Platform
Android
Last edited
Recently my Ardent Society membership expired. I love this game and I love supporting this game, but times are tough and I can't always afford to be spending on a game. BUT- on the day that my AS membership expired, I noticed that when I went to my vaults, I can no longer withdraw any of my items on the shared vault section that was previously open with the AS membership. All of the items I have in there are effectively locked behind a paywall. I think it is reasonable to expect that I should be able to withdraw all of my items from the shared vaults page. I don't have particularly valuable items in there, but that is totally not the point. I think that the practice of locking people's items away until they renew membership is frankly disgusting. I definitely did not expect this kind of predatory behavior from a game that I have grown to love so much. I seriously hope that this is just a bug or something along those lines.

Sorry if this is harsh but this upset me.

Characters
Tiffa, Ruby Wolf
Platform
Android, PC
Recently my Ardent Society membership expired. I love this game and I love supporting this game, but times are tough and I can't always afford to be spending on a game. BUT- on the day that my AS membership expired, I noticed that when I went to my vaults, I can no longer withdraw any of my items on the shared vault section that was previously open with the AS membership. All of the items I have in there are effectively locked behind a paywall. I think it is reasonable to expect that I should be able to withdraw all of my items from the shared vaults page. I don't have particularly valuable items in there, but that is totally not the point. I think that the practice of locking people's items away until they renew membership is frankly disgusting. I definitely did not expect this kind of predatory behavior from a game that I have grown to love so much. I seriously hope that this is just a bug or something along those lines.

Sorry if this is harsh but this upset me.
This was mensioned during the live stream vhen they showed the new Ardent Society stuff - the vaults will reopen when you renew your membership

Link:

Platform
Android
This was mensioned during the live stream vhen they showed the new Ardent Society stuff - the vaults will reopen when you renew your membership

Link:
That's exactly the problem here! Holding onto my items until you get my money is a predatory decision. I am all for supporting a game I love but like I said times are tough. I don't like that my items are hostage until you get my money. That's messed up any way you look at it. I am not allowed to withdraw my items until I pay and I can not support a game like that.

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
I have quite a few friends who don't always have Ardent membership (myself included.) If you're smart, you're already keeping track of when your Ardent membership is due to renew or expire. It's your responsibility to ensure that you empty out your shared vaults (specifically the two that come with AS membership) before your membership expires, if you plan not to renew. If you remove everything from those vaults a day or two before you choose to let your membership lapse, then there won't be anything "behind a paywall." Nine times out of ten, players who choose to let their Ardent membership lapse make that decision weeks in advance, if not months in advance.

Characters
Tiffa, Ruby Wolf
Platform
Android, PC
That's exactly the problem here! Holding onto my items until you get my money is a predatory decision. I am all for supporting a game I love but like I said times are tough. I don't like that my items are hostage until you get my money. That's messed up any way you look at it. I am not allowed to withdraw my items until I pay and I can not support a game like that.
Was not saying you were wrong just that it was mensioned before. They may need to add it into the Ardent Society membership page.

Kaydee

Squirrel
Platform
PC
This may well be a tactic other (high-pressure type) games use, but I am absolutely, 100% certain, that our Otters are not like that, this is merely
the way it's always been, and there is mention, that the AS vaults are accessible only with AS, ergo: they lock up when subscription ends.
Having said that, our Otters are always open to suggestions, such as:
~making it clearer, when signing up, that those vaults close up when AS ends;
~possible solutions, such as changing how these vaults work, like the idea in Kitty's post #3.

Argus

Grand Priest
Platform
Android
Not sure if it will help or not but you may try to raise a customer service ticket, a one time request to release the item which is locked.

Reactions: CaraLox
  • Likex1

Zazie

BRA Member
Royal Guardian
Characters
Zazie, Shiny, Skip, Auntie
Platform
PC
Not sure if it will help or not but you may try to raise a customer service ticket, a one time request to release the item which is locked.
Yup. That's always worth a shot. You don't want to bug CS for trivial matters, but if you're really upset about something like that, you do have the option to respectfully speak your mind.

Years ago, when I was a new player, I had items in bag #4, which I hadn't permanently unlocked but which was only unlocked for a month. (We used to have the option to unlock bags for a 30 day period.) I had something or other in there of great importance that I couldn't access after the 30 day period elapsed. I submitted a CS ticket about it, and was given a 2 week time period in which to remove items from the bag before it reverted to its usual locked state. (Months later, I chose to permanently unlock that bag.)

It's been so long since it happened that I had completely forgotten all about it, but I definitely remember that the Otters were very kind about it. :)

Zeph

Adventurer
Characters
Zephyr Arya
Platform
PC
They are indeed kind, years ago I deleted a toon I no longer played, I had transferred all items to others but had forgotten about gold. Otters kindly reinstated my toon so I could send the gold to another before deleting again.

Anthem

Bog Frog
Platform
PC
Yup. That's always worth a shot. You don't want to bug CS for trivial matters, but if you're really upset about something like that, you do have the option to respectfully speak your mind.

Years ago, when I was a new player, I had items in bag #4, which I hadn't permanently unlocked but which was only unlocked for a month. (We used to have the option to unlock bags for a 30 day period.) I had something or other in there of great importance that I couldn't access after the 30 day period elapsed. I submitted a CS ticket about it, and was given a 2 week time period in which to remove items from the bag before it reverted to its usual locked state. (Months later, I chose to permanently unlock that bag.)

It's been so long since it happened that I had completely forgotten all about it, but I definitely remember that the Otters were very kind about it. :)
I just unlocked the 4th bag on one of my toons. I had a ring stuck there for years.

Platform
Android
Well unfortunately for me I didn't know about this. I never expected my items to be locked away hostage until they get more money from me. I am not going to log in and play anymore until this issue is fixed. I am not talking about me getting my items. I am talking about ALL players. When AS expires you should still be able to withdraw. Until that is implemented I will not return. The Otters chose to make this decision. They also just lost a paying customer. I refuse to support these type of predatory micro transaction tactics.

Reactions: Seawolf
  • Wowx1

CaraLox

Jack Of All Trades
Characters
Loxana/Mrs Doubtfire/Cara Lox
Platform
iOS, PC
Oh well, it's impossible to make everyone happy.

Arjuna

Grand Priest
Characters
Arjuna, Lord Villian
Platform
Android
I am not going to log in and play anymore until this issue is fixed. I am not talking about me getting my items. I am talking about ALL players.
You have been given a reasonable solution to your problem (contact customer service), but you seem to be refusing to follow that advice in preference of being fussy.

I would like a "Roll Eyes" response to the Like button.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Last edited
I am sorry that you feel that the shared vault which is a benefit of Ardent Membership being locked when membership ends is "predatory" but I respectfully disagree with that opinion.The shared vaults are part of the AS package. I do not consider it unreasonable that the vault does not remain open once AS membership expires. If items could still be removed from the vault after membership expired, it would be perfectly feasible for players to store stacks of items such as pies, rare gathers or refined mats and simply take them out as required, effectively gaining the use of the vaults indefinitely. If a time limit were imposed (say two days grace after AS ran out) that would simply delay, not prevent, the situation you describe.

If any paid items (that is, items bought with crowns) are locked in the shared vault, I would suggest (as others have already done) that you submit a CS ticket asking that those items be moved to an open vault. If the items within the vault are not paid items, I am sorry, but I do not see what the complaint is.

P.S. Please may I remind all posters to remember to keep posts polite and refrain from personal comments.

Majenta

Villager
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
Perhaps a possible solution to this issue could be the following.

Upon non renewal of AS membership, there would be a grace period of (say) a week, during which the shared vault would remain open. At the end of this time, all items in the shared vault would be emptied into the overflow bag, from where they would be transferred to the players normal inventory or the player could place them in vaults.

Renewing AS during the week's grace period would reset everything back to normal.

I offer this simply as a possible solution. I personally do not consider it necessary, but it would seem to avoid issues of players having items locked away, whilst avoiding the inconvenience of having the shared vaults empty themselves every time your AS membership ran out.

Kaydee

Squirrel
Platform
PC
Well unfortunately for me I didn't know about this. I never expected my items to be locked away hostage until they get more money from me. I am not going to log in and play anymore until this issue is fixed. I am not talking about me getting my items. I am talking about ALL players. When AS expires you should still be able to withdraw. Until that is implemented I will not return. The Otters chose to make this decision. They also just lost a paying customer. I refuse to support these type of predatory micro transaction tactics.
Sorry, but I just don't understand your belief, that this is an intentional ploy, to force people to pay, in order to get items they kept in clearly described as membership only vaults ~i.e. these vaults are only available when you have an active AS Membership. Using the simplest of logics, that means when you do not have AS, you also do not have these vaults available for use, including not for use as storage for seldom used items, which can sit there until you decide to use them. There's even a handy little timer, to remind you of how much time you have left, until the vaults lock up again, unless you decide to renew your membership.

IrishElf

Citizen
Forum Moderator
Platform
PC
I am sorry you are so upset but name calling and making demands in public isn't the way to settle anything.

It was suggested you contact Customer Support and I would ask you do that please.

Status
Not open for further replies.