Wait

Great Adventurer
Characters
Wait,Bubble O Seven, Powunow, Wait 4Bubbles, and Baby Bubble
Platform
iOS, PC
I am creating this thread after recently experiencing another friend being “accidentally” blocked by another player on US Server 1. This has happened so many times over the years and still continues to be an issue. . Most times over the years that this happened, I didn’t even realize it until weeks or months down the road to find out later that the friend thought I was mad and ignoring them. This would happen after I was attempting to communicate them and thought they may be mad or ignoring me! I know I am not alone with these experiences and wonder how many accidental blocks have happened without others even knowing now. It can make players really feel uncomfortable having to confront others and then having to involve a third party to try to resolve the issue.

Is there any way to relocate the “block” icon to another destination not so close to adding a friend icon (which is it is right next to)? I have brought this up during Twitch live streams and Ivar from the Mad Otter staff, suggested that this was something worth starting a thread about. I hope that time provides an opportunity to easily resolve this.

Thank you for your time on this matter! Happy Ottering!

Kitty the Hunter

Villager
Platform
PC
Thank you for the suggestion.
I'd also like to see a list of blocked players located off of the chat screen, maybe somewhere on the login screen or under options. A checkmark box would also help because it can be impossible to unblock players with foreign language names, or I don't know any way to do it.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I have a related suggestion/request related to the Block function and guild/village management.

I learned the hard way that if you send out an in-game message to the entire village or to the entire guild, and one recipient has you blocked, you do not receive any notification that your mail hasn't gone through to that individual! In this instance, an exception is occurring, but it's not being communicated in any way.

I'm a guild officer and guild village mayor, and I periodically send out pertinent information and/or reminders to multiple recipients. If I were to attempt to send a mail directly to just to the one guildie or village resident who has me blocked, I receive a pop-up message telling me that said person has blocked me. However, if I send a mail to everyone in the village or everyone in the guild, I get no feedback from it. Therefore, I can only assume that there haven't been any issues with the mail going through (and I can see that it was sent because I receive a copy, too.)

Sending out a mail to the entire guild/village is a feature which some players often use and others never use. I wouldn't expect to see a mail bounce back to me from one of these mass mailings, if the recipient hasn't logged in within the past week. (Which is what happens when you send a targeted mail that goes unread.) However, would it be possible to request a "summary mail" upon sending out a message to a group (village or guild)? My idea is that if the mail goes out to all of the intended recipients, no summary mail is sent. BUT if the mail doesn't get sent to a member of the group because of a block, then a summary mail is sent to the message's sender, letting them know that there was an issue with the mail.

Slightly complicated? Yes, but I don't feel that the tech would be used often. So then, why implement it??? Player retention, inter-player relations, and satisfaction in the community element of the game.

If I'm talking in guild/village chat, I have no way of knowing whether said individual is simply shy or quiet, or if they aren't responding to what I've said, because they've accidentally blocked me. It took me several months to figure out that one of our newer guildies had inadvertently blocked me! I doubt that I would have ever figured it out if I hadn't targeted their toon, waved at them, and noticed that the chat simply said "Zazie waves" instead of "Zazie waves at Wait." (Name changed to protect the innocent.) If I hadn't known that was a sign of possibly being blocked by another player, I would never have guessed that something was amiss.

I'm really hoping that the individual involved in the accidental blocking doesn't quit playing the game, partly as a result of the issues that arose around this. I suspect that they've been feeling neglected, left out of the group/an outcast, and/or lonely since they've been only seeing half of any conversation I've participated in and haven't seen every time I've simply said a friendly hello to everyone in guild chat. When things are quieter on the server and in your guild, and you've accidentally blocked the one person who is talking the most.... :eek:

Sometimes, it's the little things that retain or drive away players. I'd hate to see a level 75ish player leave the game over this! Cause they were obviously very embarrassed once our guild leader whispered them, explained the situation, and talked them through how to fix it! I felt sooo badly for them, and yet I was the one who had been blocked!!

An alternative (and simpler) idea might be to allow village mayors to view a list of anyone residing in their village who has them blocked, and then do the same for guild leaders and officers (with their respective guilds.) This would allow mayors and guild leaders/officers to be aware of any possible causes for communication breakdowns. The reason why I view this route as less-than-ideal is because I can foresee how it might create drama and tension, particularly in open villages and/or in situations where a group of players is trying to take over a village.

Reactions: Xadi, Kaydee and Wait
  • Likex3

Eguzki

Citizen
Platform
Android
Muy buena idea!!
Personalmente me pasó esto hace varios meses. Mis hijos cogen el personaje de vez en cuando. Uno de los dos le dio a ignorar por error y yo no lo sabía. Mi marido y yo nos enviamos correos periódicamente y al ver que no recibía mis materiales mandé un correo explicando lo ocurrido y adjuntando capturas de pantalla....
Algo tan sencillo como revisar los pj que tienes ignorados nos habría evitado todo el disgusto. Gracias por leer.

Tenzor

Legendary Hero
Characters
Dezgrim, Tenzor
Platform
Steam
Last edited
That so many times happens with me when I tried to invite people into the party by clicking on the icon above the player. I think need additional check for ignoring, something "Are You Sure? Yes/No"

Reactions: Wait
  • Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
The other thing with block is if you block someone you can’t see their chat(which is good) but they can see yours(which is bad). If you truely meant to block someone and let’s say that reason is because you don’t get along with that person there was strife between the two, if the persons still bitter they’ll be rude say things that you can’t see. Yes it’s happened. Iv only ever blocked one person on purpose and when I answered someone’s question on WC that player I blocked was on and was saying rude things that another player informed me of. It would be best if the players who you truly want blocked can’t see what you say. There’s a reason for the blocking. Just because I couldn’t see the text doesn’t mean they still can’t Harass you. It’s now just behind a wall that you can’t see. So if players purposely block someone they shouldn’t be able to see that persons chat at all.

this is why I rarely block people what’s the point if they can still see what you write and say rude things without your knowledge.

sirbabbo

Warrior
Platform
iOS
The other thing with block is if you block someone you can’t see their chat(which is good) but they can see yours(which is bad). If you truely meant to block someone and let’s say that reason is because you don’t get along with that person there was strife between the two, if the persons still bitter they’ll be rude say things that you can’t see. Yes it’s happened. Iv only ever blocked one person on purpose and when I answered someone’s question on WC that player I blocked was on and was saying rude things that another player informed me of. It would be best if the players who you truly want blocked can’t see what you say. There’s a reason for the blocking. Just because I couldn’t see the text doesn’t mean they still can’t Harass you. It’s now just behind a wall that you can’t see. So if players purposely block someone they shouldn’t be able to see that persons chat at all.

this is why I rarely block people what’s the point if they can still see what you write and say rude things without your knowledge.
They can also spam emojis around you as well to you or have their friends go back and forth. If the whole point of blocking someone is you don’t interact but you can see them and they can spam emojis, or you can see the guild chat aiming rude offenses. then it is not a block IMO.

All well and said to say block but some people know the loopholes. Hope these two loopholes can be fixed to make it a better game cos people who know this and intently do it are not worthy of this game since it is childish behavior.

Wait

Great Adventurer
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
That so many times happens with me when I tried to invite people into the party by clicking on the icon above the player. I think need additional check for ignoring, something "Are You Sure? Yes/No"
YES! In that situation, that has accidentally happened to me as well, many times now over the years! I am glad that you brought up how this happens in party situations! It also has happened to me when going to trade with someone too.

Wait

Great Adventurer
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
Last edited

Ya Hallee, To be clear on what is being communicated, we are NOT saying to get rid of the Block Icon or to change that feature. I understand that you are bringing up another point about how the block icon works and how players that are trolling, can find other ways to still be a TROLL! Maybe there is some room for improvement around that, I don't know? However, "Block" is your best friend, and the FIRST STEP, to alleviate the issue, in situations where you absolutely have to do so to stop chat that you no longer wish to see. I rarely have to use the Block feature but I have had to in the past. Its helpful to just stop the trolls chat and I appreciate this feature! :D You mention a loophole around the BLOCK feature that is good to bring up too and most of us are very aware of that. If someone is finding ways around block, by continually harassing in other ways, "Copy and pasting" those actions to report them may be a step forward beyond blocking. Over the years we have learned that avoiding, ignoring, blocking, copy/pasting to report, are tools in the player's "tool box" to resolve those sort of issues. I have seen many issues get resolved even when there was challenging times. Our community has prevailed and we are pretty much drama free for years now. :D However, this thread is to address ONLY the location of the Block icon feature. :D

Reactions: Zaphyra and Halleebell
  • Likex2

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
They can also spam emojis around you as well to you or have their friends go back and forth. If the whole point of blocking someone is you don’t interact but you can see them and they can spam emojis, or you can see the guild chat aiming rude offenses. then it is not a block IMO.

All well and said to say block but some people know the loopholes. Hope these two loopholes can be fixed to make it a better game cos people who know this and intently do it are not worthy of this game since it is childish behavior.
Yep it’s happened to me and others. It’s why I don’t block. What’s the point. They can still be rude and childish towards me/others when the whole point of me blocking them was to get away from the negativity. But now I can’t even defend myself and or screenshot it to report the bad behavior and other players will rarely report it unless they know all the details. I learned this like my first year of playing. So I just decided block was the wrong move in some situations.

• Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
Ya Hallee, To be clear on what is being communicated, we are NOT saying to get rid of the Block Icon at all! Block is your best friend in situations where you absolutely have to do so to stop chat that you no longer wish to see. We are asking that it is RELOCATED away from the friend, party, and trade icons in a location that will AVOID blocking friends that you DON"T waent to block. There has been too many times that I have accidentally blocked friends trying party, trade, or friend them. I rarely have to use the Block feature but I have had to in the past. Its helpful to just stop the trolls chat! :D Your also bringing up a loophole around the BLOCK feature perhaps that is good to bring up too. If someone is harrassing you despite being blocked. Copy and pasting those actions to report them may be a step forward beyond blocking. Over the years we have learned that avoiding, ignoring, blocking, reporting when necessary, are tools in the tool box to resolve those sort of issues. I have seen many issues get resolved even when there was challenging times. Our community has prevailed and we are pretty much drama free. :D
Oh I know!! I was just saying the block feature has multiple flaws that need to be looked at and fixed to make QOL better in game. Cause yes I have blocked players that I never meant to block and Iv never been able to unblock them.

• Likex1

Wait

Great Adventurer
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
Oh I know!! I was just saying the block feature has multiple flaws that need to be looked at and fixed to make QOL better in game. Cause yes I have blocked players that I never meant to block and Iv never been able to unblock them.
Yes :D And to unblock a friend, you have to type backslash, unblock , and the players name. There is a space between the words unblock and the name Hope that helps!

Wanderlee

Wizard
Characters
Wanderlee
Platform
Android
How about a mute button added as well. Sometimes certain people will spam local chat in areas that you don't necessarily want blocked or turned off the filter but a timed mute would be great.

Reactions: Zaphyra and Wait
  • Likex2

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
How about a mute button added as well. Sometimes certain people will spam local chat in areas that you don't necessarily want blocked or turned off the filter but a timed mute would be great.
Interesting idea. Mods can do this, but when they mute a player, nobody can see their chat!

I rarely block other players, but when I do, it's really just to give myself a brief break when I'm thoroughly fed up with obnoxious chat/attitude. (I tend to wait a few days, maybe up to a week, and then unblock them. If they persist in the obnoxious behavior after being unblocked, then I might permanently block them.)

I feel that a "temporary mute" button might appeal to other good-natured players who are hesitant to block. It could be viewed as a stepping stone, or as a compromise between blocking and taking no action.

Cause sometimes a player doesn't need to be muted by a Mod, but their chat at that particular moment touches on personal, sensitive subjects. And yet, when they stop talking about it, there's really no need to have them blocked!

Wanderlee

Wizard
Characters
Wanderlee
Platform
Android
Interesting idea. Mods can do this, but when they mute a player, nobody can see their chat!

I rarely block other players, but when I do, it's really just to give myself a brief break when I'm thoroughly fed up with obnoxious chat/attitude. (I tend to wait a few days, maybe up to a week, and then unblock them. If they persist in the obnoxious behavior after being unblocked, then I might permanently block them.)

I feel that a "temporary mute" button might appeal to other good-natured players who are hesitant to block. It could be viewed as a stepping stone, or as a compromise between blocking and taking no action.

Cause sometimes a player doesn't need to be muted by a Mod, but their chat at that particular moment touches on personal, sensitive subjects. And yet, when they stop talking about it, there's really no need to have them blocked!
You said it way better than I could but that is pretty much the idea. If I want to mute, it should just mute for me and not all but this may also cut down on the blocking by accident issue as well. I just tend to stay away from the event zone because the same people over and over blow up local chat with their own stuff that sometimes seems should be taken to a personal chat verses local considering how many people are in the zone. I prefer not to block but a timed mute would be great.