Sarah Otter

Mad Otter Games
Developer
Hello, Everyone,

I think it’s time to issue a reminder regarding the block feature. We implemented the feature into the game so that players could avoid having communications with players whom they wished to avoid, and proactively take steps to end conflicts on their own. However, there seems to be a trend this week in which a number of players are all trying to get each other banned, and using CS, not as a constructive tool, but as a means to escalate a conflict which should have been peacefully resolved among the players themselves on that server.

If you are using the block feature, then that means you are taking steps to end a conflict. However, again, the recent trend seems to be to not block players in the hopes that you might goad each other into saying things which can then be used in screenshots to send to CS in an effort to get each other banned.

So as a reminder: Please always use the block feature as your first recourse, and make every effort to resolve conflicts among yourselves.

Please also remember that Discord is not managed by Mad Otter. So if you feel you are being harassed there, then we highly encourage you to contact your Discord server manager. We cannot ban players from the game from conversations on Discord.

As always, we take harassment seriously, and have always made every effort to protect our players. However, our players need to first and always utilize the tools in the game which they have been given, and not use CS as a means to escalate grudges, when these are issues which could be ended if all parties involved would simply stop having contact with one another.

So please keep all of this in mind. Thank you.

Haplosdog

Merchant
Characters
Haplosdog, Patrynsdog, Hapriest, Haphazard, Bark Vader.
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Oops wrong reply. Lol

Reactions: Renaiss
  • Hahax1

Stenlar1970

Warrior
Characters
Stenlar, Digress, StensShadow, HealingSten, HuntingSten
Platform
  1. PC
Guys-
I have been playing enough to understand how this can escalate into a big issue. Some of my Nostradamus thoughts:
1) Sarah and others could and would leave Discord. Which means no reminders or updates on game content and events.
2) A perm ban feature for MODS and DEVS that can remove people permanently.
Those are my thoughts on this issue.
Good day.
Sten

• Likex1

Antavious

Warrior
Characters
Antavious, suoivatna
Platform
  1. iOS
It’s important to block people when anything they say will make you want to react to it in a negative way, we are all players so bans are not the answer. We don’t need any negativity towards each other here. Don’t forget you can always periodically clear your block list to give others another chance and re-block if they fail. Forgiveness, understanding and kindness to all players.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Steam
2) A perm ban feature for MODS and DEVS that can remove people permanently.
There is one (for devs, not mods). But not all conflict requires a ban. If you are banned (especially permanently) you really, really, REALLY did mess up. There is a great deal of gray area between nice play and banworthy, which is still a lot of negativity leaking into the game. It is to conflicts such as this, that Sarah is referring when she suggests to block. It is also why she says that people must always feel free to report harassment, because there are definitely people out there, that do deserve that ban. Where block is not enough. But for a great lot of (mud)fights, a simple block and allowing some space between you and the person you don't vibe with, can solve it, and playing becomes a whole lot more peaceful and enjoyable for all 'collateral damage' on the server

• Likex1

Dejaquinn

Priestess
Platform
  1. iOS
Hello, Everyone,

I think it’s time to issue a reminder regarding the block feature. We implemented the feature into the game so that players could avoid having communications with players whom they wished to avoid, and proactively take steps to end conflicts on their own. However, there seems to be a trend this week in which a number of players are all trying to get each other banned, and using CS, not as a constructive tool, but as a means to escalate a conflict which should have been peacefully resolved among the players themselves on that server.

If you are using the block feature, then that means you are taking steps to end a conflict. However, again, the recent trend seems to be to not block players in the hopes that you might goad each other into saying things which can then be used in screenshots to send to CS in an effort to get each other banned.

So as a reminder: Please always use the block feature as your first recourse, and make every effort to resolve conflicts among yourselves.

Please also remember that Discord is not managed by Mad Otter. So if you feel you are being harassed there, then we highly encourage you to contact your Discord server manager. We cannot ban players from the game from conversations on Discord.

As always, we take harassment seriously, and have always made every effort to protect our players. However, our players need to first and always utilize the tools in the game which they have been given, and not use CS as a means to escalate grudges, when these are issues which could be ended if all parties involved would simply stop having contact with one another.

So please keep all of this in mind. Thank you.
However, when players speak in purple they are unable to be blocked. Seeing as how we have a problem with moderators abusing their positions and bullying players they don’t like, it would seem allowing them to be blocked would also be helpful to those who who like to remove themselves from the situation.

Ekimie

Hunter
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Steam
However, when players speak in purple they are unable to be blocked. Seeing as how we have a problem with moderators abusing their positions and bullying players they don’t like, it would seem allowing them to be blocked would also be helpful to those who who like to remove themselves from the situation.
While I understand your position, it is also very important that of all things, purple CANNOT be blocked. Moderators cannot do their work (keeping the peace) if their warnings cannot be read, leading to people believing they were muted/kicked without warning, or pretending they never saw it. If you do feel like a moderator modded you unjustly (warning, muting, kicking etc) or abused their power in any other way, always feel free to report it to CS with some screenies to show where you feel the mod was out of line, and Sarah will have a serious look at it and make sure she gets to the bottom of what happened.
I hope that helps

ishanroyc

Warrior
Royal Guardian
Characters
ishanroyc, ishamanroyc
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
Serious thoughts; i believe in what Sarah has said to be correct. Dislike someone? Don't like seeing them? They try to harass you? Block em ! Simple! Let the mods handle the rude fellows on world chat and I assure you! They'll take appropriate steps! Once in a blue moon you can always clear the blocked people as well like Antavious said if you feel like forgiving them. CS tickets should be raised for the MOST IMPORTANT/URGENT things only. Ofcourse there are situations where devs intervention is required, however we should let the mods handle that/be the judge of that.

Joke thoughts; Ha! Fellas! Fellas! Fellas! Why block, ban , stop talking to anyone? Just SACRIFICE THEM TO MALLOK! Sacrifice them ALL! just like me! Let's sacrifice people to Mallok together! Join the Cult of Mallok today! We have chocolate-chip cookies! (Cult of Mallok isn't a guild...)

Panthera

Grand Priestess
Royal Guardian
Platform
  1. Android
  2. PC
  3. Steam
If a MOD is abusing their position, that is a valid CS report. Just remember if one MOD is stricter than another one is, that is not necessarily position abuse. There are also times when a MOD may seem to be stricter simply because they know more than we players do about what is happening overall.

Z e r o

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Platform
  1. Steam
For anyone who has the time to read, first I would like to thank everyone who makes our job a little easier, whether you are having a problem with a player harassing you in the game or he is engaging in behavior that you deem malicious because Please take screenshots and use the BLOCK feature, this helps prevent attacks on you and the provocation from losing strength, after that contact a moderator, the servers have not 1 but several MODs so you can explain what is happening, of course in some cases it could really be a misunderstanding and the other player could just be joking or wanting to make friends, but I guarantee you (I'm not saying this for all mods) that if the player is really doing something bad, it won't we will save efforts to help, I don't like to just put nice words to generate trust in moderation I know that some may have problems with purple in the chat, but I believe in earning your trust so if we can do better please let us know your opinion, everyone who If, volunteering for the role of MOD, they are trustworthy people with ethical values that have proven necessary for the well-being of the community, some of us have ways of dealing with things by being harsher or more affectionate or even trying to cheer up the player and Don't let the game become an unpleasant experience, even with different personalities we are ready to read what you write and seek an understanding of the situation, whether you speak any language we will seek to know the cultural context if necessary, the most correct translation for some term, finally closing this part regarding the comments about MODS/PURPLE, don't think that creating a CS just to try to ban a player is something well seen if you don't have proof or what you think is subject to a permanent ban is often not, and creating false stories with manipulated screenshots will only make the situation worse, and please, if you are being harassed on discord there is always the option to block it there too, you have the option to exclude this annoyance from your life, why not to do ? ❄️ Zero.

Renaiss

Reader
Feeding trolls (instead of blocking them) is bad enough, but trying to turn ordinary people into trolls in the hopes of getting them banned is too much! Between my main & 3 alts, I had more than a few friends on US3, but I swear my block list was longer than all 4 friends lists combined. Trolls? Blocked. Political attackers? Blocked. Purveyors of profanity? Blocked. Rude people and anyone who just rubbed me the wrong way? Blocked. People with obscene character names? Blocked. Obvious cries for help with real life problems? A whispered offer to listen, followed by a block if the player persisted in ranting on world chat (most chose to chat privately). Players turning into a mob to wrongly attack someone? Defend & block as needed. 🚫

Honestly, what Sarah has described in the OP is the sort of behavior one might expect from a petulant child. I hate to think that grown ass people are engaging in this type of petty, small-minded behavior. Unfortunately, the players who are doing this probably don't read the Forums, but we can always hope, lol.

For those who don't already know this, when you block another player, that block applies to all your characters as well as to all the characters on the other player's account. This means that you only have to block that person once. Block also works on players who abuse or spam village mail: if you block the offender, you will no longer receive their mails, even if they send it to the whole village.

And of course, everyone already knows this, but just a reminder: the use of purple mod chat is NOT an abuse of power. :)
I just wanted to add that it's sometimes necessary for a mod to use purple chat when world chat is busy & the mod is responding to a player's question or request for help. There's also nothing wrong with an occasional, purple "moo" from a mod, lol. (Maybe US3 just has better mods than the other servers have, because I always found them to be friendly & helpful, even if one of them did moo a lot.) 🐮😉

IceChina

Citizen
Platform
  1. iOS
Because some Chinese gamers were banned and angry. He has been using the plug-in to surf the world channel, abusing players for 2 months, and now it is getting worse and worse, inviting players to team up with the plug-in, so that other players can not play the game normally, can you create a disabled team function? There are already a lot of players who quit playing, and they are full of money players.