logicalholmes

Warrior
Platform
PC
are earth shaman good tanks can they take on many mobs at a time im level 50 I am having a hard time with mobs.

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
Earth are middlin’ decent tanks. If you’re having problems with survivability, I’d take a look at maybe muddying up that build a little bit. Water shield (with points in water talents so that you get 20 charges, and 1 point in erosion to multiply ticks) will really make a difference. Increases your dmg too.

logicalholmes

Warrior
Platform
PC
Earth are middlin’ decent tanks. If you’re having problems with survivability, I’d take a look at maybe muddying up that build a little bit. Water shield (with points in water talents so that you get 20 charges, and 1 point in erosion to multiply ticks) will really make a difference. Increases your dmg too.
Oh ok ty I will ty

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
iOS
I think from my experience earth shamans are very dependent tanks they need healers to keep them alive unfortunately your own heals (water moves) are incompatibility with your threat output so in the end your either a full earth and can’t solo tank or a mix and can’t hold aggro compared to lightning warrior so are a dps/maybe off tank when warriors aren’t around.

logicalholmes

Warrior
Platform
PC
I think from my experience earth shamans are very dependent tanks they need healers to keep them alive unfortunately your own heals (water moves) are incompatibility with your threat output so in the end your either a full earth and can’t solo tank or a mix and can’t hold aggro compared to lightning warrior so are a dps/maybe off tank when warriors aren’t around.
ok ty

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
The way it stands today, an Earth Shaman (ES) cannot beat a Lightning Warrior (LW) in threat generation, no matter what (assuming like-for-like gear, levels, and rebirths). In fact, a much weaker LW can still dominate in threat generation.

Part of that is attributed to the respective differences in the talent tree, but some of it is just baked into the feats themselves. You see, warriors have more weapon feats that get a bonus to threat (3 vs 2 for Earth Shaman). Those feats aren’t just any feats; warriors get threat on two of their spammables, and shaman on none of theirs.

Shaman
FeatDamageThreatCooldown (unmodified)# per minuteDmg+Threat /per minuteClass Subtotal
CragStrike2.1061021.00
Rock Bite2.1087.515.75
SeismicShock2.252036.7543.50
Warrior

FeatDamageThreatCooldown (unmodified)# per minuteDmg+Threat /per minuteClass Subtotal
ThunderbirdStrike2.2561022.50
Pummel2.103.4087.541.25
Lightning Bolt0.852.5010620.1083.85
Every 60 seconds, Lightning Warriors generate about 30% more damage and more threat than an Earth Shaman, using their fastest cycling feats (that is including the earth shaman attune bonus).

If you expand the analysis further to include all feats (and assuming the earth shaman is spamming attune), LW still dominates ES in threat output. Lightning warriors have more weapon feats that generate threat, and they spend less time in cooldown, than comparable earth shaman.

Another part of the reason is that the talent trees play a role in the ‘baked in’ LW vs ES threat dominance problem. Spurring Jolts further contributes to the problem, and it’s not insignificant.

Meanwhile… Here is the tooltip for a Level 95 Earth Shaman’s Retaliate:
C17D6A32-A2A1-4B2D-A0F6-FD5037DC7D46.jpeg
… and Retaliate doesn’t get any mastery bonus, whereas a warrior gets a mastery bonus on all their threat generating abilities.

So… don’t play a Earth Shaman if you want to be the best tank. You’ll have to settle for being the best tank only when a real one isn’t around.

Reactions: Meagan and Antavious
  • Likex2

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Granted, it's harder on some classes than others but...
A well-built, well-geared, and well-played character of any class can solo almost anything in the game that's not classified as group content.

Bear in mind, that's my opinion and free opinions are never worth much more than half their cost. ;)

Reactions: Sinjin and logicalholmes
  • Likex2

logicalholmes

Warrior
Platform
PC
Granted, it's harder on some classes than others but...
A well-built, well-geared, and well-played character of any class can solo almost anything in the game that's not classified as group content.

Bear in mind, that's my opinion and free opinions are never worth much more than half their cost. ;)
Ty

AshCloud

Shaman
Platform
iOS
are earth shaman good tanks can they take on many mobs at a time im level 50 I am having a hard time with mobs.
I’ll add my .02 since most are saying shamans aren’t as good of a tank as lw. As a earth sham I’ll be it a bit windy and wet. I have no issue out threating lw in 95 elders or ez. If you build your sham more tanky You will have more survivability, plus throw in some water heals and
The way it stands today, an Earth Shaman (ES) cannot beat a Lightning Warrior (LW) in threat generation, no matter what (assuming like-for-like gear, levels, and rebirths). In fact, a much weaker LW can still dominate in threat generation.

Part of that is attributed to the respective differences in the talent tree, but some of it is just baked into the feats themselves. You see, warriors have more weapon feats that get a bonus to threat (3 vs 2 for Earth Shaman). Those feats aren’t just any feats; warriors get threat on two of their spammables, and shaman on none of theirs.

Shaman
CragStrike2.1061021.00
Rock Bite2.1087.515.75
SeismicShock2.252036.7543.50
Warrior

ThunderbirdStrike2.2561022.50
Pummel2.103.4087.541.25
Lightning Bolt0.852.5010620.1083.85
Every 60 seconds, Lightning Warriors generate about 30% more damage and more threat than an Earth Shaman, using their fastest cycling feats (that is including the earth shaman attune bonus).

If you expand the analysis further to include all feats (and assuming the earth shaman is spamming attune), LW still dominates ES in threat output. Lightning warriors have more weapon feats that generate threat, and they spend less time in cooldown, than comparable earth shaman.

Another part of the reason is that the talent trees play a role in the ‘baked in’ LW vs ES threat dominance problem. Spurring Jolts further contributes to the problem, and it’s not insignificant.

Meanwhile… Here is the tooltip for a Level 95 Earth Shaman’s Retaliate:
View attachment 15264
… and Retaliate doesn’t get any mastery bonus, whereas a warrior gets a mastery bonus on all their threat generating abilities.

So… don’t play a Earth Shaman if you want to be the best tank. You’ll have to settle for being the best tank only when a real one isn’t around.
So other than threat generation what makes the lw have more survivabilty? Do they not need a healer for elders/ez bosses? Do they require less healing?

Characters
BashaDrake, Elmeti, Knytro
Platform
Android
The only thing that makes Lightning Warrior a bit more survivable would be the Will to Live Ultimate which is a free "avoid death" card that activates once every 10 minutes, and Spirit of the Storm, which makes you invulnerable for 12 (? ) seconds.
From my experience as a level 95, 5 rebirth Lightning Warrior, I see Earth Shamans as just as good at tanking, and frequently better at threat.

AshCloud

Shaman
Platform
iOS
The only thing that makes Lightning Warrior a bit more survivable would be the Will to Live Ultimate which is a free "avoid death" card that activates once every 10 minutes, and Spirit of the Storm, which makes you invulnerable for 12 (? ) seconds.
From my experience as a level 95, 5 rebirth Lightning Warrior, I see Earth Shamans as just as good at tanking, and frequently better at threat.
Yay! Finally someone who doesn’t give the cookie cutter lw are better than shams response lol. I think I see that response so much about lw being the best that it has put a chip on my shoulder lol. Similiar abilities for sham, gais ward aka my hamster ball, erosion which staggers dmg taken. And if you care to max that talent tree terraform(earth shield basically) will make you invulnerable for 5 seconds or so can’t remember number.

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
Last edited
I believe Will to Live (edit: I meant “It’s Alive”, not “Will to Live”) is superior to Gaia’s Ward because it fires 100% of the time; shaman can die and have Gia’s Ward proc on the rez pad.

In my experience (and I’m wrong at least 3 times a day), the failing of Earth vs Light (in threat generation) has more to do with:

a) the earth elemental threat generation was nerfed to the point where the dirt monkey struggles pulling agro from anything, (earth elemental shouldn’t be able to steal agro from everything, but it should be able to steal agro from something before it expires.)

b) light warriors get bonus threat on their spammable feats, Earth generate their threat using feats that have cooldowns that vary from 1 minute to 3 minutes (compared to every 6/8 seconds for LW)

c) spurring jolts. There just isn’t anything that can keep up with an talent that both increases proc chance and has an ultimate that removes between 25% and 33% of the cooldown on spammable threat feats every time it fires (and it can fire several times a second).

d) retaliate does double-digit dmg at 95. It’s way too small. You could make it 10x what it is, and it’s still less dmg than a single Thunderbolt proc.

Reactions: Kulshan
  • Likex1

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
iOS
As for why lightning warrior has better def I chalk it mostly down to avoidance wich a basic LW has 40% block and 40% chance at halving magic damage wile the earth shaman has only 15% and no reduction to magic damage.

Giruv

Merchant
Royal Guardian
Characters
Verrier
Platform
PC
For leveling more often than not it's a matter of how good is your gear and if you're choosing the correct spell. So I recommend to try get a good crafted gear and may try adding Water Shield spell+Torrent ultimate which gonna make your life much easier.

As for if it is a good tank both tank class Lightning and Earth have their own positives. Personally I think Earth Shaman is a better tank class, but if there is a Lightning Warrior around Earth become more of a support class. In my opinion the main difference between the two (From maxed out perspective).

Warrior:
  • Higher Block chance, both physical and magical
  • Higher threat generation
  • Better Movement Spell
Shaman:
  • Better Mitigation from Retaliate so harder to get bursted to death
  • Better Immunity Spell 5s immunity with 60s cooldown (LW got 10s immunity with 3 minute cooldown.)
  • Got better support spell (defense reduction, crit chance reduction, and a whole lot more from wind tree)
  • Better Mana efficiency.
  • Not really a strength, but there are a lot more variance of Earth Shaman built

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
iOS
Well I put a lot of effort into looking at the tanking merits of shaman. the main things are shamans are inferior in threat, defence and speed. However if you want to sacrifice huge chunks of your build you can do ok.

best one is threat going for dps moves wind hybrid stuff you can output a lot more and defiantly stay top you just got to throw away all defence and speed.

defence is harder to compensate for basically erosion isn’t very useful in a long fight it catches up to you and your still taking the damage anyway (it’s best just to use 1 point to proc blasting/shields) other ways to gain def is to dump earth attune or a ton of mana and you can be your own healer. On the plus side with a talent in earth and wind that boosts hp you can probably stack more than a lightning warrior so you should lean into that.

speed, well at least the wind ultimate from the same talent as the hp is kinda like charge but for some reason it feels slower to me. Or you could wind attune for movement speed but give up earth for threat.

basically earth in theory can be better at anything however they just cant be better at everything needed all at the same time to be a better tank, shame really I like there retaliation stuff but it just doesn’t work that well if your not the best tank and/or surrounded.

Reactions: Tareco
  • Likex1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Earth Shaman Rocks! 🤘
But... My Fire Wizard is way hotter! 🔥👧
You're welcome. :)

Feel free to contact me if you are ever in the need of more insightful and helpful commentary. (y)

Deri

Servant of Mallok
Characters
Deri, Sister Derishy, Gruebitten
Platform
iOS
Nature Hunter obviously rules. If only the "run away" and "hide behind things" mechanics were, um, existed, then no one would debate our obvious choice as tank.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Nature Hunter obviously rules. If only the "run away" and "hide behind things" mechanics were, um, existed, then no one would debate our obvious choice as tank.
For a second I agreed with everything you said but then I realized you said nature and not marksman

Reactions: Deri
  • Hahax1

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
For a second I agreed with everything you said but then I realized you said nature and not marksman
Marksman don’t hide. They just concuss and murderate. Marks don’t kill for loots, they’re just keeping buff.

Reactions: Xhukari
  • Likex1

Tareco

Grand Priest
Characters
Tareco & GaiaFørce
Platform
Android, PC
I would like to point out that Gale Force still is a terrible ult. Is slow, has less reach and more than twice cooldown of both warrior skills, and a stupid delay between reaching the target and landing the hit. So, please, Mr. Devs, consider fixing it soon. I'm not even talking about changing how it work, just fixing these issues would be a great improvement for the mobility of shamans.

Reactions: Kulshan and Antavious
  • Likex2