Kilgharrah

Adventurer
Characters
Kilgharrah, Gwayne, Sylvaena, GeraltOfArdent
Platform
  1. iOS
Since it doesn't seem like anyone else has brought this up here yet, I am doing so on behalf of many friends in US2 who are frustrated with this. While I fully understand that the empowered ladder is meant to be a real challenge, it currently seems nearly impossible for a group that doesn't contain a good few stacked 95ers to make it past Empowered Anosia. Running it last night with a strong group on my very well-geared 95 wizard, who rarely dies on 95 elder runs anymore, I had to rezzie 3 times to make it through, even while keeping as much distance as possible and doing my best to run from the fire sweeping the floor.

I absolutely want to see the empowered ladder continue to be a real challenge, which forces players of all levels to make sure they're geared up very well. It's also not unreasonable that lower-level players should expect to rezzie a couple of times even if they're relatively well-equipped. However, this fire damage as it currently stands seems unreasonable. It's a couple orders of magnitude in difficulty above the fire floor generated by the level 80 fire wizard elder, and also makes Empowered Anosia the most difficult of all the empowered fairies by a large margin. This last fact is what makes me suspect things are not as intended: even Empowered Vesesia is a walk in the park in comparison. Honestly, the others could even be made a little trickier! I just hope to see the fire damage toned down some, not for the challenge to become trivialized 😊

BBlue

Legendary Hero
Characters
Bulmablue, Bulla S., P.Vegeta, F.Trunks, R.Braun, CauliflaTheMighty, Raingeta,Ultra, Historia
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
It's also a problem on healers side, we can't make it though to this floor and poof dead in instant, no matter the level, my max 95 holy can't survive, and that has caused major issue for tanks once there's no healers left they have to leave the empower ladder or keeping going and hope they make it with no healers.

Reactions: Kilgharrah
  • Likex1

Klaeklae

Bog Frog
Platform
  1. Android
All I'm going to say on this is (ok turned out to be a lot.. sorry) :

1) it is the empowered (aka hard) version. It wouldn't be hard if the threat of dying ( a lot with no defense) wasn't present;

2) Most people build straight dps, or close to it (it's what the rest of the game allows, so I get it). Therefore.. building a lot more defense / tankiness may result in having a better time (it will);

3) there appears to be a bug where players can bypass empowered bosses and just go to the next one (happened to me today - a few members of the small group magically appeared ahead of us.. finally caught them on the last boss they had down to 23%);

4) adding a harder mode ladder was an awesome idea.. tyvm devs! Although it's apparently still possible to solo / duo most of these.. if not all...

so maybe not hard enough.. which leads to..

5) it wouldn't hurt my feelings if there was a 3rd round.. unlockable after the other 2.. which was insane and required a very strong and coordinated group to complete. Maybe it would be level locked to nullify the "I should be able to do all content at lvl 1" peeps.. We don't have encounters like this requiring very difficult + coordinated efforts in the game, and EZ zones are a decent place to test them... with a timer leader board of course so we can all flex on our Bambi's...

-klaeklae

Edit: spelling.

Reactions: Kilgharrah
  • Likex1

Kilgharrah

Adventurer
Characters
Platform
  1. iOS
All I'm going to say on this is (ok turned out to be a lot.. sorry) :

1) it is the empowered (aka hard) version. It wouldn't be hard if the threat of dying ( a lot with no defense) wasn't present;

2) Most people build straight dps, or close to it (it's what the rest of the game allows, so I get it). Therefore.. building a lot more defense / tankiness may result in having a better time (it will);

3) there appears to be a bug where players can bypass empowered bosses and just go to the next one (happened to me today - a few members of the small group magically appeared ahead of us.. finally caught them on the last boss they had down to 23%);

4) adding a harder mode ladder was an awesome idea.. tyvm devs! Although it's apparently still possible to solo / duo most of these.. if not all...

so maybe not hard enough.. which leads to..

5) it wouldn't hurt my feelings if there was a 3rd round.. unlockable after the other 2.. which was insane and required a very strong and coordinated group to complete. Maybe it would be level locked to nullify the "I should be able to do all content at lvl 1" peeps.. We don't have encounters like this requiring very difficult + coordinated efforts in the game, and EZ zones are a decent place to test them... with a timer leader board of course so we can all flex on our Bambi's...

-klaeklae

Edit: spelling.
I can't disagree with any of these points! In regard to (2), though, is the intent of the empowered ladder to make all non-tank classes build much tankier sets of gear than we use for other purposes? That's not necessarily a problem for many 95s, who have more defensible raid gear sets in place, but most others who raided a lot are probably not at the best level to use their old raid gear anymore. This goes to the question of if the devs intended for the empowered ladder to basically only be accessible to groups filled with stacked 95ers.

I like your idea of having a third insane tier that is meant to be more-or-less at that level, in which the other fairies are also harder. Or, if the second tier is meant to be inaccessible to even mid-level players, that needs to be clearly communicated in some way. In any case, I think the undisputable issue is the imbalance between Anosia and the other empowered fairies: they are on different tiers of difficulty. Besides Anosia, they mostly just felt to me like they take somewhat longer to kill, without providing an extra mechanical challenge.

Raelin

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Raelin, Shandri Blaze, Kayle Fyrefly
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. Android
Sure it’s frustrating for those who can’t get through this ladder. But haven’t we maxed players been asking for difficult side content to keep us occupied? This, in my opinion, looks like exactly what we asked for. Not everyone is going to be able to make it through. I rebirthed my holy priest to maximize xp from the event zone and she hasn’t been able to make it through. But if it’s supposed to be hard content then... I guess it makes sense to me that it would present a challenge to even the most experienced players. There’s no reason for people to NEED those tears to still get the rewards they want. In fact, it looks like the devs upped the daily amounts given from last year. I find this a nice addition for maxed, “bored” players.

Giruv

Merchant
Royal Guardian
Characters
Verrier
Platform
  1. PC
So far I find its another issue of group scaling making AoE damage unbearable. It is way more manageable in small group, I'd even say soloing it kinda easier then in a group of 30+.

Some thing to add may be add some kind of marker to make save spot easier to see? sometimes I find it hard finding the floor without fire with all the orangish ambient color.

Squonk

Master Villager
Characters
Squonk, Auburn Bow, Morgawa, Auburn Shade, Auburn Flame, Auburn Assassin, Medusala, Auburn Saint, +2
Platform
  1. PC
Is it a good thing that it basically discourages larger groups for inan event zone where you would normally expect to have the largest groups of any content in the game?

Reactions: Svanhildr and Zaphyra
  • Likex2

justbequiet

Villager
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. PC
I would also like to mention that the fire floor animation has lag time of 2-3 damage ticks before it graphically shows up on screen (sometimes longer on mobile). This would make it very difficult to react w/o half your health being eaten away.

We had the same issue with Okyris and Grinchta's light show given the sheer amount of lag it generates. Perhaps having floor animations in general are abit too ambitious for the server hardware?

Kilgharrah

Adventurer
Characters
Platform
  1. iOS
Sure it’s frustrating for those who can’t get through this ladder. But haven’t we maxed players been asking for difficult side content to keep us occupied? This, in my opinion, looks like exactly what we asked for. Not everyone is going to be able to make it through. I rebirthed my holy priest to maximize xp from the event zone and she hasn’t been able to make it through. But if it’s supposed to be hard content then... I guess it makes sense to me that it would present a challenge to even the most experienced players. There’s no reason for people to NEED those tears to still get the rewards they want. In fact, it looks like the devs upped the daily amounts given from last year. I find this a nice addition for maxed, “bored” players.
This is a good point: the reward for completing hard ladder is definitely just an extra bonus, which newer players are not going to realize. I really just wish that the difficulty level of surviving the empowered fairies was more consistent, or a steady increase as you keep climbing. The general consensus seems to be that the fire aoe is simply much worse than anything put out by the other fae on the ladder, including the two that come after.

Reactions: Svanhildr
  • Likex1

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. PC
Anything fire in this game has always been a struggle. From the dmg it’s dealing to the lag that is almost always constant with these types of affects. I do enjoy it though. Having to run around while casting and dodging fire. I ran this one for the first time tonight and my biggest gripe was dying then reviving in the fire and not being able to get out fast enough. Another thing I’d suggest is getting rid of the pillars so when this happens the player has a clear view of what’s around them and they can see the closest point of non scorched land. My nature hunter is allergic to fire all her poisons are flammable. It’s not a pretty sight when she dies ablaze.

Kilgharrah

Adventurer
Characters
Platform
  1. iOS
I would also like to mention that the fire floor animation has lag time of 2-3 damage ticks before it graphically shows up on screen (sometimes longer on mobile). This would make it very difficult to react w/o half your health being eaten away.

We had the same issue with Okyris and Grinchta's light show given the sheer amount of lag it generates. Perhaps having floor animations in general are abit too ambitious for the server hardware?
The problem is probably a combination of the lag that is hard to avoid during event zones, plus the scaling issue that Giruv mentioned. These kinds of mechanics are never a problem for the higher-level elders that have them, but those are pretty much always done in smaller parties. If we could control party size like with raids, that could help. If the goal is to create a challenge for higher-level players, having the option to run with your choice of party makes sense.

Fluffed

Reader
Characters
Fluffed
Platform
  1. iOS
gotta agree with the hard colors too...or...If you would be so kind as to lower the area of effect to solve this delayed issue appearance issue. once the fire goes on the floor, everything else seems to be on fire.

Lalocat

Adventurer
Characters
Lalocat Vla Laniss
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Last edited

It seems like there is a warning before the fire spawns. Scorch marks appear on the ground before the fire and that is the time to run. At least, I think so. I died once (on my 95 wizard) and then ran away any time I saw scorch marks and it seemed to work.

Second round with level 85 priest. Bad gear, 15% magic resist. Survived whole fight with no deaths.* (Thanks healers.) We talked about the scorch marks before and after. Some can see them and some can't. Everyone who said they could see them also said they play on mobile, if that helps.

* I mean, I didn't die. We still lost about half the group.

Felina

Adventurer
I have run the empowered ladder 5 times now. All bar one run I was not able to see the fire on the floor so had no clue where to run or even heal myself until it was too late. The fire finally appeared after I died.

Reactions: Zazie
  • Sadx1

GoGoGadget

Servant of Mallok
Characters
GoGoGadgetGo
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Do not nerf the empowered Anosia!! She is the best thing that has happened to this game ever!! If anything reduce the fire circle size just by little bit and its perfect. Not everyone is ment to pass the empowered ladder and if its nerfed to a point where everyone can its pointless to even exist. Dedicated group of 5 does it quite well and thats how it should be imo.

V

Mad Otter Games
Developer
The mechanics are sound, and I agree with those who stated that the rest of the empowered ladder should be bulked up to meet Anosia's standards. The only issue is that, while players can counteract mechanics, they cannot do the same with lag.

I have seen encounters where the fire spawns immediately when telegraphed and slowly travels around the room. There are minimal deaths in that scenario. Other times, the entire chamber is empty on my screen only to be entirely engulfed in flame a split second later. That's an issue that needs to be addressed.

Raelin

Lumineer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Raelin, Shandri Blaze, Kayle Fyrefly
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. Android
I would like to add, as a mobile player, that many of us turn off “show all effects” in settings to decrease lag in group content. You MUST turn this on for Anosia. If you have this setting turned off, both the cracks on the floor and her fire are invisible. Insta-death. 😂

KatieElf Queen

Arch Wizard
Characters
Katie4567,MysticElf,EarthQueen
Platform
  1. iOS
Since it doesn't seem like anyone else has brought this up here yet, I am doing so on behalf of many friends in US2 who are frustrated with this. While I fully understand that the empowered ladder is meant to be a real challenge, it currently seems nearly impossible for a group that doesn't contain a good few stacked 95ers to make it past Empowered Anosia. Running it last night with a strong group on my very well-geared 95 wizard, who rarely dies on 95 elder runs anymore, I had to rezzie 3 times to make it through, even while keeping as much distance as possible and doing my best to run from the fire sweeping the floor.

I absolutely want to see the empowered ladder continue to be a real challenge, which forces players of all levels to make sure they're geared up very well. It's also not unreasonable that lower-level players should expect to rezzie a couple of times even if they're relatively well-equipped. However, this fire damage as it currently stands seems unreasonable. It's a couple orders of magnitude in difficulty above the fire floor generated by the level 80 fire wizard elder, and also makes Empowered Anosia the most difficult of all the empowered fairies by a large margin. This last fact is what makes me suspect things are not as intended: even Empowered Vesesia is a walk in the park in comparison. Honestly, the others could even be made a little trickier! I just hope to see the fire damage toned down some, not for the challenge to become trivialized 😊
Same problem on US3

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
I think part of the problem is that we encourage players NOT to engage in meaningful gear crafting or gnogging, until end-game. We tell them to use dropped or donated gear and save their Sockets... those who take this advice, may have trouble surviving difficult content, like Empowered Anosia.

I crafted, gnogged and stored my gear ahead of time... used it during 4/5 rebirths, allowing me to speed through the rebirth process and participate in all types of content, at all levels. So, no... I don't feel like my time/resources were wasted and I'll still have this gear to use again, if/when the level cap is raised and another rebirth option is given.

Engaging in meaningful gear crafting at lower levels, allows players of all levels to participate in scaled content... it also allows players to learn our gear crafting system, understand their stats, try different builds... and creates a stronger market, for crafting materials of all levels.

Empowered Anosia wasn't designed just for fully-geared level 95 players... she's designed for fully-geared players of all levels and/or coordinated groups with strong tanks and healers.

I enjoy the challenge of Empowered Anosia, the other bosses are boring. I'd like to see more bosses with interesting/challenging mechanics... BUT... the colors used for the fire graphics, combined with the pillars and trees blocking our view... and the LAG... make survival difficult.

Maybe our Devs could keep the challenge/mechanics... but find a way to remove some trees and change the colors, so we can clearly see the safe and unsafe areas... also, maybe reducing some of the effects, would reduce lag?

To those who want to meet/beat the challenge of the Empowered Ladder... I encourage you to craft or buy some good gear, potions, drams and use Shale during the fire fight... also have a couple rezzies handy and try to join a group with strong tanks and healers.

Good luck everyone! 👋🙂

Sean Ryan

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hello everyone,

The overall goal of Empowered Anosia was to provide a more powerful and mechanically interesting boss. She is also a test-case for experimenting with some changes I made to AoEs, which should hopefully make them:
  1. More performant
  2. Easier to create unique/interesting effects
So while the moving circle of fire is visually similar to something like Artair's circle of fire, they're actually very different internally. Fortunately, it seems like the changes aren't causing any major issues so far.

In terms of nerfs, I am thinking of making the following changes to the Ring of Fire:
  • Reduce the radius slightly.
  • Reduce damage slightly.
  • Modify the color of the particles so that it's easier to see how to get out.
  • Add a longer delay between when the zodiac appears and damage starts being dealt.
Hopefully these changes will make the fight a bit better, while still being hard.

I would also like to mention that the fire floor animation has lag time of 2-3 damage ticks before it graphically shows up on screen (sometimes longer on mobile).
I've seen a few people mention this, and it seems to be the primary issue with the fight right now. To the people that have had this happen:
  • Does your FPS noticeably drop when the Ring of Fire is active?
  • How long is the delay on average between when you start taking damage, and when the fire particles actually appear?
That and any other information you can give me would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.