Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
I've been thinking about the potential new interior housing and came up with a bunch of features I would like to see. Some of these features are easy enough to implement while others will take some time and additional resources. I'm just going to put them all here and see what you all think. Perhaps you can add some of your own.

• Rotation - I want to rotate any objects placed into my house in smaller increments than what appears to be 90 degrees. Ideally, we would have a 1 degree interval and a "free mode" that lets us eyeball it.
  • Offset - I want to be able to slide objects along all 3 axes (yes that is the plural of axis lol). It appears that objects are stuck in a 1 by 1 area which is quite large for something like a house interior. I'd like to see the offsets be 1/100th of a unit, if possible, with the option to increment in larger amounts.
  • Display Stands - This would typically be for smaller objects, but you could do this for a larger object using a larger stand for a hefty price increase.
  • Wall and Ceiling Items - Paintings, banners, hanging lights, cobwebs, whatever you want. :)
  • Mount/Companion Pens - A place for our mounts and pets to roam. Size and number of "roamers" may need to be limited, of course.
  • Armor Stand - For putting sets of gear on display or dressing up with cosmetic items. Ideally I'd like to have multiple of these.
  • Interactable Items - Chairs you can sit on, lights you can toggle, altars you can activate, chests and drawers that open and close, stuff like that.
  • Jukebox (or music box) - Something to play in-game music or ambient noise. They could come with a setting to have them play throughout your house or in a specific area.
  • Achievement/Trophy Wall - Something on which to put our rewards ... or an item which represents and achievement/quest/whatever that we can plop down.
  • Themes - At least one for each event zone, one for each of the Seven Realms, character-based ones ... these can be interior looks or sounds. And, of course, they should probably be as hard to acquire as a new event mount (if not more).
  • Option to change the look of walls, wallpaper, floor, floor layout, ceiling style, doors, windows, and so on.
  • Ambient effects - I'm sure some people love those butterflies in the tutorial area or those candles in The Cathedral. How about we get a bunch of those? :)
  • Multi-Tile Assets - I assume current objects take up 1 tile a piece. If so, I would like to be able to put larger items (like carriages, a small boat, or a medium statue).
  • Presets - This is like the "themes", but designed to give an entire interior look for someone who just doesn't feel like decorating (or is really bad at it lol).
  • Last one for now: I would like any options that we change on a scale (like rotation or offset) to have a custom input and slider on them. Please and thank you! rofl

Sinjin

Jack Of All Trades
Platform
iOS
People wanting ‘chairs here’ and ‘tables there’… sooner or later, somebody is gonna show up and want a bowl of potatoes on a trophy stand. (Garden procs rare harvesting stuff as reci item for housing goods.)

- Display armor stand(s) dressed from wardrobe.

Reactions: Zaphyra and Regar
  • Likex2

Math Fish

Squirrel
Royal Guardian
Characters
Math Fish (Marksman), Shama Fisha (Water), Accursed Angelfish (Shadow), Logical Loach (Fire)
Platform
PC, Steam
I also want Bathechildis’ head mounted on the wall. But that might raise the attention of the authorities.
I thought about asking for a cuckoo clock on the front of my house that makes screaming goat noises, but thought that might raise the attention of people with pitchforks.

BadgerReborn

Squirrel
Characters
BadgerReborn, Badger66, TheLastBadger, BadgerSham
Platform
Android, PC
how come no one has mentioned coffee maker yet o_O
where have all the coffee junkies disappeared to ?
where's my tribe gone

Reactions: Littlenymph and Zaphyra
  • Likex1
  • Hahax1

Littlenymph

Squirrel
Characters
Layla Littlenymph
Platform
PC, Steam
Great OP. A lot of specifics that I would have probably forgotten.

Display armor stand(s) dressed from wardrobe.
Yes, please.
Mannequins that can be dressed from wardrobe.
Ability to wall-mount shields and banners.
Weapons racks and stands for a choice of floor or wall display.

I thought about asking for a cuckoo clock on the front of my house that makes screaming goat noises, but thought that might raise the attention of people with pitchforks.
*Note to devs: Suggest a facepalm emoji that can be affixed to any post regarding screaming goats.

how come no one has mentioned coffee maker yet o_O
where have all the coffee junkies disappeared to ?
where's my tribe gone
Medieval Coffee Makers consisted of a tin pot to hold the water and coffee and a serf to do the making. The good news is that the bread maker. dish washer, can opener and, all other appliances could make use of the same power source so you would only have to add one serf to start adding automated appliances.

Reactions: Sinjin and BadgerReborn
  • Likex2

Constantine ElSheba

Arch Wizard
Characters
ElSheba, ElMarie, el lisa
Platform
Android
Last edited
If I remember correctly, in the livestream they said there would be more rooms. If so, I would like to manually configure the position of the rooms and modify them like:
  • One above the other like in a tower.
  • One far away from another like those ancient chinese residences with houses and courtyards blended. Where multiple rooms are separated but connected by opened corridors.
  • The rooms shape. Like square, round, etc.
  • Height. Different heights between rooms and different heights between room floors.
  • Mezzanine. Or the ability to open a ceiling/floor to create a double-height ceilinged room.
  • Vaulted ceilings.
  • Open walls, arches.
  • Separate walls.
  • Staircases.
  • Balconies.
  • Floor pools.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
My view on housing has always been the same, and remains so. Essentially I want housing interiors to give me something to do - and the more the better.

So I want to be able to use woodcraft to manufacture tables, chairs, cupboards ,wardrobes, bookshelves ...(you get the picture) and I want to be able to make them using designs from Ardent, Stormhold, Thorncrest, Halcyon etc. I want to be able to tailor carpets, curtains, tapestries ... "cook" dyes and paints, craft metallic furniture and ornaments, hang trophies of my triumphs in combat, display maps or exotic items acquired all across the world during my travels ... the list goes on and on. And then there is the garden - I want to be able to have an ornamental garden, not just a field to grow crops for harvesting, but to plant plants for decoration, again to include exotic plants from all around the world as well as local produce, and I'd also like an orchard, an arboretum, and a safari park where I help preserve endangered species like the Shiverspine shivernewts and the Memorial pond needlers, as well as providing a safe refuge for poor old Prisma.

Of course, adding all of that in one go is a huge endeavour, and one which I think is really too much to ask, but my hope would be, that once house interiors are added, every subsequent patch woould include at least the odd new piece of furniture, or a new combat trophy or two. Given the suggestion that houses would be instanced and expandable, I would also hope that I could also expand the tended land around my house to over time add features like the ornamental garden and safari park, and perhaps pasture for my mounts as well.

I would also like most of these things to be available to everyone. The combat trophies should of course be exactly that, so should be items won in combat, and or by completing specific quests, and I would like to see a few special items which can only be obtained in for example Rye or the Zorian Bountylands, or perhaps from completing platinum or even heroic raids. For me, though, the emphasis should be on few - most items (or in most cases the recipes to make them), even Halcyon furniture for example, should be obtainable from travelling vendors scattered around the lower level zones (though by lower level I would probably include all zones up to and including Traven). Note that when I say "few" and "most" I am deliberately using relative terms. Contrary to what some might think based on some of my previous posts, I am actually all in favour of rare, exclusive items earned by only a few players. I just don't want housing decoration to be something that gives you a choice between filling your house with 25 identical chairs or reaching level 75 combat to be able to make a second type of chair.

I would also love to see a whole raft of lower level but fairly lengthy quests to obtain recipes for housing items - something akin to the Christmas toy recipes - and I am personally ok with needing large numbers of materials of several different types. What I am not ok with is the likes of the crafting mastery quests - I should not need to kill a level 50 elder to make a table. Have trophies for killing elders by all means - that fits perfectly with the concept - but don't make killing x or y a condition of crafting an item for your house.

I would also like to see some interactivity with housing items. By that I mean it should be possible to sit down on a chair, lie down on the bed, pick up and read a book or even eat items off the table. Further to that, and I admit I am not 100% sure on this one, but I think I would quite like to see a small degree of functionality from housing - the ability to earn small temporary buffs from housing activities. One example might be feeding your mounts in their pasture for a small (5% say) increase in mount speed. Another option might be the possibility of earning a buff for the following day based on what you were doing when you logged out - eg, sit down and read a crafting manual to gain a crafting buff for the next day, or lie down on the bed for a little more rested bonus.

So in summary, what I want for housing interior and exterior is things I can make and do using my village skills, and at risk of sounding greedy, I want lots and lots of them.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Last edited
To expand a little on the "lots and lots of them" a little, let's look at the example of chairs.

What I would like to see are crafting recipes along the lines of the following .

Level 1 - pine stool - very simple and basic, three legs and a wooden top.
Level 5 - pine chair - again, pretty basic "dining room chair" four legs, a wooden seat and a back
Level 5 - embroidered pine stool - like the basic one, but with the addition of an embroidered cloth seat (made as a separate ingredient using tailory).
Level 10 - ornate pine chair - essentially the same as the basic pine one, but with the legs and back shaped or patterned
Level 10 - embroidered pine chair - as with the embroidered stool, just adding an embroidered cloth seat to the pine chair
Level 14 - embroidered ornate pine chair - as with the embroidered stool, just adding an embroidered cloth seat to the ornate pine chair

All of the above would then repeat using oak, ash, teak etc (as a minimum a different texture to the wood, ideally a slightly different actual model, eg the oak stool could have 4 legs, the chair a different shape to the actual seat etc.)

Next would be different styles from each of the seven realms - different shapes to the legs, solid back or bars, straight back or curved etc.

Next we have armchairs, which could have cloth or leather covers (again those would be crafted separately using tailory from cloth or pelts). Further variety could be added by having models which had cushions on the seat or a blanket or throw over the top. (that is, there woould be a recipe for "Halcyon armchair with blue throw" as well as one for "Halcyon armchair").

Now, like I said, all this would obviously take a lot of time to produce (just the dining chairs I mentioned above, with seven types of wood and seven realms makes 294 different chairs, add the armchairs with cushions and blankets made with different cloth and leather, with different designs from each realm and you are over 1000, and that's just chairs made from wood, there's still an option of metal framed chairs). Realistically, with the resources available to Mad Otter, completing all that is not feasible anytime soon. But then, back in 2011, adding over a hundred zones, having a max level of 95 (and considering 105) and having literally thousands of weapons, items of gear etc probably didn't seem feasible either (or at least not anytime soon). This is why I believe the best way forward is that we have a (hopefully fairly wide) range of items to begin, but that the range is extended by at least a few new items with each patch that follows. Come to think of it I never even mentioned event themed designs of chairs - add a few hundred more on to the list.

Obviously I am indulging in a little wishful thinking here. I can't really imagine having over 1000 types of chair alone (and what would be the point anyway, no one is going to have that many chairs in their house anyhow). In principle, though, I would like to see a wide range of different types of furniture etc, and I think it is good that there is some form of progression from basic to ornate and through different realms and events.

My greatest hope for housing is that it keeps me and Mad Otter busy for many more years to come.

Edit : corrected a minor error in the Maths.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
Steam
Perhaps it would be possible to cut down on those numbers by making the highest level chairs 'designs for which craft masters of all the realms got together to make'. Then instead of 50 chairs maybe add only 10

Jolon

Adventurer
Characters
Jolon, Jenalya
Platform
iOS
To expand a little…
Obviously I am indulging in a little wishful thinking here. I can't really imagine having over 1000 types of chair alone
I was drooling with glee reading your ideas Majenta - love it!!!

I would love love love to see implemented with this newly expanded craft selection (sooner rather than later) specific daily, weekly, maybe even monthly or seasonal craft quests where maybe there is a reason that 1000 chairs need to be crafted to fully supply the King of Stormhold’s gala event with seating for example. We have some rather long combat quests (Salty Sanity I’m looking at you), so I think the Villagers would thrive with something similar in scope. Maybe that huge order of chairs is for the Autumnal Gala and there is two months to complete it, but then also a weekly caravan arrives with new NPCs Peddler Pauly, Monger Martin, Wayfarer Wanda, Grocer Gil, or Purveyor Patriza who have a random assortment of quite a few different crafted, grown, gathered goods they request to complete within a week. And then maybe a daily or repeatable Mendicant Mayfair who pops into Ardent with a request for a random item scaled to level like the repeatable combat patrols.

All these could be toon exclusive and/or include a huge order that an entire guild or village could work on. Maybe the caravan is toon-specific, but a cargo ship docking in each village could occupy residents in a communal activity. Have rewards grant XP in skills used and a reasonable amount of coins to make it a feasible profit for ingredients and time invested. And for a large project a bonus akin to Wellspring for village members who participate up to a minimum level.

Zaphyra

Master Villager
Characters
Retired
Platform
Android, PC
Honestly, I'll be happy if the interiors of our houses have furniture, wallpaper and flooring... like those found in Animal Crossing... with the option to rotate items and sit in chairs or lie in a bed... and maybe a Closet to store extra home decor, so we can redecorate whenever we want... and the ability to add more rooms... display achievements, trophies, gear and fashion... maybe even personal crafting stations, that give extra buffs... like increased crafting speed. 🤩

And exterior options for different holiday decor... Gingerbread houses, Mushroom houses, Mini Castles, Mini Palaces, Log Cabins, Desert Tents... and furniture sets to match, so we may work towards collecting all the sets... and of course gardens for decorative plants, statues, furniture and pet or mount pens, etc. 😍