Phergus

Master Gatherer
Platform
  1. PC
Saved up my charter coins to get a crafting specialization but now find myself doubting there is any value in Weapon or Armor Spec. The description says,
a chance to craft weapons with Epic stats; recipe mastery is treated as if you have an extra rank/star
A chance? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000? At 10% I might do it but, worse than that, nah, I'll pass. Once I get mastery in a recipe I rarely make more than 10 and just take the best one of the bunch plus 1 or 2 others to gnogment runes from.

What does having an extra rank/star buy you if you are already at master (30)? I'm guessing it just means that once you have made 20 you'll get the 95%/25% rune chances instead of making those extra 10. Not sure that's enough value for the cost.

Potion Spec is starting to look a little more useful as at least I could make Treasure and Malice drams. Do you actually get the recipes automatically once you spec? I hope there aren't a bunch of hoops to be jumped through before you get the recipes.

Prep Spec seems marginally useful all of the time I guess.

Does anyone want to make a pitch for which spec to waste my coins on?

Reactions: Renaiss
  • Likex1

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie, Neither, Baa
Platform
  1. PC
What does having an extra rank/star buy you if you are already at master (30)? I'm guessing it just means that once you have made 20 you'll get the 95%/25% rune chances instead of making those extra 10.
An extra rank means that you will start rolling pieces of gear with rare stats after you have only made 10 items instead of after you have made 20 items. You'll start getting a decent strength on the reinforcement runes after crafting 20 times, although you will still get the strongest runes after crafting the item 30 times. Having the armor master spec makes the biggest difference with the recipes that you are just gaining mastery in, imo!
A chance? 1 out of 10? 1 out of 100? 1 out of 1000? At 10% I might do it but, worse than that, nah, I'll pass. Once I get mastery in a recipe I rarely make more than 10 and just take the best one of the bunch plus 1 or 2 others to gnogment runes from.
It's RNG. Sometimes, after I have earned that 5th star in a recipe, I'll roll an epic the very next time, or the second time. Sometimes, I get an epic after crafting an additional 10 times or less. Other times, it can be more like 20-30 times. It's totally random, however, what I have noticed is that my weapons master seems to roll epics MUCH faster than my armor master does! No clue of why, but this has been the case since crafting specs were added, however many years ago that was. (About 5-6 years, I think??)
Potion Spec is starting to look a little more useful as at least I could make Treasure and Malice drams. Do you actually get the recipes automatically once you spec? I hope there aren't a bunch of hoops to be jumped through before you get the recipes.
As you level up your cooking, additional recipes for your potions master will unlock automatically.

The only hoop you might need to jump through are for the level 90-94ish drams. Not sure if it has changed in the intervening years, but to get those two recipes, I had to talk to Steery in Ardent City, once my cooking level was high enough. The only hoop I know that you definitely have to jump through involves those loot-drop only, epic recipes for the level 95 Blighted Treasure dram and Blighted Malice dram. Once you have obtained those two recipes and have access to the zone, you go to an npc on an island in Ash White (E4ish, I think) and have them "translated."
I have all of the crafting specs except for Production. (I view that one as pretty much useless, although I might consider getting that for my sixth toon, since toon #5 has set aside enough charter tokens to BUY a crafting spec, but is holding out for a jewelry maker, furniture maker, or something more essential.)

My recommendation (all these years later) is still to get Armor or Weapons master first! When you're at end game and you begin to get recipes dropping from the 95 elders, those recipes are far less appealing and nowhere near as useful on any crafting specs other than armor master and weapons master!! Yes, it's true that this many years after those recipes were added to the game, there are quite a few people on each server who have mastered the various recipes on their armor/weapons master. But you never know when people you're relying on to make gear for you will quit playing!

I remember a mass exodus after recipe mastery was added only to level 70-75 recipes, before crafting specs were added to the game. Level cap at the time was either 75 or 77. There was a group of unhappy players who had been at level cap for awhile, and many of them quit playing, taking their recipe mastery for certain subclasses with them!! Those who were left behind who hadn't kept up with their crafting skills were suddenly left afloat in a boat, in the middle of a lake, with no oars or paddles!

My advice is to always have your armor master and weapons master be your two highest-level "main" toons. After a level cap raise, those are the toons which you will want to level combat on before all the others!! And who knows what recipes will be available as loot drop-only after the next level cap raise, whenever that might happen! :D

Halleebell

Squirrel
Characters
Hallee/Freyra
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. PC
An extra rank means that you will start rolling pieces of gear with rare stats after you have only made 10 items instead of after you have made 20 items. You'll start getting a decent strength on the reinforcement runes after crafting 20 times, although you will still get the strongest runes after crafting the item 30 times. Having the armor master spec makes the biggest difference with the recipes that you are just gaining mastery in, imo!

It's RNG. Sometimes, after I have earned that 5th star in a recipe, I'll roll an epic the very next time, or the second time. Sometimes, I get an epic after crafting an additional 10 times or less. Other times, it can be more like 20-30 times. It's totally random, however, what I have noticed is that my weapons master seems to roll epics MUCH faster than my armor master does! No clue of why, but this has been the case since crafting specs were added, however many years ago that was. (About 5-6 years, I think??)

As you level up your cooking, additional recipes for your potions master will unlock automatically.

The only hoop you might need to jump through are for the level 90-94ish drams. Not sure if it has changed in the intervening years, but to get those two recipes, I had to talk to Steery in Ardent City, once my cooking level was high enough. The only hoop I know that you definitely have to jump through involves those loot-drop only, epic recipes for the level 95 Blighted Treasure dram and Blighted Malice dram. Once you have obtained those two recipes and have access to the zone, you go to an npc on an island in Ash White (E4ish, I think) and have them "translated."

I have all of the crafting specs except for Production. (I view that one as pretty much useless, although I might consider getting that for my sixth toon, since toon #5 has set aside enough charter tokens to BUY a crafting spec, but is holding out for a jewelry maker, furniture maker, or something more essential.)

My recommendation (all these years later) is still to get Armor or Weapons master first! When you're at end game and you begin to get recipes dropping from the 95 elders, those recipes are far less appealing and nowhere near as useful on any crafting specs other than armor master and weapons master!! Yes, it's true that this many years after those recipes were added to the game, there are quite a few people on each server who have mastered the various recipes on their armor/weapons master. But you never know when people you're relying on to make gear for you will quit playing!

I remember a mass exodus after recipe mastery was added only to level 70-75 recipes, before crafting specs were added to the game. Level cap at the time was either 75 or 77. There was a group of unhappy players who had been at level cap for awhile, and many of them quit playing, taking their recipe mastery for certain subclasses with them!! Those who were left behind who hadn't kept up with their crafting skills were suddenly left afloat in a boat, in the middle of a lake, with no oars or paddles!

My advice is to always have your armor master and weapons master be your two highest-level "main" toons. After a level cap raise, those are the toons which you will want to level combat on before all the others!! And who knows what recipes will be available as loot drop-only after the next level cap raise, whenever that might happen! :D
Okay so I’m not the only one that noticed my weapons master crafts more epics and it takes fewer crafts then my armor spec.. But with how much a armor master has to craft you would think it would be the reverse. There’s twice as much work being done on armor. Idk. Weapons spec is definitely more cost effective then armor. Armor is a true money pit.

Reactions: Renaiss and Xantia
  • Likex2

Xantia

Arch Wizard
Characters
Xantia
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
I'd recommend a Weapon Spec. A good Weapon is useful throughout the leveling process and extras are often easy to sell. IMHO, Weapons are worth the time and resources used to craft a good one.

If you don't enjoy gear-crafting or find it too expensive, then I recommend a Potion Spec. 🙂

Phergus

Master Gatherer
Platform
  1. PC
Thanks, everyone for the insights and thoughts on specialization. Very much appreciated. :) I'm going to go with Weapon Spec to start with.

@Zazie Yes, the game runs off of random numbers but everything is assigned a chance of that particular thing occurring. We know from the description of the recipe masteries that at Rank 4 you have a 65% chance of getting a reinforcement rune on a robe and a 15% chance of an additional rare rune. At Rank 5, the numbers go to 95% and 25%. The chance of getting an Epic is left unstated. I'm betting that the chance of an epic will be less than 20% and possibly as low as 10%. I'll see once I have a sample size of 1000 or so items crafted at Rank 5.

Reactions: Renaiss and Xantia
  • Likex2

Phergus

Master Gatherer
Platform
  1. PC
Some follow-up on the epic chances.
Craft 1100 various weapons (11 batches of 100) where the recipes had already been mastered, i.e. already made 30+ of them, and these are the numbers: 17, 19, 17, 18, 15, 10, 14, 10, 10, 14, 20
The sample size isn't really large enough to draw conclusions from but here are the statistics anyway:
Average: 14.91
Mean: 15.00
StdDev: 3.67
Variance: 13.49

So far, it looks like the chance is about 15%. I will be tracking weapon crafting going forward to see if this continues to hold true.

Reactions: Xantia
  • Likex1

Landenen

Adventurer
Characters
Hunt, Grace, Blade, Gale, Blaze, Malificent, Mark, Furia, Glacia
Platform
  1. iOS
  2. PC
Let me ask you first, how many characters do you have or intend on having? If the number is more then 2, I think preps is a great first choice for specialization. Reason being, prep master can help fund you in acquiring more charter tokens and does it for free. If less then 3, I’d choose either. Yes armor master is very expensive- you need to make 30 of each item in order to give star the item- that’s a lot of mats need to acquire. But who doesn’t like a great set of armor? When I did my armor master I just concentrated on doing cloth armors- cloth is armor for the majority of players as it encompasses wizards and priests- then I added leather, then lastly moved onto working at smithy. And yes it certainly does occur that after you’ve made the initial investment of 30 ( for sake of argument) gloves. I’ve had it occur that ive needed to make another 30, 40 or more additional pieces before an epic was produced. Things do change however when begin making mythic armor- I can’t recall exact number off hand but do not need to produce 30 pieces before produce an epic. Also, you can produce natural legendary mythic items that have a power level of 1000 to 1005 prior to enhancing.
Additionally each specialization has recipes that you need to find our purchase. Also upon acquiring the dropped recipes you need to seek out its respective trainer in blight to actually learn it.
As far as value? I don’t really understand why anyone would purposefully handicap themselves with equipment that is mediocre- Personally I’d much rather be the guy wielding a weapon that will do more damage . And the armor that gives me the best protection.

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
I’m an armour smith, wile I don’t regret the choice it was quite different from what I was expecting when I selected it. Too be fair I went out of my way very early to get it (2nd week of play)

for starters the % chance of getting epic’s might be a sliding scale perhaps a high chance with low lvl recipes but as recipe lvl gets higher the chance seams to decrease.

next due to the limitations on which stats/glyphs are available you end up making a choice at max lvl: do you want to squeeze out more stats/glyphs? (top crafted ones have 50% more than dropped) or do you want more choice in which stats/glyphs?

the particular glyph I wanted to prioritise wasn’t one you can get on crafted gear so immediately I was a little disappointed but I still got quite a bit out of making/using great gear as I was lvling and it was a big factor in my soloing of the elders 20-70.

once I got to max I spent forever and a lot of recourses crafting the best combinations of stats/glyphs on the best gear pieces but ultimately found the availability too limiting and decided if I didn’t want to be just another factory spat out toon I had to scrap the lot and use dropped instead which I did and I’m more “me” because of it.

so basically I found 95 armour smithing to be too restrictive but I enjoyed/benefited from it wile I was growing so don’t regret the choice. I do think a different spec would probably benefit me more now.

Phergus

Master Gatherer
Platform
  1. PC
for starters the % chance of getting epic’s might be a sliding scale perhaps a high chance with low lvl recipes but as recipe lvl gets higher the chance seams to decrease.
That's certainly a concern of mine. I'm keeping a log of all the weapons I'm crafting so I'll see how it goes.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far as starting with an Epic weapon as a base is nice. I may have to spec armor on a different character later.

• Likex1

Phergus

Master Gatherer
Platform
  1. PC
Numbers Update
Weapons made since first test batches.
Weapon
Epics​
Total Made​
Percentage Epics​
46 Water Axe​
4​
79​
5.06%​
41 Water Axe​
9​
40​
22.50%​
26 F. Staff​
8​
40​
20.00%​
31 F. Staff​
5​
31​
16.13%​
36 F. Staff​
6​
43​
13.95%​
41 F. Staff​
5​
46​
10.87%​
51 F. Staff​
8​
60​
13.33%​
45​
339​
13.27%​

The terrible numbers for the 46 Water Axe dragged the recent average down a lot and the overall average down by a little.
Total Weapons Made: 1439
Number of Epics: 209
Previous Overall Avg: 14.91%
New Overall Average: 14.52%, down 0.39%

• Likex1