Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna, Lord Villian
Platform
Android
It seems that most people have a problem with the system: Player Encouraged Reporting

One way to force systemic change is to break the system... If everyone who disagrees with Player Encouraged Reporting submits a report, or multiple reports, then CS will be flooded with nonsense and forced to figure out a clever solution.

Another possibility is to just not participate, also making it obsolete. However, this is a slower route for change.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Flooding the system with spurious reports will have only one effect - the exploiters will get away with it since the genuine reports will be lost in the deluge.

I VERY strongly suggest not doing this.

Nadiria

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Platform
iOS
It seems that most people have a problem with the system: Player Encouraged Reporting

One way to force systemic change is to break the system... If everyone who disagrees with Player Encouraged Reporting submits a report, or multiple reports, then CS will be flooded with nonsense and forced to figure out a clever solution.

Another possibility is to just not participate, also making it obsolete. However, this is a slower route for change.
You *do* remember that "CS" at MOG is just.one.person? Sarah Otter does so much more than "just" CS - but she also handles Customer Service with genuine compassion and care for every player (and stays amazingly calm, given how passionate we can be about our characters and villages and Guilds!)

As @Majenta said above, the exploiters "win" if too many false reports are dumped via CS tickets. And Sarah Otter - along with all of us players who are (literally) playing by the rules - will be the real losers here.

And don't come back at me, and tell me "that's her job". If someone was advocating that anarchy be unleashed on YOU at YOUR job, you wouldn't stand still for it - and I would stand up for you, just exactly the same as I did for her. Remember the old Golden Rule, my friend - treat others the way you want to be treated.

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna, Lord Villian
Platform
Android
And don't come back at me, and tell me "that's her job".
You don't have to like my suggestion, and I don't have to care that you don't like my suggestion.

The seed has been planted.

I see the following options to this problem.
1. Use the system
2. Break the system
3. Ignore the system
4. Complain about the system

Choose whatever you will.

Nadiria

Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Platform
iOS
You don't have to like my suggestion, and I don't have to care that you don't like my suggestion.

The seed has been planted.

I see the following options to this problem.
1. Use the system
2. Break the system
3. Ignore the system
4. Complain about the system

Choose whatever you will.
I see another option: Work *with* the Devs - they have proven to be extremely open to suggestions and input from players in the past - and find a solution that doesn't break Customer Service, doesn't hurt innocent players and does effectively end the issue at hand.

But that takes a little time, and certainly a willingness to be open to new ideas, and probably compromise on all sides. Luckily for all of us players, the Otters are very receptive to our input. Let's make that input something that is viable, and not just a leap to the nuclear option.

I choose to be part of the solution, and I hope to be apart of the conversation between players and the Devs. At level 90, you have enough time invested here that surely you want to see a fair and reasonable solution as well. That's all I'm advocating for; let's don't make things (inadvertently) worse for any of us in the short term to force a solution that will be less-than-ideal for everyone.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Hmm... players who in all honesty don't have any means to truly judge if botting is an issue don't see any problem, Devs who have the tools to see if it actually is, know there is a problem - who could possibly be right?

It comes down to this - botters, cheaters and exploiters damage the game, and ultimately harm all of us. Whether there are only a few or many, they are still damaging the game.

It is true that you have various options as regards the reporting system. I would offer the following further advice for each of the options given above.

Choose option one if you care about the game and want to protect it (though see also option three)
Choose option two if you are a botter, cheat or exploiter who doesn't want to get caught, or though not actually a botter yourself, you know full well that the player you bought that cut price outfit from is.
Choose option three if you either don't care about the game one little jot (at least not enough to bother doing anything to help protect it from cheats) or you do care about the game but are uncomfortable with the NKVD overtones inherent in players reporting on their friends.
Choose option four if you just like trolling, are one of those already mentioned in option 2 but just a little less open about it, or you really think players reporting potential cheats in a game is right up there with jailing Nelson Mandela.

Citizen
Characters
Karma, Boot
Platform
Steam
I was going to make a rather heated post about some of the "suggestions" I read, but instead I'll just post this from the TOS.

14.2 "Users are aware that they are playing the Game together with numerous other Users, and/or that they are communicating with various Users over the additional services. In order to facilitate vigorous interaction, observance of the rules is necessary. Users acknowledge the Game rules and the participation requirements of the Game as binding. Users shall comply with the instructions of Mad Otter or one of its designate representatives. In all other respects, Users shall refrain from any action that disturbs the Game and the additional services and the vigorous interaction. The User is particularly obligated to not bring in and/or transmit into the Game any content that is against the law or public policy. This particularly includes content that spurs racial hatred, is likely to endanger the moral welfare of children or teenagers or impairs them in their well-being, or could damage the reputation of Mad Otter." (bold added by me)

'nuff said?

Regards

ps: my favorite response to the "Are you a bot" whisper is "Get off my lawn"

Characters
Tiffa, Kitty Witch
Platform
Android, PC
I my self don't mind if someone ask me if I'm a bot (and yes it has happened once or trice over the 9 months I've been playing), because I,m doing hours of endless gathering and watching Anime, Television or listing to music at the same time. I have learned to move my character to other types of material nodes so that I'm not Hogging the Node for hours on end and so other see me move to keep the "Is that Player a Bot" from entering their minds. Talking in Public chat (asking questions and answering question of other players is the best way to let people know that you are you and not a bot) also helps keep others from harassing you.

Reactions: Ibicu and Nadiria
  • Likex2

Damon Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hi Everyone,
Please don't worry that we will ever mistake someone playing the game normally for a bot. We can tell for certain if a toon is being run by a bot or a real person. We have many different ways to check, double-check, etc.

The cases we saw were very SEVERE and very EGREGIOUS - people botting all night while they slept, gaining incredible amounts of gold, etc. Stuff like that. These were also players who had used major exploits in the past. PLEASE DON'T WORRY WE WILL HARM HONEST PLAYERS BY MISTAKE - WE WON'T :)

No one should feel the need to police other players.

Botting does cause some harm to the game. It leads to inflation for one thing. We could fix that by removing any gems as a reward for gathering, but then that makes gathering less fun and less rewarding for honest players. It also costs us actual money because we have to pay for the servers that host "players" who aren't actually playing the game. More hardware to host the bots costs more money. The hardware is there to pay for people to play, not to have bots eating up server resources.

We do have some ways to prevent botting, but it takes time to implement these ideas. We will get some fixes in place. It is too bad, however, because that is developer time that could be spent making the game more fun for honest players (more features, more content!) instead of spending time playing defense against the cheaters.

Damon

Tiberius

Neonga Nation
Forum Moderator
In addition to what Damon, Sarah and Diet already said in this thread and regrdless what you might think about it, please DO NOT flood our customer support with false/nonsense/whatever you want to call it tickets, since we, believe it or not, don't really like to have our small developer/CS ressources abused by such a behaviour. This might not only get you into trouble, but will also lead to longer response times for users with real problems. I suggest you try a more constructive approach if you want changes. Thanks!

Another possibility is to just not participate (...)
As Damon has already said, no one should feel the need to police other players. So yes, that is totally ok.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Instead, send a customer support ticket or bug report. Clearly type out what you saw and what happened. Make sure to include the player’s exact name! Screenshots are a HUGE plus.

How do i report a player that just has ??????????? symbols.
The ????????? players that i clicked on in the past have been banned or they have reached 90 max lvl don't do it or found a new cheat system. A few months back I could click on the folks mining a spot and that would cause there toon to stop and just stand there and wobble and i would venture back that way an hour later and still doing the same thing, just standing there with a wobble and thats how i knew (well guessed) i interrupted there bot.
Anyhow how do i send a ticket in for that, um a person with 5 ????? symbols is at again.
So i would continue playing and never put a ticket in and calling out for a mod is useless and they all on the other side of the world with different time zone.
When you do an ingame CS ticket, take a screenshot, note the time, day and type /loc so they can see who was in that area at that time besides you.

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox/ShamRoc/Axalon/Mini me
Platform
iOS, PC
I don’t know where to post this, but this thread seems relevant.
often times I will gather for ten minutes then move on to do something else.
That node I stopped gathering from after ten minutes, lets say I came back to it the next day. Will that ten minutes count toward exhaustion?

CalmWind

Legendary Hero
Platform
iOS, PC
I don’t know where to post this, but this thread seems relevant.
often times I will gather for ten minutes then move on to do something else.
That node I stopped gathering from after ten minutes, lets say I came back to it the next day. Will that ten minutes count toward exhaustion?
If you go back to the same node and no one else used it, yes.

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
Under gathering changes in the patch notes I took this quote:
"After a node is exhausted, it will take somewhere between 21 and 30 minutes for the node to refresh and become usable again. Logging out or changing zones will not hurry this process along"
This is only for wild nodes, in the village we can refresh nodes by visiting the village board.
Be certain never to click on an exhausted node or you might be kicked from the game.
augh, i can re-read those patch notes until I’m something and still not remember everything.
I guess I should just play and be surprised thank you.
No more questions from me.

... I will forget I wrote that btw, 😝

Reactions: Myst
  • Hahax1

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
If you go back to the same node and no one else used it, yes.
Actually, I think nodes restore themselves, though very slowly. So go back 40 minutes later and the node may indeed be already some way towards exhaustion, but by the next day it should be back to normal, I believe.

I am not certain on this though, and I may be wrong.

Reactions: Zazie and CalmWind
  • Likex2

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
iOS, PC
Under gathering changes in the patch notes I took this quote:
"After a node is exhausted, it will take somewhere between 21 and 30 minutes for the node to refresh and become usable again. Logging out or changing zones will not hurry this process along"
This is only for wild nodes, in the village we can refresh nodes by visiting the village board.
Be certain never to click on an exhausted node or you might be kicked from the game.
i should have read more carefully... I am not talking about exhausted nodes.
I will rephrase: I gather for five minutes, then go do something else (the node is NOT exhausted when I leave it). If/when I come back to that particular node, will it remember my brief gather session and the count down continue from where I left off....
or will it consider this a new session and the clock starts over.

@Diet

PS: not complaining, just trying to understand so I can plan ahead and re-adjust my habits, thank you.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
i should have read more carefully... I am not talking about exhausted nodes.
I will rephrase: I gather for five minutes, then go do something else (the node is NOT exhausted when I leave it). If/when I come back to that particular node, will it remember my brief gather session and the count down continue from where I left off....
or will it consider this a new session and the clock starts over.
As I posted elsewhere, I believe it "remembers" for a while, but "forgets" over time. But I am not certain on this.

Reactions: CaraLox
  • Likex1