Just play your own game and move on if you disagree. Thank you to the devs for the gifts that were allotted, but I am cautiously moving forward in the coming months and will decrease time and energy spent if bugs continue to hinder performance in such a way that makes the game unplayable for days on end.
I understand your frustration. And how you choose to spend your hard earned $$ is completely up to you (and no one should argue with you about it!). I can't point you to where anything was stated - I believe the decision to not push builds until approval was received was posted on the old forums, which don't exist anymore due to hackers. I can only tell you what the normal policy is. And I can only tell you that sometimes people make mistakes (which is what happened here).

Anyway, the only reason that I even replied was to let you know that there is a policy in place. If that policy is not enough, that is your decision. I'm in no position to argue :) I do hope that you will reconsider, but as I said, I can understand the frustration. Best of luck to you :)

Reactions: Slaybelle
  • Likex1

Slaybelle

Lumineer
Platform
iOS
I understand your frustration. And how you choose to spend your hard earned $$ is completely up to you (and no one should argue with you about it!). I can't point you to where anything was stated - I believe the decision to not push builds until approval was received was posted on the old forums, which don't exist anymore due to hackers. I can only tell you what the normal policy is. And I can only tell you that sometimes people make mistakes (which is what happened here).

Anyway, the only reason that I even replied was to let you know that there is a policy in place. If that policy is not enough, that is your decision. I'm in no position to argue :) I do hope that you will reconsider, but as I said, I can understand the frustration. Best of luck to you :)
Thank you for your kind respond to my genuine and valid inquiry. It is greatly appreciated. I will keep this in mind moving forward.

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC

actually it was more recent, but it was a live stream.

Reactions: Slaybelle
  • Likex1

Rauchan5

Citizen
Platform
iOS
The update is in apple store. Finally you came along. They way I feel about update keeps me moving along.

Belles Helles

BRA Member
Characters
Belles Helles, Bella Black, BellaShay
Platform
Android
Also, I just want to make something clear because I have heard there is some worry about this: we will of course absolutely be extending the crown sale to accommodate all of today.
Thank you so much for the gifts ❤ 🧡 💛

Will the crown sale be back for people to purchase crowns? It isn't active any longer.

Eryl Dyorn

Priest
Characters
Eryl Dyorn, Tyrelian, Eryl Lightcaster, Jym Strongheart
Platform
iOS
Thank you Otter staff for working over this holiday weekend to ensure we IOS players are able to play. Shalom

Sanshea

Hunter
Characters
Sanshea
Platform
iOS, Android
Wanted to say thank you for all the hard work and for getting iOS back up and running and for the cool gifts! So kind! “Bows”:)

Celinia

Wizard
Characters
Celinia
Platform
Android, PC
Hi, Everyone. iOS is back up. I will be starting another thread shortly regarding compensation.
Thank you for all the goodies as well as your hard work to straighten out the mistakes asap. ❤

Have a happy Memorial Day!

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Thanks for sticking in there until the job was done.
Hope you managed to salvage a bit of the weekend.

Tiberius

Neonga Nation
Forum Moderator

Perlio

Servant of Mallok
I have been an advocate for over a year that the developers need to redo their testing method and patch scheme. Patches are always, always, rushed out. When will the devs get over their ego and really take a hard look at how they push updates and send it to testing?

Almost every single patch has proved that the current methodology is not working. Yet, the devs keep repeating the same rushed patches and act shocked at the game breaking bugs.

What is it going to take? If this isn't a wake up call then I don't know what is.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I have been an advocate for over a year that the developers need to redo their testing method and patch scheme. Patches are always, always, rushed out. When will the devs get over their ego and really take a hard look at how they push updates and send it to testing?

Almost every single patch has proved that the current methodology is not working. Yet, the devs keep repeating the same rushed patches and act shocked at the game breaking bugs.

What is it going to take? If this isn't a wake up call then I don't know what is.
Perhaps if some of those players signed up for testing actually logged onto the test server during their two years as a tester, it might help.

Perlio

Servant of Mallok
Perhaps if some of those players signed up for testing actually logged onto the test server during their two years as a tester, it might help.
Perhaps if Mad Otter had a legit testing scheme in place that made players want to test....

Edit: I was crucified for suggesting that players get small rewards, maybe 10-20 crowns or equivalent for finding bugs, etc. I suggested a much more detailed and thought-out schedule for patches. Instead, the devs are giving out almost 500 crowns to each player for this fiasco.

Death of a thousand cuts...

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Except this had nothing to do with testing - this wasn't a bug that wasn't spotted on test, this was a test build which was undergoing testing accidentally being pushed onto the live servers.

No amount of testing would have made any difference, paid or otherwise.

Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
The developers knew immediately that Apple users were going to get left behind and updates should NEVER be pushed on Fridays, ever.
Hi Slaybelle,
Thanks for the feedback- I agree that it's our job to work with the release cycles that Apple has in place. I do want to clarify, however, that we did not know that Apple users were going to be left behind. We did not expect that the build we pushed would require that we release a new client (note: a "client" is the game software that runs on everyone's phone/tablet/computer. New clients require approval from Apple and Google). We released a server-only build-- in other words, we pushed new software to the game servers only, which doesn't require any approval. Normally this process takes the game offline for 30-40 minutes only, and it's back up-- no approval is necessary.

However, in this case, I made the mistake of pushing a server-only build that was incompatible with the clients on everyone's device. Once that was done, no one could play the game at all. It was only at that point that we had to push a new full build. A new full build requires approval from Apple and Google-- however this delay was at this point unavoidable since the game would be offline for all players, including Apple players, until we pushed a new full build. We had no choice.

We would never push a build that would intentionally leave iOS players-- or any players-- unable to play for 2 days. And that's not what happened in this case.

So, the mistake was not pushing a full build when we did-- the mistake was one step earlier, when we pushed a server-only build that was essentially broken.

Finally, we do respect ALL of our players- whether they are on iOS, Android, PC, or Steam. When we bring up an issue on a particular platform, we don't mean to say we care less for that platform, or those users that use it, any less. We only bring up these explanations in order to be transparent and let you know our reasons.

Best, Damon

Perlio

Servant of Mallok
Except this had nothing to do with testing - this wasn't a bug that wasn't spotted on test, this was a test build which was undergoing testing accidentally being pushed onto the live servers.

No amount of testing would have made any difference, paid or otherwise.
As I stated, I also suggested extremely detailed patch release schedules, such as twice a month at most, etc. If players had the suggested time-frames to test patches, exploits and bugs could be found and prevented. Also, if my suggestions were heeded, a patch would never be released randomly on a holiday weekend. Exploit or not, this was poorly handled. However, this is just the status quo for VH.