Math Fish

Squirrel
Characters
Math Fish
Platform
Steam
I've been considering several things lately, among them being the influx of new players who seem to be more combat-oriented than the veteran players. Inevitably new players bring with them a desire to change things that have been well-established for a long time, such as the vocalized desire for PvP and increased need for tutorials for the rich and complex game mechanics. So, I thought to myself, "How can we keep what is currently in the game while showing this set of new players that we are listening to them?" After about a month, I have come up with a few possibilities that I will be introducing in the forums over time (as I flesh them out some more). The first one incorporates something that has been in the game since the beginning (the lore) with something that has been developing over time (more interesting battle mechanics): Special Battles.

While I do not know exactly what these new concepts would look like fully, I can give a good picture of the flavor of such concepts. My first idea is a special battle that will require a minimum of 12 players versus an undead version of the original Legendary Four. As the most powerful versions of the original four classes, the Legendary Four will be masters of their classes with access to every ability currently present in the game for them. For the full story of the Legendary Four and their battle against Mallok, read this scroll. The battle and how it is scripted relies exclusively on the character classes and the lore itself.

Before continuing I feel obligated to give a "tear-jerker" warning: For anyone who is interested in the story of this game, the following will arouse some serious feels. I, for one, had some trouble writing this all out as I realized that the entire game was built upon something like this (read the lore). People make mistakes, but some mistakes lead to situations where people just have to own up to it or be engulfed by it. The mistake made by the former civilization of Villagers and Heroes is one such mistake ... and our current situation is one such situation. Enjoy:

These are undead versions of the original Legendary Four: Celestia the Huntress, Marat the Warrior, Calypso the Wizard, and Voltan the Priest.

Stage 1: They will first be fought individually in the order in which they appeared at Mallok's tower: Celestia, Marat, Calypso, Voltan.

Stage 2: After each is defeated, they will unite and fight the party together. Celestia will make use of a mix of both Marksman and Nature abilities; Marat will initially make use of Lightning abilities, his taunts causing the party to only be able to target him; Calypso will teleport around the arena and change targets, pelting them with powerful fire spells and crippling ice spells; Voltan will switch between healing the party and hurling various shadow magics at the party (switching to healing will reset threat for him).

All four have a special buff called "Mallok United Us!", which does two things:
  • The Legendary Four are templars, meaning that reducing the hp of one to zero will fully heal all the others (even if reducing hp to zero does not kill that hero).
  • The Legendary Four must be killed in a certain order - the same order in which Mallok killed them: Celestia, Marat, Voltan, and Calypso.
At 50% hp, Celestia's attacks become slower and she begins telling the story of how the Hunters rejected Mallok.

Stage 3: After Celestia is killed, Marat throws down his shield and begins using exclusively Fury abilities with increased speed.
At 50% hp, Marat's attacks weaken and he begins telling how the Warriors rejected Mallok.

Stage 4: After Marat is killed, Voltan is engulfed in shadow and begins hurling powerful shadow spells at the party with reckless abandon (is unaffected by threat in this state). At the same time, Calypso's hands glow - one with fire and the other with ice. She begins dual-casting fire and ice spells at her target and at random spots throughout the arena.
At 50% hp Marat switches to healing himself and begins telling how the Wizards and Priests rejected Mallok. At the same time Calypso begins casting spells more frequently as if she is using her very last bit of life to wipe out everything.

Stage 5: Once Voltan is killed, there is complete silence: The combat music winds down; sound effects are reduced and have a faint echo to them; Calypso falls to her knees and completely disengages the party. The "Mallok United Us!" buff is replaced with a crippling debuff called "We Divided Ourselves", which leaves her permanently stunned and extremely vulnerable to everything. As her health falls she will lament the selfishness of all four groups and wish they had been more accepting of one another.
At 10% hp, Calypso become invulnerable as she begs the party to remedy their mistake and unite all people together. After she is done speaking, she will faint and the battle will be over.

It is my hope that this can satisfy all parties involved: It emphasizes the concept of unity (or the consequences of division) that this game is built upon while simultaneously giving players a very interesting and engaging raid-style encounter.

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
This idea got me thinking. Imagine if the Maplecrest Elder quest wasn't just kill the level 20 elders, kill the level 30 elders and so on. Instead, what if it was an involved quest that introduced some Elder Dungeons.

So, say you defeat the level 10 Elders. Maplecrest will now provide you access to the level 10 Elder Dungeon. This works similarly to the level 95 Elder Dungeons. It's a scaled zone with decent experience, powerful bosses and interesting rewards

This would be the same for the level 20, 30 and so on Elders. All of them would get their own optional Dungeon that players unlock after killing their regular versions.

Once you've completed them all, or completed all the objectives / found some hidden relics or whatnot within each, then you get access to this special Dungeon against the Legendary 4.

Reactions: MommaT1996
  • Likex1

Math Fish

Squirrel
Characters
Math Fish
Platform
Steam
It's interesting you should mention that: That's actually one of my other ideas. I am compiling a list of ways to have more interesting story-line Elders to break monotony while introducing an optional dungeon-like version of each for the combat oriented players, unlocked by defeating the corresponding story-line version. I'll post in another thread once I have a few more of the story-line versions written up (dungeon-like version is 90% ready to present).

Reactions: KAVE
  • Likex1

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
It's interesting you should mention that: That's actually one of my other ideas. I am compiling a list of ways to have more interesting story-line Elders to break monotony while introducing an optional dungeon-like version of each for the combat oriented players, unlocked by defeating the corresponding story-line version. I'll post in another thread once I have a few more of the story-line versions written up (dungeon-like version is 90% ready to present).
Awesome I am excited to read it!

I think these optional Elder Dungeons would not only make use of the currently wasted Eldet mechanics (since they are 1-shot by high levels), but also provide an actual introduction to group content for new players.

The level 10 Elder Dungeon for example is something that a crew of lower levels should be able to do without a doubt! As the Elder Dungeons grow in level (30, 40, 50 etc.) then they get tougher, require better coordination and gear. This gradual increase in difficulty is what we need

Reactions: MommaT1996
  • Likex1

Math Fish

Squirrel
Characters
Math Fish
Platform
Steam
Please, I don't want the Legendary Four to become villains, other that this I like the idea.
I don't want to fight the legendary four! It's bad enough Sarah got us to kill
samuel
!!!!
I chose the Legendary Four in this case for several reasons (in more particular order):
  • How Mallok became "evil" is a result of the selfishness of the world, particularly that of the Legendary Four themselves. Yes, when adversity came they united, but why did it have to come to that? Shouldn't the goodness in people be enough of a catalyst to desire unity?
  • This is not meant to display the Legendary Four as evil, but rather explore how even the greatest among us have faults that can lead to dire consequences. I wanted us to ask the question, "How can we improve upon this?", not reject the confrontation because we have placed them upon a pedestal. Every story in Villagers and Heroes that I know of involves a person or group of people being rejected before seeking revenge against their offenders. Many of Mallok's followers are either rejected by society themselves or came to Mallok's support because of *his* rejection. In fact, I would argue that we are more evil than the enemy we seek to destroy because our ancient society was so disapproving of others (but that is a discussion for another day).
  • The story: How many battles have a story behind it like this one?
To answer your concern more directly, I feel like there are some things that can be done to circumvent this:
  1. First, and foremost, come to the realization that we have yet to fight a purely evil creature in this game (yes, even that detestable fairy in mid-game). Even the standard mobs were only driven mad after Mallok (or some derivative curse of some sort) released his vengeful warcry into the air.
  2. Even if the Legendary Four are pure good, they are dead. The emphasis of this battle is to tell a story, not slay an evil being nor corrupt a currently good being. In fact, the story told during the fight reconciles their mistake, imo. It would have nothing to do with the main story and would be entirely optional (like a dungeon).
  3. The lore behind this could be constructed in such a way as to keep the Legendary Four on their pedestal:
    • Maybe some terrible Necromancer found their corpses and he/she is the real menace behind it.
    • Maybe we are not fighting the Legendary Four themselves, but the embodiment of their lingering regret.
    • Maybe something else I couldn't think of in 5 minutes.

Instead of modeling this on the Legendary Four, what about cloning some of the Guardians of the Realms to battle?
I assume you mean the "Protectors" mentioned in the Shaman origin story? If so, it would not have nearly as great an impact as this battle would ... but I could see it happening. I don't know a single one of them by name as they are not really that noteworthy.

If, however, you mean people like Kave and Katniss ... while I find that quite hilarious to imagine Kave fighting himself, I can hardly see this working because:
  1. They are idolized even more so than the Legendary Four. The Guardians have earned their title through doing great things for our community and would present an even greater problem fighting than four people we know only in a legend. (unless, ofc, people just want to pick on Kave ... then that's fine with me lol)
  2. What could possibly be the reason for a battle to take place other than a challenge from the Guardian? The story would be quite difficult or even impossible in some cases. Perhaps narrowing it down to Guardians that are no longer with us would help, but point 1 still stands here and this would tarnish the name of the Guardians who left.
  3. This would actually encourage the one things that will cause many of us to leave: PvP. If we can fight the Guardians, why not fight other players as well?

Reactions: Seawolf
  • Likex1

KAVE

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
See Signature
Platform
PC
Last edited
KAVE's abilties include:
  • Blinding Text: One of my forum posts are selected at Random and the entirety of its text is dumped into the player's chat box and notifications, interrupting all communications
  • Paper Bag Subterfuge: KAVE spawns a handful of copies, each with a paper bag over their head. Each has a different name (KAVE, SKA, SKAAVVEEK, V, Arma, Kapr, Anarky). Players must find and defeat the correct version
  • Purple People Eater: KAVE begins glowing purple and begins charging up an attack. If any person uses profanity they are immediately eviscerated
  • Discord Bot API: When KAVE is close to death he will call upon his Discord Bots for aid. Battle his generals the PollMaster, V&H Bot, GiveawayBot and more in a deadly struggle for survival
  • Audio Interference: Throughout the fight players will experience audio interference where random voice clips of KAVE from the V&H Podcast will play on maximum volume, deafening players

Math Fish

Squirrel
Characters
Math Fish
Platform
Steam
KAVE's abilties include:
  • Blinding Text: One of my forum posts are selected at Random and the entirety of its text is dumped into the player's chat box and notifications, interrupting all communications
  • Paper Bag Subterfuge: KAVE spawns a handful of copies, each with a paper bag over their head. Each has a different name (KAVE, SKA, SKAAVVEEK, V, Arma, Kapr, Anarky). Players must find and defeat the correct version
  • Purple People Eater: KAVE begins glowing purple and begins charging up an attack. If any person uses profanity they are immediately eviscerated
  • Discord Bot API: When KAVE is close to death he will call upon his Discord Bots for aid. Battle his generals the PollMaster, V&H Bot, GiveawayBot and more in a deadly struggle for survival
  • Audio Interference: Throughout the fight players will experience audio interference where random voice clips of KAVE from the V&H Podcast will play on maximum volume, deafening players
Okay, I feel like in this case (a purely comical one) this kind of things might actually work. It would work well as end-game optional content.

Seawolf

Servant of Mallok
Platform
Android
KAVE's abilties include:
This sounds like a dream come true for me. Sign me up! ;)