Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
I believe while new classes are fun, adding new subclasses to the existing ones could open up a lot of new possibilities, add new roles to the curernt classes. Berserker is a new warrior subclass focusing on high risk high reward gameplay. It excels at high direct single target damage, smart and risky play. While the warrior class already has a dps subclass (Fury) I find it to be lacking in terms of high risk, high reward play, and also being in the fray of things its damage potential doesn't reflect it at all. In contrast Berserker is a pure dps class, with no real group support at all, and a very high damage potential. So let's take a look at this subclass and what it would actually consist of.

1) Main mechanic
The Berserker class plays a lot around with Health. The lower your Health is the more benefits you can reap. Many feats and talents focus on offering extra offensive power at low Health, or to keep you at low Health. While it can function at higher Health thresholds too, the real power comes from managing a low Health playstyle.

2) Talents

Battleborn (5 pts)
Description:
Increases your Savagery and Brutality by 2% [10%] of your Berserker Mastery. Also increases your Onslaught by 3% [15%].
Ultimate (Recklessness): Increases your Berserker Ability Power by 0,25% [25%] for every 1% of Max Health you are missing.
Note: A straight dps increaser talent, low cost, but also a core one of any Berserker builds. The ultimate can offer a strong damage boost (if playing at 10% Health you get 22,5% Berserker Power which is quite big). Obviously most players would stay at higher Health, but this already rewards a riskier play.

Frenzied Regeneration (10 pts)
Description:
Critical Strikes with Berserker feats restore 1,5% [15%] of the damage dealt as Health.
Ultimate (Bloodrage): Instantly remove 20% of your Max Health, and gain 10% increased Berserk Ability Power and 10% Haste, Savagery and Brutality for 20 seconds. While Bloodrage lasts all healing taken is reduced by 90%. Frenzied regeneration is unaffected by this.
Note: The passive part offers some healing to the class to be able to sustain itself, through critical strikes which are a very important part of this class. Bloodrage further improves DPS at the cost of less healing taken from any source other than critical strikes. Bloodrage is also great for group play as you'll take little healing from healers meaning you can stay at low Health more easily. And Bloodrage is also a great tool to get into a Health threshold you want to play in, as it has no cooldown to use.

Flanking Tactics (20 pts)
Description
: Berserker feats ignore 0,75% [15%] of your targets defenses if standing on their side or behind them.
Ultimate (Marat's Might): Damaging Berserker feats have 10% chance to occur again for no cost against your targets. This increases to 25% if the feat critical strikes. Can not be triggered from the bonus feat.
Note: Flanking Tactics promote smarter positioning. Clearly this works best for group play, however you can also utilize it in solo as the class has access to stun. Marat's Might is a simple yet fun way to increase your DPS (if anyone of you played WoW, it would be like a Windfury proc). And it is yet another talent that synergizes well with critical striking. It also synergizes well with Flanking Strike (check feats).

Outnumbered (30 pts)
Description:
While fighting more than one enemy increases the Critical Strike chance of Berserk Strike feats by 0,25% [7,5%].
Ultimate (Rage Unleashed): Each kill adds a charge of Blood Frenzy to you. At 20 charges you gain 30% increased Berserker Power for 20 seconds and your first 3 damaging feats will critically strike.
Note: While the subclass lacks feats to deal with groups, it doesn't mean it can't be good against them. Outnumbered improves your DPS so you can deal with each enemy quicker. Rage Unleashed is a lot like Holy priest's Righteousness talent, but more offense oriented. It offers a hefty dps boost every 20 kills to give you the feeling of a madly powerful warrior.

Frenzied Power (40 pts)
Description:
Increases your Berserker Ability Power by 1% [40%].
Ultimate (Bloodhunt): Killing an enemy grants 20% Attack Speed for 20 seconds and restores 5% of your maximum Mana.
Note: A very basic talent line, much like any other classes'. Bloodhunt is a lot like Warpath, however while offering bit of a DPS boost, it also adds a bit of sustain, to keep your mad frenzy going longer.

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
3) Feats

Leap
Description:
Leap to your target damaging and stunning everyone in a small radius for 3 seconds. Deals low damage.
Range: 20m
Cost: 75
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Source: Craft (weapon)
Note: Berserker's gap closer. Gives a bit of a time to land a few hits, and also take advantage of Flanking Tactics/Strike in solo.

Nimble Strike
Description:
Strike with your weapon dealing moderate damage and increasing your run speed and mounted speed by 15% for 10 seconds.
Range: Melee
Cost: 75
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Note: A basic damage dealing feat, while also allowing the berserker to get to its next target in and out of combat quicker.

Wild Strike
Description:
Strike all nearby enemies. You take 10% of the total damage done. Deals moderate damage.
Cost: 125
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Note: Berserker's only true AoE damage feat. It also offers a way to lower your health while dealing damage, and as such it plays well into the high risk, high reward mechanic.

Annihilating Strike
Description:
Strike your foe with a lethal blow. Guaranteed critical strike. High damage.
Cost: 150
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Source: Drop (weapon)
Note: A feat that lets you easily proc critical strike synergies, while also dealing great damage.

Obliterating Strike
Description:
Deal an obliterating strike against your enemy. Deals high damage. The cost of your next Obliterating Strike is increased by 50% while damage increases by 20% if used within 20 seconds. Stacks 5 times.
Range:
Melee
Cost: 150
Note: Obliterating Strike has a mechanic on its own. It grows stronger and more expensive with each strike (it's kind of an alteration of Mana Fire). If you don't mind the Mana cost, it will let you deal very high damage.

Death Strike
Description:
Deal a reckless blow against your target. Having lower Health increases your damage.
Cost: 100
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Note: Another feat that plays into the lower the Health, the more effective it is. Due to it's low cooldown this should be one of your main DPS feats.

Flanking Strike
Description:
Strike your enemy for high damage. Can only be used if behind or on the side of your target.
Cost: 125
Note: Pretty basic feat, that should be mostly used in group setting. Rewards player with "smart" positioning.

Retaliating Defenses
Description:
Make all nearby enemies focus on you for 8 seconds. 50% + [Berserker Mastery] of all damage taken is reflected back at the enemies.
Cost: 250
Cooldown: 120 seconds
Source: Elder (weapon)
Note: You might be wondering how does a tanky feat like this come into play here? Retaliating Defenses allows you to deal damage and get lower on Health, but it can also save your teammates from trouble. While a Lightning Warrior can benefit from this too, the damage will be quite a bit lower for them (and they already have enough tools to keep enemies on them).

Blood Ritual
Description:
Mark the ground around you with your blood. While in this area your critical strikes deal 15% more critical damage and enemies move 40% slower. Lasts 20 seconds.
Cost: 10% Max Health
Cooldown: 90 seconds
Source: Drop (necklace)
Note: Blood Ritual creates a killing field around you. Enemies can't escape it, and you'll deal more damage to them inside it.

Bloodrage
Description:
Instantly remove 20% of your Max Health, and gain 10% increased Berserk Ability Power and 10% Haste, Savagery and Brutality for 20 seconds. While Bloodrage lasts all healing taken is reduced by 90%. Frenzied regeneration is unaffected by this.
Range: Self
Cost: 20% Max Health
Cooldown: 1 seconds
Source: Talent

Mad Frenzy
Description:
Boosts your Berserker Mastery by X points for 20 seconds. While active, every Berserker feat cast will increase the remaining duration of Mad Frenzy by 2 seconds.
Range: Self
Cost: 0
Cooldown: 180 seconds
Source: Drop (bracer)

Reactions: V and GoGoGadget
  • Likex2

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
Last edited
Summary

+ Grows more powerful the lower your Health is
+Has tools to lower its own Health which becomes especially essential in group play where usually lot less harm comes non tank classes' way
+ Rewards smart positioning with a strong feat and talent
+ Excels in single target
+ Rewards high dps setup (high critical chance/damage)
+ Has access to Mana/Health sustain

- Lacks strong AoE options
- Can be very squishy
- Little defense/cc options
- No group support

Numbers could of course change after testing, but I think the current ones give some idea. How do you feel about a class like this? Did enjoy reading it? Would you like to see more subclasses (in general or even by me)?

Reactions: V
  • Likex1

GoGoGadget

Servant of Mallok
Characters
GoGoGadgetGo
Platform
Android, PC
I think this is pretty much what Fury should be. I could see this replace fury for sure.

Reactions: V and Dawnfire
  • Likex2

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
@GoGoGadget Yea I was thinking about that too, but it would feel like way too big of a change and I believe people wouldn't be happy taking away all the Fury stuff. I do think Fury could be a good hybrid between tank and dps, fulfilling a high damage role with some team support, while Berserker could be the top dps setup.

V

Mad Otter Games
Developer
I think this is pretty much what Fury should be. I could see this replace fury for sure.
I'm with GoGo on this one. These are great ideas, and I can easily see many of them fitting right in with Fury. I've always thought of Fury as a high risk high reward type sub-class. Maybe add a new Bard that would fill in a melee support role?

Dawnfire

Great Adventurer
Royal Guardian
Characters
Athon Dawnfire
Platform
Android, PC
@KAVE Yea I guess that's an option as well. I do felt like this could be a replacement to Fury, I'm just unsure how people would react (granted developers even consider overhauling Fury like this). But if it is a replacement I'd probably take some feats from Fury and maybe modify them a bit to fit this theme