Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi, all,

As usual, we seem to have a good number of complaints and issues coming up regarding event zone etiquette, and I'm not sure why what is supposed to be a fun zone seems only to generate problems and dissent.

So, while we do not have any official policies on this, nor do I think we should since our community should be able to monitor themselves when it comes to event zones, here are a few tips:

Please do not expect and demand that an entire server wait on killing a boss because you want to harvest your crops and feed your animals first. (Seriously? Are you kidding me?) ;)

There's the usual 5 minute announcement in world chat from players. So wait five minutes, then kill the boss.

Let's see if we can have a nice fun holiday event zone this December! I'm confident that we can.

Thank you! :D

Frostalite

Wizard
Characters
Frostalite and Herocrusher
Platform
Android, PC
We've been getting server wide message when Grinchta pops up, but it only lasts for a few seconds. Easy to miss.

Reactions: Zazie
  • Likex1

Giruv

Merchant
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
As of right now somehow i wish all event zone is a mix of ladder and the current event zone, where the boss respawn in a short time, but the reward have 1~2 hours cooldown cooldown. So players can just do it whenever they want to do it without the waiting issue, at the same time it will be easy to find a group since players would want to kill them multiple times a day.

There are just so many issue at EZ especially the language barrier, a few times a group of players that don't understand/can't see English chat go to different bosses that makes both group only get 2-3 bosses instead of 4. Also when there is a strong "Leeroy" or a group of them the boss falls pretty quickly that even if you teleport immediately you might not get it, especially when lot of player zoning at the same time it cause the time it takes to get in rather long.

Neia

Warrior
Characters
Neia
Platform
PC
Here's 3 more tips:
  • Don't pull a boss into an obstacle. It's funny to see him goes into aegis? There is a risk that he despawns: he will die, no one will get the kill nor any reward. And you will have to wait for his complete respawn time to see him again. Still funny?
  • Don't pull a boss into a crowd. If you're about to die, don't bring others with you.
  • If you're at the head of a run, wait 3 seconds before attacking a boss. That way, his scaling buff will update and the slower players will have more chance to hit him before he dies.

Kasdeya

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Kasdeya
Platform
Android
Last edited
Here's 3 more tips:
  • Don't pull a boss into an obstacle. It's funny to see him goes into aegis? There is a risk that he despawns: he will die, no one will get the kill nor any reward. And you will have to wait for his complete respawn time to see him again. Still funny?
  • Don't pull a boss into a crowd. If you're about to die, don't bring others with you.
  • If you're at the head of a run, wait 3 seconds before attacking a boss. That way, his scaling buff will update and the slower players will have more chance to hit him before he dies.
I'm beginning to think these reasons don't matter to these so called "Leeroys" or whatever it is they are called (I did ask my bf what it means, he told me the whole history how it started 😂)

IMO, these reasons just spur them into doing it more since they DO think its "funny" or they just love being center of attention.. It's getting old as well, considering the fact some people just want to get their quests done. Oh geez, don't even get me started what happened daily back in Haunted Moors..

I wish something was done about this.. Some toons actually stand in front of the bounty and wait for others which is nice, but these Leeroys just ruin the fun in the event..

Torsos

Hunter
Platform
PC, Steam
I'm beginning to think these reasons don't matter to these so called "Leeroys" or whatever it is they are called (I did ask my bf what it means, he told me the whole history how it started 😂)

IMO, these reasons just spur them into doing it more since they DO think its "funny" or they just love being center of attention.. It's getting old as well, considering the fact some people just want to get their quests done. Oh geez, don't even get me started what happened daily back in Haunted Moors..

I wish something was done about this.. Some toons actually stand in front of the bounty and wait for others which is nice, but these Leeroys just ruin the fun in the event..
so tempted to say "at least we have chicken" ;-). ask your BF lol, he will explain.

Reactions: Kasdeya
  • Hahax1

Citizen
Characters
Karma, Boot
Platform
Steam
Most of the issues seems to be with newbies.
They just don't know.
Fortunately they do seem to respond well when educated about the event zone etiquette.
Some, I suspect, it maybe a language issue. They just don't actually understand.

But, unfortunately, the game has attracted a few which seem get pleasure in causing others grief. Thankfully it is a very small minority.
I'm not sure what we can do about them. Maybe it might be time to consider a in-game timer of some sort for next year.

Meanwhile, please do try to communicate with the newer players who just maybe ignorant about the etiquette.
It helps.

Best regards

Vyn

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
Android
I agree, I think it's new players sometimes. It takes awhile to understand how event zones, bosses, and bounties work when you're completely new. So you accidently hit a boss and don't know how to disengage combat, especially when you're clicking everything to learn what it is even.

The problem to me is how big of a deal everyone makes it, instantly calling them names and Leeroy (tbh this just makes my skin crawl every time I see this every hour 🤬) insteading of taking a second to see if it was an accident or what. How is that attitude encouraging to players? Ofc their response is going to usually be defensive which gets everyone upset and blood boiling with more slurs and name calling.

When it could all be avoided by patience! Take a breath, remember what it was like when you did your first event boss, and explain the etiquette to them. There are games out there where as soon as a boss is attacked, even by a lvl 1, that everyone rushes to kill because they respawn fast. New players don't know that isn't the case here.

Other times, yes it is players just griefing, but until you know 100% just be nice. Even then, players that do that just want attention and guess what!? By you complaining you give it to them. Just simply let them die if they're intentionally griefing. By them dying it gives time for those still coming to get there for the boss and you get to have less stress because you didn't get into a bout of name calling or watch the chaos. Sometimes the "griefers" are actually helpful to get the bosses started, waiting more than 5 minutes is just too much. People have things to do so waiting around for 5 minutes is annoying. It's not like the bosses won't be respawing ever again, so if you have to miss one it's not the end of the world.

It bothers me that normally everyone is nice and helpful....until doing event bosses 😖 Just remember others are watching what's going on and learning from it. I know that it feels like you're a recorder repeating things, but everyone is on at different times and if more people explained then those learning can pass on that info too.

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Perhaps remove the event zone portal from Summer's Hollow?

I see a lot of super low levels there that still haven't finished (or even started) the tutorial. All of a sudden they are in a zone with 50 other players, a dozen quests and giant bosses. They are bound to make a mistake.

If the Event Zone portal was limited to Ardent City, then the players who have access should at least be decently acquainted with the game's mechanics.

Zar

Great Adventurer
Characters
Zarola, North....
Platform
Android, PC
Glad theirs nothing I want in the event zone this year. Don't have to deal with all the drama that comes with it.
It would be awesome if the bosses were immune in some way for the first few minutes or something like that.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Here's 3 more tips:
Both of these actions have been pointed out by management to be against their policy and if done repeatedly can be considered harassment.
So if anyone is repeatedly doing things to purposefully disrupt the game for others, please report it. Do not call people out, just get a screenshot and report to CS.

Characters
Tiffa, Ruby Wolf
Platform
Android, PC
Well I for one Don't see anything wrong with new players or even more experienced players going all out and getting themselves killed when attacking an Event Zone Boss. There is no reason for helping others or waiting for another player to travel several zones or to complete their gathering & crafting when you have a group who are ready to finish their quest so they can get back to leveling up their own character.
I have not seen a lot of players sending out a global message for any of the bosses, Just players demanding others come to the event zone so there can be 3 instances and 3 times the kills.

For the So called Leeroy instance from WoW the true story is that the group was taking way to long to come up with a plan and taking up Leeroy's time by going AFK and other personal issues, When Leeroy told them specicicaly that he had to log off soon. The rest of the team just ignored him so he did go and get the group killed.

Player respect must go both ways, The new players need to be told how to play in the Event Zone & the Old times need to be tolorant of the new people and stop letting other players doing other stuff from stalling waiting players.

Some Simple Rules to Follow:
  1. Always have one or more Event Zone leaders (like Mohawk was on US3 last year) who send out world, Guild & Local messages ok "Event Zone Boss XXXXXX is up Hunt will start in 5 min co join or be late"
  2. Have a set time limit for waiting 5 to 10 min
  3. Have leaders give out EZ etiquette messages every 30 mins.
  4. If you plan to do the EZ quest then do them first and then do your personal stuff or reverse it and do your personal stuff then do EZ quest. I myself did all the gathering and base crafting for the EZ quest so I have 30 of each sub-components before I did any of the other hunt quest, so I could fun through the other quest faster then go and do my personal farming, Ranching, gathering and Crafting while still keeping an eye out for messages.
  5. and MOST OF ALL is to HAVE FUN and let Others Have fun too.

Reactions: SouLRebeL1986
  • Likex1

Kasdeya

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Kasdeya
Platform
Android
Last edited
Problem to me is how big of a deal everyone makes it, instantly calling them names and Leeroy (tbh this just makes my skin crawl every time I see this every hour 🤬) insteading of taking a second to see if it was an accident or what. How is that attitude encouraging to players? Ofc their response is going to usually be defensive which gets everyone upset and blood boiling with more slurs and name calling.
People can tell whether it's an accident or not. Like, if people are patiently waiting then all of a sudden someone attacks the boss and climbs over a high area/hide inside walls just to see it go to Aegis, or drag it all around (especially to the spot where most toons are standing) so they can take everyone to the grave, well.. I think that's pretty obvious they're causing trouble. (Unless you're referring to jerks who label everyone that does it by accident.)
Ufortunately, the game has attracted a few which seem get pleasure in causing others grief. Thankfully it is a very small minority.
Ah yes, I can vouch for this.. Hell, I ran lvl 20 Elders with the toon during my second rebirth! Did nothing but respawn the boss, since the player seem to think it was "funny." What was supposed to be a short Elder run became a long, tiring one..

Concinus

Grand Priestess
Characters
Tindra Silvertass
Platform
Steam
We kill all Grinchta's helpers in one go on EU1 and announcing their arrival has worked really well.
1/4 Grinchta helpers up
2/4 Grinchta helpers up
3/4 Grinchta helpers up - gather at G2
4/4 Grinchta helpers up - any more otw? TP here.
And then just making a final call announcing RUN STARTING.

If you are new or really slow at running (not wanting or able to TP) you should come at 1st-2nd, while the more experienced come at 3rd and those who missed all announcement usually wake up by 4th :LOL:. This gives everyone all a FAIR chances to join.

Sometimes we wait a bit longer after 4th if we know lots of ppl, especially newbies, are otw and they have said so in chat. This can annoy some, but in general most feel really respected and that they are on equal terms no matter what level you are, which makes players both have a better time and less prone to trying to spoil things for others.

If newbies are lost or slow we also use a buddie system; be their friend or invite to party so they can follow you around the map.

Shout out to fellow Chat Announcers Neia, Nightweb, MissMasay, Daniel Fortesque and several others who have taken it upon themselves to scream their heads off in chat for hours on end to make the events even more fun for others. Love y'all! 🥰

It would be great if there was a separate announcement chat though so the world chat isn't taken over all the time.

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
iOS, PC
Last year Mohawk used “ding ding” to signal jingle was up! Which meant the rest would soon follow. We Would always wait or until zone was full. I miss ding ding.

Neia

Warrior
Characters
Neia
Platform
PC
Shout out to fellow Chat Announcers Neia, Nightweb, MissMasay, Daniel Fortesque and several others who have taken it upon themselves to scream their heads off in chat for hours on end to make the events even more fun for others. Love y'all! 🥰
And what would we do without our Glorious Pumpkin? We all like your announces!

Thanks to all who help with Event Zones:
Thanks to those who tracks bosses's respawn time, thanks to those who shares these info everytime someone asks;
Thanks to those who shout when any boss pop;
Thanks to those who help with dailies quests, thanks to those who even gives mats for that;
Thanks to those who comes and fight bosses until the end of the EZ, even when they don't need anything anymore;
And thanks to all the helpers I forgot to mention.

You all makes the EZ more enjoyable for everyone else.
Thank you all!

Leizong

Legendary Hero
Platform
Android, PC
我有一个想法,由系统广播BOSS刷新,而不是玩家,因为某些人会要求别人按照他的想法玩游戏

Reactions: Anthem and Paranoia
  • Likex2